shape
carat
color
clarity

what gemstones have this color? help a newbie pls!

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
hello Dear PSers on the coloreds stone forum! i need your kind help for a newbie question! i know nothing about gemstones so this might be a silly question. i appreciate any advice!

i really like pink diamonds - not their price tag though. here is one pink diamond i really like in color - it is a soft light pink color (or dusty pink? i am not sure how to describe it). any gem stone has same or similar color? what verndors would you recommend if i'd get gem stones this color?

thanks a whole bunch for your kind help!

_35861.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Morganite and Sapphire come to mind.

I'm sure you know this but only diamond has that highly desired hardness of Moh10 and the index of refraction that, if cut well, results in dispersing light into the colors of the rainbow ... though nearly no fancy colored diamonds are cut to proportions that do this well.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also take a look at Spinels - depending on your specific search parameters (shape/size/dimensions) you should be able to find a well-cut pale peachy pink Spinel.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline comes to mind as well but I wouldn't have one for an engagement ring due to its hardness

tour970_paper.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also they have pink diamonds that are lab created. But not everyone is comfortable with a gemsotne that didn't come from the ground.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
As mentioned above- sapphires, morganite, spinels and tourmalines can all have that light pink shade. Depending on your budget you might also look for a light pinkish brown diamond, too. With patience you may be able to find one that looks very, very, pink after setting with just a minimal of brown.
Although morganite can can have that perfect pastel pink color- it is a softer gem so probably not one I'd wear everyday- so think of how you want to wear it.Also, I don't find it very "sparkly", but it's pretty. Is this for a ring? Sapphires are a good choice, but can sometimes shift color. The pastel peachy pink ring I just posted about can look very pastel peach, or very pastel pink (very close to the color you posted) depending on lighting. Check with the vendors in the sticky above. If you are unable to locate anything maybe talk with one of the precision cutters to keep a look out for you at the Tuscan gem show coming up very soon in February.

Here is a photo of my new sapphire ring looking quite close to that pastel pink color. At least 2 people have asked me if it's a pink diamond when I've been wearing it.

_35862.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Also, if you're interested in Morganite- contact Prima Gems. They just posted this photo on their Facebook page. They just had a very large parcel of morganites faceted and they are being shipped to their new York office now. =)

10290653_1804599729767147_7770875746241427380_n.jpg

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
Thank you sooo very much everyone! it is so kind of you to provide me so many options! and it is an eye-opener for me - i checked the gem stone vendors and only start to realize how interesting this world is! i used to stick on diamonds, and this might be a turning point for me ;-)

and PINKJEWEL, your ring is lovely! i always wish to have an oval halo! this time i actually want to have a pair of earrings. thinking of oval or cushion halo dangles. i will see what i can find :)

thanks a lot again! cheers for 2016!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why are pink diamonds so expensive - it is durable and still gives off fire (not just one colour flash but rainbow colours). You might want to consider a fancy pinkish brown diamond, which is kinder to the wallet.

Do you need a durable stone? If so, then go for a light sapphire or spinel. If well cut, will be sparkly although not FCD-like.
Morganite and tourmaline are less durable but also less expensive. Their downside is also that they are not very sparkly and has lower RI.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results