shape
carat
color
clarity

Feeling "worth" the bling

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
msop04|1458342538|4007627 said:
Gosh, I've never once thought I wasn't worth the bling! ...I'm sure my husband wishes I had less of a love for big rocks! HA! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

...you ARE worth it. Go for what you like! :wavey:

Me too! I always tell my husband that with all the stuff I have to put up with, I deserve the Hope diamond!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't have to be 'worth the bling'.

You just have to have the money the bling is worth.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
List your colour preference and your budget and we can list a range of OECs, Transitionals and Antique cushions....

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
How fitting to come across this topic tonight, as my husband and I were just talking about it earlier. I've been picking up extra work to help get us back on track to where I believe we should be, as we are aggressively paying off all debt. Paid off a major loan this week, and instead of celebrating by enjoying a full weekend, I felt compelled to pick up yet another extra day. Even though we reached a huge goal, there is this looming feeling that I am still not doing enough, still not responsible/motivated/successful enough. We are on track, even without picking up any extra work, but I mentioned to my husband that maybe I'd like to set aside some of the extra money I'm making to get the upgraded stud earrings I really want, to which he responded "You know, half of our money IS yours, right?".

Ugg. Then I think "Wait, how can I possibly justify spending those thousands of dollars on something that just sits there and looks pretty, when I could put that towards the mortgage, or student loans?!"

Every time I reach a goal where I said I would allow myself to start saving for an upgrade this year, I re-negotiate to reach another goal before I can do it. We both have great jobs, and DH doesn't like me working extra, and thinks I should use the money for things I want, so it comes down to just me imposing probably ridiculous restrictions on myself. Initially, there is denial that it's due to lack of self worth, but doesn't hold up under scrutiny. This is true for most things I consider non-necessities though, currently, I'm struggling with spending $130 on some new watercolor paintbrushes.

It's weird being the only person IRL who loves jewelry, as I'd rather have a new piece of bling over a new car. Grew up poor, and still buy clothes on clearance from Old Navy/Target/Nordstrom Rack, and drive my 90's junker Honda from college, so I don't "look" the type to be sporting nice rocks on my ears and finger.

That said, I know I AM worth it. Once I make the full commitment to doing something for myself, it's never something I want to do less than 100%. Done it in the past, and compromising on what you truly want will just make you unhappy with something that was supposed to bring you joy!

If you have the means, DO IT. Let yourself get the diamond you want, in a setting you love. The "worth it' struggle is real, but it's also pretty much just in your own head. Eat the good food, use the nice dishes, take the evening walk, see the show, buy the bling! :) There will always be something else you could spend the money on, but choosing yourself is something that needs to be done now and then.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If all your other financial needs are taken care of, then why not? I've always been a keen saver but as I get older I've started to wonder what exactly I'm saving for! You do need to be able able to "let go" occasionally and spend some of it. There are so many things people spend money on that I just don't understand- cars, technology (especially phones :confused: ), expensive restaurant meals etc etc etc. At least gold, platinum and diamonds will still be here in 100 years, right?

Q

Queenie60

Snowdrop13|1458378618|4007753 said:
If all your other financial needs are taken care of, then why not? I've always been a keen saver but as I get older I've started to wonder what exactly I'm saving for! You do need to be able able to "let go" occasionally and spend some of it. There are so many things people spend money on that I just don't understand- cars, technology (especially phones :confused: ), expensive restaurant meals etc etc etc. At least gold, platinum and diamonds will still be here in 100 years, right?

Couldn't have said it better. Completely agree! :wavey:

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
Thanks again everyone! My dh was enthusiastically supportive, which was a pleasant surprise! I knew he'd be supportive but worried in the back of my mind that he would be silently judging me. Or something. Hah. I never expected him to be so enthusiastic about it. He's been asking me if I've picked my diamond and setting yet. It's been fun talking to him about it.

I will start a thread on Rocky Talky, I'd love the help of your expertise. With big purchases I tend to be plagued by over-thinking and indecision. Combine that with limited toddler-free time to spend at the computer, and it means I don't want a long, protracted search for perfection that I might have wanted to go on pre-baby. Quick and painless, ha.

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
Following up, I got fakies in both a 5mm and 6mm cushion. The 5mm felt well within my comfort zone, but smaller than I'd like. The 6mm is a beautiful size for my finger. It felt too big until I wore it around for a few days. :bigsmile: Now it feels both lovely and comfortable. You're all not kidding about that DSS! And my husband has assured me that it doesn't look too big or ostentatious.

Yesterday I unexpectedly found an antique cushion/omb that I love from the pictures. I hadn't begun seriously looking yet so I didn't get a chance to make a general thread yet. Would love your thoughts on it! [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/antique-cushion-what-do-you-think.221720/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/antique-cushion-what-do-you-think.221720/[/URL]

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cookiebuttermonster, I'm so happy for you!

I'm glad you've decided to go ahead and get something you love!

Good for you! And, its wonderful that your DH is supportive of you getting something that brings you joy! :appl:

There are lots of very knowledgeable people on PS who can offer advice and guidance on picking a diamond.

But, I'm not one of them! :lol:

Have fun!

:wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results