shape
carat
color
clarity

Singer Prince's ex-wife auctioning engagement ring

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has an 80's vibe to it! Thanks for posting, it was fun to see!

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
junebug17|1457665116|4003132 said:
Has an 80's vibe to it! Thanks for posting, it was fun to see!

It totally does! I don't know if it's worth the $100,000 starting bid, but it's fun to see. I wish there was a hand shot.

susief

Shiny_Rock
I don't like that the notes are being sold with it. Those should be personal, and should have been thrown away if she didn't want them.

Also the write-up is awful. Couldn't they have got a proper appraisal? "high crown, good clarity and good white fluorescence" indeed.

I'd still take the diamond though.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think most of the PSers would be able to find a much nicer cut RB of the same size for a fraction of that price, or a larger RB, still for a fraction of that price, and find a much nicer setting to put it into too.....

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
susief|1457684279|4003286 said:
I don't like that the notes are being sold with it. Those should be personal, and should have been thrown away if she didn't want them.

Also the write-up is awful. Couldn't they have got a proper appraisal? "high crown, good clarity and good white fluorescence" indeed.

I'd still take the diamond though.

I agree! I think selling it like that in an auction is incredibly tacky. And yeah, I think it's intended to be sold as memorabilia and not an actual ring so they didn't bother getting it certified.

arkieb1|1457702259|4003346 said:
I think most of the PSers would be able to find a much nicer cut RB of the same size for a fraction of that price, or a larger RB, still for a fraction of that price, and find a much nicer setting to put it into too.....

Yep. It's overpriced.

susief

Shiny_Rock
Isn't it funny how tastes change so dramatically in a couple of decades though? I mean, that ring must once have been considered the epitome of style and sophistication. Wow.

I wonder how the rings being posted on SMTB today will be perceived in 2040? I find it fascinating how these things evolve. Even browsing the "show me your engagement ring" sticky thread from the start to now is amazing as you can see how the styles have changed in the last decade or so.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't have to be rich to rule my world.

You don't have to be cool to be my girl.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
"2.2 karats"? That drives me nuts, and makes me think the auction house does not know jewelry at all.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
susief|1457732445|4003611 said:
Isn't it funny how tastes change so dramatically in a couple of decades though? I mean, that ring must once have been considered the epitome of style and sophistication. Wow.

I wonder how the rings being posted on SMTB today will be perceived in 2040? I find it fascinating how these things evolve. Even browsing the "show me your engagement ring" sticky thread from the start to now is amazing as you can see how the styles have changed in the last decade or so.

I think halos will be associated with the 2010s, as will rose gold. They're beautiful but they're just super popular now. Just like how I associate Princess cuts with the early 2000s, and Marquise with the 80s and 90s.

jaysonsmom|1457734807|4003641 said:
"2.2 karats"? That drives me nuts, and makes me think the auction house does not know jewelry at all.

That made me cringe too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results