shape
carat
color
clarity

Selling my 3.64 AVR.......am I crazy?

Crystal72384

Shiny_Rock
So after a lot of thought, I have decided to sell my 3.64 L VS1 AVR :(sad We have a lot of things we are trying to save for and it really started to bother me that I had such an expensive ring sitting in my jewelry box that I rarely ever wore. So......I sent it back to Good Old Gold and I'm hoping they can find someone that will love it as much as I do.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not crazy. I i have a piece of jewelry I don't wear I sell it, I feel the same. If it's just in a box, what's the point?

Your decision seems level headed

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sell things I don't wear or get bored with, so if you have multiple items or something you don't love all the time and wear that seems like a valid decision.

Crystal72384

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Neil and arkieb1. It's not that I don't love this ring...to me it is absolute perfection. I wouldn't have guessed in a million years that I would ever consider selling it but things happen I guess.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Priorities change. Life events happen. How were you to know today's circumstances when you bought this stone? Luckily you have a stone that retains its value. Good luck with the sale.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your ring. May I ask why you don't wear it daily?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not even a little bit crazy.

I would, personally, plan to devote a portion of the funds you get into something nice that you WILL wear.

So maybe a nice five stone with AVR's? That would be pretty awesome. Five 30 pointers across the top of your fingers. Maybe in a nice ( color and eyeclean.

That way you get AVR's still. In a more wearable form. And still get a lot of money to help out with expenses.

Win/Win.

Here's another pricescopers AVR band: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-10-tcw-graduated-5-stone-avr-ring.187752/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-10-tcw-graduated-5-stone-avr-ring.187752/[/URL]

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a number of members work their way through various diamonds, different cuts, different sizes, many people on here downgrade as well as upgrade because of changes in priorities and circumstances and some figure out that having large stones isn't practical for everyone for every day wear. People have small children and work out how impractical nice jewellery can be..... We see it all the time here, so you are not crazy at all!!!

I agree with the others perhaps you just need to downsize or consider a really beautiful but wearable band, or buy something bright and colourful like a much cheaper coloured stone instead.

Crystal72384

Shiny_Rock
Sagefemme- Thank you! I'm hoping that it will sell quickly....like ripping a bandaid off LOL

Nala- I still really love this ring, I just found myself wearing my wedding band everyday. I don't work because I stay home with my son and I never wore it around the house because I was afraid of something happening to it. If I did wear it to the store, it was like I couldn't use my left hand. So i guess it just comes down to my being scared of whacking it on something.

Gypsy- YES!! That is exactly what I was thinking! A great compromise :appl: I have always wanted an eternity band as the tiny band I have now is a 2mm 3/4 with tiny diamond chips in it. I am constantly having to flip it around so the diamonds are on the top.

Arkieb1- Your absolutely right. When we bought this stone we had just moved into our recently built house and thought we would stay there forever. We have since sold that house, purchased land and are trying to save to build another house...(one with an in law suite for my parents). I have also lost a large amount of weight so I am having skin surgery this summer and the "practical" side of me just thought It was silly to take on debt (and push building our house back even more) to pay for this when I could sell my ring to pay for it.

I think you guys are spot on about downsizing to a more wearable band.

susief

Shiny_Rock
I don't think you're crazy, but I suggest you take time and think it through very carefully.

I sold my upgraded engagement ring in similar circumstances (new baby, rarely wearing a ring because of the practicalities of childcare and work, preferred the comfort of my plain band). Although I got a decent amount back, I took a huge hit on what I paid. I didn't miss it straight away, but a year or so later, I regretted it. In retrospect, I should have just re-set it into a more practical setting. I felt I couldn't spend such a large amount of money again having "wasted" so much on the sale of the first, and diamond prices had risen, so I hated to spend such a lot more for the same thing.

If you love it, and can see yourself wearing it again one day (perhaps in a different setting?) then think carefully about selling it unless you absolutely have to.

But if you need the money, are completely sure you won't wear it in future, and/or can get back almost what you paid by selling it, then go for it.

Feel free to ignore me if this doesn't help. I just wish someone had said it to me when I was in full must-sell mode...

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I certainly don't have a diamond of that size, but I do have some similar circumstances to you, in that I'm an at home mom and taking care of small people.

If you're scared of wearing it, maybe a more secure setting? I'm sure everyone else here can help you more than I can, but maybe a bezel setting. It won't catch on stuff or scratch your kids, and it should be very safe in there. I've worn my rings everyday through taking care of the kids and whatnot. I just don't wear it in the garden, or when I go to the beach. I think the sand isn't good for it. Maybe you just needed a chance to get used to it?

I also, lastly, would consider the money you will lose if you sell it.

If you do decide to sell it, then I am very sure it is the right decision for you and I hope it sells quickly for you. It sounds just gorgeous.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are doing what is right for you. Gypsy and Niel have suggested a great compromise, wearable and blingy! :appl:
Good luck with everything!

Crystal72384

Shiny_Rock
Neil- thank you for that link..I have seen a couple of these on here and they are amazing!

Susief- thank you for the words of caution. This is something that has also crossed my mind...what if I decide in a year that I want it back? I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, so if my ring doesn't happen to sell then I will know that I am meant to keep it and I will have Good Old Gold send it back to me.

BeekeeperBetty- I think I will always be afraid of smacking it on something no matter that it is set in. Im not sure if you have seen the original post with pictures https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/lad-cvb-perfection.217934/ but I really can't imagine having it set any other way.

Bonfire- thank you for the kind words!

susief

Shiny_Rock
I think that is sensible Crystal. If you price it so that you don't lose much, it's a win-win situation and you can leave it to the universe to decide! I actually wouldn't have regretted selling my ring if I'd got close to what I paid for it. Good luck either way :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can certainly understand it, because I have had the same struggle. Even a 2.3 ct stone is large in my world, and I really don't need one this size most of the time. But I found that I would lose too much money to have Jon resell it. So for now I do wear it and will continue to do so until prices go up and allow me to get closer to what I paid for it (if I consider selling it later). I hope you are having him keep it in that setting because I think it is perfect for the stone.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with a quick sell!!! Dont think you're crazy at all. We have had a handful of people that have downgraded to more
wearable options and I would do the same thing if I could get most of my money back out of it. Dust for quick sell!

Crystal72384

Shiny_Rock
Susief- thank you!

Diamondseeker2006- yes I did ask them to try to sell it as a whole ring as well. If someone just wanted the diamond, I would just keep the setting and try to find something to put in it.

Tyty333- thank you! They have only had it for about a week but I keep hoping to get that email saying someone loved it and bought it!

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for posting this! I've been waffling back and forth for years about selling my OEC too and have the same sentiments about only "sometimes" wearing something that costs so much money! With 2 young kids, my recent focus has been on other things (college, retirement!) and having so much money tied up in a bauble seems frivolous (today anyway). I look forward to hearing that your amazing stone sold and can't wait to see what you replace it with! I do echo the "get the blingy 5 stone to tide you over" as I've been wearing a gorgeous 5 stone ACA the past year and feels that it satiates my sparkle appetite just fine on most days. Together with a super sparkly tennis bracelet keeps me glittering from across the room.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've very recently come to the conclusion of "if it's not being worn, it can be sold"... I'm in the process of streamlining my collection right now. Even though I love the pieces and think they're gorgeous, it just doesn't make sense to keep all of them.

I hate that you'll let your AVR go, because it's beautiful, but I completely understand. You're not crazy... you're responsible and level-headed. :)) Dust for a quick sale!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to second jerichosmom's idea of the WF ACA 5 stone band. That is a beautiful look and I want one just to wear when I don't want to wear the wedding set. I gave up on finding 5 matching AVRs a long time ago and Jon never restocked them. To have 5 custom cut to match would likely be much more expensive than the ACAs.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1460408789|4018061 said:
Just wanted to second jerichosmom's idea of the WF ACA 5 stone band. That is a beautiful look and I want one just to wear when I don't want to wear the wedding set. I gave up on finding 5 matching AVRs a long time ago and Jon never restocked them. To have 5 custom cut to match would likely be much more expensive than the ACAs.

This is true. But if I was going for MRB I wouldn't pay for ACA's. I would go for IDJ GIA 3X stones if I had to have the lab reports. But I personally would not need or want lab reports in band with stones at 30 points or less. I hope to buy such a band myself in the next few years. A seven stone with 25 pointers. I have already talked to Wink about getting stones that are without a lab report, but confirmed within a color and clarity range I approve (for me that would be around G SI1 eyeclean and well matched) with Sarin reports and idealscope images to confirm performance.

I would not do custom cut stones personally either. But I am very thrifty when it comes to my jewelry. I find that I like my pieces and find them more wearable if I got a great deal on them. So, if I can find a second hand ring that fits my requirements that is almost always my first preference. I don't need new.

Crystal72384

Shiny_Rock
jerichosmom said:
Thank you for posting this! I've been waffling back and forth for years about selling my OEC too and have the same sentiments about only "sometimes" wearing something that costs so much money! With 2 young kids, my recent focus has been on other things (college, retirement!) and having so much money tied up in a bauble seems frivolous (today anyway). I look forward to hearing that your amazing stone sold and can't wait to see what you replace it with! I do echo the "get the blingy 5 stone to tide you over" as I've been wearing a gorgeous 5 stone ACA the past year and feels that it satiates my sparkle appetite just fine on most days. Together with a super sparkly tennis bracelet keeps me glittering from across the room.

Thank you!

msop04 said:
I've very recently come to the conclusion of "if it's not being worn, it can be sold"... I'm in the process of streamlining my collection right now. Even though I love the pieces and think they're gorgeous, it just doesn't make sense to keep all of them.

I hate that you'll let your AVR go, because it's beautiful, but I completely understand. You're not crazy... you're responsible and level-headed. :)) Dust for a quick sale!

Thank you!

diamondseeker2006 said:

I have spoke with Charles at GOG and he told me they have 25 point AVRs that I could put in a band...

Gypsy said:
diamondseeker2006|1460408789|4018061 said:

This is true. But if I was going for MRB I wouldn't pay for ACA's. I would go for IDJ GIA 3X stones if I had to have the lab reports. But I personally would not need or want lab reports in band with stones at 30 points or less. I hope to buy such a band myself in the next few years. A seven stone with 25 pointers. I have already talked to Wink about getting stones that are without a lab report, but confirmed within a color and clarity range I approve (for me that would be around G SI1 eyeclean and well matched) with Sarin reports and idealscope images to confirm performance.

I would not do custom cut stones personally either. But I am very thrifty when it comes to my jewelry. I find that I like my pieces and find them more wearable if I got a great deal on them. So, if I can find a second hand ring that fits my requirements that is almost always my first preference. I don't need new.

Do you think that I would be able to see the flower patter in 25 point AVRs?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know. Truly. I've never seen a 25 point AVR.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The smallest AVRs I have seen were .60. I have some small WF ACA's so it might be interesting to order a little AVR to look at and compare. A lot would depend on pricing for me.

Oh, and one other factor, if they are cut deeper, they may face up smaller than a .25 ideal cut mrb. So diameter is something to ask about.

Crystal72384

Shiny_Rock
Re: Selling my 3.64 AVR.......am I cr

diamondseeker2006|1460591833|4019017 said:
The smallest AVRs I have seen were .60. I have some small WF ACA's so it might be interesting to order a little AVR to look at and compare. A lot would depend on pricing for me.

Oh, and one other factor, if they are cut deeper, they may face up smaller than a .25 ideal cut mrb. So diameter is something to ask about.

Thanks for the pointers! They said they were 25 pointers, g-h color, vvs-vs for $850 each. Im not sure about the diameter, I will have to check on that.

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
If you're going to replace the big ol' solitaire with a 5 stone, I think you'd want to get larger stones....like maybe .35-40 pts each. I think .25 cts would be too small and won't have the equivalent sparkle quotient. My OEC is 10mm (3.55 ct and my 5 stone is 1.55 ct (.31 ct each). I'd prefer slightly larger (at least 2ct now) as DSS set in quickly. I bought my 5 stone pre-loved so the cost to upgrade to a 2ct+ directly with WF wouldn't make sense. Erica from Love Affair recently posted an preloved OEC 5 stone 2ct CVB band for around 5K. That may be a good option for you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results