shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommendations for Mascara

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a great list of which stores will accept returns of opened makeup and whether it needs to be accompanied by a receipt:

http://fashionista.com/2015/08/where-to-return-opened-beauty-products

And a list of mistakes you might be making while using mascara, some of which could be leading to clumping issues:

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/makeup/tips/a23954/mascara-mistakes/

When you return used makeup to Sephora, yes, they toss it. Retailers call it "damaging it out" or "marking out of stock" and have built-in cushions in their numbers for such losses. You will notice in the first link I posted that Target, for example, will take back opened product of its OWN lines (Sonia K., etc.) for up to a year after purchase, while any other products are non-returnable after 90 days. This is due to arrangements they've made with manufacturers who will only give Target a credit for their damaged-out items for a set period of time. What happens to "expired" items or things that just don't sell even after being clearanced to death? They also get marked out of stock and if they are unopened many times they are donated to a local non-profit.

I've tried a lot of different mascaras, from drugstore to high-end, and the only one that works well for me is Maybelline Great Lash Waterproof. It's the only waterproof that is TRULY waterproof and doesn't leave me with raccoon eyes 3 hours into the day. I wear contacts and it's never caused me any irritation. I've used it since I was 14-15, and every time I have gotten the urge to try something new and switched up, I regret it.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I recommend eyelash extensions! always wake up looking fabulous with no mascara needed!
Top pic is before I got lash extensions, bottom two are with lash extensions!

But before I had extensions I used multiple different mascaras - Clinique, bare essentials and younique 3d fiber lashes

_1368.jpeg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I have given up on mascara. I wear false lashes now, and I love them. Kiss #10. They're not too long, they are very thick and last for many uses, about 4 weeks a pair. They are cheaper than expensive mascara, I buy them at Walgreens for $4-$6 per 4 pack.

Trust me, there is not ONE woman on TV or in movies with 100% natural lashes. They at least use fill-ins (little clumps of 3-4 lashes each) or full lashes sets.

I used to use Diorshow, which is excellent, but my lashes are shorter on my right eye than my left. Even with perfect application, my eyes looked wonky.

Fake lashes take some practice, but if anyone is ever interested, I'll post some tips. Take about 2 minutes per eye and they look gorgeous. They also hide my "Old lady droopy eyelids". They look like Lovelikecrazy's extensions, but are not permanent.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1451923096|3970418 said:
I have given up on mascara. I wear false lashes now, and I love them. Kiss #10. They're not too long, they are very thick and last for many uses, about 4 weeks a pair. They are cheaper than expensive mascara, I buy them at Walgreens for $4-$6 per 4 pack.

Trust me, there is not ONE woman on TV or in movies with 100% natural lashes. They at least use fill-ins (little clumps of 3-4 lashes each) or full lashes sets.

I used to use Diorshow, which is excellent, but my lashes are shorter on my right eye than my left. Even with perfect application, my eyes looked wonky.

Fake lashes take some practice, but if anyone is ever interested, I'll post some tips. Take about 2 minutes per eye and they look gorgeous. They also hide my "Old lady droopy eyelids". They look like Lovelikecrazy's extensions, but are not permanent.

Yes, please, post some tips! I've always been intrigued by false lashes for special nights out but end up always feeling intimidated...

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoveLikeCrazy|1451923093|3970417 said:
I recommend eyelash extensions! always wake up looking fabulous with no mascara needed!
Top pic is before I got lash extensions, bottom two are with lash extensions!

But before I had extensions I used multiple different mascaras - Clinique, bare essentials and younique 3d fiber lashes

How much does it cost you, Love?

And how long do they last?

Is it easy to find someone to do them well or do you have to be careful?

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
I've always struggled with mascara, clumpy, runny, yucky! But... one day I received a trial of Neutrogena's Healthy Volume and loved it! It works really well for me even while wearing glasses most of the time. (For some reason, other mascaras tended to either give me a raccoon effect or smudge on my glasses.) I recommend it highly.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Buxom. Not clumpy at all. Not sure about sensitivity though.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favourites are a combo of tarte lights camera lashes, and benefit bad gal lash. I have never found 1 mascara that does everything I want. I have long thin blonde lashes, so I want them black with more volume, not just length.

I've also had lash extensions and while they look amazing at first, the shedding is less than desirable and I definitely had damage to my natural lashes after. Using false lashes is an interesting idea (please post your tips ilander!), but I'd still need regular mascara because my natural lashes are so light. They look weird mixed together.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Lash extensions have too many disadvantages for me (time consuming, risk to natural lashes, etc.), but I'm sure they can work well for some people.
I have used false eyelashes only a couple of times (once at Halloween and once for a photo shoot) and they hurt like crazy coming off - so much so that it feels as though I'm ripping out my own lashes. Again, I'd be concerned with damage to my natural lashes, but do those of you who use them experience this or are your natural lashes unharmed?
I use lash growth stimulating products (Latisse, etc.) and my natural lashes have gotten so long on some occasions that I've almost had to trim them. My preference is to grow my own lashes and use good mascara.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I use Latisse for growth, and also Maybelline lash stiletto mascara when I'm on a Latisse break.

Lash stiletto is really non-clumping. It may not create the fullness one needs, but I don't need volume, I need length, so I love this mascara, it literally increases my lashes about 3mm!

I apply 3 coats, each coat lengthens the ends by 1mm each time I apply!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another Tarte gal here. Lights, Camera, Lashes but not the waterproof. I have terrible allergies to most eye makeup including Urband Decay and Clinique but no problems with any Tarte.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1451923096|3970418 said:

Yes please!!! Tips! My lashes have thinned, just like the hair on my head! I would love to try out some false lashes! I wore them on my wedding day and I LOVED them!!!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1451936072|3970543 said:
Lash extensions have too many disadvantages for me (time consuming, risk to natural lashes, etc.), but I'm sure they can work well for some people.
I have used false eyelashes only a couple of times (once at Halloween and once for a photo shoot) and they hurt like crazy coming off - so much so that it feels as though I'm ripping out my own lashes. Again, I'd be concerned with damage to my natural lashes, but do those of you who use them experience this or are your natural lashes unharmed?
I use lash growth stimulating products (Latisse, etc.) and my natural lashes have gotten so long on some occasions that I've almost had to trim them. My preference is to grow my own lashes and use good mascara.

Which is your favorite growth stimulating product, momhappy? (or top 2)

I'd thought about trying it but always feel a little hesitant, it does scare me a little bit to use something that can darken eye color...

Do you feel it's perfectly safe? Have you had any issues at all?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I really do like Latisse and no, I'm not concerned about iris darkening (I have light-colored eyes, but am still not concerned). Yes, it is listed as a potential side effect, but that stems from FDA-mandated product labeling because the ingredient in Latisse is the same as a glaucoma medication called Lumigan, but in a different formulation. Lumigan is applied directly into the eye, and it can cause iris darkening in a very small percentage of users. When used as directed, I believe that Latisse is pretty safe and the eyelash growth I've experienced is nothing short of amazing. I use it for a while and then take a break. I sometimes use other products in between Latisse. LiLash is one of my other favorites and I get decent results from Rapidlash too. When I take a break from lash growth products, my lashes simply go back to the way they were before (what I would consider fairly "normal" lashes) - it's not like they fall out, but they do not grow as long and full as they would when using a lash growth product. I know that some people can experience some allergic reactions to various products, but I have experienced no negative effects and I've been using them on and off for several years now.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use GrandeLash growth simulator, which is available without a prescription. All I can say is that it really works for me. I'm part Asian and my lashes were short and straight before I started using this product. They're now long and curved - I can go without mascara but most days I don't. Before, I always applied mascara right after washing my face because that's when they had the most curl. I had to (as in "had to" ;)) ) use mascaras that both lengthened and would preserve the curl, because otherwise, what was the point? L'oreal had just discontinued my favorite mascara when I decided to try the GrandeLash. Now I'm just looking for a mascara to add a little oompf to my lashes. Having "naturally" longer lashes really increased my mascara options.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
How much is Latisse?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Cost can vary. On average, a kit, which is supposed to be about a 1-month supply, is about $120. However, I have found that a kit can last longer than a month. One thing that I learned is that I would use Latisse daily until my lashes reached a desired length and then I would cut back on using the product to about every other day or so just to maintain the length. Also, you should be able to find some discounts, promotions, etc. here and there if you check around locally. Make sure that you buy it from a reputable source - I get mine from a local plastic surgeon's office or my local derm office.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1451957422|3970734 said:
^Cost can vary. On average, a kit, which is supposed to be about a 1-month supply, is about $120. However, I have found that a kit can last longer than a month. One thing that I learned is that I would use Latisse daily until my lashes reached a desired length and then I would cut back on using the product to about every other day or so just to maintain the length. Also, you should be able to find some discounts, promotions, etc. here and there if you check around locally. Make sure that you buy it from a reputable source - I get mine from a local plastic surgeon's office or my local derm office.

I do have sensitive eyes so that would be my only concern. So you don't need mascara with it? Sounds very tempting.

hoover

Shiny_Rock
I have really sensitive skin and eyes too and I've been using Blinc mascara without reactions. It doesn't smudge, I didn't get raccoon eyes in the rain, and comes off with plain warm water in "tubes" with no residue. If it helps you decide, I also have oily eyelids - eyeliner never stays on, and Blinc and Fiberwig are the only mascaras that work for me. I just prefer Blinc and Fiberwig is not that easy to find since sephora doesn't carry it anymore.

http://www.sephora.com/blinc-mascara-P46017?country_switch=ca&lang=en
http://www.djv-beautenizer.com/usa/products/fiberwiglx

For those that have used Latisse, did it help grow new lashes? I have very few bottom lashes (a lot fell out after an allergic reaction and never grew back) and was curious as to whether it would help grow them back. Did you get any darkening of the skin under the eyes? I read that was a possible side effect and that's what has me hesitating.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1451958528|3970744 said:

I do have sensitive eyes so that would be my only concern. So you don't need mascara with it? Sounds very tempting.

I have always worn mascara (with or without Lattise), but I have light-colored lashes. Latisse only encourages lashes to grow longer (and maybe a little thicker), so it doesn't necessarily replace the need for mascara. If you are okay with the color of your natural lashes, then I suppose that you could skip mascara, but I have never used Latisse as an alternative to mascara.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1451961089|3970768 said:

I have always worn mascara (with or without Lattise), but I have light-colored lashes. Latisse only encourages lashes to grow longer (and maybe a little thicker), so it doesn't necessarily replace the need for mascara. If you are okay with the color of your natural lashes, then I suppose that you could skip mascara, but I have never used Latisse as an alternative to mascara.

Gotcha. I have dark hair/lashes so I guess it would be possible.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like many of you ladies here, I'm reading this thread with great interest. I have naturally very short lashes (am Asian, one of the very few features I dislike about being Asian, lol).

So, I use Latisse and have done so for the last 3-4 years; I forget it's been that long, yes. It does work very well but it has a limit (literally and figuratively). It makes my lashes longer but not thicker. Also, b/c your lashes go through a cycle, by the time they're a certain length they fall off and hence the lashes cannot grow beyond that maximum length. I have dark irises so don't know about that side effect. As far as cost, I pay about USD150 per box (I think); but as someone else has said, prices vary. I also look out for special offers which they have a couple of times a year, whereby you buy one and get one free.

I've tried lash extensions many times. This is however a temporary measure, used only for special occasions. You can't wear them permanent or longer than say one month, b/c: 1. they fall off over time, especially if you're not careful (see 3); 2. they're not of course as comfortable as your own lashes; 3. you have to be super careful when washing your face and taking a shower/ washing your hair; 4. you cannot apply mascara on them (you may not want to anyway) and applying eye-make up, even eye pencil or liner is not easy; 5. they can do damage to your natural lashes, especially if worn over many months; 6. you would have "top up" (fill in the lashes that have fallen off) once a month or every three weeks, if you want to keep them; 7. they're a b*tch to remove and the solution they use stings your eyes; and 8. last but not least, they can be costly especially if you keep topping up/ wearing them for a long time. Anyway, if you want to, I'd say go ahead; your eyes look amazing after the extensions. But make sure you use word-of-mouth; Korean products are the best. Some places offer a very cheap alternative but they use cheap glue and remover which are HORRID!!! PAINFUL!!!

As far as mascara, I'm still searching for the Holly Grail. I need both a lengthening and thickening mascara! I find the waterproof ones don't smudge as much and applying some eye-shadow just under your lower lashes really help the mascara not to smudge. However, my problem is that mascara keeps flaking off on me and I get bits of dry black mascara on my face, not attractive!! Lol. So, does anyone know of a mascara that does not flake off?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hoover|1451960346|3970763 said:
I have really sensitive skin and eyes too and I've been using Blinc mascara without reactions. It doesn't smudge, I didn't get raccoon eyes in the rain, and comes off with plain warm water in "tubes" with no residue. If it helps you decide, I also have oily eyelids - eyeliner never stays on, and Blinc and Fiberwig are the only mascaras that work for me. I just prefer Blinc and Fiberwig is not that easy to find since sephora doesn't carry it anymore.

http://www.sephora.com/blinc-mascara-P46017?country_switch=ca&lang=en
http://www.djv-beautenizer.com/usa/products/fiberwiglx

For those that have used Latisse, did it help grow new lashes? I have very few bottom lashes (a lot fell out after an allergic reaction and never grew back) and was curious as to whether it would help grow them back. Did you get any darkening of the skin under the eyes? I read that was a possible side effect and that's what has me hesitating.

Have you tried eye primer? Supposed to help eyeliner and eye-shadow stay put. Helps with mine anyway.

I don't know about Latisse helping to grow new lashes. I personally find that both my upper and lower lashes are longer than before (I only apply on the top lashes though (like instructed), but not thicker, not on mine. No darkening of the skin under the eyes here. You could try just one bottle and see how it goes. Anyway, whatever happens to you (except the irises, I don't know about that) is temporary and everything goes back to normal after you stop using it.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have super sensitive eyes too and it's true that initially my eyes were a tiny bit irritated but after prolonged use, my eyes adapted to the solution and it's no longer an issue.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1451940321|3970602 said:
I use GrandeLash growth simulator, which is available without a prescription. All I can say is that it really works for me. I'm part Asian and my lashes were short and straight before I started using this product. They're now long and curved - I can go without mascara but most days I don't. Before, I always applied mascara right after washing my face because that's when they had the most curl. I had to (as in "had to" ;)) ) use mascaras that both lengthened and would preserve the curl, because otherwise, what was the point? L'oreal had just discontinued my favorite mascara when I decided to try the GrandeLash. Now I'm just looking for a mascara to add a little oompf to my lashes. Having "naturally" longer lashes really increased my mascara options.

I'd be interested to try GrandeLash. May I ask where you get it from? I looked at Amazon but they don't ship GrandeLash to Asia.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1451967769|3970816 said:
VRBeauty|1451940321|3970602 said:

I'd be interested to try GrandeLash. May I ask where you get it from? I looked at Amazon but they don't ship GrandeLash to Asia.

You can order from the company directly: http://www.grandelashmd.com/default.asp. I've been buying mine at my hair salon, but it's quite a trip from my house and I recently changed salons so I'll be buying direct from the manufacturer from now on. My first 2.0 ml tube lasted me about two months. You can use it less frequently after you get the growth you want, so each tube lasts me at least three months now.

I was not thrilled with their mascara and wouldn't get it again. I loved the formula but hated the brush.

I hope they ship to Asia!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008, House Cat, :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

There are lots of youtube videos, this is a VERY good one but she missed some stuff; http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/01/how-to-apply-false-eyelash_n_4058747.html

(the ones she is wearing are similar to these, so you know what they look like in a package http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/kiss-eyelashes-10/ID=prod6120602-product)

Here's what you do; go to Walgreens and figure you'll spend about $20 to buy several styles of lashes to see what you like best. After you find what you like, you will only spend about $5 each time. I like Kiss #10 (http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/kiss-eyelashes-10/ID=prod6120602-product) or #4, they're about the length of natural lashes, but very thick. Buy Kiss glue and a 10X magnifying hand mirror. Figure the first time you will screw around with them for about half an hour or more to get the hang of it. This is not something you want to do the first time while you're running late.

(I'm bolding the parts she skipped in the video) Gently, slowly, peel them out of the package and hold them up to your eyes. Chances are you'll need to trim off a little to fit your eye. I usually trim 1/8th of an inch off the end of each one. I then roll them up with my fingers to make a C. They come out of the package so straight, but you're eyes aren't straight across, so bend them into a little C.

Then apply the glue evenly along the edge, making sure there's a little more on each end. Blow on it. You want the glue tacky, not wet.

Then hold the magnifying mirror in one hand and hold the lashes in the middle (not on the glue, obviously). Aim to get the middle as close to your actual lashes as possible. Push it on, then position and smooth down each end. If you mess up, just nudge them around a bit, or just pull them off and start over. If you build up a couple of layers of glue, it's fine, it actually makes them easier to handle, lol. I actually like my lashes after about 4-5 uses, because the thin glue layer (not visible to onlookers) makes them easier. Try not to open your eyes very wide until the glue sets, about 1 minute. The Kiss glue is basically Elmer's glue, the stuff we liked to cover our hands with in grade school, so it's non-toxic and easy to remove.

You can use an eyelash curler on the lashes if you like, and sometimes I will put mascara over my lashes and the fake lashes, but only a little. My lashes are blondish, but you really can't see them. That's what the magnifying mirror is for; to check that kind of stuff. ;)) The Kiss glue dries clear, so you don't need eyeliner, but I do like to use liner pencil over the glue.

If you look at the video, you can see the before and after (briefly, at the end) and "falsies" :D make a HUGE difference in your look. They also hide the fact that age has taken away my eyelids. These are much easier than eyelid surgery. :bigsmile:

momhappy: which glue did you use? Fake lashes shouldn't hurt when being removed. Kiss Glue peels right off, very easily. Just grab the middle of the lash and gently loosen, then peel off from the inner to outer edge. Or the video linked above shows an easy way to loosen the glue.

Phoenix: I have used various mascaras for 35+ years and Diorshow (the original, basic one) was the best. I never had flakes, or smudges, even though it is very humid where I live. It is also thickening and curling without clumping. They have a new Dior Curling mascara which goes on about 10% thinner, but does hold a curl.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have used Rapidlash in the past - it burned at first, but I got used to it. It did seem to make my lashes longer. I also did lash extensions for awhile. They were great at first, but the upkeep is a real pain in the butt - it's quite pricey and time intensive. I also was very bad about taking them off, and so it ruined the lashes. I like the look of falsies, but haven't mastered them yet.

Today, I start off with She Uemera's curler, then use Maybelline the Rocket Express waterproof mascara for an initial coat to keep my lashes curled. As an Asian with monolids, my lashes tend to stay straight and point downwards. They actually are long, but could use thickening. The only way to keep the curl is to use a waterproof mascara. Wayne Goss swears by using a waterproof mascara to hold the curl and he's right. Then I use a second coat of a different mascara to thicken.

So...the big question, which mascara to use? Benefit's They're Real actually worked out pretty well. I do not like the Rollerlash - it seems to undo the curl. However, The Beauty Department seems to swear by this mascara. Maybe it works out well for those who don't have to worry about keeping the eyelashes curled. The Beauty Department also recommends 30 strokes on each lash to maximize thickness. This seems to work when I use the Rocket Express.

I currently use Better than Sex as my second coat - holds the curl, but the formula is so clumpy that I have to wipe off the excess before using it. Not my favorite, but I'm using up the tube before trying something else. I'm going to get a sample of Benefit's new mascara primer - I'll give a review as soon as I get it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results