shape
carat
color
clarity

BGD recut analysis.... what would you do?!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The monetary value of the stone is not relevant here. She is NOT selling the diamond! I went from 1 ct to .80 which would also mean monetary loss. But when it is a stone you are keeping forever, what difference does that make???

There have been some good posts since I last posted. But the fact that your mom is clearly not in love with the diamond or the setting says to me that she is ready to start over. Be sure she does see an ideal cut diamond in person before the decision is made. Then, I agree about considering a transitional recut rather than Towlkowsky ideal cut. But, here are things you need to know about that. I love Yoram and have a ring cut by him and his team (Good Old Gold AVR), so I know the level of cut perfection that he can do. But he is expensive...a good bit more than the $350 a carat that BG charges. So you do have to factor that into this equation. Ari at SS has adapted a MRB to a transitional before, but that person was also buying a setting from him, and he may not do it otherwise. I can't recommend SS for settings anymore, because they are priced much too high and others have the skill to produce antique style settings such as CVB/LAD who have already been mentioned. So while I love the idea of maybe retaining a little more weight by cutting to a tranny or OEC, it is likely going to involve more money spent to do it, and it still might lose a fair amount of weight.

So, really, if your mom likes modern ideal cuts, then stick with BG. But if she'd like an older style cut, then you will likely be looking at a higher cost to do it, probably. Settings are easy, look at CVB Inspired Design on FB for lots of photos and Beverely K is a brand of nice quality antique style settings. I wouldn't overwhelm her with too many brands (because some of us are prone to analysis paralysis), but those two sources are good. Greenwich Jewelers has some good BK photos on their site (a little better than the BK site), but you can buy BK from Pearlman's and GOG.

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you all again! We are still taking our time but we are leaning towards doing it. She loves modern cut RB (more than me, I am an antique cut person all the way!). She's been wearing a much smaller diamond while her hand is swollen from surgery (an 0.9 ct) and while she misses the size, she is loving the antique setting and sparkle of the MRB diamond that is in it. Listening to what she has said in the past and what she is currently saying, while she will miss the little bit of diameter and weight, I think she would appreciate the stoen more if the cut were better. It really is a great time to do this as I don't think she would part with her ring any other time than now, when she is unable to wear it.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd have it recut. BGD are masters when it comes to getting things to sparkle :)

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I did have a BGD recut and would do it again. I made a tremendous difference for my diamond. That being said, I did take plenty of time to consider it carefully before choosing to do so. I hope she is thrilled and at peace with whatever she chooses to do.

If she is shopping for a semi-mount for a 7.5 mm stone, I think a gorgeous vintage setting is available on db. :)

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had Brian recut my mom's for me. Honestly, it was super sparkly before, but if I stared into it I saw some asymmetry, plus there were a few mouse bites on the girdle. Do I EVER think about how it used to be larger? Yes, but I think I am a bit OCD and I do stare into it a lot - I would have always wondered. Mine is not in my mom's setting bc I had it made into a 3-stone, but I never for one second forget that it was hers and I always feel that sentimental attachment.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If your mother is not in love with her Diamond, recutting it or replacing it (sell and then buy new) will be the way to go. However, make sure that you understand the target cut spec is such the the recut Diamond will have a shallow crown angle of only 33.8. So do not expect the Diamond will look like the top cut, ideal diamonds with crown angles closer to 34.5. I have many ACA diamonds cut with crown angles close to 34.5, and believe me, they all sparkle madly with fire, as if they keep talking to me. This is why I say they have a personality. My recut Diamond with a shallow angle slightly under 34.0 (predicted by Brian to be AGS 0), on the other hand, appears stationary. It is very white (due to F color) and bright. That's all. Just to make sure about your expectation for the recut Diamond.

When was the last time your mother gave her Diamond a good cleaning? A "dirty" Diamond will look bad even if it is ideal cut. If not cleaned, perhaps it is the reason why your mother does not like her Diamond. From the photos, her Diamond is indeed not ideal cut, but it is not ugly like some people said. I see quite a lot of red/brightness.

queradas

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1453827582|3981747 said:
Then, I agree about considering a transitional recut rather than Towlkowsky ideal cut. But, here are things you need to know about that. I love Yoram and have a ring cut by him and his team (Good Old Gold AVR), so I know the level of cut perfection that he can do. But he is expensive...a good bit more than the $350 a carat that BG charges. So you do have to factor that into this equation.

The term Transitional means different things to different people, its probably one of the terms that most diamond dealers cannot agree on. Instead I would talk in technical terms, what I think you are referring to is shorter lower halves (visually thicker arrows from the mains).This would allow for the potential of more fire even with a moderate crown.

Problem here is the shallow crown, and going to a transitional, where the tables sizes are all over the place but in general the crown angles were steeper(not necessarily as steep as OEC) but steeper than the MRB means even more weight and size loss.

I am afraid its probably not a good candidate for an MRB and even worse for an OEC or transitional. But maybe Diagem an actual cutter can chime in and confirm.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
queradas|1453834321|3981829 said:
diamondseeker2006|1453827582|3981747 said:
Then, I agree about considering a transitional recut rather than Towlkowsky ideal cut. But, here are things you need to know about that. I love Yoram and have a ring cut by him and his team (Good Old Gold AVR), so I know the level of cut perfection that he can do. But he is expensive...a good bit more than the $350 a carat that BG charges. So you do have to factor that into this equation.

The term Transitional means different things to different people, its probably one of the terms that most diamond dealers cannot agree on. Instead I would talk in technical terms, what I think you are referring to is shorter lower halves (visually thicker arrows from the mains).This would allow for the potential of more fire even with a moderate crown.

Problem here is the shallow crown, and going to a transitional, where the tables sizes are all over the place but in general the crown angles were steeper(not necessarily as steep as OEC) but steeper than the MRB means even more weight and size loss.

I am afraid its probably not a good candidate for an MRB and even worse for an OEC or transitional. But maybe Diagem an actual cutter can chime in and confirm.

Brian Gavin has already said this stone is a good candidate, and I think I'd take his word on the matter.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are a lot off BEAUTIFUL flat top transitionals. I've seen several. Like I said, try to work with the stones existing structure and just improve the performance and the faceting. No reason to re-invent the wheel into a H&A ideal.

queradas

Rough_Rock
Andelain|1453842432|3981930 said:
Brian Gavin has already said this stone is a good candidate, and I think I'd take his word on the matter.

Sure you would, 21% weight loss and its a "good" candidate. By that logic any stone where the inclusions don't present a significant risk is a "good" candidate.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
queradas|1453820774|3981696 said:
Sorry but this is not a good candidate for a recut you will lose a LOT of value, in the thousands, and that is on top of the cost to recut.
If you had a grading report or a decent estimate of color/clarity I could even estimate how much value you would lose. The loss is so great, if you must change, you might be better off consigning it to GOG or another vendor and using the proceeds to purchase another stone.

Better candidates have moderate or steep crowns and steeper pavilions which can be recut without much loss of weight or diameter, mostly pavilion recuts with a slight touch to the crown, this is not the case here.

I am sure it is still a beautiful diamond, remember you are getting opinions from very cut centric niche consumers so the "group think" here is going to be highly biased towards ideal light performance as opposed to being value conscious.

If you are going to get a new setting you should decide on a budget and for best results have it custom made to the precise dimensions of the stone.

This. I was in this exact same boat. I did NOT opt for the re-cut as the value would have gone way down. I consigned my diamond with GOG instead and now another lady wears it and loves it! My diamond already had a pretty decent cut. This one doesn't look too bad either. And now if it does get re-cut, the setting won't work either? Hmmm.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results