shape
carat
color
clarity

What's the biggest lie you ever told?

Are you a liar?

• 1. Never I always tell the truth no matter what...George Washington rocks and the truth shall set yo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Rarely, I just don't feel good lying even when it seems justified. Less than twice a year.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • 3. Occasionally I have to in order to spare someone hurt feelings and pain. Less than once a month.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • 4. Often to make life easier without causing chaos. No more than once a week.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • 5. Most of the time. I enjoy creating the fantasy and people are easier to deal with when you lie. G

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer not to tell any lies at all - most of the time I am successful - I have spent time rationalizing certain statements so that I am comfortable with their truth - for example, occasionally I will call in sick to work, saying I don't feel well and am staying home - in my own head, I have decided that "not feeling well" can mean "not feeling able to face a work-day" - and for social invitations I sometimes decline and explain I'm unable to attend due to other plans - while some of those people may believe I have another social engagement, the reality is that the "other plan" is one of my own making (i.e., I have a book I'm eager to get to, or I prefer to do errands during that time slot).

In my younger days, I did not realize that I do not owe explanations or calendar entries to anyone whose invitation I am declining, so back then I did offer white lies to back-up my "no." But I did not feel comfortable with this practice - particularly because I say "no" to invitations much more often than I ever say "yes" - so there were a lot of white lies. Fortunately, I came to see that all I have to do is say yes or no, and occasionally back-up the "no" with the "other plans" statement. This works very well for me.

I have told some whopper lies, years and years ago, when I was still trying to figure out who I am and how I fit into the world - I've come clean about most of them to the people they affected - and otherwise have moved on in my life and in my skin - these days I don't look back and regret the lies (or bad behavior or bad decisions) from my younger me, as people grow and mature and learn at different rates... and though I have been book-smart from an early age, I tend to be a very slow learner otherwise. I don't want to hold on to my mistakes; I want to learn from them, and move on.

Words matter and I try to use them so I hear the truth (my truth) when I speak - if I hear the truth, then others should hear (and see) it.

And, I don't care to be lied to. (No one does.) I know sometimes people lie because it is easier, or they are confused, or feel backed into a corner. And sometimes people lie because lies give them power. Regardless, habitual liars get short shrift from me.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it's from watching one too many lifetime movies, but in retrospect, I wish I hadn't lied about where I was and who I was with, especially in the pre-cellular phone days. Most of the time it was a lie about sleeping over a friend's house, when I was actually visiting a secret boyfriend. Sometimes I didn't even let my friend know she was my alibi because my parents didn't have my friend's number. God forbid something happened to me, or to my parents, we wouldn't have been able to get in touch with each other.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results