color
clarity

If you could do anything your heart desires to earn a living

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: If you could do anything your heart desires to earn a li

stracci

You CANNOT post a picture with a kitty in the background without giving us more pictures of said kitty! ::) ETA especially a black and white one!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

stracci2000|1454682443|3987164 said:
jordyonbass|1454675414|3987127 said:
stracci2000|1454641245|3986997 said:
Oh, and I would, of course be an artist/jeweler.
I do both of these things as hobbies, anyway, but to make MONEY at it would be heaven.

Here are some of my creations:

Those look amazing stracci!!

Much like you, I would absolutely love to be able to cut gemstones for a living. I'm currently learning and if it ever happens it will be a very long time from now, but I would love to be able to visit our gemfields here in Australia to fossick for sapphires, zircon, topaz and garnets to cut and sell. It would be like a business trip/holiday :bigsmile:

I always thought when I was younger that I would love to be involved in recreational fishing as a job but I was wrong on that one. When it became a job it was no longer recreation and as much as I love fishing, I discovered quickly that I couldn't do it for 16 hours per day for a month straight.

Jordy, this ring from my other photo , is a Winton opal, (from Queensland, as I'm sure you know) It was given to me by a friend. I had so much fun making the setting. It is one of my favorites! It was almost inpossible to photograph, to show all the color play.

Amazing!! That's a boulder opal yes?

My wife and I want to be able to cut and make jewellery like this from our stones that we are cutting at the gem club, I am going to have to show her this!!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

I am so grateful to be able to do what I do (and earn a living). I have always planned/dreamed on being an artist!
I am a painter/artist for a decent amount of my income, and my DH and I own our own business where we actually make custom glassware and gifts using my art.

Its so rewarding, I am so happy!

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock

I do both of these things as hobbies, anyway, but to make MONEY at it would be heaven.

That is creative and awesome! You should open an etsy shop!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Throughout high school, I wanted to be a professional flutist (even had a scholarship at the SF Conservatory of Music) until my Tiger Mom said go get a "real" job. That was sage advice because only the top of the cream of the crop get to play in a Symphony Orchestra.

So I changed my major to Computer Science, started working as a Software Engineer and retired 5 years ago as a VP in Information Technology.

After undergoing my pterional craniotomy last year, I have a real appreciation for my neurosurgeon. That would be an exciting, high stress job, but I'm not intelligent enough to get through medical school and a 7-8 year residency.

And, after taking 3 years to earn my Gemologist Diploma (via Distance Education) from the GIA, it would have been nice to work in the back room at a jewelry store.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great thread idea! :appl:

I would live in Berlin and be an artisan piano-maker for Steinway. They produce pianos with beautiful ornate inlaid wood designs.

I don't know why I'd want to do that; I'm not musical. It just sounds romantic.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

jordyonbass|1454683146|3987171 said:

Much like you, I would absolutely love to be able to cut gemstones for a living. I'm currently learning and if it ever happens it will be a very long time from now, but I would love to be able to visit our gemfields here in Australia to fossick for sapphires, zircon, topaz and garnets to cut and sell. It would be like a business trip/holiday :bigsmile:

I always thought when I was younger that I would love to be involved in recreational fishing as a job but I was wrong on that one. When it became a job it was no longer recreation and as much as I love fishing, I discovered quickly that I couldn't do it for 16 hours per day for a month straight.

Jordy, this ring from my other photo , is a Winton opal, (from Queensland, as I'm sure you know) It was given to me by a friend. I had so much fun making the setting. It is one of my favorites! It was almost inpossible to photograph, to show all the color play.

My wife and I want to be able to cut and make jewellery like this from our stones that we are cutting at the gem club, I am going to have to show her this!!
Yes boulder opal. It has alot of reds and yellows. So very hard to photograph!

img_20160205_085217376_hdr.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

CJ2008|1454682587|3987166 said:
stracci

You CANNOT post a picture with a kitty in the background without giving us more pictures of said kitty! ::) ETA especially a black and white one!
This is Phrixus(aka Phrix). He's my special baby. He is a big boy, about 15 lbs.

img_20151225_212254514.jpg

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

stracci2000|1454689244|3987221 said:
CJ2008|1454682587|3987166 said:
stracci

This is Phrixus(aka Phrix). He's my special baby. He is a big boy, about 15 lbs.

OMG.

Phrix is absolutely gorgeous. What a cutie.

arrggggh so cute

(ETA I just realized he's more gray and white right? his back looks almost black in the pic where he's in the background)

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

stracci2000|1454688898|3987217 said:

It still looks amazing! Did you cab the opal yourself? In fact I'm keen to find out about what you have done to make this ring - I could write a list of 20 questions!!

Maybe a thread in the CS forum?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

An ER physician.

missy|1454586221|3986723 said:
What career/job/occupation would you choose to do? If any job your heart desires would earn you a comfortable living what would you want that job to be?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

jordyonbass|1454690660|3987230 said:
stracci2000|1454688898|3987217 said:

It still looks amazing! Did you cab the opal yourself? In fact I'm keen to find out about what you have done to make this ring - I could write a list of 20 questions!! Y

Maybe a thread in the CS forum?
Sorry, I did not cab the stone myself. The setting is made entirely from Sterling wire.
The shank is 1/2 round wire, flattened slightly at the ends, where I soldered it to the mounting.
Soldering the prongs is tricky. Too much heat and they will all fall off at once! I tapered the prongs for a neater look.
I learned silver smithing from a Native American lady from the Zuni tribe, here in New Mexico.
Here is a shot of the underside. Every stone is different, and creating a custom setting is like an engineering project!

img_20160205_104711445_hdr.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Being independently wealthy is out of the question...lol Seriously, I love what I do for a living. I don't think I'd have it any other way...most days.

hay joe

Shiny_Rock

If I could find the strength I would work for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat|1454638125|3986974 said:
Lil Misfit|1454628410|3986925 said:
packrat|1454613163|3986893 said:
What I would do if we had won the powerball--All the Kittah's Rescue. Tho, really...a rescue isn't going to so much bring money *in*...But maybe find a way to do something fun w/the kittah's, like the coffee shops or reading areas w/kitties that I've seen in bigger cities? So maybe there's the "earning a living" part, the coffee sales ha. Coffee N Kitties!

I'd be Packie's partner in this. :mrgreen:

Oh, and a wine tester on the side. :Up_to_something:

Yay! :appl:

WINE N Kittahs even!

Love this!!! >^..^<

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

OMG how much do I love cats? THIS MUCH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93g1u4WVYE8

And, now you know one of the reasons I work in a preschool. :praise: I can rock this. Hard. And I do. Daily. And the kids all line up to take turns dancing w/Miss Missi.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat|1454724641|3987491 said:
OMG how much do I love cats? THIS MUCH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93g1u4WVYE8

And, now you know one of the reasons I work in a preschool. :praise: I can rock this. Hard. And I do. Daily. And the kids all line up to take turns dancing w/Miss Missi.

I loved this!!
Every day is a cat party at my house!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

girlyglam|1454687902|3987208 said:

That is creative and awesome! You should open an etsy shop!

Thanks girlyglam!
I have sold some at craft/artisan shows and other venues over the years.
People just don't want to pay me what they are worth. Also, at the shows I have participated in, many people are not familiar with the stones I use. They are attracted to the color, and that's all they care about. They don't know why I want more for tanzanite, tsavorite, etc.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Teach astronomy online. I actually taught astronomy at our local community college for 21 years about half of them online. It was fun getting paid for something I loved to talk about.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow! I never cease to be amazed at the thoughtful, talented and creative people here on PS! :appl:

I love learning, travelling and challenges, and was fortunate to have a career that involved all of those elements.
Not everyone would have enjoyed what I did, or where I went, but I thought I was incredibly fortunate to see and do things that many don't experience.

As a child, I wanted to be a jockey (until I finally grew!), a teacher, a biologist and, of course, find a cure for cancers.

With the luxury of retirement, I think it would be nice to be an author (but that doesn't mean I have the creativity required or the desire to deal with publicists). However, I finally have the time and equipment to play with photography and, a realistic pursuit, is to see if I can eventually put-togeather a half-decent calendar, with nature and wildlife photos, that I could give to a few family and friends. I figure they could easily toss it in the recycle bin when I turn my back. :lol:

Being outside, photographing the amazing world and creatures around us would be wonderful.
Its something I'm starting to do, but I have no delusions in thinking that I will develop professional-quality skills.
And doing something for pure enjoyment is different than doing the same thing in a professional setting.

So my answer is to take wildlife and nature photos.
With breaks spent at the world-famous Coffee, Books and Kittahs Café run by PackRat! :love:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

marcy|1454728728|3987527 said:
Teach astronomy online. I actually taught astronomy at our local community college for 21 years about half of them online. It was fun getting paid for something I loved to talk about.

Marcy, that's fascinating!

I've always loved gazing into the night sky! It would be wonderful to know more about what is up there! :appl:

And how did those incredible folks at NASA figure out how to send New Horizons on the nine-and-a-half-year journey to Pluto! Amazing! :read: :clap:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love reading about what PSers would do if they had the opportunity. What amazing choices and how talented and creative PSers are. :appl:

I'm torn between opening an animal sanctuary (or I could just join packrat's party!) and being a philanthropist and giving lots of money away to worthwhile charities. That way I can share the wealth and do a lot of good for many charities.

I think I would choose being a philanthropist and opening an animal sanctuary for cats and dogs and any animal that needs a home and love. Win win. If we had the funds to do anything we could that is. :appl:

Stracci, amazing and gorgeous pieces. You are so talented. I look forward to seeing more of your creations. :love:

Tekate, haha low stress profession. Not. A great choice for making a difference!

Bbziggy, that would be a rewarding profession thought the heartache would be unbearable I think. However since your wish included having the cure for all children I think you're good. If only.

What I love is that many of you are already living your dream or have dreams well within reach and I wish for each and everyone of you the opportunity to make those dreams and others come true. :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It would be something to do with jewellery, and I would love to be able to make jewellery and polish gemstones etc...

DK :))

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

I love singing but I am pretty amateur compared to real opera singers--maybe if I could just do recitals of my favorite soprano arias? :bigsmile: Traveling all over the world to give recitals would be pretty cool.

If not that, then I'd love to be a professional nature photographer. I got into taking a lot of nature photos this summer after I got an Olloclip for my iPhone (which I got for jewelry photos but nature stuff is more interesting to most people). A few of my photos below.

img_10692.jpg

img_10693.jpg

img_10694.jpg

img_10695.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rubybeth|1455033215|3988806 said:
I love singing but I am pretty amateur compared to real opera singers--maybe if I could just do recitals of my favorite soprano arias? :bigsmile: Traveling all over the world to give recitals would be pretty cool.

If not that, then I'd love to be a professional nature photographer. I got into taking a lot of nature photos this summer after I got an Olloclip for my iPhone (which I got for jewelry photos but nature stuff is more interesting to most people). A few of my photos below.

Rubybeth,

Your photos are beautiful! :appl:

Please post them in the 'nature, wildlife, etc. photos' thread so that others can enjoy them as well!

I'd love to see more of your photos there if you don't mind sharing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

december-fire|1455033600|3988812 said:
rubybeth|1455033215|3988806 said:

Rubybeth,

Your photos are beautiful! :appl:

Please post them in the 'nature, wildlife, etc. photos' thread so that others can enjoy them as well!

I'd love to see more of your photos there if you don't mind sharing.

Just gorgeous rubybeth. :love:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Thanks, december-fire and missy! I put a few different photos in the other thread, december-fire. I really love winter but the opportunities for macro photos are far fewer--we haven't gotten any big fluffy snowflakes for me to captue. :lol:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rubybeth|1455039576|3988885 said:
Thanks, december-fire and missy! I put a few different photos in the other thread, december-fire. I really love winter but the opportunities for macro photos are far fewer--we haven't gotten any big fluffy snowflakes for me to captue. :lol:

I can ship you some of my snow. 1 truck full or 2? :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fabulous question!

I have to say that teaching dyslexic children to read has been so rewarding to me (since most will never learn at school) that I wouldn't go back and change that if I could. Fortunately I have a husband who has a lot more income to offset my doing what I love.

But next to that, I'd love to have or work for a charity that awards money to families who want to adopt children, particularly internationally (from orphanages). We were very blessed to adopt our youngest child, and I love helping others do so. Every child needs a forever family!

And if I were to be totally honest, my love for jewelry would land me in that world somehow. I am not sure working for a high end jeweler is the same experience as being the customer, so I am not sure where I'd like to work. Maybe being a buyer for Lang's or a similar jeweler would be good!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results