shape
carat
color
clarity

ring setting advice for spinel/paraiba,please

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I've tried hard to stay away from Pricescope as I always find something I NEED to have when I visit. :roll: So with all the Paraiba flurry, of course I had to have some, too. Not that I hadn't looked for Paraiba melee everywhere last year for a pink diamond project I wanted to do... but there wasn't any to be found. So when I saw Yvonne had some I picked up a bit of the 1mm (no more 1.5mm), not quite knowing what I wanted to do with it yet. Then when she had some of the cute little 3mm cabs- I picked up a couple of those, too. I was going to hold on making anything yet as hubby put the brakes on my spending, but with Christmas around the corner, I got the OK to proceed. I asked Yvonne if she could find a nice Mahenge spinel cab for me (which she did),and I've commissioned DK to make a ring.

I've attached photos of my inspiration ring by Megan Thorne. It will be in 18kt yellow gold with a mixture of satin and polished finishes. The center will obviously be oval instead of round. The bezels will be scalloped and polished instead of plain. I'm hoping this allows a bit more light into the cabs. Now in the original photo it has larger diamonds (aprox 1.7mm) above and below the center stone. I was planning on using some of the 1mm Paraiba melee in place of them and there would just be more. Also, not sure about the two end bezels, either. I tried doing a mock up with my limited capabilities :errrr: and am not sure whether I like the Paraiba melee around the center stone. Should I maybe leave diamonds there? And, if so, diamonds in the little end bezels, too? Maybe the ring needs more sparkle with diamonds... just not sure...
thoughts??

il_238.jpg

8986_978919408804196_3966700566131890169_n-1.jpg

2327-001-ps_-pt-_amp_-dia-18kt-ring.jpg

l1050862.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I prefer the little accents to stay as white diamonds to play up both the Mahenge and Cuprians.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh!!! Beautiful Mahenge and Paraiba cabs. I love this combination of colors.
And a beautiful inspiration ring! I would personally use the Mahenge for the center and the Paraiba cabs in the smaller bezels. And then add diamonds for sparkle. I would not use the small Paraiba melee.

DK will create a stunning ring for you.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
thank you Chrono and Acinom. You both are reinforcing my thoughts, too.

Ok- so I have the "rough draft" of the CADs. David did these prior to my thinking of omitting the baby Paraiba melee. I am sooooooo not good at reading CADs. I do have some initial thoughts, but I'd really like to get feedback from all of you first.

29353.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a Leon Mege ring that I cannot find a photo of at the moment, but it's a ruby I think surrounded by moonstone cabochons. I wish I could post it for inspiration. Good luck on whatever you decide, and I hope someone posts that pic. It's a bit over the top, but it shows that cabochons can halo a stone.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1444783518|3938030 said:
There's a Leon Mege ring that I cannot find a photo of at the moment, but it's a ruby I think surrounded by moonstone cabochons. I wish I could post it for inspiration. Good luck on whatever you decide, and I hope someone posts that pic. It's a bit over the top, but it shows that cabochons can halo a stone.

Are you referring to this ring TL:

_502.jpeg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have limited experience in reading CAD's as well but this is what I see:
- overall it looks pleasing
- In the inspiration pic the 'halo' stone frame the center stone more while in the CAd they seem to stop midway. If possible I would continue the halo until they touch the accent stones. There should be enough space for the decorating leaves though...
- I would ask DK to not milgrain the three stones and first show you pics with a plain bezel. Milgrain might make the look too 'busy'

What are your observations?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Acinom|1444789120|3938047 said:
I have limited experience in reading CAD's as well but this is what I see:
- overall it looks pleasing
- In the inspiration pic the 'halo' stone frame the center stone more while in the CAd they seem to stop midway. If possible I would continue the halo until they touch the accent stones. There should be enough space for the decorating leaves though...
- I would ask DK to not milgrain the three stones and first show you pics with a plain bezel. Milgrain might make the look too 'busy'

What are your observations?

Acinom- thank you for taking the time to respond. Actually my observations are very similar to yours!! I felt the melee around the center stone stopped instead of framing the center stone, so it either needs to curve around more or remove them totally. I am wondering if I need them at all. Most of the time the wood nymph ring didn't use melee around the center at all.

Now, about the bezels. That is not migraine you see- they are scalloped. The reason behind not a plain bezel is that the mahenge and paraibas are small and trying to maximize light into the gem and not cover them up as much. DK asked last night about using wire scallop(kind of those crown looking bezels)- but in looking at them I feel the ring gets too busy looking. I need to ask him if he is recommending wire so as not to damage the delicate paraibas as that may limit my options. I also wonder about prong setting the mahenge center like the following ring and bezeling the paraibas.

The last thing I noticed was that the little end bezeled diamonds seem to be a bit larger than the inspiration ring.

40ccaa9328be5dd2db460c57bb76172b.jpg

_503.jpeg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh! I love the version without the melee around the center stone. Very elegant look. I would ask DK what the best options are for bezeling or using prongs and then post the options here?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PinkJewel,
Can you please post a larger sized CAD in JPEG? There is one or two proportional adjustments I would like to suggest but it is difficult to see and edit the details of the current picture.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1444822606|3938118 said:
PinkJewel,
Can you please post a larger sized CAD in JPEG? There is one or two proportional adjustments I would like to suggest but it is difficult to see and edit the details of the current picture.

Having trouble getting it to show up larger-let me try again.

take_4__1_.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, still the same size. Nevermind, I'll see what I can do. Be back in a few minutes.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Comments are colour coded to match the coloured lines. I also agree that the diamond or whatever accent you decide on, should continue, rather than stop abruptly. You can either use same sized melees or graduated sized melees.

suggestion2.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1444826226|3938133 said:
Comments are colour coded to match the coloured lines. I also agree that the diamond or whatever accent you decide on, should continue, rather than stop abruptly. You can either use same sized melees or graduated sized melees.
thanks, Chrono- they were things bothered me- but I wasn't sure how to pinpoint them. Your expertise at reading CADS is much appreciated!! =)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1444788516|3938045 said:

Yessssss! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Thanks Acinom!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
TL|1444848455|3938245 said:
Acinom|1444788516|3938045 said:

Yessssss! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Thanks Acinom!

It's a pretty ring, TL!! Unfortunately I would need a bunch of the pariaba cabs and I only have 2.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Acinom|1444819699|3938111 said:
Oooh! I love the version without the melee around the center stone. Very elegant look. I would ask DK what the best options are for bezeling or using prongs and then post the options here?

I found this version of the wood nymph with no melee and prong settings- it's a possibility, too.

mahenge_paraiba_alternative.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Any updates? :)

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1453297019|3978490 said:
Any updates? :)

It's on hold right now. We went through several CADs and it just wasn't working out the way I wanted. So I set my peach sapphire instead. I may use the pair of paraibas with some south sea pearls I have and make them into earrings. For now, I am on a ban for all things jewelry as we are remodeling our Master Bedroom and Master Bath. Can't believe how much it costs to remodel a bath!!!!!! Yikes!!

But, I am having lots of fun going to granite and marble yards looking for just the right slab for my countertop. Did you know that some of the granite slabs have garnets in them??!! Plus other assorted other gems. It's been very educational! I saw one slab today that costs $1000 (or maybe it was $2000) per square foot!! Not for the faint of heart, It was really cool with lots of fossils and other things in it- but not my cup of tea- just fun to look at. =)

S

SparkliesLuver

Oh, okay. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss it! I'm sorry it wasn't working out how you wanted, but pausing sounds like a good plan. Congrats on the remodels! I've been through one of those, and it's pricey. Yikes is right! :lol:

I love that part too. It's so cool to see. haha I actually did, but only because my parents have a couple in theirs. I hope your remodels go smoothly and you love the outcome. :D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry the project is shelved because I think it has a lot of potential to be a fantastic ring. However, because of that potential, I also agree that it's better to be patient rather than rush it.

Tell the granite vendor that he can get a bunch of garnet and other gems very cheaply on eBay and pass on that savings to you. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results