color
clarity

Let's talk branded pieces...Yssie, DS, and all other fans

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Let's talk branded pieces...Yssie, DS, and all other fan

LLJsmom|1453227210|3977999 said:
Jambalaya, I do love Cartier's amulette, and almost anything VCA. But it is so hard to commit because of price. For example I have been looking at a VCA pendant for the longest time, but I feel more ready to plunk down the same money on a diamond than a VCA piece. I think it's because I don't think I would wear my VCA everyday. I'm seriously considering some Tiffany pieces, but I would rather spend the money on making a full eternity. Thank goodness I call mull over these things on this thread. Otherwise I might not be able to keep my eyes on the ball to reach these longer term goals.

I must say I admire your courage to do color. I'm too cheap and chicken. :lol: Your choices on the other thread are gorgeous, pieces that I always admire on other people but that I never have courage to wear on me.

Yeah, those prices. Man. Perhaps pre-loved is the way to go? 1,800 is enough for the small amulette - the larger ones are over 4k and I just don't want to spend that for those semi-precious stones.

Oooh, which Tiffany pieces are you considering?

Re. color, I found a local store which sells inexpensive semi-precious stones set in silver, and I've taken advantage, inspired by Kiki McDonough. It gives you confidence to wear color when you wear bright but inexpensive pieces, and get used to it that way. I must get round to photographing my peridot heart. I never used to like color so much - also there is the issue of treatments with colored stones. It can be a world of pain. But some of them such as iolite, peridot, and sunstone are untouched.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

Oh Yssie! So exciting! And I adore that setting so I can only imagine with your tweaks it could be stellar. Yay! Fingers crossed the right rock calls out to you soon.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1453212746|3977864 said:
diamondseeker2006|1453068720|3977252 said:
I will have to say, when you have a great diamond, a simple setting works well for daily wear. I've been totally happy with my Vatch U-113, although I like it best with a mrb. The example I really think of is m2b, because she had her 3.5+ ct H&A in a Victor Canera solitaire and now she has the 4 ct it in a WF Tiffany repro as she is keeping options open for a reset. But I really feel like large rb solitaires are most elegant in simple solitaires worn with a diamond band, of course!

As one who who tries to make financially sound decisions most of the time (but I have occasional lapses when it comes to diamonds :twirl: ), I think the risk of higher diamond prices would make me put the large diamond first. We all know VCA prices increase some each year, but diamond prices on a 3.5-4 ct stone two years is more of a gamble, especially since that diamond is going to be priced higher than the bracelet in the first place. I think about this a lot myself. It is the perfect time to buy, but it isn't the greatest time to sell. That's what I have to decide.

I'll be watching with interest to see what you decide, Yssie! I love both, so you can't go wrong! I just have this slight feeling that I would be OCD about keeping that bracelet immaculate, which means I wouldn't wear it very much! I'd probably do better with an all gold vintage Alhambra bracelet!
J, can I urge you to hold onto your AVR for a few more months? Diamond prices are starting to creep back up and I strongly suspect you'd be able to get considerably more if you can hold out for a bit. I know you take fantastic care of your pieces and your stone is a branded beauty, and you've had it for a while - I don't want to see you take any loss on it at all, frankly!

I also have to laugh because I know exactly what you mean about keeping the bracelet clean! I have two concerns with it:
- Keeping all those melee clean - I'd want to wear it every day, and that means daily scrubbing!!
- The clasp. It's the same clasp as on the Signature, and it catches on sweaters. And I live in sweaters, year-round, the larger the knit the better. It's probably fixable - curve the latch a bit, etc., but... a mild annoyance nonetheless.

Yikes, I very much hate to hear of prices rising. ;( I know, I know, buy low, sell high. That is the smart way to do things! I just need to figure out buying a new diamond before prices go up without selling the current one!

Okay, now I have to catch up on all the other posts and see if you have decided anything yet!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie, I love that setting, too! I think it is a good idea to add a little substance to it, and I have a suggestion for the profile view if you get to that point (not that you probably haven't already thought of it!).

Soooo, now we will anxiously wait to hear about your diamond search! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom|1453247072|3978211 said:
Just happened across this site and saw this beautiful ring. I clicked on it, and lo and behold. It's Tiffany.

http://erstwhilejewelry.com/products/2-03-carat-art-deco-tiffany-co-engagement-ring

I don't know what it is about this ring, but it so pretty, and easy on the eyes. The proportions feel great.

I love this so much. Antique Tiffany rings are my favorite. I wish they'd realize that reproducing some of these old styles would be big sellers for them. But in the meantime, we can certainly reproduce them!

It's seeing pictures like this that really make me rethink giving up the AVR. :-o

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1453305939|3978569 said:
LLJsmom|1453247072|3978211 said:
Just happened across this site and saw this beautiful ring. I clicked on it, and lo and behold. It's Tiffany.

http://erstwhilejewelry.com/products/2-03-carat-art-deco-tiffany-co-engagement-ring

I don't know what it is about this ring, but it so pretty, and easy on the eyes. The proportions feel great.

I love this so much. Antique Tiffany rings are my favorite. I wish they'd realize that reproducing some of these old styles would be big sellers for them. But in the meantime, we can certainly reproduce them!

It's seeing pictures like this that really make me rethink giving up the AVR. :-o

DS, a coincidence huh? Tiffany also was selling I, VVS, OECs just like your AVR, except your AVR is prettier. :bigsmile:

Stunning ring. I even like the prongs. It works with the stone and the setting.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I hate doing this, but just a drive-by update for my bling sisters who've been kind enough to indulge me pretty much hijacking of this thread for a while - I promise I'm nearly done, and I promise proper responses tomorrow!

I have a stone on hold at JA! A 3.41 K VS2. Lower in colour and higher in clarity than my preferred combo, but it checks all the proportions boxes I wanted and comes in just under budget :bigsmile: I'll get it... Sometime in the next couple of week, I suppose? Travel complicates the shipping ;(

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1453352090|3978933 said:
I hate doing this, but just a drive-by update for my bling sisters who've been kind enough to indulge me pretty much hijacking of this thread for a while - I promise I'm nearly done, and I promise proper responses tomorrow!

I have a stone on hold at JA! A 3.41 K VS2. Lower in colour and higher in clarity than my preferred combo, but it checks all the proportions boxes I wanted and comes in just under budget :bigsmile: I'll get it... Sometime in the next couple of week, I suppose? Travel complicates the shipping ;(

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

:pray: yes! yes! threadjack away!! More! More! Can't wait Yssie...

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

So exciting, Yssie!!!! I can't wait to hear what you think!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Boom

Shiny_Rock

Wow Yssie, you move fast! Wish I was that decisive.

Hope the stone is everything you want and more.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Stone's in! Warning - spectacularly unglamorous pics upcoming...

GIA 3.41 K VS2
55/36/40.6/75

j_1.jpg

j_2.jpg

j_3.jpg

j_4.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Probably the best size comps - new stone is ~9.6mm, stud (set in 9-prong setting) is ~8.9mm. The yellow zircon (loose in the second pic) is exactly the same size as the stud stone - setting definitely adds some size. In these sizes adding additional tenths of a mm apparently really just doesn't make as much much visible difference though.

Initial thoughts... It's not love at first sight, but I don't believe I'm capable of love at first sight anymore when it comes to diamonds - I'm too used to analysing them! So that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

A) Love the cut! Small table, thick chunky mains, high crown, excellent optical symmetry...
B) Don't mind the body colour visually, but would prefer a J for a "mind-clean" match to my studs
C) Would prefer larger (~10mm) - I'm actually shocked by how little difference there is between this new stone and my old stones! Maybe the settings are adding more size than I'm giving them credit for?
D) Would prefer not to drop clarity to achieve (B) and (C) and am not prepared to sacrifice flavour (A), which means throwing in probably 12-15k more - which I'm just not prepared to do right now, BUT
E) Diamond prices are low right now, so it's the 'smarter' buy, and there's always the option of upgrading in a few years! (Now I feel like I'm trying to talk myself into keeping it). She'd go in a modified Margot by Erika Winters.

Vs. the Perlee:

Ack. So much for easy decision!

_36299.jpg

perlee_1.png

j_66.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie! Congrats!!!!! I do see the difference in size. But maybe you are looking for a bigger difference... The perlee is completely different and invokes a completely different feeling...

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It'll look bigger once it's set. K VS2 is a great combo!! You get a LOT of bang for your buck.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Keep looking and wait for a larger and higher color Diamond. Be prepared to shell out more money.

Does not sound like you are completely thrilled with this Diamond, as you are already thinking about next upgrade now. I agree with you that there is not much of a visual size difference.

Do not settle. Every time you upgrade, you lose money. Don't be distracted by current, low Diamond price. Focus on exactly what you want. Don't be surprised that you would not be able to take advantage of the current low Diamond price. For large 3.5 and up, top cut Diamond of high color and clarity, there is always a premium price regardless of the market conditions.

In addition, stay with minimum of J color VS2 if you can.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My eyes do not notice much of a size difference but there is a noticeable color difference--I prefer the J color on you. I'm not sure you should keep it. I'm starting to lean towards the perlee since you know that you love it!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would be all about a diamond rather than the bracelet but not wild about settling for something you don't love. I think you're headed in the right direction but not sure that you've arrived at your destination yet!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie, how are you feeling about it now? I definitely see a difference in the pic with you holding them between your fingers, face up. Where is this one from, JA you said? If you wanted to upgrade, won't they require that you spend 2X?

I guess it's true, that if you feel you are settling, wait. But if you like it a lot, and the price is right, and you don't need to spend 2x to upgrade, then why not?

Unless you are totally dying for the perlee...

How often would you wear either? The perlee more or the big rock more?

I think that is a tough one. But I do get the feeling that you are yearning for that perlee, like I was yearning for my LOVE bracelet/cuff. I don't regret buying it. It's so beautiful. I love looking at it every time I am wearing it. It never has a bad angle, like my MRB does. :lol:

Would you wear your perlee several times a week or just for special occassions?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you SO much everyone!

It's going back. It's gorgeous, but's just too much money not to be completely happy. I think I'd be happy with either significantly larger or higher-colour... I think I do want a stone, more than the bracelet, but I'm guessing I'll be searching for a while. JA apparently takes three weeks to process a wire transfer return! :-o

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1454425605|3985608 said:

It's going back. It's gorgeous, but's just too much money not to be completely happy. I think I'd be happy with either significantly larger or higher-colour... I think I do want a stone, more than the bracelet, but I'm guessing I'll be searching for a while. JA apparently takes three weeks to process a wire transfer return! :-o

I believe I would have done the same.

At the risk of preaching to the choir :bigsmile: --the time waiting will provide "pause". I have been exercising restraint, or willpower, or have been pausing ever since I sold my diamond almost a year ago. MANY times I have been tempted to buy something in its place thinking it was just what I wanted--most of those items have now sold (branded diamond rings) and when I think about it, I have no regret. I have yet to have that feeling of the "one that got away"--although the Leon Mege sapphire ring was close. :love:

I am patient, cuz I know something "perfect" will come my way. For you also, Yssie.

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FancyDiamond|1454355519|3985226 said:
Keep looking and wait for a larger and higher color Diamond. Be prepared to shell out more money.

Does not sound like you are completely thrilled with this Diamond, as you are already thinking about next upgrade now. I agree with you that there is not much of a visual size difference.

Do not settle. Every time you upgrade, you lose money. Don't be distracted by current, low Diamond price. Focus on exactly what you want. Don't be surprised that you would not be able to take advantage of the current low Diamond price. For large 3.5 and up, top cut Diamond of high color and clarity, there is always a premium price regardless of the market conditions.

In addition, stay with minimum of J color VS2 if you can.

This pretty much sizes it up for me. I'd go to 3.6+ cts next time, definitely J VS2.

I think I am right there with you on having seen too many diamonds to feel "in love" with one, but you will know when it's right!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal|1454426547|3985613 said:
Yssie|1454425605|3985608 said:

I believe I would have done the same.

At the risk of preaching to the choir :bigsmile: --the time waiting will provide "pause". I have been exercising restraint, or willpower, or have been pausing ever since I sold my diamond almost a year ago. MANY times I have been tempted to buy something in its place thinking it was just what I wanted--most of those items have now sold (branded diamond rings) and when I think about it, I have no regret. I have yet to have that feeling of the "one that got away"--although the Leon Mege sapphire ring was close. :love:

I am patient, cuz I know something "perfect" will come my way. For you also, Yssie.

cheers--Sharon

I SO agree on patience paying off. It is very costly to buy things and lose money to sell it when you find the better thing! I am very cautious about buying now.

I apparently missed the LM sapphire ring. I wish I was watching things a little more closely!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamondseeker Can I possibly impose on you with a request?

There's a 3.5ct J SI1 ACA available at WF right now. I've asked for info on whether or not it's eyeclean, but my beloved rep is on maternity leave at the moment ( :appl: )... could I ask you to take a look at it whilst you're there for me, if you have time, and tell me what you think? I "know" your eye for clarity!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1454431867|3985658 said:

There's a 3.5ct J SI1 ACA available at WF right now. I've asked for info on whether or not it's eyeclean, but my beloved rep is on maternity leave at the moment ( :appl: )... could I ask you to take a look at it whilst you're there for me, if you have time, and tell me what you think? I "know" your eye for clarity!!

Yes! It would be my pleasure! I have already been asked to look at a different stone, so I will make a list for the stones they need to bring out! :appl: I did hear that both Sheerah and Liza are on maternity leave!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1454455362|3985868 said:

Yes! It would be my pleasure! I have already been asked to look at a different stone, so I will make a list for the stones they need to bring out! :appl: I did hear that both Sheerah and Liza are on maternity leave!

Genius!!! Fabulous idea Yssie! Ohboyohboyohboy!! I can't wait to see what DS thinks about it. J, 3.5 an ACA!! Check, check and CHECK!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!! ok calm down girl... I AM SO EXCITED!!!!

DS, you will be one busy bee there! Oh my goodness. So FUN!!!!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

A 3.5ct JSI1 ACA - - - - - - :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know! It really will be such fun! The 3.5 J does not have the eyeclean symbol, and I think that's probably why she wants me to look at it. I really, really wish it would be clean enough!

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Yssie,
I looked up this Diamond online. I love the cut spec, and I can vision this Diamond being the best of the best, with high crown and everything. The ASET and IS images are the best one can hope for. Price is great for a top cut Diamond of enviable size. The only question is the clarity. However, I find the photo of the actual Diamond promising. At lest, there are no huge, dark spots.
For risk of this Diamond being snatched while you wait for your refund from JA, I would do the followings:
Have Bob from WF take a look at the Diamond, and give you opinion regarding the inclusions (including any durability issue). Question is how far away the inclusions become invisible. 7 inches, 8-9, or over 10?
Have the Diamond placed on hold.
Try to free up funds, including requesting fast return processing from JA and working out with WF, so as to get this Diamond In your possession for inspection. I know DS can give you a fast and trusted assessment, but there is no replacement for your own inspection. When the situation is marginal, only you know if the inclusions are acceptable.
Honestly, if I were in the market for this size Diamond and if I were interested in J color, I would not hesitate getting this baby in my hand for purchase decision.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results