shape
carat
color
clarity

Furparents: Hot Spots?

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't read all the posts, but I have 2 pekes. an 10 yr old female - Endor and 9 yr old male - Lando. Lando has had these same types of issues. Turns out he's allergic to flea bites.

What has worked best for us is Comfortis (flea prevention) - weekly baths during the off season and more regular baths during the hot flea season.

We use an oatmeal shampoo but sometimes have to use the vet prescribed Duoxo which is a calming shampoo.

If it gets really bad, we cone him and take him in to the vet and they give him a cortisone shot to ease the itching. parting his fur where a particular hot spot is and using cold (refrigerated) aloe vera seems to help too.

Vet says it every time -- we are good with flea control. never finds one on him. But if one bites him when we are out walking (we live in a highly pet populated area), he starts to get the itchies.

But I have used every type of anti-itch spray, wipe, etc. Nothing has really helped other than the prescribed shampoo and cortisone shots.

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
OMG!!! completely forgot --- he does take half a tab of benadryl. and during the really bad hot flea season vet said it was ok for him to take half tab morning and half tab at night. that does help!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie60|1453397741|3979159 said:
Just a thought - I have two small maltese dogs and I take them on very long walks. They will rest and sleep for a long time after. I take them 3 miles a few times per week and about one mile on the other days. Does a world of good for them, I know you work full time but just a thought. You could check your local vet to see if anyone has posted dog walking services? This could help the boredom and may allow him to forget about the chewing and licking! Good luck, I know how trying it can be as our pets are our kids.

I walk him twice a day for as long as he'll go! He tires easily. Very short legs! He doesn't even move when he's home. He's so lazy. Always sleeping or itching.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lorrissey|1453398843|3979173 said:
OMG!!! completely forgot --- he does take half a tab of benadryl. and during the really bad hot flea season vet said it was ok for him to take half tab morning and half tab at night. that does help!
Thanks Lorrissey. Yes he's highly allergic to flea bites but I'm not seeing many fleas on him at all. One or two here or there when I comb his fur out. When we had our infestation, I could see the little pink swells under his fur. The poor kid :( I was so anxious at work everyday, rushing home just so I can do a flea comb attack again.

This is definitely vet territory. Poor pekes. They're the best dogs ever but just SO many problems. My baby has two large cataracts in both eyes. Sometimes I wonder if he can see me :(

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly think if you still have one or two fleas should stop with the oatmeal, the tea tree in particular and the aloe, and put another Frontline or I find even better an Advantage spot flea treatment on him. A very dear friend who is a vet told me years ago never to use tea tree, or any natural products like it with Frontline or Advantage etc, because it reacts with them chemically and they don't do the job they are supposed to do. And you should not wash the dog for several days in anything after you put a spot treatment on.

If they are working properly there should be no fleas at all. As listed on the first page if you can buy something like a MalaseB wash in the US it works wonders for doggie dermatitis I've used it for allergies, bites all types of things.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results