shape
carat
color
clarity

Wrinkles: Do beauty salon facials work?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wondering because I'm starting to get wrinkles and I'm wondering if I should visit the spa or a dermatologist. Anyone able to speak from personal experience?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Therapy works, and in the long run is probably cheaper than combating the inevitables of nature.

Work on your great inner beauty.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
Therapy works, and in the long run is probably cheaper than combating the inevitables of nature.

Work on your great inner beauty.

Heh I like the way you think! I just read Christie Brinkley's new book and she gets stuff done and looks fantastic. But it's certainly cheaper to just not care.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or, wear a diamond so big, who's looking at my face? ;-)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Facials can help to minimize the appearance of fine lines, but they can't make wrinkles disappear. Peels and/or lasers can be an effective tool in combatting aging, so you might want to research those. Do you wear sunscreen?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Microdermabrasion helps me. I try to go annually around my birthday. I'm a few months late his year :lol: . The exfoliation combats the winter ashiness. I had it done once at the dermatologist six months before my wedding. Since then I've gone to Nordstroms spa. The last couple of times I've done an on the spot treatment. It's shorter like a half hour versus an hour. They cut some of the extras like a hand massage with lotion, but the same amount of time is spent sandblasting my face.

I have eczema, so I try to avoid chemicals. I'd rather a physical exfoliation lolol. For some reason though, no flare ups occur on my face (I hope I didn't just jinx myself).

My DH sucks at moisturizing. When he moisturizes (we have him using fractionated coconut oil head to toe now - one bottle head to toe he can handle. Lolol), his lines are less prominent. We also use a humidifier in the bedroom in the winter. That definitely helps his face as well.

Do you do yoga? I swear, when I used to do yoga, my instructor was 44 going on 28. I was convinced that all those moves where her head was below her heart ...all that blood rushing to her face gave her that ridiculous skin :lol:

Q

Queenie60

Sunscreen and lots of water - great for the skin.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy said:
Facials can help to minimize the appearance of fine lines, but they can't make wrinkles disappear. Peels and/or lasers can be an effective tool in combatting aging, so you might want to research those. Do you wear sunscreen?

I wear it every day! :)

Yes, that fits with what I've read. Facials seem to make you look good only for as long as you're getting facials. Like a short term thing.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean said:
Microdermabrasion helps me. I try to go annually around my birthday. I'm a few months late his year :lol: . The exfoliation combats the winter ashiness. I had it done once at the dermatologist six months before my wedding. Since then I've gone to Nordstroms spa. The last couple of times I've done an on the spot treatment. It's shorter like a half hour versus an hour. They cut some of the extras like a hand massage with lotion, but the same amount of time is spent sandblasting my face.

I have eczema, so I try to avoid chemicals. I'd rather a physical exfoliation lolol. For some reason though, no flare ups occur on my face (I hope I didn't just jinx myself).

My DH sucks at moisturizing. When he moisturizes (we have him using fractionated coconut oil head to toe now - one bottle head to toe he can handle. Lolol), his lines are less prominent. We also use a humidifier in the bedroom in the winter. That definitely helps his face as well.

Do you do yoga? I swear, when I used to do yoga, my instructor was 44 going on 28. I was convinced that all those moves where her head was below her heart ...all that blood rushing to her face gave her that ridiculous skin :lol:

Great tips!! Yoga and humidifier are great suggestions because there is no downside :)

Maybe I'll try microdermabrasion. I think I'd like that in terms of risk and results.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friend had I think a chemical? Peel? They applied on her face. Her face looked like crap for 2 weeks, but after that it looked visibly younger. But you have to go through those 2 weeks not caring I guess.
Retin a helps my skin.
I think facials and masks are very enjoyable and may make your skin temporarily nicer such as for going to a particular occasion but don't have any long term effects on wrinkles.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Facials won't get rid of wrinkles. They will however remove other imperfections, hydrate your skin and make it look better for the time being. You'd have to keep up those things at home though. Dehydration is the biggest cause of wrinkles - that can be from the sun, lack of water, poor hygiene choices (ie using a clay masque daily if you have dry skin).

They recommend the products they use at the end, a) because they're told to so the spa makes $, but also b) they will keep your skin looking great in between treatments. You can't go for a facial once a year and expect perfect skin. Like going to the gym ;-)

I've not had microderm or those specialized ones, but as for facials in general, you can do as much or more at home by taking great care of your skin.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this thread. It is saving me lots of money :)

I can't say that for anywhere else on PS ;-) lol

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
part gypsy|1456411348|3995511 said:
My friend had I think a chemical? Peel? They applied on her face. Her face looked like crap for 2 weeks, but after that it looked visibly younger. But you have to go through those 2 weeks not caring I guess.
Retin a helps my skin.
I think facials and masks are very enjoyable and may make your skin temporarily nicer such as for going to a particular occasion but don't have any long term effects on wrinkles.

Another alternative to harsh chemical peels is the Clear & Brilliant laser. After comparing the two treatments myself, I'd never have another chemical peel again. The down time for a chemical peel is at least a week (or more) vs. 0 downtime with the C & B laser.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing I'd like to try down the line - well, hopefully - in 20 years ;-), by then it will be even better/improved! - is ultherapy. I hadn't gone to the dermatologist in a year, and the woman at the front desk stopped me dead in my tracks. She looked 10+ years younger! She had had ultherapy done from the neck up to mid face/cheek level, and I swear, her neck and face looked firmer, like a more youthful plump. Not a celebs gone wild with fillers and botox young. Like healthier, younger looking skin.

Anyways - back to more practical stuff... :) One thing I emphasize is showering at night. It gives your magic potions a clean slate to soak into. And in the AM, I use warm-to-hot face cloth. It removes my eye crispies :errrr: , wakes me up, and exfoliates! I guess I never broke the habit that began with my mom wiping my face in the AM when I was a wee one. :)

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
I vote visit to the dermatologist.

I have monthly microderm facials, occasionally combined with a Jessner peel. But that is for improving the texture of my skin rather than fighting wrinkles.

Very few treatments will minimise or soften wrinkles. I'd say a combo of botox and fillers, and retinol and chemical exfoliants - AHA's & BHA's. Dermatologist prescription retinol is more effective (stronger) and cheaper.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Facials are a nice luxury but honestly it won't affect your wrinkles long term. To prevent more of them wear sunscreen daily, drink plenty of water & moisturise each night. If you actually want to erase wrinkles - I think only Botox is guaranteed to work!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A $28 tube of trentoinin (retin a) cream every 6 months and sunscreen is all you need.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results