shape
carat
color
clarity

(Cartier inspired) Cuprian Ring

greentea260

Rough_Rock
Wow this will be the most stunning ring. I can not wait to see it!

My vote would be for pink outside, it will be more of a graduated look and the pink will blend nicely with the rose gold

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Chrono David is making a pearl ring for me in 18k rose gold and light pink sapphires, perhaps you're right light pink might complement the metal colour more, perhaps really pale to light? However my pearl is not a saturated gemstone like your Cuprian tourmaline.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with you, a lighter pink would work better. Does the tourmaline melee vary in colour in real life as it does in the picture (for example, there is a distinctively green stone near the center of the photo)? If so, then a similar degree of variation in the sapphires would look more natural, instead of contrasting if they are too uniform.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1450376435|3962712 said:
I agree with you, a lighter pink would work better. Does the tourmaline melee vary in colour in real life as it does in the picture (for example, there is a distinctively green stone near the center of the photo)? If so, then a similar degree of variation in the sapphires would look more natural, instead of contrasting if they are too uniform.

I don't recall the melees looking that nonuniform in person. I don't recall seeing any green ones either.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1450377041|3962715 said:
Lady_Disdain|1450376435|3962712 said:

I don't recall the melees looking that nonuniform in person. I don't recall seeing any green ones either.

I think lighter pink sapphires is a good call, Chrono. Also, since we both got tourmaline melee from the same batch- mine is all pretty uniform in color, too - without any green ones. maybe something in his lighting caught it at a weird angle?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Things are a toss in the air at the moment. David is unable to find any lighter pink melees. I've looked but they are all either too large, too dark, or the vendor looks shady. :bigsmile: We could very well come back to either 18K WG or Platinum so that the pinks will not be amped up and I hope the tourmaline melees will hold their colour well enough in a white metal. The only deciding point is how experienced and confident the bench is in setting a chip-py tourmaline, especially a trillion that has 3 points. White seems a good neutral palette and I know that pave work holds up better in PT but will it be easier to set the trilliant tourmaline in 18K gold rather than PT?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eek. That's a touch choice.

And he can't find links in another stone (*cough* diamond *cough*)

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
did you price out pink diamond melee?

And i thought I read somewhere that white gold was harder than platinum to set chippy stones in? Waiting for experts to chime in about that.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you ask a quote for pink diamonds. Perhaps the pricing is ok-ish for small melee?
I understood from a different vendor that platinum is easier to set compared to white gold, but hopefully an expert chimes in on this.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW, DK did my moonstone ring in platinum and the bench had no issues setting the stone. And moonstone is softer than tourmaline.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick hit and run post.
1. I will need 60 melees so pink FCDs will blow my budget by at least $1K, most likely much more.
2. Cabochon are very durable so even if a moonstone, it is difficult to damage. Faceted moonstone, on the other hand, will be soft. I would not be as concerned if the tourmaline is a cabochon but this cuprian is precision cut and will be either impossible to replace or cost far more than I am willing to spend.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
I visited cs today hoping to see this beauty- I'm really looking forward to it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David emailed me whilst in Thailand to let me know that he found light pink sapphire melees so he'll be bringing them back and I think we are staying with 18K rose gold again.

S

SparkliesLuver

:appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and he said the bench are very skilled with pave work and CS, and are insured. They also work for Tiffany and Cartier!

Thank you, SL! I'm glad that we are finally progressing again.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1452603400|3974680 said:
Oh, and he said the bench are very skilled with pave work and CS, and are insured. They also work for Tiffany and Cartier!

Thank you, SL! I'm glad that we are finally progressing again.
That's great. I was really hoping you wouldn't have to wait to long for the melee issue to be resolved.

Glad you're sticking with rose gold too.

I'll be watching ;-)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does David not have his own bench, or does he work with multiple benches?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1452624985|3974844 said:
Does David not have his own bench, or does he work with multiple benches?

Minou,
I don't know. This is the first time I am working with DK.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, okay, gotcha. For some reason, I was thinking the bench was in Thailand with your pink sapphires!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1452625616|3974853 said:
Oh, okay, gotcha. For some reason, I was thinking the bench was in Thailand with your pink sapphires!

This, I can answer. :bigsmile: He was in Thailand to shop for stuff and whilst there, happened upon some light pink sapphire melees that are suitable for my project. His bench(es) are here in the US. I think he is back in the US now but I'm still waiting for pictures.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good deal! glad he was able to find you some suitable stones! The only place I was able to get decent light pink melee sapphires from was gemtownUSA on ebay. They might be too big for what you wanted though 2.0mm in size.

I'm anxious to see how your ring turns out as I have a project in mine for David to do which will involve a LOT of melee stones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you all haven't given up on me. So, yea or nay?

pinklighter.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1452885676|3976462 said:
Love the melee choice. How do you feel about the metal choice looking at it now?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1452885676|3976462 said:

oooh those melee colors are spectacular! Love it! And I like it with the rose gold also :) I'm excited for you :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so nervous and excited at the same time. I think this ring really calls for that soft colour, rather than cold platinum.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like it's coming together nicely! Can't wait to see the final result! :appl:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking good, I like this shade of pink and I think it will go well with the paraiba melee.
Can't wait to see more progress. :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh! I love the rose gold and the combination of this pink melee with the Paraiba melee. Great to see it all coming together!

arabella

Shiny_Rock
I finally took the time to read through this thread. I can't wait to see the end result Chrono! Happy for you that the pink sapphire melee was found. I think rose gold is the best choice! [emoji4]

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful :love: , pink and blue is my favourite combination.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results