carat
color
clarity

Help with a 5ct+ ring

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1450219372|3961945 said:
A) switching out a 5 carat asscher is not going happen. They are too distinctive and hard to find. Each one is different.
B) My stone's girdle is not inscribed. My girdle does show a bit though.
C) Steven works with large stones all the time. He is not going to risk his entire business by switching out any stone, let alone one as hard to switch as a 5 carat asscher.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
reality check. thank you.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the colors in the asscher but if you're going for size, the 5.33 ct oval faces up larger. The 7 ct oval doesn't appeal to me like that 5.33 ct oval. Good dilemma to have though.

bpc

Rough_Rock
Both rings look great! Any opinions on not doing a halo and just a solitaire setting with a single row pave on the shank and prongs? What are the dimensions of the AVC diamond? 10mm x 10mm approximately? What size are the stones in the halo?

Thanks

bpc

Rough_Rock
I'm pretty much going ahead with the Asscher. Is the 5.33ct oval good value/quality stone though or can I find better?

eirwen

Rough_Rock
i love the 5ct asscher.. Asschers are my all time fav cut. Micro set diamonds on the shank with no halo sounds perfect for the stone, simplicity would really bring out the asscher. My humble 1.7ct asscher is set in a halo and i do wish i didn't at times ..

I know the question's been asked - Are you positive your girl loves step cuts?

egemnoel

Shiny_Rock
Hi BPC,

I just took a very quick video for you on some different rings. I will quickly summarise and I hope you like cars.

Asscher 2.07 H VS2 - Porsche - elegant and can easily hold it own, but not screaming in your face.
Round Crafted By Infinity 2.16 G VS2 - Ferrari - will grab your attention - the sparkle is amazing and this diamond is Super Ideal.
Cushion 2.01 I VS2 - Bentley - big and beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu76WoV2Auk

All rings made by Leon Mege.

eirwen

Rough_Rock
egemnoel|1450277741|3962250 said:
Hi BPC,

I just took a very quick video for you on some different rings. I will quickly summarise and I hope you like cars.

Asscher 2.07 H VS2 - Porsche - elegant and can easily hold it own, but not screaming in your face.
Round Crafted By Infinity 2.16 G VS2 - Ferrari - will grab your attention - the sparkle is amazing and this diamond is Super Ideal.
Cushion 2.01 I VS2 - Bentley - big and beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu76WoV2Auk

All rings made by Leon Mege.

Drooling over your asscher!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP,

I've only just come across this thread. Wanted to chime in quickly. I live in Asia, and have done so for the last 20 years. Tastes vary hugely from country to country even within Asia. Would you be able to share whether you live in Japan/ Korea or Hong Kong/ Singapore or Indonesia? I could elaborate and share more of my experience and observations later if you'd like. Or maybe you could share her taste (I might have missed this), both in jewellery and elsewhere (clothes & handbags etc)? Even within one country, what she'd like and would wear would also very much depend on your/ her social circle and where she works as well.

What I'd like to say though: while I love love love that asscher, I'd NOT buy that for an engagement ring, for several reasons. Asschers are very rare here, I've never ever seen anyone wear one here (but of course I've seen it elsewhere). Most people would not know what an asscher is. It does face up small for its weight and if you are going for a 5ct+, maybe size (or faceup) is important (?). And while I love step-cuts for their quiet elegance, some people simply do not go for that. Also step-cuts are dirt magnets, your lady would need to keep it spotlessly clean all the time, otherwise it'd just look like a piece of glass (just mho of course, lol).

I'd also err on the side of caution and go for a higher colour, unless you and your lady live in Indonesia; in which case SIZE is the most important criterion. I personally would wear an I colour stone, but this is not about me! :))

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that asscher is beautiful. But this diamond is not for me!!

Just curious why you are likely going with the asscher? If it's because you think your intended will absolutely love it, then yay for you. But I haven't heard anything about what she's like, her style, her taste in jewelry, etc. It's a step cut and those have a very different kind of beauty, so please think on if your girl would likely love that. It does face up small for it's carat weight. In LLJmom's photo you can see it's not much larger than her 2.7 carat MRB, so if size is one of your main goals, then it's likely not going to achieve that. No question that it's a gorgeous asscher, but I'm just wondering if you may be getting caught up in everyone's love of it on this forum. And whoever is selling it will tell you it's absolutely stunning, because it is, but that does not mean it's the right diamond for your intended. Hope I'm making sense. We just want you to get something that your girlfriend will love and love wearing. I'm also commenting because size was one of your main criteria. If size, finger presence and bling are your goal I think an oval could be a safer bet. But again, I have no idea what your girl is like.

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
bpc|1450270891|3962213 said:
I'm pretty much going ahead with the Asscher. Is the 5.33ct oval good value/quality stone though or can I find better?

That 5.33 oval is lovely.. I think you could find a better oval. Are those the only two ovals that jonathan has sent?

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
That asscher is phenomenal. The ASET is incredible. If asscher's are rare in Asia, as Phoenix is stating, and your girl is a free thinker she will probably love it if she loves emerald cuts and likes to have something different. 2 PSr's have seen it in person and say it is a marvelous diamond. Nothing beats an eyewitness account except for 2 Psr eyewitnesses. Did you watch the asscher videos that come on GOG youtube after your's? High performing asschers are extremely rare. The Octavias are really deep ....like 70+ % depth but are amazing stones.

Can you post the GIA report? What are the measurements face up? Does she have small hands? If so this would be perfect.

Another consideration is that it has strong blue flourescence which is a bonus as in certain lighting it will have a blue hue giving it added personality. Asschers were my first love in diamonds and this one, regardless of price would make an amazing engagement ring.

Good luck on your choice. Ovals and emerald cuts are both elongated stones and would be my only hesitation. But since cut is king and you can't see those stones in person...I would go for the stone that has been seen in person by 2 PSr's and take their word for it. you might find a larger face up stone but will it compare to the performance of the asscher?

Hope this helps from another perspective.

5c asscher i think this one was around $200k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6615ZlCRN6M

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Here are the stats on the asscher stone and buydiamonddirect usually has the best price which IDJ will match I would assume:
They usually don't post the copy of the report though but you can see the price is excellent and I like those numbers too. The smaller table % at 58% is nice. Faces up almost 10mm which is nice for a 5c asscher and most fancy cut 5c stones.

5.33 H VS1 GIA 69.3 58 Thick None Very Good Very Good Very Strong Blue 9.82x9.63x6.67 1.02:1.00 $66,757.18

E50-20936 5.31 E VS2 GIA 68.6 62 Thick Small Very Good Very Good None 9.42x9.41x6.45 1:1.00 $228,616.74
E50-24439 5.29 H VVS2 GIA 69.2 59 Slightly Thick Very Thick Small Excellent Excellent Strong Blue 10.02x9.35x6.47 1.07:1.00 $113,850.58
E50-22305 5.09 G VVS2 GIA 63.9 69 Slightly Thick Small Excellent Excellent Faint 10.04x9.63x6.16 1.04:1.00 $160,049.14
P7905-06 5.03 G VVS2 GIA 67.9 67 Thick Thick None Very Good Very Good None 9.27x9.04x6.14 1.03:1.00 $153,769.12
[1]

bpc

Rough_Rock
Yekutiel at ID sent the 5.33ct and 7.5ct ovals. Thanks for the videos, very helpful

By the way, how can:
E50-20936 5.31 E VS2 GIA 68.6 62 Thick Small Very Good Very Good None 9.42x9.41x6.45 1:1.00 $228,616.74

be smaller than the 5.33 Asscher in every dimension and still be same weight? Different density?

Thanks

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1450182275|3961640 said:
bpc|1450122930|3961356 said:
LLJsmom - under what lighting did you take your pictures? How do I make sure the one I have is the same as the one you looked at?

We were in the store. I was just looking at it under their store lighting. We never took it outside. Missy, if you have any comments please chime in. I just moved it around, and kinda tried to go under the counter with it too.

To answer your question, I don't have a copy of the GIA report that he gave me. I tossed it because I couldn't afford the stone. Have him ship it to you and see if you like it. I don't know what IDJ's return policy is.

I don't know how to ensure that the stone is the one I saw. For what it's worth, I don't think IDJ would ever switch it out on you. That would be suicide on their part, and they are trusted by many PSers. And I don't think jewelers keep a variety of 5.33 ct H, VS1 asscher cuts lying around, to switch it out. When you receive it, you should be able to see inscription on the girdle, because I am assuming that Steven doesn't cover up the girdle on his halos. Check with Gypsy to find out how much of the girdle is showing from the side.

If you are going to do a halo, definitely have Steven do it. The one IDJ showed is just not in the same league as Steven's work, and distracts and obstructs more than it highlights and complements.

His video seems like it's done under a table lamp. ASk him to take a video or pictures of the stone at different places around the store, under the counter. For what it's worth, that looks like the asscher I saw. The lighting in the video isn't making it throw off a lot of different colors, but it's very lively, even though it is returning mostly white light. Do you see how all the facets seem to light up at some point, just depending on how it is rocked? I saw a lot of colors, which may have been a result of where I was in the store. Just talk to him, and explain.

Hi, bpc, I was just alerted to this thread and reading it now. Yes LLJsmom and I had the opportunity to see this beautiful stone in person. It is gorgeous. However, I would not buy an asscher unless I knew my FI was crazy about asschers and wanted one for her ER. And since size is so important a 5 carat asscher is not that big compared to a round or an oval or even a pear. And what are her color requirements?

I thought the colors coming from this stone were amazing and I would be thrilled to own such a stone and the H color looked white enough for me. It might not be white enough for your FI however. Color is a personal choice and depending on other influencing factors such as what Phoenix wrote about I would be very careful before buying such a specific stone i.e. shape, color and size.

I will say that it is a gorgeous stone and LLJsmom and I were blown away by it. :love:
And if I had an extra 67K or so to spend on more bling I would not hesitate purchasing it.

Good luck with your decision!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bpc, that's the one I saw. Still beautiful. Still love it. Did you receive a copy of the Gia report yet? You poor thing. You seem very torn. It seems to me that your gut wants to go with the asscher but many people have told you not to. You know your girl best. Do you think she will like it? If she does, will she be able to ignore any perceived negative comments and enjoy it because she loves it or will she care more about what other people think than what she thinks? Honestly I don't think size will be an issue because it is very substantial. The light return goes from edge to edge and it makes that rock look big. It looks way brighter and more lively than the ovals to me. Good luck to you.

And if you do set it in a non-halo, it will be stunning. And you will have to take lots of pictures for us.

bpc

Rough_Rock
So I bought the Asscher. 66k. Wholesaler was willing to offer a 2% discount had I moved more quickly, but the additional time to consider it was worth it. This was listed on EnchantedDiamonds for slightly less but good service ought to be rewarded. Will post pictures once Steven works on it. I think single row micro pave with no halo is what I'll go for. Thanks very much everyone for the help!

Actually, I may be in the market for another ring, this one for the other most important woman in my life. Anyone want to help me find a nice ring that is slightly bigger? I'm thinking an oval for this one :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bpc|1450377753|3962721 said:
So I bought the Asscher. 66k. Wholesaler was willing to offer a 2% discount had I moved more quickly, but the additional time to consider it was worth it. This was listed on EnchantedDiamonds for slightly less but good service ought to be rewarded. Will post pictures once Steven works on it. I think single row micro pave with no halo is what I'll go for. Thanks very much everyone for the help!

Actually, I may be in the market for another ring, this one for the other most important woman in my life. Anyone want to help me find a nice ring that is slightly bigger? I'm thinking an oval for this one :)

Congratulations!! So did you end up getting it from IDJ? I can't wait to see it. You have another most important woman in you life for whom you need to get a bigger ring? How do I join? So did you get the asscher for your fiancé (soon to be)?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ariel144|1450329426|3962554 said:
That asscher is phenomenal. The ASET is incredible. If asscher's are rare in Asia, as Phoenix is stating, and your girl is a free thinker she will probably love it if she loves emerald cuts and likes to have something different. 2 PSr's have seen it in person and say it is a marvelous diamond. Nothing beats an eyewitness account except for 2 Psr eyewitnesses. Did you watch the asscher videos that come on GOG youtube after your's? High performing asschers are extremely rare. The Octavias are really deep ....like 70+ % depth but are amazing stones.

Can you post the GIA report? What are the measurements face up? Does she have small hands? If so this would be perfect.

Another consideration is that it has strong blue flourescence which is a bonus as in certain lighting it will have a blue hue giving it added personality. Asschers were my first love in diamonds and this one, regardless of price would make an amazing engagement ring.

Good luck on your choice. Ovals and emerald cuts are both elongated stones and would be my only hesitation. But since cut is king and you can't see those stones in person...I would go for the stone that has been seen in person by 2 PSr's and take their word for it. you might find a larger face up stone but will it compare to the performance of the asscher?

Ariel, that video is great to exhibit the size in a finger. Ain't small to me. I can't wait to see the OPs finished ring.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock

I think you are making a mistake a micro pave band with an unhaloed asscher will not look right at all - plain band for elegance

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How fun, but I'm totally confused!

I hope whoever the asscher is for is going to fall over from instant swooning love of it (and for love of you too :)) ).

Please post pictures when it's done and by all means....hand shots of this masterpiece!!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
bpc|1450342064|3962586 said:
Yekutiel at ID sent the 5.33ct and 7.5ct ovals. Thanks for the videos, very helpful

By the way, how can:

be smaller than the 5.33 Asscher in every dimension and still be same weight? Different density?

Thanks

Yes, interesting, especially since the depth is almost the same 68.6 vs 69 in the H. It has to be in the way it was cut. Note it has a larger table 62% vs 59% in the H. Those Octavia asschers are 75% depth with tiny tables 45% and face up really small and are custom cut by Yoram.

The 5.33 H asscher does not face up small for an asscher cut. Many fancies like princess cuts, radiants, and some cushions are cut deep around 70%+ and so they face up small for their carat size:

Here is a 5c AVC that faces up nicely because it's depth is only 65%...10.25mm
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/5-04ct-j-vs1-august-vintage-cushion-diamond.html

That antique cushion on Leon Mege already set was a beautiful stone and ring. Don't know the specs or price, but his work is phenomenal.

On buydiamond direct those were the ONLY asschers 5c and OVER...so they are very rare. I think their seach comes from Polygon. That also surprised me. Didn't check James Allen to see if they had any larger.

If she likes emerald cuts I would assume she would like asschers as well. She sure is a lucky girl whatever you choose. If you buy the asscher you can buy a house with what is left over...LOL! Well probably not in Asia.

Oh, sorry, now I see you bought the asscher...good choice. I hope the "other important woman" is your dear mother!

psywzrd

Rough_Rock

Can I work for you ;-) ?

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom|1450378894|3962728 said:
ariel144|1450329426|3962554 said:

Ariel, that video is great to exhibit the size in a finger. Ain't small to me. I can't wait to see the OPs finished ring.

Yes, that video was great for showing a 5c asscher on a 4.75 finger was perfect. No small bling by any means! His girl will love that stone IMO. Of course I LOVE asscher cuts! Us PSr's love these big bling threads...how fun!

eirwen

Rough_Rock
Congrats on the beautiful asscher! Can't wait to see the ring :)

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom|1450386399|3962772 said:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ch-square-emerald-w-tapered-baguettes.197237/

This is a puppy4248 's 4 carat asscher. One of my all time faves on PS. See how this does not look small?

Setting also by the amazing Steven Kirsch.

Anything but small for sure. Also found this educational link on the above thread...

Diff. in square emerald vs asscher cut:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/square-emerald-cut-vs-asscher.156914/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/square-emerald-cut-vs-asscher.156914/[/URL]

and this:
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/performance-and-p3-facets-discussion-about-step-cut-diamonds

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
id add traps... this is stevens design.. to die for

ofcourse.. I'm still trying to add size :D

img_10120.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results