shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby or garnet?

jezbelle

Rough_Rock
Hey all- this is a repost from the general forum section. Was told you guys might be able to help me.

I'm having a little trouble identifying my gemstone. Do you guys think this is a ruby or garnet? And if it's a ruby, does it look glass filled? Thanks for your help :)

(front side)

(back side)

ruby_or_garnet_5.png

ruby_or_garnet_6.png

ruby_or_garnet_7.png

ruby_or_garnet_8.png

lmcriss

Shiny_Rock
It's difficult to tell from the pictures. Maybe try taking it to a local reputable jeweler to have a look? They might be able to give you a little bit more insight.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although we will never know without being able to analyze the stone in hand, there are some clues that we might be able to guess at.

1. Size of the stone - a smaller stone is more likely to be ruby, a larger stone is more likely to be garnet or synthetic ruby
2. Metal type of setting - it is more likely that a ruby will be set in higher karat gold.
3. Inclusions -rubies are typically not loupe clean.

The above are just possibilities. It is best to have a skilled gemmologist take a look at it in person.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I am often running into the store of our local gemologist/rock nerd and she will usually spend a minute and tell me what I have. She never charges for her time (I think she should, honestly). Asking a gemologist for a quick look-see (not a written appraisal) should not run too much money.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results