shape
carat
color
clarity

Curious about history of oval cuts

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have an oval cut e-ring that we bought 20 years ago from a set that our jeweler bought estate. We saw it in the original setting and it looked pretty old. The diamond has an open culet, which we were told at the time is common in antique stones.

Fast forward, and just out of curiosity I started researching the history of various cuts, but I can't find much on ovals. Maybe you guys can help me out? All I've found says the oval was invented in 1960, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around there being no oval cut stones before then. Would they have cut an oval with an open culet in the 60's? When did open culets stop being cut routinely? If it matters it also has a faceted girdle.

Since Pricescope is on the forefront of jewelry education, hopefully you can point me in the right direction?

alamana

Shiny_Rock
I have no answer for you but I think it is a fascinating question so I'll be following the thread with interest...

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I've been too intimidated by the forum to post much, so I was very nervous asking!

All I've found so far is that they were invented by Lazare Kaplan in 1960, but no other info.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Quoting from http://www.77diamonds.com/oval-cut-diamonds.html

Although oval shaped diamonds were first introduced over 200 years ago, the modern oval cut was invented in the early 1960s by leading Russian cutter Lazare Kaplan. The cut eventually earned him a place in the Jewellers International Hall of Fame, however, Kaplan also left his mark on the diamond industry with his unique ability to split a rough diamond into smaller stones with a single blow. This process is known as cleaving.

When a rough material is poorly shaped or contains defective flaws that prevent it from being turned into a single stone, it must be split along the grain. Kaplan became famous for his expertise in taking stones that were otherwise deemed unworthy and transforming them into beautifully cut diamonds.

I have an antique oval that I know was cut before 1960....Ari from Singlestone told me that he thought it may have been a cushion gone wrong so they turned it into an oval. While I love an antique cushion, I love the rarity of an antique oval even more, so I'm thrilled that what may have been an "oops" worked in my favor! ;-)

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is so fascinating! I know nothing about ovals but I think they are so elegant. Beekeper - please post a pic of your lovely ring!!

Yenny - I love your oval! It's a cushion gone right if you ask me.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ihy138|1451159878|3966488 said:
This is so fascinating! I know nothing about ovals but I think they are so elegant. Beekeper - please post a pic of your lovely ring!!

+1 !!

cheers--Sharon

alamana

Shiny_Rock
canuk-gal|1451163404|3966512 said:

+1 !!

cheers--Sharon

+2!!!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
alamana|1451177304|3966593 said:
canuk-gal|1451163404|3966512 said:

+1 !!

cheers--Sharon

+2!!!

Aww, thanks everyone! Yes, Beekeeper, I'd love to see your ring!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results