shape
carat
color
clarity

So...who saw Star Wars?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a Star Wars fan, and I've only seen a couple of the movies. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I liked the humor and I liked how they made it to where you didn't need a bunch of background to figure it out. There were many references I'm sure I didn't pick up on (something about a trash compactor).

And, in return for seeing SW, DH is going with me to see Joy. :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw it. Meh, should have waited until it was out on blueray. I'm one that didn't enjoy it. seriously another death star with the same darn flaws... :hand: :doh:

Too much cliche for me to actually enjoy. We both felt the same, though he's a much bigger fan than I ever will be.

Considering the budget they had I expected a way better movie.

Visual effects get a 9 though, they were appealing, the rest; meh. too wooden, stilted acting, the dumb cliche's. I was not wowed.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1451149205|3966428 said:
***spoiler alert!!!***

Darth Jr. threw a fit. Really?? Can anyone say "millennial Darth"? What self respecting Sith Lord or Darth Vadar pupil would take his light saber to a control panel? And what was that mask about? At least the true Dark Lord had some serious facial deformities to hide. This little wuss? Omg. Not a decent scar to speak of. Thank goodness Rey gives him something to cover up. The movie would be fun for people who didn't see the original in the theater, but to me it was a mash up. Tie fighters attacking Death Star, Han going in to shut down the shield, light saber battle...

But hey, still family fun for everyone!!
I think his demeanor has to do with the fact that he is so conflicted. The dark side has everything to do with giving in to your anger. When the Sith's are young, they are very impulsive. The more they give in to their anger, the more powerful in the dark side they become. Anakin was also impulsive when he was just giving into the dark side. He killed all of the Tuskin Raiders in a fit of rage when they killed his mother. This was not a controlled act of the more mature Darth Vader.

I believe Kai Lo Ren wore a mask to be like Darth Vader.

Spoilers~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, so yeah, my family is super Star Wars geeky. We would have gone opening day, but opted for Christmas Day. We donned our Star Wars t-shirts...because no one would be in costume that day :( . We posed for photos at home, all 7 of us with lightsabers... :D

I was super excited because people were saying "best Star Wars ever!" This was NOT the best Star Wars ever! In fact, it reminded me too much of Star Wars IV.

I didn't mind Kai Lo Ren as a young Sith. I DID mind the supreme leader Snoke hologram. It reminded me of Gollum for some reason. I also had a problem with the idea that Finn could pick up a lightsaber and with no experience at all, fight a Sith and keep up for more than a minute. Unrealistic. I did like the fact that they portrayed Rey as clumsey with the lightsaber, making odd jabs instead of skilled swipes.

My heart died a little when Han died. That is all.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I found it irritating that the female heroine was constantly being called "a girl". What if the men were all called "boys"?Hollywood is so "Sensitive" and PC, except when it comes to sexism. Still. :rolleyes:

Plus, I don't understand how the same plot can be rehashed into so many movies . . .

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
***********SPOILERS***************DO NOT KEEP GOING IF YOU DO NOT WANT SPOILERS SPOILED*****************

LLJsmom|1451149205|3966428 said:
***spoiler alert!!!***

Darth Jr. threw a fit. Really?? Can anyone say "millennial Darth"? What self respecting Sith Lord or Darth Vadar pupil would take his light saber to a control panel? And what was that mask about? At least the true Dark Lord had some serious facial deformities to hide. This little wuss? Omg. Not a decent scar to speak of. Thank goodness Rey gives him something to cover up. The movie would be fun for people who didn't see the original in the theater, but to me it was a mash up. Tie fighters attacking Death Star, Han going in to shut down the shield, light saber battle...

But hey, still family fun for everyone!!
Yea it was basically the original made "prettier." But I was laughing out loud every time he did that. He clearly needs some help getting his shit together. He ran away from his training with Luke, so he needs to get his emotions in check. We both knew he was cast, I knew he was Ben/Kylo Ren (DH didn't know who bec he wanted to be surprised), but we had a hard time with him being believable as their son. He's a fantastic actor but he does not resemble either Han or Leia. Like at all. And then, you knew how that was going to go on the bridge, though I was really sad they did it. But Rey has to take his spot, and that was prepared all along.

Fin was fantastic, I loved that character.

And every time they showed the Grand Master Flash, I just saw Gollum. (Obviously, that's Andy Serkis, but it's friggin Gollum.)

And Rey as Luke's daughter? Awesome. Now---we had a ton of issues with how she's not got any training and somehow suddenly has the force? That's stupid... And they blew up the bigger badder death star in the first one already? Gimme a break. And not one mention of the fact that 5 planets of the Republic were just blown up killing presumably billions of people? That is just totally glossed over? Ok then.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander said:
I found it irritating that the female heroine was constantly being called "a girl". What if the men were all called "boys"?Hollywood is so "Sensitive" and PC, except when it comes to sexism. Still. :rolleyes:

Plus, I don't understand how the same plot can be rehashed into so many movies . . .
we wondered if she's really young and that is why. Then again are both she and Ben really just kids

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1451248061|3966908 said:

The petulant child scenes sort of got to me since this actor is older than me. Presumably the character was born only slightly less than 30 years ago. I know that's still young, but he's not 19 or anything.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I was entertained, but not enthralled because it was predictable.

Call me grinchy, but I didn't recognize Carrie F--and with all the work she had done--it was impossible for her to emote. Seriously!

cheers--Sharon

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great movie! DH is thrilled and already speculating about what is to come.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a huge star wars fan, but have seen all the movies. I liked this one better than the prequel ones. It has more of the 'original' feel - story aside. I liked the little bit of humour and the 70s style transitions. It also made me think about how much work movies put into story telling these days. I kind of liked how simple it was. At the beginning, they tell you exactly what's going on. You don't have to guess. A 'regular' movie would have leia looking at a photo of her son and crying. Cut to resistance fighters searching the map and slamming their fists on the desk, etc. I dunno, it was different, but I think I liked it better. Gets right to the point.
The story, I found lacking. It was very 'rehashed' as PPs have said. I also didn't buy Fin & Rey. They knew each other for 5m and are now besties/lovers? Just a bit off. I liked how Rey was with her light saber though - it looked like how she would use her stick. Stabbing and slashing.

Anyways, we waited until it was not super packed, and was half priced (Tuesday movie nights). So overall, I was satisfied.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
We finally saw it yesterday. I did like it better than the prequels but I still thought it was only ok. It definitely looks like there will be another one coming out soon.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
My first time seeing a 3-D movie. I found the effects very interesting.
But for the rest, I heartily agree with iLander:

chemgirl said:
iLander|1451248061|3966908 said:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw it yesterday morning - I was really looking forward to it and had tried to keep away from any spoiler info - but I found the movie mediocre at best - DH thought it was good but not very good.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw it this afternoon. DH went with me for his second viewing. I found the story pretty much a rehash of old stories. I definitely love the name Darth Millennial; it is so perfect for that character. I was entertained but I can't saw I loved the story or came away awestruck.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I saw it today and thought it was very good.
I wasn't bothered by the use of the term "girl". It seemed appropriate in the scenes in which it was used and I think that it was used purposefully as part of the plot (her identity, etc.).
I thought Carrie F looked fine and I don't think that she looked overly-done (from a plastic surgery perspective). Imagine the pressure she felt to look good. It sounds like she just can't win - try to look young and get critiqued for having "work" done or look old and get critiqued for not looking good enough....How sad.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw it today and I really enjoyed it! We did see the 3D and I could have done without it, pretty headache inducing for me.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
I am happy I saw it on a big screen. I am an old fan from my childhood but the reason I liked the current movie is more so bz I -loved- the ones in the late 70's/early 80's

Totally agree w/ House Cat
"it reminded me too much of Star Wars IV."
and
totally thought the supreme leader looked like Gollum or Voldemort (from Harry Potter).

Sadly Carrie Fisher's voice has changed so much too.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I enjoyed the nostalgia even though the plot was predictable, cliched and there were too many things that did not make sense. Fin (who worked janitorial duties) being able to make a lightsabre work and handle it with relative ease had me raise my eyebrow. I thought only those who are trained and have the Force can use it?

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Without reading the prior posts like I usually do before posting, I have to say I loved it!!! The pacing was fantastic and the scope of it reminded me of the original. Loved the return of the original actors, too. :love:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I saw it again.

I liked it much more the second time. I saw many more details that I missed the first time. I felt kind of silly and wondered where I was the day I watched it. I must have had that ten year old boy excitement going on like "YEAH!!!! STAR WARS!!!!" that or I was in a Red Vine coma!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saw it today and I have waited to even open this thread until I had seen the movie. I have avoided all trailers and any other media info about the movie because I wanted no idea at all when I walked into the theater. Last night my husband told me Han dies. I was mad. I only knew that Harrison Ford was in it and no other characters. My son and I went to see it today and I loved it. Yes it was reminiscent of A New Hope but that is ok. I actually got a bit choked up when the film finally started after all the damn trailers were over. The music started and the words on the screen and I was a young person in my seat again in 1977. I was not expecting that and did not get that same feeling with 1-3. I am such a SW geek that I had to find the uncut, Han shot first, episodes 4-6 on DVD because I did not buy them when they first came out. Glad to say that my adult son was with me and I can see the next generation SW geek loving the whole series!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results