shape
carat
color
clarity

How much moisture is really in your safe?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I recently moved from Georgia (hot and very humid) to the Central Valley of California ( hot and dry).
I was had no worries about leaving my pearls in the safe in Georgia since things can actually rust in a safe there due to moisture. Well, I put a dry's the air hanging package in the safe thinking it was a waste of time since it hardly ever rains here in the Central Valley.

Three months later here are the photo of the full Dry's the air hanger filled with TWO cups of water that found it's way in the safe. I am shocked.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Packet

_1407.jpeg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Pyrex

_1408.jpeg

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
wow!

I Live in South Florida and I can relate, we empty our dehumidifier 3 times a day and it holds like 3 gallons of water.

What brand of safe do you use. I am in desperate need of one for my jewelry

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Costco has some nice safes, if you are in the market for one to store jewelry.

Q

Queenie60

I have an American Security fire proof safe for my jewelry. And have been wondering if it's too dry for my pearls? I will need to find out if that's so. I understand that if it's too dry - they could become brittle. Nacrelover, what safe do you have? Is it fireproof? I'm going to call my safe company to see if water can enter this safe. Hmmm :???:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In addition to using a moisture absorber inside the safe, how about adding some spongy draught excluder strips to the door or safe to improve the seal to minimise moisture ingress?

DK :))

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes! That's a lot of water. Now, isn't it supposed to be good for pearls to have some moisture? Pardon my ignorance, but why are you collecting the water with the hanging bag?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is larger than this model. Not everything you keep in a safe likes moisture. Many models have built in dehumidifiers in them like ours does. I would be afraid to keep pearls in it if we turned that on. Number one regret when buying a liberty safe? I wish I had bought bigger. One man bought one and his wife stores all her designer hand bags in it. Treasures can be one of a kind artwork, photos , wills, as you can see you run out of space fast.

liberty-safe-presidential.jpg

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Surely every time you open the safe you are changing the air to 'outside' air. Or did you not open the safe? No reason why the safe would be airtight as opposed to 'pick up and carry away by a burglar' proof.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Pearlescence|1452169007|3972101 said:
Surely every time you open the safe you are changing the air to 'outside' air. Or did you not open the safe? No reason why the safe would be airtight as opposed to 'pick up and carry away by a burglar' proof.

Exactly, it was opened daily. but in those 4 months, it rained only 4-5 times, it's a desert type environment where not much grows unless it's irrigated. Many safes on the market are easy to move unless bolted to the floor even when filled, after all you moved them in.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Precipitation and humidity are different. Any warm air can be holding a lot of water. Just go somewhere like Hong Kong in June where the air is so thick it feels like you have to suck to breathe. Humidity will be 90% but it may well not rain which is when the air can no longer hold the water in suspense, usually because of a drop in temperature. It took four men and a wheeled truck to move my safe across the room!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results