shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on 3ct options for upgrade

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
I have two diamonds for comparison and hope to get some advice.
I'm trying to upgrade from a 2ct to a larger size I will notice.

I've been trying to find something at WF in just under 3cts but that size is hard to find on that site. I'm thinking about selecting an H or I color and have really studied everyone's rings in SMTB for I and J stones trying to ascertain if I will be sensitive to the tint. Everyone's rings are beautiful.

I found two diamonds today. One is not from WF but JA. I really like the JA stone but I would need to sell my diamond and lose a lot in the sale. Still, I'd like to post specs on both and get opinions of each which will help me decide to wait a bit longer for something to show up at WF closer to the specs of the JA which is a 60/60 which can look very beautiful to me.

JA 3.01 H VS2 9.31 x 9.34 x 5.62
Table- 59%
Depth - 60.3%
Crown- 33.5%
PAv- 40.8%
Lower Facet - 75%
cloud,crystal,needle
Faint Fluorescents
No IS, or ASET available
HCA: The table produces a chart that does not have the red mapping but orange. Score of 1.3 ex,ex,ex,ex

This diamond has a nice spread and will probably exhibit the bright white flashes and not rainbow if I understand 60/60.

WF 3.52 I SI1 9.74 x 9.77 x 6.04
Table- 55.7%
Depth - 61.9%
Crown - 34.7%
Pav - 40.7%
Lower facet - 77%
Girdle thin to medium
Fluor - None
crystal,cloud,feather
HCA: 1.1

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3565597.htm#

Thanks in advance I always appreciate the feedback.
MrsT

aset_3.jpeg

is_of_3.jpeg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How fun, I can't wait to see what you choose!!

You probably already know this but you really can't tell what tint/color you will be comfortable with via photos. Photos can be very deceiving both in a good and bad way. Can you go to a high end jewelry store and look at some well cut 3 carat stones in H, I and J color?

Regarding those two stones, the JA one is a 60/60 which will favor bright white light and less colored light (also called fire or dispersion). The WF stone will have more dispersion than the JA stone. I think that is what you said in your post, although I couldn't tell if your line about the 60/60 was for the stone above (JA) or the stone below (WF).

For the JA stone, I would absolutely get an ASET for it since the CA is a little shallow. At what distance is the WF stone eye clean? Just make sure you're comfortable with the specific inclusions and their location since at that size some VS2 stones will not be eye clean.

What kind of setting are you thinking about? :bigsmile:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I really like the WF stone. And almost 10mm! :love: :love: :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the WF stone better, too, because of the cut.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The WF stone looks good to me!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I prefer the WF stone.

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
JDDN|1452137570|3971987 said:
How fun, I can't wait to see what you choose!!

You probably already know this but you really can't tell what tint/color you will be comfortable with via photos. Photos can be very deceiving both in a good and bad way. Can you go to a high end jewelry store and look at some well cut 3 carat stones in H, I and J color?

Regarding those two stones, the JA one is a 60/60 which will favor bright white light and less colored light (also called fire or dispersion). The WF stone will have more dispersion than the JA stone. I think that is what you said in your post, although I couldn't tell if your line about the 60/60 was for the stone above (JA) or the stone below (WF).

For the JA stone, I would absolutely get an ASET for it since the CA is a little shallow. At what distance is the WF stone eye clean? Just make sure you're comfortable with the specific inclusions and their location since at that size some VS2 stones will not be eye clean.

What kind of setting are you thinking about? :bigsmile:

Thank you fellow PS helpers!

Fire = dispersion, I've come to realize I might prefer the bright white light. My sister just purchased a 60/60 and some ladies she meets are re-doing their e-rings after they see hers. It's a 60/60. It's also an EGL with no crown/pavilion info. so I couldn't study the specs to see what is happening to make it so lightning bright.

Anyway, an inquiry has been made about inclusions. Agree with above statement that photos can be deceiving and it's a matter of personal comfort level when it comes to color. I try to keep an open mind and will continue to shop some stores to compare color but stores around here constantly make me feel like I don't know what I'm talking about and won't show me the certificates.

JDDN: The setting!?! This is a real challenge. It will depend on the size of course. I'm celebrating my 35th wedding anniversary and my 60th birthday this year. Age has nothing to do with the love of sparkly gems but it does have something to do with the style ring you put on your hand. DH likes classic eternity style with matching wedding band.

I'm thinking cushion halo with 1.5 - 1.8mm accent stones for halo depending on the end size of diamond. But, I'm trying to design a ring that will work together with a new wedding band. It has been a real challenge. I may be visiting Steven Kirsch on Tuesday to see if someone there can help me with this. I'm all over the map with things I love.

I'm open for suggestions. Some ideas from SK and MaytalH:

2012_maytal.jpg

steven_kirsch_0125_3.jpeg

img950822.jpg

knife_edge_eternity_.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to go out on a limb and say no double halos on a 3+ ct diamond! A simple single halo is very classy and elegant on a stone that size, in my opinion. It is awesome if you can go visit Steven! Having a matching wedding band made to match the shank of the e-ring is always a nice choice when you are having a quality ring made by someone like Steven.

I think most women have never seen an ideal cut stone, so it is hard to say that just because they liked someone's diamond really means anything. I think the big question for you is whether you'll be okay with I color in a halo, because those tiny melee stones in a halo appear very bright and white regardless of their color and you may notice a very slight tint in an I color. Many people here have gorgeous I and J color stones in delicate halos, though!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not so sure that you would lose money if you try to sell your WF 2ct given you've had it for many years and it's an ideal cut stone. Have you gotten any estimates for consigning or selling? As far as 60/60 stones are concerned, it's a different look than many PSers prefer but if you like it, no reason not to get that kind of MRB. I'd suggest looking at more than one 60/60 stone to make sure you like the white light return vs fire.

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1452184295|3972184 said:
I am going to go out on a limb and say no double halos on a 3+ ct diamond! A simple single halo is very classy and elegant on a stone that size, in my opinion. It is awesome if you can go visit Steven! Having a matching wedding band made to match the shank of the e-ring is always a nice choice when you are having a quality ring made by someone like Steven.

I think most women have never seen an ideal cut stone, so it is hard to say that just because they liked someone's diamond really means anything. I think the big question for you is whether you'll be okay with I color in a halo, because those tiny melee stones in a halo appear very bright and white regardless of their color and you may notice a very slight tint in an I color. Many people here have gorgeous I and J color stones in delicate halos, though!

I love honest advice! That's why I'm here. Thanks so much. I realize a double halo for a 3+ct is not necessary. I thought a double made by SK for a smaller size would give me the end size result of a 3.5ct in mm. That gives me the face up coverage I'm looking for. I'm thinking very tiny then slightly larger for the halo. I appreciate opinions that help me at least look closer at the my options.

First things first and that is discerning how my eye will perceive the "I" colors. And yes, I love the "I-J" choices the ladies have made on this site. The images are wonderful. I need to see this color option in person to really know. In an effort to learn this, I walked out of a local store yesterday after they told me AGS is not a good certificate. I have no issues with AGS or GIA period. Though I love the light performance detail on AGS certs! That is the second time I've heard that my cert is no good and one from a decent vendor I found on this site. This business takes a lot of patience!

I'll post images I hope to receive on the "I" I'm looking at.

Thanks!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrs.T|1452268976|3972648 said:
diamondseeker2006|1452184295|3972184 said:

I love honest advice! That's why I'm here. Thanks so much. I realize a double halo for a 3+ct is not necessary. I thought a double made by SK for a smaller size would give me the end size result of a 3.5ct in mm. That gives me the face up coverage I'm looking for. I'm thinking very tiny then slightly larger for the halo. I appreciate opinions that help me at least look closer at the my options.

First things first and that is discerning how my eye will perceive the "I" colors. And yes, I love the "I-J" choices the ladies have made on this site. The images are wonderful. I need to see this color option in person to really know. In an effort to learn this, I walked out of a local store yesterday after they told me AGS is not a good certificate. I have no issues with AGS or GIA period. Though I love the light performance detail on AGS certs! That is the second time I've heard that my cert is no good and one from a decent vendor I found on this site. This business takes a lot of patience!

I'll post images I hope to receive on the "I" I'm looking at.

Thanks!

Depending on what size your finger is, I actually think you could go with a very delicate (small melee) double halo if you really wanted to (especially if it was by VC or SK or the likes). I mean if you have size 3 fingers, then that may not work so well! Personally I think a single halo will be plenty striking, but by all means explore your options.

Forget about what the person said about AGS. I've been told that by jewelers before and I honestly find that very short sighted of them and it decreases my confidence in them. Maybe just tell them you're looking at larger stones and you simply want to see what color you're comfortable with. Leave it at that and don't tell them you're looking to up-grade your ring, thinking about buying from an online vendor, etc. You'll get all kinds of unsolicited advice and opinions that aren't particularly helpful. ;-)

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
Re: Upgrade - should I have my stone recertified

My head is spinning. Maybe ranting so I do apologize. This is a frustrating endeavor.
Is it true that suppliers don't want AGS Graded inventory because they are loose on color and clarity grading and send them out for GIA recert?

This concerns me.

That means an "I" isn't going to be an "I" by GIA standards? It could also mean that seeking an AGS SI1 in a larger stone is risky and I really should be looking at VS2's.

Can't these grading people come up with something consistent? I really thought you could trust the grading from both these labs. Then there's all the rounding up and it goes on and on. The local guys are clueless and Internet sales seems the only option to make a sound purchase but think again.

My diamond plot on stone I own has 1 little inclusions on table and 1 on lower half. I have to really try hard to find with a loupe but maybe my stone could be better than I thought and for safety I think I should know it's true value but who can you depend on?
If I'm trading in my diamond is it advisable to recertify by GIA since I already know the cut is good?

Maybe upgrading with a trade up policy isn't going to work for me. This is proving to be much harder than I thought.

I received images of the option from WF. It's only eye clean from 10". Lovely but I'm used to needing a loupe to see my inclusions. And now, the "I" color is more like a J if there is any truth to what I'm hearing.

:wall: I don't think I'm even making any sense.

I feel like I need a concierge person to guide me through this process because I'm not sure I can handle it.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Mrs.T|1452379918|3973390 said:
My head is spinning. Maybe ranting so I do apologize. This is a frustrating endeavor.
Is it true that suppliers don't want AGS Graded inventory because they are loose on color and clarity grading and send them out for GIA recert?

Hello Mts. T.,

Warning: you will have to take my post with a grain of salt, as we work exclusively with AGSL-reports, although we probably also have the widest experience in assessing GIA-graded stones.

I know that the story of AGSL being laxer than GIA in color-grading is very popular, mostly with vendors not having a supply of AGS-graded diamonds, but so is the story that purchasing from the Internet will only get you second-tier stones.

My experience, unfortunately, is that there seems to be a connection of GIA-grading to whom submitted the stones to GIA. Yes, i have sent AGS-graded diamonds to GIA, and I did receive regular (not always) downgrades in Color, which would confirm the story you have heard.

Then again, an Antwerp colleague of ours purchased 10 of our AGS-graded-diamonds some time ago, and submitted them to GIA, where he is a regular customer. He received a total of 9 upgrades, AND on Color, AND on Clarity, from GIA. That is exactly the opposite to a much bigger extent.

We are constantly assessing GIA-graded stones as well as stones from other labs. With GIA, we indeed often see very harsh color-grades, but we see at least the same number of cases where the grade is loose. Unfortunately, the fact remains that GIA is considered to be the authority worldwide, which results in the majority of GIA-graded stones being traded without the buyer checking, confirming or questioning the grade.

Sorry for potentially increasing the uncertainty and the frustration. So, here is my advice, trying to put things in perspective: When you look at the 4 C's of diamonds, many vendors out there will emphasize Color and Clarity as being important over Cut-quality. Thing is however that the differences between grades of Color and Clarity are minute compared to the differences in Cut-grade, and the price-difference huge.

My advice is to emphasize Cut-quality first. It will give you the Sparkle you will enjoy for years. And in that chosen Cut-quality, find the Color-grade you feel comfortable with (same for Clarity). Once set, observers will guess your I-Color to be anything from F through J, and the latter most probably because they are jealous. All however will see how the Cut-quality performs.

This priority of Cut-quality is true for a 1Ct-diamond, but its importance increases for a bigger diamond. Better Cut-quality becomes more apparent as size of the diamond increases, and it is dramatic for a 3Ct-diamond.

Live long,

MrsT

Shiny_Rock

Paul-Antwerp|1452427981|3973630 said:
Mrs.T|1452379918|3973390 said:

Hello Mts. T.,
My experience, unfortunately, is that there seems to be a connection of GIA-grading to whom submitted the stones to GIA. Yes, i have sent AGS-graded diamonds to GIA, and I did receive regular (not always) downgrades in Color, which would confirm the story you have heard.

Then again, an Antwerp colleague of ours purchased 10 of our AGS-graded-diamonds some time ago, and submitted them to GIA, where he is a regular customer. He received a total of 9 upgrades, AND on Color, AND on Clarity, from GIA. That is exactly the opposite to a much bigger extent.

We are constantly assessing GIA-graded stones as well as stones from other labs. With GIA, we indeed often see very harsh color-grades, but we see at least the same number of cases where the grade is loose. Unfortunately, the fact remains that GIA is considered to be the authority worldwide, which results in the majority of GIA-graded stones being traded without the buyer checking, confirming or questioning the grade.

Sorry for potentially increasing the uncertainty and the frustration. So, here is my advice, trying to put things in perspective: When you look at the 4 C's of diamonds, many vendors out there will emphasize Color and Clarity as being important over Cut-quality. Thing is however that the differences between grades of Color and Clarity are minute compared to the differences in Cut-grade, and the price-difference huge.

Thank you Paul! Good advice. It does have me wondering why there are so few dealers here in the metro area of NYC that carry AGS certified goods. It must be that they make more profit on GIA? Don't answer that, I really don't want to know lol. There's loads of debate on the subject that I can read on this site when I'm not staring at ASET and inclusion images.

I'll just continue the search and try to keep in mind all these illuminations.

Best regards!

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
AGSL Proportion Chart

I've dived into studying "virtual" options on WF website. My process of elimination is mediocre at best! But, I'm on my own and doing the best I can with the help of contributors here.

AGS Proportion Chart. Sorry I don't get how to do a link.
https://agslab.com/docs/pbcg/AGSLPr... the chart. Any advice on my method? Thanks!

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
Images showing inclusions and question on HCA score.

I have three options I'm thinking about and wonder if I could get some input regarding the inclusions as seen on the magnified images.

I'm not sure how much magnification the images are. They are eye clean from 10" but not sure that's good enough with stones 3ct and above.

I'm leaning toward the "H" option. However, I'm concerned about the very low HCA score of 0.7 but I'm told that it's not an issue based on IS. http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3597963.htm

The third one on the right: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3565597.htm

Any thoughts?

These are my only options at this time. I am in no hurry and can wait for the right thing to come along.

Mrs T

tray_7.jpg

sbs_9.jpg

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Just want to say that on photo, the AGS I on the right looks whitest to me. :)

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
My choices were sold or are on reserve and most likely being sold.
I do regret losing out on a few of those choices.

If anyone is still reading, I need help deciphering an AGS cert.

I went to look at settings today with DH and low and behold the store actually sells AGS certified diamonds. They didn't put down AGS.

As I shopped they started hunting for a diamond for me with the idea that they might make an offer on my existing stone.

The issue is the AGS000 they could bring in for me scores above 2 on the HCA at 4.0, gd,gd,gd,vg.

http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_repo...agslab.com/docs/pbcg/AGSLProportionCharts.pdf

Any thoughts as to what is happening with this stone? I like using HCA to rule out stones and I would rule this out but for the fact it's supposed to be a good performer according to it's pedigree.

Thanks,
MrsT

Downsy

Shiny_Rock
I don't know enough to help you - sorry. It's terribly confusing that an AGS000 has such a bad HCA score, but I guess it's no different than a GIa triple X that scores bad. I know your pain! I was buying my 30 year anniversary upgrade online and bought a shallow crown/steep pavilion stone without an idealscope, but it had an HCA under 2 and I loved it in person! I know you will find your upgrade stone eventually!

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Downsy for reading and replying. No one seems to be interested in this painful journey.

Today was a particularly bad day in the process. My AGS certificate was bashed to pieces again by yet another Jersey gemologist.
I swear I feel like I have the plague.

I hope someone can explain that strange observation of my last post.

Thank you for the encouraging words. They are appreciated.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mrs.T|1453500241|3979907 said:
Thank you Downsy for reading and replying. No one seems to be interested in this painful journey.

Today was a particularly bad day in the process. My AGS certificate was bashed to pieces again by yet another Jersey gemologist.

Mrs. T,
I'm sorry this is turning out to be a painful process for you.

The fact that a diamond with an AGS Triple 0 light performance based report scores low on the HCA tool speaks to the limitations of the HCA tool, not the other way around.

And bear in mind that a gemologist bashing an AGS report may reflect more on the gemologist than on the diamond.

The AGS cut grading system is the most advanced scientific system in existence. While the diamond in the report may not be a super ideal, it is in the top echelon of diamond cut quality.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1453501859|3979935 said:
Mrs.T|1453500241|3979907 said:

Mrs. T,
I'm sorry this is turning out to be a painful process for you.

The fact that a diamond with an AGS Triple 0 light performance based report scores low on the HCA tool speaks to the limitations of the HCA tool, not the other way around.

And bear in mind that a gemologist bashing an AGS report may reflect more on the gemologist than on the diamond.

The AGS cut grading system is the most advanced scientific system in existence. While the diamond in the report may not be a super ideal, it is in the top echelon of diamond cut quality.

Bryan said it better than I could. As long as you have an AGS0 and an IS IMO, and the crown is not too low, you are good to go. The HCA uses 4 rough data points to predict how a diamond may perform. AGS actually has the stone in hand and examines it and puts it through it's paces.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry because I really am interested in following your search and helping you if I can! I am at the same stage in life as you and can totally relate to the difficulty in finding the perfect diamond and setting! I came here looking for an anniversary upgrade several years ago!

I really personally do not care for the appearance or the measurements on that stone. The ASET images on those reports are computer generated, so I don't put all my stock in those. But from what I can tell, the arrows are very skinny and the hearts are not well formed. That stone would NOT make the WhiteFlash ACA category. If you look at the ASET images of one of the ACAs and this one, you can see what I mean. There are GIA stones that will have great measurements, too.

Is your current 2 ct stone in a halo? I really think if it's not, a stone in the 2.5 ct range with a halo like you have shown us will appear quite large. Do you know the diameter in mm of your current diamond?

If you want, I'll look for some stones for you if you'll tell me your budget for the diamond.

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
Hello: Many thanks for the replies to the question/s.

TexLeager: I have read posts from happy owners that acquired stones scoring < 2. If I were looking for something ideal, this one would be overlooked. These inconsistencies are perplexing for beginners and inexperienced consumers. I think an IS would be very interesting but won't ask for one since I doubt I'll go forward with this option.

Diamondseeker: RIght now my choices in the 2.5ct range at my original vendor are too costly and not worth it for 1/2ct increase but I try to keep an open mind. You're way ahead of me with knowledge. Did it take you long to find your upgrade?

May I ask for thoughts on virtual options listed below? They took a long time to find. It would help build my confidence when dealing with the contradictions I'm faced with and confirm whether I'm beginning to build some skill in deciphering certificates.

I actually enjoy doing this sort of thing and if I can get good at it perhaps I might be able to select a virtual stone that wouldn't make ACA but would be a great compromise. Am I on the right track for analyzing a cert? They're not super ideal but I see them as a good compromise if I'm comfortable with color and inclusions. Two very different stones but doing well with HCA tool.

Virtual 1: HCA 1.4 ex,ex,ex, vg

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3595549.htm#

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/certificate.aspx?idno=3595549&file_name=1

Another virtual stone with the 60/60 proportions that scores pretty well although you can't tell about how well the hearts and arrow patterns are from these certs but this would be eye clean.

Virtual 2:
HCA 1.4 ex,ex,vg,ex scintillation suffering.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3526988.htm#/

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
It's a blizzard and I have too much time on my hands....

I thought these had potential. I would love to see the 60/60's in person.

Option 4: Shallow crown, Strong FL, HCA 0.6 x,x,x,x

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/3.32-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-642936

Option 5: Shallow crown, Faint FL, HCA 1.3, x,x,x,x,

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/3.01-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-767768

Option 6: HCA 1.5 x,x,x,vg, Black Inclusions, May not be eye-clean or mind clean.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/3.01-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-768959

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Mrs.T,

I've been following your thread and am very interested in what you might choose. At some point, I would love to get above the 3 carat mark on an MRB as well. I have an F, VS1 because I know I am color sensitive and have mind clean issues. I knew that before I found PS. Now that I have found PS, I do feel certain that I can confidently buy on-line, and that I could go down in color for an MRB, but NOT by much. For clarity, I could go down to VS2, but THAT is it, for an e-ring stone.

With that said, I read your whole thread, and I don't think I can tell what your priorities are. That is one of the reasons I find it hard to give my opinion. I am not clear on what YOUR parameters are. I think that is why you are having as tough a time as you are. Define your parameters and stick with them. You said you have time, so don't settle until you find one that meets them all. Don't settle. So I am sorry, this is going to be a long post.

Are you color sensitive? I too have heard that AGS grades softer on color than GIA. And I have also heard that it doesn't. Clearly, different people have different opinions on the matter. This is my personal experience. I bought a G, SI1 (AGS) Expert Selection from WF to match my F, VS1 (GIA) (old e-ring stone) to make a pair of 2.3 ctw studs. I cannot easily tell the color difference between the two. The WF stone is much better cut than my F, VS1, which I bought almost 19 years ago. Given the unequal cut, I would choose the G, SI1 over the shallow F, VS1. The difference shows and I can easily identify the WF stone. Although I am color sensitive, I would choose a better cut stone and sacrifice color. What are your color parameters? Minimum H for either AGS or GIA? Sounds like you want to consider an I but are not sure. If I were you, I would rule out the I, simply because you are unsure. If the color makes you hesitant, don't do it. Since you are considering virtual stones on-line, as well as in-house stones, just stick with H and above. Anyway, I guess my point is define it so you can narrow down your choices.

Clarity - where are you with that? Are you eye-clean only? Or VS2 and above, which I know does not necessarily guarantee eye-clean but gives you a better shot if you are considering a virtual stone without in-house examination. I need to not be able to see the inclusion even from the side. That is what I wanted. I bought on-line, without the benefit of in-house examination, and so I stuck with VS1 and above. Are you ok with SI1 as long as it's eye-clean? If you are going with a virtual selection, I would stick with VS2 and above. End of story. If going with WF, BGD or JA and they can examine it for you, then SI1s that are eyeclean would seem to be ok, right?

Cut - do you want fire or 60/60 white light return? I think you need to decide before you can choose. You are considering both kinds. A lot of people on PS like more fire, so it's hard to ask people if that is not the style they prefer. If you go with 60/60, you may just need to order the stone, see if you like it, and then return it if you don't. I did that. When you are working with a virtual inventory, meaning only GIA report, you can pretty much just use the HCA and the PS recommended parameters, and then if it falls in there, you kinda have to suck it up and go for it. There is no guarantee. But you do your best, and you might come across a very reasonably priced well cut stone. I did on BN. I am happy with what I paid and what I got. I can tell you for sure that the super ideal cuts appeal to me WAY more than just a stone that falls into the HCA and PS recommended parameters, but I didn't have the money to pay the premium and definitely did NOT realize the difference I would see. If I could do it all over again, I would probably go for the super ideal. For sure. It is hard because until you've seen it IRL, it's hard to visualize, understand or believe the difference between super ideal or just a well cut GIA 3X stone that falls into the parameters. I am just mentioning this because you haven't committed yet and you can still go for a WF ACA.

Good luck! I am eager to see what you choose. I will respond to your separate diamond options in another post.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrs.T|1453563471|3980216 said:
Hello: Many thanks for the replies to the question/s.

TexLeager: I have read posts from happy owners that acquired stones scoring < 2. If I were looking for something ideal, this one would be overlooked. These inconsistencies are perplexing for beginners and inexperienced consumers. I think an IS would be very interesting but won't ask for one since I doubt I'll go forward with this option.

Diamondseeker: RIght now my choices in the 2.5ct range at my original vendor are too costly and not worth it for 1/2ct increase but I try to keep an open mind. You're way ahead of me with knowledge. Did it take you long to find your upgrade?

May I ask for thoughts on virtual options listed below? They took a long time to find. It would help build my confidence when dealing with the contradictions I'm faced with and confirm whether I'm beginning to build some skill in deciphering certificates.

I actually enjoy doing this sort of thing and if I can get good at it perhaps I might be able to select a virtual stone that wouldn't make ACA but would be a great compromise. Am I on the right track for analyzing a cert? They're not super ideal but I see them as a good compromise if I'm comfortable with color and inclusions. Two very different stones but doing well with HCA tool.

Virtual 1: HCA 1.4 ex,ex,ex, vg

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3595549.htm#

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/certificate.aspx?idno=3595549&file_name=1

Another virtual stone with the 60/60 proportions that scores pretty well although you can't tell about how well the hearts and arrow patterns are from these certs but this would be eye clean.

Virtual 2:
HCA 1.4 ex,ex,vg,ex scintillation suffering.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3526988.htm#/

Virtual 1: No b/c I would not go for an SI1 in a virtual stone. (Some people would risk it and see if it's eye clean. I wouldn't. I don't care what the dimensions are.)

Virtual 2: No b/c I would not go for an I. (Not sure if you would. See why I couldn't really say what you would want? How color sensitive are you? Again, I don't care what the dimensions are.)

Other 60/60 stones? I am sorry but I couldn't say how nice they are. I don't prefer 60/60 so I can't tell how the specs would impact the beauty of it.

Last one with dark inclusions - I would not even consider it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found these on BN. DS, there is a way to link to these right? I couldn't so I posted the GIA report numbers.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?stockno=LD05606145
AGS report 104077138004
AGS 000

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?stockno=LD03145211 I like this one b/c I like fatter arrows.
GIA 2151222678
HCA 1.4

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?stockno=LD05561885
GIA 2198307478
HCA 1.6

193 diamonds popped up on BN when I put in the parameters. (I used none to medium fluor since it seemed you were ok with fluor.) I went through about 12 of them. Ignoring all that did not fall into the following parameters.
table 54-58
depth 60-62.3
crown: 34-35
pavilion 40.6-40.9

If you are stuck in a storm, you can go through the rest. About 180 more review. If they meet the paramaters above, I would plug it into the HCA and see how it scores.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results