clarity

Greet our new featherbaby

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1459195659|4012176 said:
Thanks all.
Keep them name suggestion coming.

Funny I was pretty much decided on Tico till I found that website.
I also have a soft spot for, Pickles.

Stupid me.
I meant to post this pick in my above post under the caption ... Except for work Puppy went everywhere with me, hiding in my shirt.
When I talked to someone he'd climb up and peek out to see who it was.
Our new bird already likes to hang out in my shirt.
:appl:

Parrots just want to be included in as much of your life as possible.
In the wild they are socializing and involved nearly every waking moment.
Mine 'helps' me in the kitchen, joins me in the shower, and perches on the head of my guitar when I play.
Sure they poop, but you'll learn their timing, put paper down, have bird-safe stations around the house, and adjust without much trouble or mess.
People talk about potty training their birds, but really it's the human that gets trained.
You'll wear certain bird-safe shirts with holes and chewed-up necks. :lol:

I get a little preachy about parrots, but only because they have been such an enriching contribution to my life.
I encourage others to share a challenging but deeply rewarding relationship with a companion parrot.

Interesting because that clingy trait is not just with Parrots, my father has an Australian Rainbow Lorikeet that is very protective of him when he is on him. He also will laugh when there's a group of people around and just acts crazy in general if he has an audience.
His name is Rambo since the first thing he did when he arrived was pick a fight with the cat and bite him right on the nose. Ever since the cat has been petrified of the bird :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1459196986|4012189 said:
Interesting because that clingy trait is not just with Parrots, my father has an Australian Rainbow Lorikeet that is very protective of him when he is on him. He also will laugh when there's a group of people around and just acts crazy in general if he has an audience.
His name is Rambo since the first thing he did when he arrived was pick a fight with the cat and bite him right on the nose. Ever since the cat has been petrified of the bird :lol:

Yes, parrots often bond strongly with one human and sometimes it's a problem.
My SO did not even touch Puppy for a couple years.
(In fact I named him Puppy secretly hoping to get my SO to like him since he's a dog-person)
Then one day he picked him up and Puppy fell in love/obsessed/psych-obsessed over my SO.

He'd crawl under doors to get to him.

If Puppy and I were alone he was sweet and affectionate.
But if my SO was in the room I couldn't even touch Puppy.

Weird.

I've asked friends and neighbors to help me socialize this new bird.
Hopefully the baby interacting and being handled by many different people will help.

And yes, I've heard many stories of parrots putting cats and even large dogs in their place.
Parrots would make good CEOs. :lol:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrats and welcome to the newest, gorgeous member of your family!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear about Puppy...

I like Taco, Truitti, and Skittles.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful bird. Congratulations on the new addition.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Little sweetie! :love:

cheers--Sharon

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so happy for this parrot.

You sound like such a wonderful owner.

And he/she is so cute!

(and so is your SO! At first I thought it was you but then I saw your response to missy. You are always saying you're ugly you should stop saying that. :(sad Ugly is such an ugly word to call yourself.)

I'm sorry about puppy :(sad I can't even imagine the horror. :((

(ETA oh and I love the picture with your 2 doggies one of them is looking up at your SO so adoringly. So cute.)

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, you have a beautiful family. Congrats on your new addition :)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Greet our new featherbabyy

Aww what a pretty bird! I had a friend years ago with a bird but it wasn't a bird they ever really played with or did anything with so I didn't even know they were social like that. (It wasn't a parrot, it was a parakeet so maybe they're not as social and friendly I don't know) I wish I could help socialize your new baby. I like gonzo...but I kinda have a thing for the muppets. We had a dog named zeke when we were little and also one whose middle names were Teeka Tocka.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Greet our new featherbabyy

packrat|1459201920|4012233 said:
Aww what a pretty bird! I had a friend years ago with a bird but it wasn't a bird they ever really played with or did anything with so I didn't even know they were social like that. (It wasn't a parrot, it was a parakeet so maybe they're not as social and friendly I don't know) I wish I could help socialize your new baby. I like gonzo...but I kinda have a thing for the muppets. We had a dog named zeke when we were little and also one whose middle names were Teeka Tocka.

The 'lowly' budgie can be a wonderful, friendly and tame pet.
They don't have a clear voice like some larger parrots but some budgies talk well with little squeaky voices.
They are under $20 and if you get a baby they are relatively easy to tame.

Babies will have solid black eyes and some black on their beaks.
At maturity the eyes have a lighter iris around the black pupil and the beaks are solid tan.

Since they are already so inexpensive it is nearly impossible to find hand fed budgies.
They just can't charge enough for them to make them commercially viable.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1459201091|4012226 said:
... You are always saying you're ugly you should stop saying that. :(sad Ugly is such an ugly word to call yourself.)

... but usually I post I'm devastatingly-handsome. :naughty:
I'm not sure which is the bigger lie.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1459203811|4012248 said:
CJ2008|1459201091|4012226 said:
... You are always saying you're ugly you should stop saying that. :(sad Ugly is such an ugly word to call yourself.)

... but usually I post I'm devastatingly-handsome. :naughty:
I'm not sure which is the bigger lie.

hahahaha OK I didn't realize that. So it balances out. ::)

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Aw, your new baby is gorgeous! Another vote for the name Pickles, such a funny sweet name. I get the feeling that he/she is going to be a love bug.

Sorry to hear about Puppy. It's been many years since I've had birds in the house. I kept my cage/home/jail if I ever got another feather baby.

I recently had to say goodbye to my beloved dog of 16+ years. He was my number 1. Sorry, didn't mean to thread jack.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gothgrrl|1459207356|4012281 said:
I recently had to say goodbye to my beloved dog of 16+ years. He was my number 1. Sorry, didn't mean to thread jack.

So sorry for your loss.
I don't know how we will cope.

Worse, one will go first and being littermates they are tightly bonded.
So the survivor will look all over the house for her sissy.

Crap, there's something in my eyes now.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice Conure Kenny!!
Enjoy him/her- (s)he's beautiful.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Kenny. Yes, they are such a part of our lives. Giving us so much love. Sorry, didn't mean to be a Debbie downer.

On a happy note, I bet you are super duper good looking. That's why you won't post a pic of yourself. I don't know you, but I like you. Your personality is just like my husbands. Brutally honest, (didn't mean to hurt your feelings) tell it like it is, but very loyal to the ones they love. When I read your posts, it feels like I've known you for years. Weird, huh. :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cute bird and doggies too!

I used to keep budgies when I was young, even had a second generation.

Then I came over to UK and went to school, and that put an end to bird-keeping.

DK :)) :halo:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a fun thread Kenny, enjoying your photos & learning about your new fur baby! How large will this breed be when mature? I immediately hit on Tico when I first read that name. So another vote for Tico. I hope you continue to post pics, we can enjoy her/him through you! :love: :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarahb|1459211650|4012307 said:
What a fun thread Kenny, enjoying your photos & learning about your new fur baby! How large will this breed be when mature? I immediately hit on Tico when I first read that name. So another vote for Tico. I hope you continue to post pics, we can enjoy her/him through you! :love: :wavey:

Internet sources says the weight range of Green Cheek Conures is 60 to 80 grams.
My baby averages 55 g + - a couple g as the contents of the digestive system varies.

I weigh it often since losing much weight can be fatal at this age.
I need to watch for weight loss since I'm changing its diet.
If he drops much I must add a bit more of his old food and slow down the transition to a healthier diet.

I suspect when mature it won't look noticeably larger.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your new addition! :clap: What a sweet little baby! :love: :love: :love: :love: He/She is so very beautiful! :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After some thought (don't know why this is sticking in my head!) I vote Pickles too. Cute little name for a cute little bird. I have a couple of friends with birds - one with an African Gray and another with a Cockatiel - they are far more charming than I would have ever realized! The African Gray is named Max and makes huge messes with his food, paper and water. He sings the Marine Corps hymn and mocks the ringing of the telephone. I'm not sure I could live with him but I love visiting him! The Cockatiel is named Nibbles and is just a sweet little bird.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kenny|1459212033|4012312 said:
sarahb|1459211650|4012307 said:

Internet sources says the weight range of Green Cheek Conures is 60 to 80 grams.
My baby averages 55 g + - a couple g as the contents of the digestive system varies.

I weigh it often since losing much weight can be fatal at this age.
I need to watch for weight loss since I'm changing its diet.
If he drops much I must add a bit more of his old food and slow down the transition to a healthier diet.

I suspect when mature it won't look noticeably larger.

Just googled the breed--never realized parrots can be so social. Just looked this up too, a pound has 453 grams, so 60-80 grams is not big at all!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does he fly? Or can he even?

WeeOui

Rough_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh! I love him!! Or her! I know you said gender-neutral names, but I think she looks like a Fraulein Kerfuffle. Or maybe he looks like a Monsieur Tootenagle.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
We need more pictures of 'baby' with Kizzy and Yaya. Feel free to post a gazillion pics.

When I had my birds, I taught them to leave her alone. And anytime she would fly off the perch onto the floor, doggy stay far away.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a sweetheart!! :love:

Congrats on the new addition, Kenny!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WeeOui|1459219273|4012367 said:
Oh my gosh! I love him!! Or her! I know you said gender-neutral names, but I think she looks like a Fraulein Kerfuffle. Or maybe he looks like a Monsieur Tootenagle.

:lol:

That reminds me.
In the 1960s my sister had a cat she named Lord Snowden.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gothgrrl|1459222039|4012386 said:
We need more pictures of 'baby' with Kizzy and Yaya. Feel free to post a gazillion pics.

When I had my birds, I taught them to leave her alone. And anytime she would fly off the perch onto the floor, doggy stay far away.

Thanks.
I'll eventually post more pics.

Our dogs too really leave the bird alone.
They've learned their lesson, ya don't mess with the bird.
But my birds have sometimes enjoyed messing with the dogs ... just for the drama of watching them run away.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1459218739|4012362 said:
Does he fly? Or can he even?

Not now since the wings are clipped.
They don't actually clip the flesh/muscle/bone of the wing itself, just feathers.
It hurts them no more than cutting your finger nails.

Every year all feathers gradually fall out as they are replaced by new ones, aka molting.
When the new ones come in the bird will be able to fly.
When this happens many birds convert from cuddly lovebuckets to terrors from Hell.
Something about power and freedom replacing dependency for transport I assume.

There are two philosophies on wing clipping technique.
A full clip:

... or leave 2 or 3 feathers at the end so a bird can stop a fall more gently:

screen_shot_2016-03-28_at_9.png

screen_shot_2016-03-28_at_1.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whether to clip the wings is more controversial than politics or religion.
Debate and emotion rages.

Both choices have pros and cons

Reasons to clip
Safety!
Bird can't break neck flying into windows or mirrors
Can't burn by flying onto a hot stove or land on operating toaster
Can't drown by landing in toilet or aquarium.
Can't be poisoned by chewing on toxic plants it flew to
Can't fly out a door or window or up into a ceiling fan
Clipped birds are less aggressive and independent, more affectionate and docile
Curtains, blinds, lampshades, furniture, and door and window casings will not get chewed up
Less mess everywhere, feathers, dander, poop ... Clean up is limited to the bird-safe zones you've established around the house.
A large parrot's wingspan is too wide fly in a typical home without knocking into things

Reasons to not clip
Some feel it's cruel to deny flight to a bird, though not as cruel as declawing a cat.
More exercise helps prevent boredom, obesity, feather picking and a shorter life
Some people just love the nature-feeling of a bird flying around the house
Ability to escape attack by another animal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results