carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on redesigning my original engagement ring

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

I was lucky enough to get a new wedding set for my 10th anniversary this year. I have my original princess cut approx .63 carat solitaire set in 18kt yellow with platinum head. I was thinking of setting the solitaire kite set as a pendant and then using the gold and platinum from the band to make a shamrock (married on St. Patty's Day). I was thinking of the pendant sitting in front of the shamrock like the necklace in the first picture which is a necklace I wear daily and love that style.

Thoughts on my idea? Also where would I go to get something like this done? I assume this would be custom work since I have to have the shamrock made?

Thanks for reading.

_36332.jpg

_1806.jpeg

_1807.jpeg

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Very cute and romantic idea! There are many recomended vendors on PS, or maybe even one local to you. I would price out one on PS (or two) and one or two local. All can be via email. Won't take a lot of your time.

Good luck

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
StephanieLynn|1454721579|3987466 said:
I was thinking of setting the solitaire kite set as a pendant and then using the gold and platinum from the band to make a shamrock (married on St. Patty's Day).
Using older materials is always a little risky, as the solders used to hold the together can influence the new casting in a negative way. (The first time I tried this, many years ago, the casting that resulted in using "old gold" was so brittle and porous that parts could be broken off with one's bare hands). New castings are MUCH better off if the amount of "old gold" in them is less than 50%. Using platinum in the same castings adds to the difficulty as platinum melts at a much higher temperature than gold and so the overall casting temperature must be higher and the materials that this melt is cast into must be of a different type. I would suggest scrapping the platinum and adding some new gold to the casting to make sure that the new setting is sound.
As for custom metalsmiths, there is a nice list in the "sticky" section of the Colored Stones area of this forum.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your replies. I'm thinking since the older solder on the ring might cause some difficulties, I might just use new gold for the shamrock and keep the setting tucked away.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results