shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: 2 piercings

Do you think double ear piercings look unprofessional?

• A. Yes

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • B. No

Votes: 46 64.8%
  • C. It doesn't matter bc the piercings will not be obvious when earrings are not worn.

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1453063071|3977211 said:
Angela Merkel, Magaret Thatcher, HM The Queen as in Elizabeth II, Hlliary Clinton, to name a few.

How do you know these things? Why would these serious women make this information publicly available? Or are people making assumptions about piercings based on what kind of jewelry (pierced versus non-pierced) they believe they are seeing when they look at earrings worn by the women?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also work in a fairly conservative environment, and I have three piercings in each ear and have never gotten any comments. As others have said, I think it is likely about what she wears in the piercings (e.g. if she wears large gauges it will be more of a potential issue). I personally wear bezel diamond studs in my lower piercing, and small (.25 TCW) diamond studs in the next two. Overall I think it is hardly noticeable. I think things like tattoos are a larger potential problem, but as long as they are covered in conservative environments it shouldn't be an issue.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christine Lagarde, Angela Merkel, Magaret Thatcher, HM The Queen as in Elizabeth II, Hlliary Clinton, to name a few.

DK :))

That is just as likely to be generational as anything else. I manage several offices for a fortune 500 company and most of my employees are attorneys. I wouldn't blink at two ear piercings on a prospective employee, but gauges, no, I couldn't have a professional on my staff who had gauges or even visible tatoos of any size. Its all about degree.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1453068927|3977253 said:
Angela Merkel, Magaret Thatcher, HM The Queen as in Elizabeth II, Hlliary Clinton, to name a few.

How do you know these things? Why would these serious women make this information publicly available? Or are people making assumptions about piercings based on what kind of jewelry (pierced versus non-pierced) they believe they are seeing when they look at earrings worn by the women?

I am basing my post on publicly available photos on the web on the jewellery they wore. However, HM Elizabeth II only has one piercing in each ear, as can be seen clearly in close up pictures that feature her earrings in blogs dedicated jewellery of royalties.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lookinagain|1453071475|3977272 said:
Christine Lagarde, Angela Merkel, Magaret Thatcher, HM The Queen as in Elizabeth II, Hlliary Clinton, to name a few.

That is just as likely to be generational as anything else. I manage several offices for a fortune 500 company and most of my employees are attorneys. I wouldn't blink at two ear piercings on a prospective employee, but gauges, no, I couldn't have a professional on my staff who had gauges or even visible tatoos of any size. Its all about degree.

As already mentioned, IMHO etc. etc...

I never considered multiple piecing in my ears myself, as I personally believe it is unprofessional.

My taste in clothes and accessories, including jewellery is conservative, and am not a follower of trends.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just saying, because I scanned the thread and didn't see it mentioned: There are workplaces that have a dress code that states that, men or women, earrings are to be limited to ONE SMALL STUD PER EAR, no exceptions. I have worked at two places of business that had that exact rule. One was healthcare. One was manufacturing.

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
My own 2 cents....

I am in my early 40s and I have 2 sets of ear piercings for my entire career in the pharmaceutical industry. It has never been a issue. Even when I meet with the FDA and dress in a black conservative business suit with hair pulled back, I still wear them. I do always keep the second set as small diamond studs (though I think tiny seed pearls or tiny balls would be fine as well for conservative needs). I have never encountered any issues and many of my colleagues have similar piercings. In my industry, the only issues I have seen, and they would apply to both genders, have been with visible tattoos, facial piercings, and numerous heavy ear piercings. In such cases, I have seen colleagues go so far as to have these medically removed at certain points in their careers. However, I do understand from where you are coming. My own mother hated the idea when I was 16. Funny thing was that 2 years later she decided she really liked the look of the second set when worn as small accents. She ended up getting her own :D and still wears them today as she approaches 70. Perhaps for the next gifting occasion you have for your daughter, you could provide her with a nice pair of earrings for the second holes to use when conservative attire is appropriate.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1453074205|3977289 said:
Lookinagain|1453071475|3977272 said:

As already mentioned, IMHO etc. etc...

I never considered multiple piecing in my ears myself, as I personally believe it is unprofessional.

My taste in clothes and accessories, including jewellery is conservative, and am not a follower of trends.

Well, I'm not sure I'd call two ear piercings a trend. I'm 61 years old and many of the people I went to high school and college with had two piercings in each ear. Most of us went on to some sort of professional graduate school and have been employed in those fields for over 35 years. Trend, No.

diamond_halo

Rough_Rock
I got a second piercing at the age of 17. I did it without my parents' permission, and needless to say they were pissed. I wore it all through college and then decided to stop wearing it and let the hole close up when I started my
first job out of college. I was worried that it maybe looked a little unprofessional and that people would take
me less seriously. I'd say leave it up to your daughter. She can always take it out later.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if there is not only a generational difference here, but also a geographical one? I'm from the U.S.; Miami growing up and Boston for the last 35 years. It is definitely not an issue, professionally, in either place. And I feel pretty confident that my statement is true across all professions in both these cities.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been in the medical profession for 37 years with triple piercing with no problem, short pixie cut.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to thank you all for your replies! I wish that I could reply to each of you individually but that would take a while! Anyhow, it has been enlightening to hear all the different opinions. :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
I voted no... (will go back now and read to see others opinions). I like to follow my gut first and vote.

I'm an 80s girl (grew up, born '72) and feel, IMHO, two holes are out of style. More trendy to pierce the top of the ear in the cartilage (don't let her read this, lol....true though). Tiny, tiny diamond up top. Tiny. Maybe it depends what part of the country you are in? I'm in the Washington DC area. High school Spec Ed teacher. I see it all! Lol! I actually had six in one ear and three in the other. A nose ring I removed when I student taught. Belly button.... All gone now and there is no harm done :). I'm not super conservative as far as how people look....or choose to look. Other areas, way more conservative.

My 74 yo mom also has double holes, and still wears them. It is her excuse to wear more diamonds. Since....1987? She was a nurse.

What is your daughter looking to do as her career? She may be interested in profession which is ultimately super conservative. BTW, I know a lot of female teachers who have little tattoos, a few with a nose ring and so on. Mostly the younger generation. I would still advise anybody to cover those items up during an interview or be moved. And of course, I would always caution some things are harder to "undo" later in life (tats, stretching ear lobes). People WILL judge.

It is nothing wild to say the least and earrings can be removed. Only young once! Good luck!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I voted no. But this is with the thinking too that the earring can simply not be worn if in a more conservative environment. I personally have 2 lobe piercings and always wear small studs in my second piercing (which i've had since i was 18). I also have a cartilage piercing and I have very short hair at the moment. i work in a fairly conservative company, i'm an executive assistant so my appearance is important. (i'm 35)

Actually, one of my great aunts (in her late 60's) has had a second piercing since she was in her teens. i don't see it as a fad, it's been around for a while, at least around here..

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two piercings in my lobes and have had them for 40 years or so. I am retired now but worked for a conservative company for 20 years with absolutely no problems and that was back when piercings and tattoos, etc. were pretty unheard of. Yes I am ancient.

Edited to add that it was a healthcare company and I worked with the FDA, Company lawyers, Hospital Administrators, etc. No issues. I always wear diamond studs in my second holes and dangly earrings or hoops in the first holes.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Catmom|1453151973|3977634 said:
I have two piercings in my lobes and have had them for 40 years or so. I am retired now but worked for a conservative company for 20 years with absolutely no problems and that was back when piercings and tattoos, etc. were pretty unheard of. Yes I am ancient.

Edited to add that it was a healthcare company and I worked with the FDA, Company lawyers, Hospital Administrators, etc. No issues. I always wear diamond studs in my second holes and dangly earrings or hoops in the first holes.

Hi, Catmom! I have to say that although I would never have a second piercing, that even I agree that there is now nowhere that one cannot go and have a second piercing. As other posters have pointed out, if need be one can always choose not to wear an earring in the second piercing.

When I saw Catmom's posting, I was moved to contribute ;)) because she has such exquisite taste. If a woman wears a gorgeous earring in her first piercing and a small diamond stud in the second, I think it will probably-to today's eye-look beautiful to everyone. But, no, I could not see it on Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

Deb :wavey:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1453209276|3977847 said:
Catmom|1453151973|3977634 said:

Hi, Catmom! I have to say that although I would never have a second piercing, that even I agree that there is now nowhere that one cannot go and have a second piercing. As other posters have pointed out, if need be one can always choose not to wear an earring in the second piercing.

When I saw Catmom's posting, I was moved to contribute ;)) because she has such exquisite taste. If a woman wears a gorgeous earring in her first piercing and a small diamond stud in the second, I think it will probably-to today's eye-look beautiful to everyone. But, no, I could not see it on Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

Deb :wavey:

Hi Deb! :wavey: You are too kind!!!!! It's a good thing I'll never be a queen, lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results