shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed for super reactive and sensitive skin...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame, I am so sorry and I feel your pain. Whatever this is on my arm is worse and so freakin itchy. My mind is running wild and I have to wait till Feb 24th to get any answers. I keep thinking it is a fungal infection or something on my arm. I don't know. It's not better at all and so itchy and red and as you wrote angry. But worse yet is my face. I had to wear makeup the last 2 days as I went to work and OMG I did a terrible job at covering it but it's hard to work on flaky peeling red bumpy skin yanno? ;( ;( ;(

And it's not a matter of finding the best doctor anymore as I feel they have done what they could and this is just the way it is going to be. I am so sad. I almost felt like I was getting my life back finally and saw the light at the end of the tunnel with my progress re my leg and then this happened and I thought by now I would be better finally. 4 months plus of these new skin conditions and where am I. Medical science has come far but still has far to go and I am feeling almost without hope right now but holding on for as long as I can because I have no other choice.

I am thinking of starting Accutane when I see my derm next. Scared of it though and not sure it won't make things worse for me as I am not the typical Accutane patient. My skin is uber dry so not a great starting point for Accutane. I just don't know what else to do...

How are you doing today? Any improvements? Thinking of you and hope you find relief soon!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Same old! No change! I washed my face last night with Dove body wash. I felt like I reached a new low. I feel your pain and frustration!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:nono: ;( :(sad
(((Hugs))).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just sent my derm some pics and then called his office and found out he is away till next Wed. There is something that is bugging me (I sure hope that is not literally though ugh parasite???) about this rash. It is too symmetrical (oval in shape but almost circular) and not like my other hivey rashes. It doesn't show up true to color in pics as it is much redder IRL but here's a pic showing it a bit. I wish I could get a better photo of it.

att_1423842632546_20150213_104533.jpg

20150213_104520.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it a ringworm? You have cats right? It's my understanding from my inlaws that cats get ringworm frequently (I have no idea, I don't have cats, I hate cats bec they want to kill me).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1423861651|3832028 said:
Is it a ringworm? You have cats right? It's my understanding from my inlaws that cats get ringworm frequently (I have no idea, I don't have cats, I hate cats bec they want to kill me).

My friend called me about this yesterday saying maybe it was ringworm. I googled some pics and maybe. IDK. I am applying Ketaconazole just in case so let's see what happens. I am almost hoping it is because that is better than many of the other alternatives of you can believe it lol.

And OMG with the cats wanting to kill you ame. I can promise you that my kitties would NEVER do that. If you were here they would hide the whole visit. They are very typical cats that way. Do not trust strangers. Now my first 3 kitties (all gone now :cry: ) were more like dogs and would greet anyone who visited. Strangers and friends alike and oh I could share some funny stories about that but I know you don't care for cats and that's OK so I will spare you the stories.

How are you doing today? Any improvements? When is your follow up with the new doctor?
WTH is it that we are dealing with and why are we so sensitive to so many products. I wonder if what we have is related in any way.

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone. :wavey:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
No I mean they want to kill me bec I am violently allergic. Like ER visit intubation allergic. Cannot be ANYWHERE NEAR cats or their owners if their owners have not showered and put on fresh clothes that have never been near a cat. Can't go in a cat house. When we stay at my MIL I am basically an inhale away from an ER visit, and my SIL's is the same way. My SIL just keeps getting cats, bec they love cats. My MIL has one, but is about to give it to my SIL, because she travels a lot, and I can't handle the cat. The cat isn't interested in my part of the house though thankfully. I stay in a separate room from DH in fact, and he isn't allowed IN my room until he's showered. lol

DH and I had an IDEA the other day about what it might be. WE think it's the hand soap. I stopped using the BBW antibac a couple years ago in favor of method and honest.com soap trying to get triclosan out of the house. The rashes got infinitely worse and more often since that time. He said he doesn't recall many rashes when I had that BBW soap in the house, and maybe I need to go back to that or just regular softsoap. So right now we're using softsoap and I put all the other stuff in the closet. My neck is still insane but my face is improving so maybe he's right!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you might have found the culprit causing some of your skin issues ame!
How are you doing today? I hope you are continuing to see improvement and dare I hope all clear. :appl: Yay for smart dhs!

I use Dr Bronners unscented hemp soap for my hands only and wash with bottled water. It's not perfect ingredient wise for me (because it has some coconut, jojoba and olive oil) but it's the closest thing I can find to what looks safe for washing my hands at least and I rinse my hands thoroughly with bottled water before I touch my face.

http://www.naturalhealthyconcepts.com/18-1-hemp-castile-soap-16-unscent-p-dr-bronners-magic-soaps.html?kpid=18-1-hemp-castile-soap-16-unscent&gclid=CjwKEAiAx4anBRDz6JLYjMDxoQYSJAA4loRmLh8XFBXMN7rzaHkN1N_eAknSjfdqXTVWCF1ENHMZHBoCw8Lw_wcB

And wow on staying at your MIL's or anywhere else that has cats. You are a trooper being so allergic. IDK if it was me I would totally use that as a reason to get out of visiting or at least staying overnight lol.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi missy

Was wondering if you ever settled on a moisturizer that you find gentle enough to not cause a reaction...

I am finding that DH has a reaction to so many moisturizers (cleansers too but thanks to you we've been using the Toleriane Dermo Cleanser and love it).

I love the Avene Trixera Emollient Cream and he does too (as far as the moisturizing aspect) but he's been complaining lately that he thinks it turns him red. I suspect it may be the glycerin. Even though we haven't done meticulous testing to rule out ingredients whenever he complains about a product glycerin is in it.

I think you had recommended the Toleriane Moisturizer - and I think I resisted ordering it because of the price. But the Avene is not cheap either - so I may have to give in...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1453745676|3981234 said:
Hi missy

Was wondering if you ever settled on a moisturizer that you find gentle enough to not cause a reaction...

I am finding that DH has a reaction to so many moisturizers (cleansers too but thanks to you we've been using the Toleriane Dermo Cleanser and love it).

I love the Avene Trixera Emollient Cream and he does too (as far as the moisturizing aspect) but he's been complaining lately that he thinks it turns him red. I suspect it may be the glycerin. Even though we haven't done meticulous testing to rule out ingredients whenever he complains about a product glycerin is in it.

I think you had recommended the Toleriane Moisturizer - and I think I resisted ordering it because of the price. But the Avene is not cheap either - so I may have to give in...

Hi CJ! I am so glad you and your dh are doing well with the Toleriane Dermo cleanser. I still love it too and am using it every day. It is so gentle and yet removes what it needs to remove.

As for moisturizer I have been using a few times every day the Avene Cicalfate cream.
http://www.aveneusa.com/cicalfate-restorative-skin-cream

I find it much more soothing and moisturizing during these dry winter months than the La Roche Posay Toleriane moisturizer. However during the summer and spring more humid months I use the Toleriane Ultra moisturizer every day in place of the Avene Cicalfate and that so far has been working best for me.

http://www.laroche-posay.us/toleriane-ultra-3337872412486.html?cm_mmc=GooglePS-_-ProductSearch-_-TOLERIANEULTRA-_-None&cm_mmc=cpc-_-googlePLA-_-PLA:%20Shopping_All%20products-_-kw:%20&gclid=CLuxq_jOx8oCFcMRHwodZzMNjw

I switch to the heavier Avene Cicalfate moisturizer during the drier months and then back the the Toleriane Ultra moisturizer during the more humid months. Hope that helps you. And fwiw they last a long time so it really is not expensive per use. Worth every penny IMO.

Good luck!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I've developed eczema, and this winter is the worst--I suffer. :((

I must read this thread and take some advice. I've already cut out my (coveted) nightly hot bubble bath and need to find other moisturizers and increase use to twice a day.

cheers--Sharon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1453820464|3981693 said:
HI:

I must read this thread and take some advice. I've already cut out my (coveted) nightly hot bubble bath and need to find other moisturizers and increase use to twice a day.

cheers--Sharon

Sharon I am sorry you are dealing with this. I highly recommend Avene Cicalfate for your face if your face is dry and for your hands and other areas on your body I highly recommend "Wild Naturals Manuka Honey Healing Moisturizer Cream" for eczema. It saved my dh.

http://wildnaturals.com/products/manuka-honey-cream?gclid=CLPqupDgx8oCFcUXHwodUcYM0g

Hope you find relief soon!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy,
I just purchased the Toleriane Dermo, TS Water and Ultra lotion and hope it'll work for me. The Wilma Schumann sensitive line helped heal my skin but I still get the occasional breakout and dryness. The Murad sensitive skin line didn't work as well as the WSchumann line. Now that it is winter, I'm actually developing lines from dryness, which just looks awful. I noticed that the Ultra moisturizer contains dimethicone though.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1453820722|3981695 said:
canuk-gal|1453820464|3981693 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Sharon I am sorry you are dealing with this. I highly recommend Avene Cicalfate for your face if your face is dry and for your hands and other areas on your body I highly recommend "Wild Naturals Manuka Honey Healing Moisturizer Cream" for eczema. It saved my dh.

http://wildnaturals.com/products/manuka-honey-cream?gclid=CLPqupDgx8oCFcUXHwodUcYM0g

Hope you find relief soon!

Thanks Missy--I am off today and will do some product searches!

cheers--Sharon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1453821125|3981698 said:
Missy,
I just purchased the Toleriane Dermo, TS Water and Ultra lotion and hope it'll work for me. The Wilma Schumann sensitive line helped heal my skin but I still get the occasional breakout and dryness. The Murad sensitive skin line didn't work as well as the WSchumann line. Now that it is winter, I'm actually developing lines from dryness, which just looks awful. I noticed that the Ultra moisturizer contains dimethicone though.

Chrono, I am glad you mentioned this. What I have found (personally) is that some of the "no no" ingredients in small amounts present in the face moisturizers don't always cause a reaction. For example, in my fave winter face moisturizer Avene Cicalfate there are some ingredients I was afraid to put on my face (petrolatum for one) but I was assured by the manufacturer and people who are more knowledgeable than I in this area that the quality and quantity of this ingredient makes it harmless. And since I have been using it I have found relief and knock wood am doing much better. So I always say patch test any new product you are thinking of using (where you are thinking of applying it) and do that for a few days to a week and see how you react. Good luck and I hope you find relief!

I really like the Cicalfate for dry facial skin. Very non reactive on my face. No redness whatsoever unlike everything else I have tried.

Sharon, my fingers are crossed for you!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1453816154|3981660 said:
CJ2008|1453745676|3981234 said:
Hi missy

Hi CJ! I am so glad you and your dh are doing well with the Toleriane Dermo cleanser. I still love it too and am using it every day. It is so gentle and yet removes what it needs to remove.

As for moisturizer I have been using a few times every day the Avene Cicalfate cream.

I find it much more soothing and moisturizing during these dry winter months than the La Roche Posay Toleriane moisturizer. However during the summer and spring more humid months I use the Toleriane Ultra moisturizer every day in place of the Avene Cicalfate and that so far has been working best for me.

http://www.laroche-posay.us/toleriane-ultra-3337872412486.html?cm_mmc=GooglePS-_-ProductSearch-_-TOLERIANEULTRA-_-None&cm_mmc=cpc-_-googlePLA-_-PLA:%20Shopping_All%20products-_-kw:%20&gclid=CLuxq_jOx8oCFcMRHwodZzMNjw

I switch to the heavier Avene Cicalfate moisturizer during the drier months and then back the the Toleriane Ultra moisturizer during the more humid months. Hope that helps you. And fwiw they last a long time so it really is not expensive per use. Worth every penny IMO.

Good luck!

Thanks so much, missy!

I'm definitely going to try the Avene cream. I like that it has so few ingredients and no fragrance.

And I'll keep in mind what you say about the Toleriane being lighter. If he finds the Avene one too rich I'll get him that one.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
Missy - I emailed you :)

One note (to Poodles and missy)
Hexam contains DMDM Hydatonin which is bad bad bad. I recall explaining what it was on our curly hair thread.

DMDM hydantoin is an antimicrobial formaldehyde releaser preservative with the trade name Glydant. DMDM hydantoin is an organic compound belonging to a class of compounds known as hydantoins. It is used in the cosmetics industry and found in products like shampoos, hair conditioners, hair gels, and skin care products

DMDM hydantoin works as a preservative because the released formaldehyde makes the environment less favorable to the microorganisms.
A patch test study found "An increase in the use of DMDM hydantoin in cosmetic products will also inevitably increase the risk of cosmetic dermatitis in consumers allergic to formaldehyde.

I refuse to put it on my scalp / hair.
Just a FYI

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kelinas! Sent a response back. (((Hugs))).

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal said:
HI:

I went out to Amaranth Foods to find some creme. While they did not have the one you suggested Missy; the gal gave me two samples I was thrilled!

Grahams Calendulis Plus Creme

http://www.naturalhealthorganics.com.au/grahams-natural-alternatives/

Egyptian Magic.

http://egyptianmagic.com/

Both have honey in them--and Grahams the manuka honey. I look forward to trying them!

Thanks for the tips!! :wavey:

cheers--Sharon

I hope it helps you find relief Sharon, good luck!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy,
The stuff arrived and I've been using it for 2 days now. It is extremely gentle and I like it. No breakouts whatsoever but lotion is too light for my dry skin in winter time. It'll probably be perfect for the summer though. Thanks for the suggestion!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1454940460|3988327 said:
Missy,
The stuff arrived and I've been using it for 2 days now. It is extremely gentle and I like it. No breakouts whatsoever but lotion is too light for my dry skin in winter time. It'll probably be perfect for the summer though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Chrono, which Toleriane are you using? I found the Toleriane lotion too light also and in the summer and warmer more humid months find that the Ultra works much better than the regular Toleriane though for winter I don't find even the Ultra moisturizing enough. During winter and the drier months I have been using Avene Cicalfate and it is so moisturizing and soothing. I'm sorry what I recommended did not work well for you. Maybe the Avene Cicalfate would be better for you in winter? It is the only moisturizer I have found so far that is extra gentle and extra moisturizing and calms my skin while soothing and moisturizing it. Doesn't aggravate my rosacea, my POD or my Seb Derm.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am using the Ultra. Don't feel bad that it didn't work well because it is the best of the bunch I've been trying. It is not drying and doesn't make me breakout, which is a huge factor in getting my skin rebalanced. I appreciate the recommendation for the Cicalfate but I think it works as an occlusive and not a moisturizer? Thankfully the cystic acne stopped several weeks ago and now all I am left with is a lot of hyperpigmentation.

I am currently using the lowest mandelic acid content to help fade the marks and it seems to be working, but my skin is still dry, so I am still on the lookout for a gentle yet rich moisturizer.
http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/mandelic.html

I also picked up a sample of the below from Sephora and I am amazed at the results the next day. My skin did not dry out and all the small bumps were gone. Of course, being cautious, I only left it on for 5 minutes instead of the recommended 10 minutes.
http://www.murad.com/intensive-vitamin-c-face-mask

I understand that my skin is less troubled than yours so they might not work for you but others reading might find them useful. So my quest for a suitable moisturizer continues. That said, the Ultra is so gentle and light that I can apply it on my upper eyelids to help with the extreme dryness without it stinging my eyes.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I are now down to plain old oils now.
DH uses fractionated coconut oil head to toe after he showers.
I only use the fractionated coconut oil from the neck down because it was clogging my pores. I alternate with almond oil head to toe. On my coconut days, I use either argan oil or rose hip oil on my face.

So far so good since the fall :)

Has anyone tried accupuncture and seen any favorable results with the flare ups? I've only tried accupuncture once at a chinese medicine school and I did not like it, personally. A couple friends have found relief for miscellaneous ailments through accupuncture.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1454943475|3988355 said:
I am using the Ultra. Don't feel bad that it didn't work well because it is the best of the bunch I've been trying. It is not drying and doesn't make me breakout, which is a huge factor in getting my skin rebalanced. I appreciate the recommendation for the Cicalfate but I think it works as an occlusive and not a moisturizer? Thankfully the cystic acne stopped several weeks ago and now all I am left with is a lot of hyperpigmentation.

I am currently using the lowest mandelic acid content to help fade the marks and it seems to be working, but my skin is still dry, so I am still on the lookout for a gentle yet rich moisturizer.
http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/mandelic.html

I also picked up a sample of the below from Sephora and I am amazed at the results the next day. My skin did not dry out and all the small bumps were gone. Of course, being cautious, I only left it on for 5 minutes instead of the recommended 10 minutes.
http://www.murad.com/intensive-vitamin-c-face-mask

I understand that my skin is less troubled than yours so they might not work for you but others reading might find them useful. So my quest for a suitable moisturizer continues. That said, the Ultra is so gentle and light that I can apply it on my upper eyelids to help with the extreme dryness without it stinging my eyes.

Chrono, thanks and I'm glad you are finding the best products that work well for your skin. It's funny but the Cicalfate even if that is how it is working is working for me as a moisturizer and never feels occlusive or breaks out my skin. Just the opposite in fact. It is super moisturizing and healing and makes my face feel so much better. And never causes breakouts unlike the oils did when I was using those. All the oils caused breakouts on my face. Isn't it interesting how all of us are so different with what works and what doesn't.

Good luck with the mandelic acid for fading your marks and I hope you find the perfect moisturizer for you. And hopefully the Utra will work well for you during the summer months. Just want to add that 2 days may not be enough to really tell if a product will work well for you. Or course if you have a reaction immediately you know it is not good for you but if something doesn't aggravate your skin right away still be cautious because it can really take a few months to know if a product is helpful for you or not.

Pinto, I have a few friends who swear by Acupuncture for almost everything but they all agree once you stop the Acupuncture the benefits dissipate. Personally I have no experience with it for skin issues but definitely interested in what you find. Good luck!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok, do you find your scalp is just as super reactive and sensitive? My face is, and at the same time, my scalp flakes and itches despite using different types of shampoos - Nizoral, H&S, Sebamed.

I suspect my skin is dehydrated but that there is still sebum. While I can get my face under control with cortisone, I am sorely tempted to try it out on my scalp...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yimmers|1455045891|3988962 said:
Ok, do you find your scalp is just as super reactive and sensitive? My face is, and at the same time, my scalp flakes and itches despite using different types of shampoos - Nizoral, H&S, Sebamed.

I suspect my skin is dehydrated but that there is still sebum. While I can get my face under control with cortisone, I am sorely tempted to try it out on my scalp...

Yes my scalp is sensitive too Yimmers. Sorry you are dealing with this issue. Please don't use the cortisone unless it is a last resort. I stay away from sulfates and other harmful chemicals in my shampoo and conditioner and any hair products. I use Giovanni tree tea oil shampoo and conditioner. It works well for me and I shampoo every other to every day to keep my scalp clean. Hope you find relief soon!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
missy|1455059386|3989112 said:
Yimmers|1455045891|3988962 said:

Yes my scalp is sensitive too Yimmers. Sorry you are dealing with this issue. Please don't use the cortisone unless it is a last resort. I stay away from sulfates and other harmful chemicals in my shampoo and conditioner and any hair products. I use Giovanni tree tea oil shampoo and conditioner. It works well for me and I shampoo every other to every day to keep my scalp clean. Hope you find relief soon!

Really, cortisone is bad for the scalp??? :errrr:

I will look for the tree tea oil shampoo, thanks, Missy!

Oh geez, double post...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Missy! I will check these out. The hardest thing is trying not to itch...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results