carat
color
clarity

Recommendations for Mascara

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Phoenix|1451967182|3970808 said:
hoover|1451960346|3970763 said:
I have really sensitive skin and eyes too and I've been using Blinc mascara without reactions. It doesn't smudge, I didn't get raccoon eyes in the rain, and comes off with plain warm water in "tubes" with no residue. If it helps you decide, I also have oily eyelids - eyeliner never stays on, and Blinc and Fiberwig are the only mascaras that work for me. I just prefer Blinc and Fiberwig is not that easy to find since sephora doesn't carry it anymore.

http://www.sephora.com/blinc-mascara-P46017?country_switch=ca&lang=en
http://www.djv-beautenizer.com/usa/products/fiberwiglx

For those that have used Latisse, did it help grow new lashes? I have very few bottom lashes (a lot fell out after an allergic reaction and never grew back) and was curious as to whether it would help grow them back. Did you get any darkening of the skin under the eyes? I read that was a possible side effect and that's what has me hesitating.

Have you tried eye primer? Supposed to help eyeliner and eye-shadow stay put. Helps with mine anyway.

I don't know about Latisse helping to grow new lashes. I personally find that both my upper and lower lashes are longer than before (I only apply on the top lashes though (like instructed), but not thicker, not on mine. No darkening of the skin under the eyes here. You could try just one bottle and see how it goes. Anyway, whatever happens to you (except the irises, I don't know about that) is temporary and everything goes back to normal after you stop using it.

I suppose that Latisse could help to grow new lashes, but that's not what it's supposed to do (Although, I think that some chemo patients have actually had success in growing new lashes while using Latisse). Latisse is simply supposed to help your existing lashes to grow longer. A typical growth phase for an eyelash is about 1-2 months and then a lash transitions to a "resting phase" where it eventually falls out. Latisse helps lashes to grow longer by keeping lashes in the growth stage for a longer period of time and it stimulates the transition from an inactive growth phase to an active growth phase, therefore, allowing your lashes to grow longer as opposed to falling out as part of their natural cycle. Eventually, lashes will go into a resting phase and naturally fall out, which is why some people take a break from Latisse. When you stop using Latisse, your lashes just go back to exactly the way they were before you started Latisse.
As far as darkening of the skin, yes, I have seen it along my upper eyelid (never along my lower lid though). It's not really a "darkening" because it's more of a slightly pinkish coloring that is extremely minimal and barely noticeable. It doesn't bother me at all and it's not something that I would think anyone would be concerned with because of the fact that it's so very minimal.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will add that for me, Grandelash grew more lashes. When I first started using it I could see little new lashes growing in amongst the old ones. They were so cute! And they all "grew up" together, so to speak, so it was easy to track their progress. It was when I could no longer distinguish between the old - which were also longer - and the new ones that I switched to maintenance mode and started using it less frequently. It also helped my sparce eyebrows fill in a bit.

I recently gave a tube to my sister-in-law, who is black. Her lashes didn't gain as much length as mine did, but the definitely filled in a lot (more than mine did).

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been using Loreal's Great Lash for as long as I can remember. It is wonderful-does not clump and easily removable.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1452014177|3971044 said:
I will add that for me, Grandelash grew more lashes. When I first started using it I could see little new lashes growing in amongst the old ones. They were so cute! And they all "grew up" together, so to speak, so it was easy to track their progress. It was when I could no longer distinguish between the old - which were also longer - and the new ones that I switched to maintenance mode and started using it less frequently. It also helped my sparce eyebrows fill in a bit.

I recently gave a tube to my sister-in-law, who is black. Her lashes didn't gain as much length as mine did, but the definitely filled in a lot (more than mine did).

I've been wanting to try this ever since you mentioned it on another thread a while back...

But I wrote to the company twice - a month apart - and they never answered my emails, and I hate that...plus it was a while back so I forgot about it.

Do you get the product directly from their site?

ETA: thanks momhappy for the info. on Latisse. I'll ask my derm to see how much she sells it for.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1452023610|3971147 said:
I've been wanting to try this ever since you mentioned it on another thread a while back...

But I wrote to the company twice - a month apart - and they never answered my emails, and I hate that...plus it was a while back so I forgot about it.

I haven't ordered directly from their site yet, but I'm planning to do that next.

I have corresponded with them via facebook - I "liked" their page and then sent them a personal message, as I recall. It took a week or so but I did get a response.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1451969057|3970826 said:
Phoenix|1451967769|3970816 said:
VRBeauty|1451940321|3970602 said:
I use GrandeLash growth simulator, which is available without a prescription. All I can say is that it really works for me. I'm part Asian and my lashes were short and straight before I started using this product. They're now long and curved - I can go without mascara but most days I don't. Before, I always applied mascara right after washing my face because that's when they had the most curl. I had to (as in "had to" ;)) ) use mascaras that both lengthened and would preserve the curl, because otherwise, what was the point? L'oreal had just discontinued my favorite mascara when I decided to try the GrandeLash. Now I'm just looking for a mascara to add a little oompf to my lashes. Having "naturally" longer lashes really increased my mascara options.

I'd be interested to try GrandeLash. May I ask where you get it from? I looked at Amazon but they don't ship GrandeLash to Asia.

You can order from the company directly: http://www.grandelashmd.com/def ault.asp. I've been buying mine at my hair salon, but it's quite a trip from my house and I recently changed salons so I'll be buying direct from the manufacturer from now on. My first 2.0 ml tube lasted me about two months. You can use it less frequently after you get the growth you want, so each tube lasts me at least three months now.

I was not thrilled with their mascara and wouldn't get it again. I loved the formula but hated the brush.

I hope they ship to Asia!

Thank you so much, VRBeauty. That's very helpful.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1451970409|3970834 said:
Phoenix: I have used various mascaras for 35+ years and Diorshow (the original, basic one) was the best. I never had flakes, or smudges, even though it is very humid where I live. It is also thickening and curling without clumping. They have a new Dior Curling mascara which goes on about 10% thinner, but does hold a curl.

Thanks so much. That's very helpful, iLander. Hope this will be the Holly Grail I've been looking for.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1452025045|3971164 said:
CJ2008|1452023610|3971147 said:

I haven't ordered directly from their site yet, but I'm planning to do that next.

I have corresponded with them via facebook - I "liked" their page and then sent them a personal message, as I recall. It took a week or so but I did get a response.

Ah, I may try this too.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1452014177|3971044 said:

OMG, I'd LOVE to have extra lashes. Mine are so sparse! :-o I'm so hopeful now! :))

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I seem to be in the minority in that I hated Benefit's They're Real. I just threw away a tube that probably still had half of the product left in it because it did nothing for me.

I also don't like Diorshow, though I forced myself to use the whole tube.

For me, Lancôme Hypnose is my HG. I've tried so many others without success and keep coming back to this one, so I've pretty much accepted that it's best for me. As far as drugstore brands, my favorite is L'Oreal Telescopic. Love it!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
star sparkle|1452103386|3971694 said:
I seem to be in the minority in that I hated Benefit's They're Real. I just threw away a tube that probably still had half of the product left in it because it did nothing for me.

For me, Lancôme Hypnose is my HG. I've tried so many others without success and keep coming back to this one, so I've pretty much accepted that it's best for me. As far as drugstore brands, my favorite is L'Oreal Telescopic. Love it!

No I hate theyre real too

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A huge thank you to everyone for contributing to this thread :appl: . Lots of excellent products to consider.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1452104483|3971698 said:
star sparkle|1452103386|3971694 said:

No I hate theyre real too

I can tell you that so far, I'm not a fan of the They're Real primer. It uncurls my lashes.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Makeup Forever's Smoky Lash.

I have tiny, unnoticeable lashes and this mascara makes it look like I am wearing falsies. I have sensitive eyes, and it doesn't irritate me.

I get it at Sephora, and have never had a problem returning cosmetics there (including when I have used them and told them so).

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1451970409|3970834 said:
CJ2008, House Cat, :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

There are lots of youtube videos, this is a VERY good one but she missed some stuff; http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/01/how-to-apply-false-eyelash_n_4058747.html

(the ones she is wearing are similar to these, so you know what they look like in a package http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/kiss-eyelashes-10/ID=prod6120602-product)

Here's what you do; go to Walgreens and figure you'll spend about $20 to buy several styles of lashes to see what you like best. After you find what you like, you will only spend about $5 each time. I like Kiss #10 (http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/kiss-eyelashes-10/ID=prod6120602-product) or #4, they're about the length of natural lashes, but very thick. Buy Kiss glue and a 10X magnifying hand mirror. Figure the first time you will screw around with them for about half an hour or more to get the hang of it. This is not something you want to do the first time while you're running late.

(I'm bolding the parts she skipped in the video) Gently, slowly, peel them out of the package and hold them up to your eyes. Chances are you'll need to trim off a little to fit your eye. I usually trim 1/8th of an inch off the end of each one. I then roll them up with my fingers to make a C. They come out of the package so straight, but you're eyes aren't straight across, so bend them into a little C.

Then apply the glue evenly along the edge, making sure there's a little more on each end. Blow on it. You want the glue tacky, not wet.

Then hold the magnifying mirror in one hand and hold the lashes in the middle (not on the glue, obviously). Aim to get the middle as close to your actual lashes as possible. Push it on, then position and smooth down each end. If you mess up, just nudge them around a bit, or just pull them off and start over. If you build up a couple of layers of glue, it's fine, it actually makes them easier to handle, lol. I actually like my lashes after about 4-5 uses, because the thin glue layer (not visible to onlookers) makes them easier. Try not to open your eyes very wide until the glue sets, about 1 minute. The Kiss glue is basically Elmer's glue, the stuff we liked to cover our hands with in grade school, so it's non-toxic and easy to remove.

You can use an eyelash curler on the lashes if you like, and sometimes I will put mascara over my lashes and the fake lashes, but only a little. My lashes are blondish, but you really can't see them. That's what the magnifying mirror is for; to check that kind of stuff. ;)) The Kiss glue dries clear, so you don't need eyeliner, but I do like to use liner pencil over the glue.

If you look at the video, you can see the before and after (briefly, at the end) and "falsies" :D make a HUGE difference in your look. They also hide the fact that age has taken away my eyelids. These are much easier than eyelid surgery. :bigsmile:

momhappy: which glue did you use? Fake lashes shouldn't hurt when being removed. Kiss Glue peels right off, very easily. Just grab the middle of the lash and gently loosen, then peel off from the inner to outer edge. Or the video linked above shows an easy way to loosen the glue.

Phoenix: I have used various mascaras for 35+ years and Diorshow (the original, basic one) was the best. I never had flakes, or smudges, even though it is very humid where I live. It is also thickening and curling without clumping. They have a new Dior Curling mascara which goes on about 10% thinner, but does hold a curl.
I can't believe I missed this! Thanks islander! I am going to Walgreen's today. :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1451967769|3970816 said:
VRBeauty|1451940321|3970602 said:
I use GrandeLash growth simulator, which is available without a prescription. All I can say is that it really works for me. I'm part Asian and my lashes were short and straight before I started using this product. They're now long and curved - I can go without mascara but most days I don't. Before, I always applied mascara right after washing my face because that's when they had the most curl. I had to (as in "had to" ;)) ) use mascaras that both lengthened and would preserve the curl, because otherwise, what was the point? L'oreal had just discontinued my favorite mascara when I decided to try the GrandeLash. Now I'm just looking for a mascara to add a little oompf to my lashes. Having "naturally" longer lashes really increased my mascara options.

I'd be interested to try GrandeLash. May I ask where you get it from? I looked at Amazon but they don't ship GrandeLash to Asia.

Really late to this thread, but after a previous thread I ordered GrandeLash from Amazon for my Asian daughter who also had short lashes, and it made an amazing difference! Her eyes were slightly irritated for a few days, but then it went away and her lashes just grew! No issues ordering from Amazon...I order everything there, almost! Love that it doesn't need a precription, and now she just uses it periodically.

As for mascara, I have found that drug store brands work just as well for me as more expensive ones, but I am going to try out the Maybelline ones recommended to see if I like them better than what I have been using. Missy, I admit to being very bad an not replacing mine as often as I should! I guess it would be good to write on the tube the date it was opened so we are more aware of the time frame!

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I know this thread is from a few weeks ago, but I wanted to chime in with earlier recs for DIORSHOW. I thought I could never wear mascara before I found this brand. I have sensitive eyes and wear contacts, and my eyes water at the slightest provocation. DIORSHOW is waterproof and doesn't budge even on the grossest summer days.

I usually use the full size bottle, but also really like the half-size travel/sample bottles they carry at Sephora. I have tons of "Beauty Points" and cash them in whenever I see the mini DIORSHOW bottles.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results