shape
carat
color
clarity

Hidden Netflix Gem Thread

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finished the last season of the Following - wah! I could totally have gotten on board with a season 4!!!

Watching Season 5 of Dexter and it's got Johnny Lee MIller in it. All I keep thinking whenever I see him on the screen is - "it's the guy from Hackers, a.k.a. Angelina Jolie's ex husband!"

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just looking for something fun to fall asleep to, and Ermagherd Degrassi is now a Netflix original series! I was so devastated when they canceled it! I remember going home to afternoons at the babysitter's and watching Degrassi on PBS. She didn't have cable so it was slim pickings on TV! 15 plus years later I catch a marathon on cable TV of the next generation and got hooked (again).

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64 said:
Just watched this fashion doc on Iris Apfel. Amazing. Full of wisdom and wonderful quotes. This was made a few years ago, but she is 94 now and still going strong. Apologies if this has already been posted, but I'm not going back through all these pages to check and anyway, it's worth mentioning again! :wavey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo8jwJ_2l0c

+1000000

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I don't remember how old I was when I first saw "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie". But I watched it today, again, while exercising. Worth a revisit!

cheers--Sharon

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have another movie to add. "Bill Cunningham New York" is a great documentary on a famous fashion photographer.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love streaming comedies before bed. Finished parks and recreation ;( And started watching Malcolm in the Middle. It's even funnier to me now that I'm a bit more...seasoned lolol.

Started Wentworth...

Looking forward to seeing if a revival of Gilmore Girls comes to fruition.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"The Imitation Game"

Excellent excellent excellent.

Not streaming though - DVD only right now.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just started watching a really good series on Netflix last night called "Run". We have only seen the first 2 episodes so far but we are enjoying it. A gritty depiction of life on the streets around Bristol England. It is fast paced action packed thriller and each episode is a different story but linked all together. So far it is very entertaining.

http://www.netflix.com/search/run?jbv=80025804&jbp=0&jbr=0

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
CJ2008|1454212085|3984441 said:
"The Imitation Game"

Excellent excellent excellent.

Not streaming though - DVD only right now.

I'm pretty sure its on Canadian Netflix for those Canucks. Or those with a VPN. :Up_to_something:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah I thought VPNs didn't work anymore?! We used to have US Netflix and then it went away :(

Big update. After watching Making a Murderer, I started to get really into other crime documentaries. I watched many more than this, but these are a few of my favourites.

-The Central Park 5 - Has similarities to MAM with false confessions, lack of evidence, etc.
-Life with Murder - son convicted of killing his sister and the family aftermath
-Selling of a serial killer and the follow up Life and Death of a serial killer - this is the lady that the Charlize Theron movie 'Monster' was about. Some interesting twists and turns in the story. Recommend watching the first one first.
-Dear Zachary - Omg. Could not stop crying.
-Into the Abyss - More murder. 3 people dead after some kids try to steal a car.

I've also been watching some food documentaries, but they aren't as gripping, and really makes me feel bad about what I eat!

In other news, I'm also watching every single xfile before starting the newest season :geek: :lol:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori E-ring|1454129529|3983934 said:
I have another movie to add. "Bill Cunningham New York" is a great documentary on a famous fashion photographer.

Tacori, I watched that a couple weeks ago after Iris Apfel! Netflix has a bunch of fashion docs, I've been working my way through some of them. So far I've watched:

Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf Goodman's

Unzipped

Advanced Style (think it was posted here awhile back but worth mentioning again!)

Dior and I

Oh, and I'm adding Paris Is Burning here because it is fashion-related, although it is mainly about drag culture. It was released in 1990 and covers the 80s trans and gay "ball" scene in NYC. Willi Ninja, who is credited with inventing vogueing, is featured. Supremely interesting documentary--I had to google it and then wiki everyone in its names to see whatever became of them. Some of their stories are heartbreaking, surprising, sad, but always tremendously intriguing.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Monnie, I mentioned "Advanced Style" a while back. I loved all those. It is so fun and feel good. I will have to check out the ones I haven't watched on your list. I also love food movies.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori E-ring|1454374269|3985373 said:
Monnie, I mentioned "Advanced Style" a while back. I loved all those. It is so fun and feel good. I will have to check out the ones I haven't watched on your list. I also love food movies.

Any of the ones that feature older women and men make me ridiculously happy. Just seeing people live out their golden years doing what they love and wearing fun clothing gives me hope that life after a certain age isn't all polyester and fleece. Even Bill Cunningham's personal style was like an iconic uniform, in a sense (the rain ponchos he duct taped together and the $17 uniform jackets).

I'll have to check out some food docs. I'm more into the planet and agriculture stuff. There's a show on PBS called Chef and the Farmer that I like, they're in NC and do some pretty cool things. I'll have to check out some more foodie-type stuff on Netflix. Holla if you have any recs. :wavey:

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to watch some food movies. Can you give some recommendation? Does anyone know of any good food-based books?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gem Queen|1454380445|3985433 said:
I would love to watch some food movies. Can you give some recommendation? Does anyone know of any good food-based books?

Babette's Feast and Big Night come to mind, but I don't know if they're available on Netflix...

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I started watching Boss - a TV series that features Kelsey Grammar as a very cutthroat mayor of Chicago. It's an older show (2011), but just recently released on Netflix. For Van Cleef & Arpels fans, the mayor's wife, Meredith, is basically a walking ad for VCA! She's constantly wearing several Alhambra necklaces and I've also spotted her with pieces like the Perlee bracelet.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock

I liked Jiro Dreams of Sushi and Haute Cuisine. There's also Chef, if you're a Jon Favreau fan.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock

In search of General Tao
Chefs Table

Are my two.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
telephone89|1454360818|3985265 said:
Ah I thought VPNs didn't work anymore?! We used to have US Netflix and then it went away :(

Mine has been working, I don't think all regions have been blocked yet.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1454360818|3985265 said:

Big update. After watching Making a Murderer, I started to get really into other crime documentaries. I watched many more than this, but these are a few of my favourites.

-The Central Park 5 - Has similarities to MAM with false confessions, lack of evidence, etc.
-Life with Murder - son convicted of killing his sister and the family aftermath
-Selling of a serial killer and the follow up Life and Death of a serial killer - this is the lady that the Charlize Theron movie 'Monster' was about. Some interesting twists and turns in the story. Recommend watching the first one first.
-Dear Zachary - Omg. Could not stop crying.
-Into the Abyss - More murder. 3 people dead after some kids try to steal a car.

I've also been watching some food documentaries, but they aren't as gripping, and really makes me feel bad about what I eat!

In other news, I'm also watching every single xfile before starting the newest season :geek: :lol:

I'm going to share this with my DH! He loves documentaries, esp. crime ones!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
blackprophet|1454516814|3986236 said:

In search of General Tao
Chefs Table

Are my two.

Those two are good!!!!

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
Yaaay. Thank you!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

Chef and The Hundred Foot Journey were really good.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chelsea Does... Ok, she is not my favorite person, but she's smart as hell, and this was very well done.

--The Drugs one is mediocre, it needed more science to it and less anecdotal stuff, it was too much about her and her friends doing drugs and talking about doing drugs and more on her with her neurologist friend explaining and showing the effects of specific drugs--they needed to do head scans to show how her brain was actually reacting, vs just showing how she behaved and talking about it.

--Marriage was good, but there were some things she did in the beginning that really bothered me--as a wedding vendor. She was really rude to some wedding professionals and I was not having it, not to mention another celebrity who did not deserve that behavior. But what she does in the last maybe 20 minutes? Almost makes up for it. No spoiler here but I was like cheering.

--Silicon Valley was just fascinating. I liked that she visited a variety of different "players" in the Valley, investors, to coders, to even doctors showing how our brains work now with all this overload. I liked that she got involved with several levels of app creation as well, though I would've liked to see MORE. I could say that about all of them, though.

--The best of all four though was the Racism one. This could've been another hour long, easily. It was PHENOMENAL and was by far the best work SHE has ever done, not to mention one of the best things I've ever watched. The ignorance of so many people she showed was...mind blowing...and she showed how far we still have to come not only in the US, but in the world. It was, like I said, one of the best things I've watched, ever. And I wish it had been longer.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Two other things we've watched and liked are
Master of None
Scrotal Recall (the name alone was worth a look)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"We Need to Talk About Kevin"

Really enjoyed it.

ilovegems95

Rough_Rock
telephone89|1421866619|3819962 said:
The killing. It took me a few episodes to get into it but once I was, I loved it.
The 100. Kind of hunger games-esque. (comes back tmr!)
The mindy project. I learn so many life lessons from dear mindy.

I'm not sure if I will have the recommendations on here (canadian netflix =\) but I will sure look.

I would not compare The 100 to Hunger Games, it's superior in every way. Sorry, but I'm super passionate about it. Wanheada will reign!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results