• Total voters

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine never grew in!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1454521014|3986282 said:
momhappy|1454510323|3986159 said:
I went to my dentist a couple of years ago and after doing routine x-rays she said that I should have my wisdom teeth removed. When I asked why (because they have never caused me any issues) she said that they could potentially cause problems and it would be a "preventative" measure. Are you kidding me :confused: Like I'm going to volunteer to have my wisdom teeth pulled because they "might" cause me problems some day :rolleyes: I'm 40-something years-old and the only way I'm having my wisdom teeth yanked out is if they actually cause problems.
My 21 year old is having his removed on Friday. I was given guilt about not having them done sooner...sigh. The kid has been so busy with accelerated academics and work since High School and he is also chronically ill and was always having medical procedures done during breaks. This was the last thing on our priority list. :blackeye:

We had to watch a video at the oral surgeon's office about wisdom teeth and the removal. The video stated that even if you aren't having any problems, decay can form in your jaw and beneath the gum line where the teeth live. Also, the older you get, the thinner the bones become and the deeper the roots grow, making removal more complicated and risky. This also makes healing worse. The roots can grow into a nerve that runs along the jaw line. You might want to get a consult and have them watch your wisdom teeth carefully to ensure that you aren't having any issues. You also should understand that if any issues arise, the older you get, the more complicated the procedure gets.

This is so true. My son was 19 when he had his out and had a harder time healing than my daughter who was 16. I am going to be more on top with my younger kids and go for younger if they need it. 16 seemed about perfect. I think we have similar sons, accelerated academics and health issues. But you are getting it done now for him so that's a good thing.

My kids enjoyed milkshakes after.

I don't know if your surgeon told you this, but make sure to avoid straws for the first few days They can cause blood clots to come loose. And don't be alarmed at the swelling. I was so shocked how swollen my kids faces got! My poor daughter- she has a really thin face and she looked like one of those people they put fake fat suit padding on. It just didn't look like her at all. It took almost a week to fully go down. I hope it goes/went well by the time you read this.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
LAJennifer|1454524584|3986338 said:
kenny|1454519968|3986268 said:
I was suprised to learn many of us do not get wisdom teeth.
While most of us have anywhere from one to four third molars growing in those narrow gaps at the back of our mouths, a lucky 35 percent of Americans are born without any wisdom teeth at all.

http://www.angieslist.com/articles/6-important-wisdom-teeth-questions-answered.htm

I wish I had been one of those people. I had two complete sets of wisdom teeth (8 total). It took two separate surgeries to remove them all.

Oh my gosh, I didn't know that was possible! The only person I ever met who was born without wisdom teeth is my children's pediatrician. When we were discussing wisdom teeth she told me she was lucky enough to be born with none!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
asscherisme|1454691749|3987240 said:
House Cat|1454521014|3986282 said:
momhappy|1454510323|3986159 said:
I went to my dentist a couple of years ago and after doing routine x-rays she said that I should have my wisdom teeth removed. When I asked why (because they have never caused me any issues) she said that they could potentially cause problems and it would be a "preventative" measure. Are you kidding me :confused: Like I'm going to volunteer to have my wisdom teeth pulled because they "might" cause me problems some day :rolleyes: I'm 40-something years-old and the only way I'm having my wisdom teeth yanked out is if they actually cause problems.
My 21 year old is having his removed on Friday. I was given guilt about not having them done sooner...sigh. The kid has been so busy with accelerated academics and work since High School and he is also chronically ill and was always having medical procedures done during breaks. This was the last thing on our priority list. :blackeye:

We had to watch a video at the oral surgeon's office about wisdom teeth and the removal. The video stated that even if you aren't having any problems, decay can form in your jaw and beneath the gum line where the teeth live. Also, the older you get, the thinner the bones become and the deeper the roots grow, making removal more complicated and risky. This also makes healing worse. The roots can grow into a nerve that runs along the jaw line. You might want to get a consult and have them watch your wisdom teeth carefully to ensure that you aren't having any issues. You also should understand that if any issues arise, the older you get, the more complicated the procedure gets.

This is so true. My son was 19 when he had his out and had a harder time healing than my daughter who was 16. I am going to be more on top with my younger kids and go for younger if they need it. 16 seemed about perfect. I think we have similar sons, accelerated academics and health issues. But you are getting it done now for him so that's a good thing.

My kids enjoyed milkshakes after.

I don't know if your surgeon told you this, but make sure to avoid straws for the first few days They can cause blood clots to come loose. And don't be alarmed at the swelling. I was so shocked how swollen my kids faces got! My poor daughter- she has a really thin face and she looked like one of those people they put fake fat suit padding on. It just didn't look like her at all. It took almost a week to fully go down. I hope it goes/went well by the time you read this.
Thank you!! I do hope when the time comes, he will do alright. He has an incredible tolerance for pain. I have seen it many times through medical procedures, but then again, that doesn't really translate into healing. We shall see!

He woke up this morning with a cold and we have to reschedule for spring break. I tell you, I can never pin this kid down! :))

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have all my wisdom teeth which grew in straight, but ended up with over-crowding of my front teeth, so last year, at the ripe age of 42, I decided to get braces! I had to have 3 premolars removed to spread out the overcrowding (one premolar was removed as a teen). They removed my premolars instead of wisdom teeth because it was closer to the front of my mouth where all the overcrowding was. This shortens the time I would need braces from 5 years to 2! Thank GOD!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am the only one in my family who had their wisdom teeth out--and I have three sisters. I have a small jaw and had 4 teeth extracted because of overcrowding--and had braces. The wisdom teeth were removed, in addition, so as not to disrupt the corrected teeth. I simply did not have room for all the teeth that were designed for me!

My son had his wisdom teeth out as well--small jaw like me. At least he didn't need additional extractions, only braces. He healed very well, although it does take a long time for the gums to fill in.

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results