shape
carat
color
clarity

If you couldn't afford or didn't want a diamond e-ring...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: If you couldn't afford or didn't want a diamond e-ring..

HI:

Wide yellow gold band app. 10mm. Hammered. Or brushed gold, like the one my Mom used to wear. I hope she honors me with it one day!

cheers--Sharon

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Several years ago my husband and I got matching yellow gold celtic wedding bands. We've been married 33 years this year. I wanted something matching. I wear it all the time, and especially when he's away. It's kind of sentimental of me, and an old-fashioned idea, but I went from diamonds to plain band. It's heavy and wide and basically indestructible. I'm practical. :cheeky:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

I would probably opt for a simple platinum band. :wavey:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A yellow gold claddagh with an emerald in the center.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love this thread! Especially because we couldn't afford diamonds, so I got labradorite set in silver. Some days I'm like Kenny and I just wear a plain silver band. Silver is the white metal with the highest reflection of light- shiny! And my labradorite just gleams :)

That being said, I'm thrilled we are shopping for a diamond(s) now. Hehe.

fd341e7e61282709c60acccfd3479f60.jpg

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

8aaf2f8a2b5c12dade317ed018101b4d.jpg

Gotta love the classic comfort fit!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pearaffair, very pretty and classic! Is it yellow gold or is it just reflecting background color? Can't tell very well. I love a shiny plain band.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal|1453423976|3979415 said:
HI:

Wide yellow gold band app. 10mm. Hammered. Or brushed gold, like the one my Mom used to wear. I hope she honors me with it one day!

cheers--Sharon

Your mom's band sounds lovely, Sharon!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If I didn't want a diamond ring I'd have a sapphire ring.

If I wanted a diamond band only I'd get an eternity band with all EC.

If I couldn't afford gems or diamonds I'd want a 5mm comfort fit gold band.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

In Scandinavia, most people use a plain gold wedding band as their engagement ring and switch hand (from left to right) when they get married :)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Scandinavian|1454408209|3985549 said:
In Scandinavia, most people use a plain gold wedding band as their engagement ring and switch hand (from left to right) when they get married :)

I love that, it seems like such a nice tradition. I have heard the man wears an "engagement" band too.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Laila619|1454420766|3985588 said:

I love that, it seems like such a nice tradition. I have heard the man wears an "engagement" band too.
Yes that is right. When the girls engagement ring is a plain gold ring, the man normally wears the same plain gold ring as the girl. Most buy 1 or 2 mm wider for the man to make the bands look identical (as the men normally has a larger ring size). If the girl gets a solitaire diamond for engagement ring, the gold bands are bought as wedding rings, and the man does not wear an engagement ring :) If a solitaire is chosen (much more normal with a plain gold ring, amongst our friends, only I got a diamond version), the engagement ring is normally a small diamond (typically 0.2 - 0.5 ct), nothing flashy or blingy. I think the idea is that it is an every day ring that shows that you are "taken", not a piece of jewelry if you know what I mean. No halos or anything fancy :) (Showing off money is bad tast to most people in Scandinavia - unless you are talking about a car, hahaha..)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We have this tradition too even though we aren't Scandinavian. The similarity is interesting. In any case, non-diamond means I'll go for a CS e-ring. If budget is tight, I'd get a 22K etched/carved yellow gold band.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono, may I respectfully request your presence over on the "Kate and the missing ring thread"? :D

We are discussing the quality of Kate's sapphire and now its size. We need a pair of expert eyes like yours on the job! Can't wait to hear your opinion. :appl:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pearaffair, I think your rings are really gorgeous and very unique. You talk about silver and labradorite and not being able to afford a diamond before - well, if there's one thing I've learned it's that "real" jewelry doesn't have to be expensive. I have some truly gorgeous pieces that are completely real (proper natural stones like iolite and peridot set in 925 sterling silver) and were very inexpensive. They are no less beautiful than some of the more expensive things I have. I love the way you rock the silver and an uncommon-yet-beautiful stone.

But I also understand your excitement about a diamond!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd wear a skinny ~2mm rounded yellow gold band. I simply love this look, it's so sophisticated and classy!

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock

If money was no object, I would want an elongated cushion shaped blue sapphire solitaire with the most electric/velvety/bright but deep blue I could find.

On a budget I would opt for a lavender spinel or an eternity or engraved band.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jambalaya said:
Pearaffair, I think your rings are really gorgeous and very unique. You talk about silver and labradorite and not being able to afford a diamond before - well, if there's one thing I've learned it's that "real" jewelry doesn't have to be expensive. I have some truly gorgeous pieces that are completely real (proper natural stones like iolite and peridot set in 925 sterling silver) and were very inexpensive. They are no less beautiful than some of the more expensive things I have. I love the way you rock the silver and an uncommon-yet-beautiful stone.

But I also understand your excitement about a diamond!

Beautiful perspective :)! I like the way you look at things!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Those of you who chose a big sapphire over a diamond were probably not thinking about the amount of money we had when my husband and I got engaged! I have posted my engagement ring (which I have never given up in any "upgrade") here before. It stretched his budget, I could tell! We bought it and our two matching 18K gold wedding bands when we went down to Genoa from Paris one weekend so that I could meet his parents after we had decided to get married. It has two 1 point diamonds (they may be white sapphires) nesting inside an 18K gold oval. When my husband's mother saw it, she cried.

Deb
:saint:

agbfgenova18kring2010.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Laila619|1454373530|3985368 said:
canuk-gal|1453423976|3979415 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Your mom's band sounds lovely, Sharon!

Laila--thank you :)) :wavey:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jambalaya|1453310896|3978616 said:
If it was because I didn't want a diamond, I'd have an amazing blue sapphire ring.

If it was a matter of money, there are plenty of pretty and inexpensive rings out there. I'd probably have an aquamarine or a tourmaline. Or, as an example, if we were young and/or didn't have much money for an e-ring at all, I'd be extremely content with this pretty tanzanite ring for approx $480 after 10% discount, with a matching bead-style YG wedding ring to beef it up. I think this ring just goes to show that you don't need to spend a fortune to have a very pretty ring indeed. http://www.bluenile.com/14k-tanzanite-ring-yellow-gold_57013?elem=img&track=product

Wow, that is a gorgeous ring, Jambalaya! I finally figured out how to get BN links to work. The beading is so unique!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results