shape
carat
color
clarity

Tacky question

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will never walk around with a 3 carat diamond on my hand. It's just not going to happen for me. I sometimes wish I had been born into some money or whatever, had more opportunity. I work like a dog for what little I have. I'll probably die fairly young with nothing to show for it. That's just life. Some people have it better than others, it's the natural order of things and I can either accept it or not. ::)

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is a really great topic but wow a difficult one at that.

Jewelry does not make one wealthy. Some people put their money into jewelry, gems instead of other things like a great home and/or cars and skimp on other things. This is just a preference when it comes to what to invest in or enjoy in life.

I used to really save on food and living expenses and instead put my money into things I truly enjoy and last a long time; designer stuff, jewelry, etc. Others would spend it on a vacation and be jealous. I chose not to spend it on vacations.

Cost of living -income ratios greatly vary depending on where you live in the world. Even in the most expensive area of the US cost of living is really cheap as compared to many parts of Europe and many parts of Europe would be very cheap compared to certain other parts of the world. The ratio is really good in the US compared to many other parts of the world, the reason I say this is because I have experience living on various different continents. Food and clothes, basic things are incredibly cheap in the US. If you own pets buying pet food is nothing in the US as compared to what you pay for the same in other parts of the world.

In certain parts of the world, some families have to live on 300 bucks a month. I am talking from experience of seeing families have to make it on that little money. To them a jewelry owner is a millionaire. But a person who owns jewelry may be in debt and have to skimp on other things.

I think that you are wealthy if you do not have to think of what you are buying, how much you are spending, own multiple properties possibly and/or luxury cars and/or expensive gems and jewelry and you still do not have to calculate and think about your spendings. Even then wealth is something you can very quickly lose at any time during your life. If you have to think and calculate then you are not wealthy but perhaps well off or comfortable.

I also believe that if you are born into wealth it can make your life even harder. I was born into wealth being probably the most wealthy in school and I got used to a certain standard of living, lifestyle, luxury everything, vacations, jewelry you name it. I had no concept of money while growing up and no idea about saving and how to save. I never considered money or fighting for it important. Once an adult and having to and wanting to make my own living without relying on family, I realized how extremely difficult it is and how much easier it is for people to be content when they were not born rich. As I simply cannot imagine not buying branded products and clothing since those were among the basics to me. To others these things mean nothing. They do not even know what they are so they can be content with much less. I simply cannot appreciate non-quality so learnt to save on other things and not buy often but when I do buy quality. The most difficult thing is to get used to a lower standard of living than you previously had.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
stracci2000|1453519473|3980056 said:
momhappy|1453476222|3979680 said:
stracci2000|1453418223|3979371 said:
All of you, who in the past have posted photos of your 2+ carat diamond purchases, and all your upgrades, are wealthy in my book. If you say you are not, perhaps you just dont realize it.

I don't think a 2+ carat diamond necessarily implies that someone is wealthy. Again, different people define wealth differently, which means that it's not about a lack of realization, it's about how one perceives wealth.

Really, Momhappy?? What did yours cost?
Spending $10,000 or more on a bauble is decadent. If you have that kind of money to spend on a "pretty" then I would say that you are well above the poverty level.
The exception is if you inherited it, or found it on the sidewalk.

I'm confused :confused: Why are you asking me how much my ring cost? And talking about housekeepers?
I think you misunderstood my point. I wasn't debating the fact that you might be considered wealthy if you have thousands to spend on bling - my point was that wealth is not necessarily determined by the things you can buy. Whether or not someone is wealthy can depend on a number of factors, not just whether or not they have a 2 carat ring.
By the way, there are lots of examples of 2 carat diamond rings and here are some examples of less expensive ones:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Imperial-2-Carat-T.W.-Diamond-Double-Halo-10kt-White-Gold-Engagement-Ring/42104622

http://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Carat-T.W.-Baguette-Princess-and-Marquis-White-Diamond-14-Carat-White-Gold-Engagement-Ring/30575974

http://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Carat-T.W.-Round-White-Diamond-14kt-White-Gold-Solitaire-Ring/39088825

http://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Carat-T.W.-Black-and-White-Diamond-10kt-White-Gold-Halo-Engagement-Ring/34246014

It's not just about the cost of the ring either - as I (and others) have mentioned before, just because one might buy expensive things, doesn't necessarily imply that they are wealthy. There are people who might make decent money (and therefore be considered wealthy), but they might manage their money poorly.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Interesting responses so far. I consider myself somewhere in the middle, I guess? I know there are lots of people who have it far worse, and there are many who have it better. My husband and I make fairly good money, but we have some student loan debt (more me than him). We have a lovely apartment that we rent, but I've always thought that a sign of "doing well" was owning a home. We're not there yet. We don't struggle to put food on the table or to do things we want to do, like concerts and the like. I definitely spend a lot on bling, but we don't vacation a lot and we're pretty frugal otherwise. My car is 15 years old! I consider myself to be very fortunate when I think that my mom didn't have shoes growing up in Portugal.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane|1453520620|3980072 said:
stracci2000|1453519473|3980056 said:
momhappy|1453476222|3979680 said:
stracci2000|1453418223|3979371 said:
All of you, who in the past have posted photos of your 2+ carat diamond purchases, and all your upgrades, are wealthy in my book. If you say you are not, perhaps you just dont realize it.

I don't think a 2+ carat diamond necessarily implies that someone is wealthy. Again, different people define wealth differently, which means that it's not about a lack of realization, it's about how one perceives wealth.

Really, Momhappy?? What did yours cost?
Spending $10,000 or more on a bauble is decadent. If you have that kind of money to spend on a "pretty" then I would say that you are well above the poverty level, and you probably have a housekeeper, too.
The exception is if you inherited it, or found it on the sidewalk.

Yikes, that's venomous. I don't know momhappy's story but just seeing someone with a 2ct. ring doesn't mean anything. Some people pay for things with credit cards - in other words, money they don't have. I'm more "wealthy" with zero debt and no ring than debt and a ring? I'm not implying that any of the people on PS spent money they didn't have (in fact my interpretation is that most of us are pretty responsible about money) but if I saw someone with a 2 carat ring I wouldn't assume they were rich with a "housekeeper" that's ridiculous.

Guess she deleted the part about the housekeeper.... I agree, that was a pretty toxic post.... :((
All I was trying to say is that wealth is not determined solely by the fact that someone has a 2 carat ring on their finger.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Rich is you and your family having zero health problems - food in your belly - a roof over your head - the rest is just icing on the cake

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I completely agree Momhappy, sorry to the poster but just the fact that someone is wearing a 2 carater does not equate that they are wealthy at all. It may have been a gift, inheritance or simply a choice of how to spend one's money. Like I said some do not buy a car but buy jewelry. A 10 K car would not mean that someone is rich correct? So the why would a 10 k ring mean that? I do not own a car but I own some jewelry that is well over 10 K. And no I am not rich by any means at all. I also do not own property right now. Sold it, put money into bling.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sphene|1453563425|3980215 said:
Rich is you and your family having zero health problems - food in your belly - a roof over your head - the rest is just icing on the cake

I totally agree. Never underestimate being healthy. When one is young they often do and I remember when my mom used to say to me when I was little health is all that really matters. And she was/is right. All the money in the world cannot cure many diseases or poor health and being sick does a number on your happiness no matter how positive your attitude is.

Of course money can make many things easier but it truly cannot buy happiness.

Wishing all PSers and their loved ones much good health and happiness.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1453563907|3980221 said:
This was an interesting article from 2013 on the definition of "wealthy ".

http://business.time.com/2013/07/24/what-it-means-to-be-wealthy-in-america-today/

Interesting article. Thanks cflutist. I still don't think of us as wealthy because it really boils down to where you live and what your expenses are. The thing is if we moved to someplace where our dollar would go a lot further I don't believe we would be happier. On the contrary I think we would be less happy for many reasons. Diversity, cultural interests, activities, family etc.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of these comments are funny to me just because so many of you who are very well off don't consider yourself wealthy.

I get its a matter of perspective, but I think maybe some people's perspectives need to be adjusted

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1453563979|3980225 said:

I totally agree. Never underestimate being healthy. When one is young they often do and I remember when my mom used to say to me when I was little health is all that really matters. And she was/is right. All the money in the world cannot cure many diseases or poor health and being sick does a number on your happiness no matter how positive your attitude is.

I totally agree with missy and Sphene.

As someone who survived a pterional craniotomy and neurosurgery to remove a brain tumor in 2015 it really puts good health in perspective. And although I have lingering scalp pain from my nerves regenerating and misfiring, this seems so trival when I think about Mrs. Whitney and her courageous battle with cancer.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1453565265|3980239 said:

As someone who survived a pterional craniotomy and neurosurgery to remove a brain tumor in 2015 it really puts good health in perspective. And although I have lingering scalp pain from my nerves regenerating and misfiring, this seems so trival when I think about Mrs. Whitney and her courageous battle with cancer.

So true. Real wealth has nothing to do with money and for those of us who have gone through or had loved ones who have gone through life and death experiences that point really hits home. (((HUGS))) to you Cheryl, and to Dani and to everyone who has dealt with or who is currently dealing with serious health concerns. I would give away all my money for my loved ones and me to have no serious health concerns. No question.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The worst is when someone is unhappy, poor and has health problems. Trust me I have known such people and their strength to survive is inspirational. By being unhappy meaning I had a wonderful neighbor of a woman who was poor, had serious health problems and was left by her husband yet she remained a truly good person and tried to help humans and animals and all those in need. Happiness and health are far more important than wealth, that said struggling financially can contribute to health problems and unhappiness too.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1453564925|3980234 said:
Some of these comments are funny to me just because so many of you who are very well off don't consider yourself wealthy.

I get its a matter of perspective, but I think maybe some people's perspectives need to be adjusted

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
cflutist|1453565265|3980239 said:

I agree with you and you've certainly been through a lot! I haven't had a personal health crisis (*knock on wood*) but I've had close family and friends that have and it really does help you to understand those things in life that are really, truly important.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^The OP wasn't asking if you are healthy.
She was talking about $$$$$$$.
You guys are in such denial.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the point of it is, if you don't have your health, what do you have, really? If you're diagnosed w/cancer and have to go thru chemo, and face the possibility of dying, money doesn't guarantee safe passage to the afterlife and it doesn't guarantee you life itself.

hay joe

Shiny_Rock

I know people that own high end cars a very nice home and a yacht that don't think they are wealthy.

I learned, from a seven year old, that the definition of rich is "Having all the money you need so you can buy food to eat" For years she was brought to the grocery store so she could eat as she walked the aisles. From her reaction, my guess is she had never been through the check out aisle. It took a while before she felt relaxed in a store.

So, to most I am not wealthy, to the little girl yes.

I am very fortunate and very lucky.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stracci has a point though. And I made it too, though a bit differently. NO ONE wants to admit how well off they are, because they FEEL like they aren't. And making choices about whether to spend your money on a car OR a 2 carat ring, means you probably have some genuine wealth - as defined by comparing US private net worths and not strictly by cash flow.

I don't really get that "if you don't have your health then what do you really have" bit, because we are all going to die - some sooner and some later. I have my life, like everyone else, that's what I have. Until I don't, also like everyone else. That is a sure bet whether I have means or not and has no bearing whether one has the means to pay for stuff. One thing I can guarantee though, having the money for access to good healthcare can most certainly improve your quality of life, whether short or long, and can definitely impact its length. The health and family and big puffy heart stuff being seen as wealth is great, but it going to be pretty lukewarm comfort when you're dying young because you can't afford that chemo because you don't have the absolute perfect set of circumstances. I would venture to say, that most here, if they lost their health insurance, would not be feeling content about their immanent demise simply because they had family who loved them.

Basically though, this whole discussion is all of us just scrabbling about who here has scraps enough to allow a few real choices, when the top 85 billionaires in the world have more wealth tied up amongst them than the bottom 3.5 billion humans, and the concentration is only accelerating.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wealthy is anyone who has more money than you

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Completely agree.

A ring that is 'only' 3k is still a huge, frivolous amount of money to spend on a bauble when someone makes $25,000 a year.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Niel I like that definition, I think from most people's perspectives, that would hold true. :lol:

hay joe

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1453573992|3980330 said:
Wealthy is anyone who has more money than you

I don't know about that. You could have more money than I and still be far from wealthy.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
stracci2000|1453569565|3980285 said:
^The OP wasn't asking if you are healthy.
She was talking about $$$$$$$.
You guys are in such denial.

Your posts sound bitter and I'm sorry if you feel like I've ruffled your feathers. None of this is personal. I don't disagree with you on the fact that jewelry can be a sign of wealth, but I just wanted to point out that you can't always make judgements about someone's financial status based on whether or not they are wearing a 2 carat diamond ring.
I think that all of us understand that the OP was asking specifically about money/income levels, but some of us have pointed out that wealth can be defined in many ways (including ways that aren't financial - like health, etc.). Some posters have gone through some pretty serious (even life-threatening) medical concerns and that has helped them to have a different perspective on things.
I agree that there is probably a fair amount of people who don't think they are wealthy, but in the grand scheme of things, they probably are. I think that if you live more conservatively (even if you have a larger income), you might not feel as wealthy as someone who lives more extravagantly.

Q

Queenie60

Perhaps those who are truly wealthy don't have a need to discuss it. Why must you toot your horn - just enjoy life peacefully.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no problem with threadjacks or threads that veer off track.
But I am annoyed when people present something unrelated as if it is an argument for or against the topic.

If the topic is wealth why bring up health?
It would make as much sense to also bring up not feeling wealthy while you're being struck by lightning.
Then there's how the intense pain of stubbing your toe takes over your whole being for a few minutes. Wealth doesn't mean anything then.

Then there is the wonderful experience of fine chocolate melting in your mouth, or how happy you were when your first child was born.
Then there's that time that I choked on popcorn. It was just so awful that I didn't appreciate my FCDs while I was gasping for air. :roll:

Sure, other stuff can trump wealth, but so what?
If something is not an argument for or against the topic why bring it up as if it is?

I heard a wonderful saying that's applicable here, ... "Sure, but what's that got to do with the price of eggs in Ethiopia?"

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1453577282|3980352 said:
I have no problem with threadjacks or threads that veer off track.
But I am annoyed when people present something unrelated as if it is an argument for or against the topic.

If the topic is wealth why bring up health?
It would make as much sense to also bring up not feeling wealthy while you're being struck by lightning.
Then there's how the intense pain of stubbing your toe takes over your whole being for a few minutes. Wealth doesn't mean anything then.

Then there is the wonderful experience of fine chocolate melting in your mouth, or how happy you were when your first child was born.
Then there's that time that I choked on popcorn. It was just so awful that I didn't appreciate my FCDs while I was gasping for air. :roll:

Sure, other stuff can trump wealth, but so what?
If something is not an argument for or against the topic why bring it up as if it is?

I heard a wonderful saying that's applicable here, ... "Sure, but what's that got to do with the price of eggs in Ethiopia?"

Yes I think many here are trying to use the term wealthy interchangeably with lucky, or blessed, or whatever one wants to call the fortunate circumstance of being healthy.

But Donald Trump isnt loosing his investments if he gets cancer.

And I can't take my clean bill of health to whiteflash to pay for my 3 ct aca.

The question is of monetary wealth

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"And I can't take my clean bill of health to whiteflash to pay for my 3 ct aca."

Niel, gotta say, I love this quote - both true and relevant to this thread.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
The discussion about health was related in terms of perspective - one poster survived a major health crisis, but felt her issue was nothing compared to another poster dealing with cancer.... The same type of perspective could be applied to a discussion of wealth. Do I feel wealthy? Sure, unless I'm comparing myself to Mark Zuckerberg.
And for what it's worth, I don't have an issue with threads veering off-topic - I find the discussions more interesting. Also, not everyone is comfortable discussing certain aspects of a sensitive subject. I don't think it's appropriate to discuss personal finances in detail, but there are other ways to contribute without being specific.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results