shape
carat
color
clarity

Fiji J Hunter pearls

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful pearls!!! I am such a J. Hunter fan and would love to visit his pearl farm someday, too!! Lovely pearls you've selected- I am especially partial to your keshi pearl.

Your idea of an organic design with pink/red gold looks like it would make the color of the pearl really pop. I love the Mikimoto ring you posted. My first thought was white diamonds in red gold, but one thing you may want to consider is your skin tone. If I put rose gold with white diamonds on my finger- the ring kind of disappears. The white diamonds take on a subtle pink tone and the whole thing blends with my finger color!! I made a couple of mistakes ordering rings that basically disappear on me, so thought I'd share the info. It might not matter in this style of ring, but thought it might be something you might not think about. And, of course, on you rose gold might look spectacular with your skin tone!! :twirl: Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
icy_jade|1440834626|3920684 said:
Lovinggems: thanks for sharing your lovely pearl pics. That Keshi strand. Wow. :love:

How will you describe the difference in color between Fiji pearls and the usual Tahitians? Also was it mentioned why the pearl color differs? Eg due to breeding of specific desired colours or the pearls/shells originally have different colours than those in other regions?

Hi Icy lovely to see your post. When I think of Tahitian pearls I think of the usual green, silver and black body colour and varying overtones, but you could still tell there's an underlying body colour. With the Fiji pearls, seeing them for the first time in person, I was a bit overwhelmed by the colour variations, a lot of the times I wasn't sure if I saw the pearl body colour or the overtones, the overtones seems to be a 'thicker' layer than Tahitians. I saw chocolates, cranberries, champagnes, blues/teals, pistachios, bronze, gold, hard to describe colours and the more typical Tahitian pearl colours, with the typical Tahitian like colour pearls, the overtones were really apparent in the good quality material.
J Hunter pearls mentioned their oysters exhibit traits of both Pinctada magaritifera cumingi -large body and dark colouration (French Polynesia Tahitian pearls) and Pinctada magaritifera typical - smaller body, unique body and shell colourations (Western islands of the Pacific ocean). I assumed there's some genetic variations between Tahitian and Fiji pearls. They also mentioned selecting shells and tissues with unique colourations when breeding their oysters. So it's probably a mixture of both.

I am really interested in hearing your thoughts based on the photos, as you have a great eye in selecting gorgeous pearls and have seen a lot more pearls than me in real life.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
pinkjewel|1440843081|3920690 said:
Beautiful pearls!!! I am such a J. Hunter fan and would love to visit his pearl farm someday, too!! Lovely pearls you've selected- I am especially partial to your keshi pearl.

Your idea of an organic design with pink/red gold looks like it would make the color of the pearl really pop. I love the Mikimoto ring you posted. My first thought was white diamonds in red gold, but one thing you may want to consider is your skin tone. If I put rose gold with white diamonds on my finger- the ring kind of disappears. The white diamonds take on a subtle pink tone and the whole thing blends with my finger color!! I made a couple of mistakes ordering rings that basically disappear on me, so thought I'd share the info. It might not matter in this style of ring, but thought it might be something you might not think about. And, of course, on you rose gold might look spectacular with your skin tone!! :twirl: Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Thank you pinkjewel for the red gold tip, I am not sure if it'll blend into me too much but I think my skin tone is more neutral and olive so it'll probably be ok. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos, if you do visit and acquire their pearls, I'm sure you'll do something spectacular with it. I so love the ring in your avatar.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Dear NacreLover here're a few more photos.

p1011976.jpg

p1012121.jpg

p1012186.jpg

p1012178.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Here's one that really suit my skin tone but I left it behind, I feel a bit sad about it.

p1012157.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1440846606|3920696 said:
icy_jade|1440834626|3920684 said:
Lovinggems: thanks for sharing your lovely pearl pics. That Keshi strand. Wow. :love:

How will you describe the difference in color between Fiji pearls and the usual Tahitians? Also was it mentioned why the pearl color differs? Eg due to breeding of specific desired colours or the pearls/shells originally have different colours than those in other regions?

Hi Icy lovely to see your post. When I think of Tahitian pearls I think of the usual green, silver and black body colour and varying overtones, but you could still tell there's an underlying body colour. With the Fiji pearls, seeing them for the first time in person, I was a bit overwhelmed by the colour variations, a lot of the times I wasn't sure if I saw the pearl body colour or the overtones, the overtones seems to be a 'thicker' layer than Tahitians. I saw chocolates, cranberries, champagnes, blues/teals, pistachios, bronze, gold, hard to describe colours and the more typical Tahitian pearl colours, with the typical Tahitian like colour pearls, the overtones were really apparent in the good quality material.
J Hunter pearls mentioned their oysters exhibit traits of both Pinctada magaritifera cumingi -large body and dark colouration (French Polynesia Tahitian pearls) and Pinctada magaritifera typical - smaller body, unique body and shell colourations (Western islands of the Pacific ocean). I assumed there's some genetic variations between Tahitian and Fiji pearls. They also mentioned selecting shells and tissues with unique colourations when breeding their oysters. So it's probably a mixture of both.

I am really interested in hearing your thoughts based on the photos, as you have a great eye in selecting gorgeous pearls and have seen a lot more pearls than me in real life.

Some random thoughts and I'll pull up some pics to describe what I mean.

The Fiji pearls do seem to have more pastels than typical Tahitians that I've seen so far. I see a lot of body color pearls at the shows here. I.e. Not just dark bodies with overtones, but greens, pistachios, etc. the occasional gold, white, blue and pinks. But T's with nice body color and overtones are rare. The only time I've been confused about body color vs overtone was with my t drops - in the end I decided it's just superbly intense body colour so I imagine that you must have seen some really great quality pearls at Fiji!

These drops that confused me about body color or overtones:
image_3800.jpg

When I got my wave strand, there were 2 others that had similar coloration in the batch (but I think one had darker color and the other poorer luster). Seldom see such colors in the fairs here, so I think they are rare for Tahitians n the vendor told me the colors are rare too:
image_3801.jpg

When I saw this bowl of pearls that you posted, they immediately reminded me of my wave strand:
image_3802.jpg

These pearls in this pic are superb. I think I would have jumped at them if I see them IRL. I love the different colors and shades in each pearl:
image_3804.jpg

That said, I do wonder if it's because I usually see rounds at the fairs here, or larger unmatched singles that can be used for rings or pendants. The ones in the pic appear to have quite unique multi toned colors so I would guess that they are uncommon and hard to match.

Tbc...

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Rarity aside, personally I think what matters most is that the pearl colors flatters your skin. No point getting a rare color if the pearls look dull.

This pic shows some of the traditional Tahitian colors in the bracelet vs the wave strand that seems to have more of the Fiji pastel colors:
image_3805.jpg

Note that the pearls in the bracelet have pretty intense body colors and are again probably not typical of the Tahitians that we usually see offered. IRL, the purple pearl pops the most against my skin amongst all the pearls in the above photo. Not that obvious in the pic tho.
image_3807.jpg

Oh ya, and I tend to see more intense colors in smaller pearls at the fairs here. Large round pearls with great color and luster is rare and usually cost a small fortune. And I've never seen such colourful keshis IRL...

Thanks again for sharing all your lovely photos. If you do go to any other SSP or Tahitian farms, do take lotsa pics for us again k?
I will really love to go Fiji one day. On my bucket list!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Great observations Icy Jade, so you think it's a combination of intense body colour and high luster? I can't get over the unique beauty of your wave strand, the colours so very similar to the Fiji pearls, btw I confirmed they are Pinctada margaritifera typica pearls, so a different subspecie from the Tahitian pearls.
Fiji is pretty close to Singapore and a very laid back type of place, it'll make a lovely family holiday destination. Of course you'll come home with some gorgeous souvenirs too. :bigsmile:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1441020288|3921517 said:
Great observations Icy Jade, so you think it's a combination of intense body colour and high luster? I can't get over the unique beauty of your wave strand, the colours so very similar to the Fiji pearls, btw I confirmed they are Pinctada margaritifera typica pearls, so a different subspecie from the Tahitian pearls.
Fiji is pretty close to Singapore and a very laid back type of place, it'll make a lovely family holiday destination. Of course you'll come home with some gorgeous souvenirs too. :bigsmile:

That was my conclusion for my Tahitian drops. Cos the colors were pretty consistent under various lighting conditions, unlike those Tahitians that just had overtones.

A different subspecie would explain the unusual colors. You did mention that they are smaller than the typical Tahitian oysters right? Was it mentioned how big the Fiji pearls can go?

It's gonna be a struggle to convince my DH to go with two young kids unless there is a Club Med there... So it won't be any time soon. But hey, where's the fun if I buy all my pearls now? ::)

Do let us know when you have set your pearls k?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
icy_jade|1441035022|3921610 said:
Lovinggems|1441020288|3921517 said:

That was my conclusion for my Tahitian drops. Cos the colors were pretty consistent under various lighting conditions, unlike those Tahitians that just had overtones.

A different subspecie would explain the unusual colors. You did mention that they are smaller than the typical Tahitian oysters right? Was it mentioned how big the Fiji pearls can go?

It's gonna be a struggle to convince my DH to go with two young kids unless there is a Club Med there... So it won't be any time soon. But hey, where's the fun if I buy all my pearls now? ::)

Do let us know when you have set your pearls k?

IcyJade, I googled about Fiji pearls' size but I am not sure how current is the information. I asked on the other forum, maybe we will get a response.
Fiji has a lot of all inclusive resort and they love kids, so maybe it's very similar to Club Med? :bigsmile:
I would love to set my pearls soon, but my mind works at snail pace. Will defintely post photos once set!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I've been collecting pearl ring photos for awhile since I want a pearl ring at some point. Here are a few more photos for inspiration.

fbeb8c71b4f9144e5a3f3bd1a2ea1fd3.jpg

str-xsr11s.jpg

466495.jpeg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Pink jewel gorgeous inspiration photos! I love the first one with the diamond tendrils embracing the pearl.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
PinkJewel just want you to know at the other pearl forum we have a lot of new Fiji pearl photos.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1447032849|3947161 said:
PinkJewel just want you to know at the other pearl forum we have a lot of new Fiji pearl photos.

thanks, LG!!!! I've posted on that thread a couple of times-such BEAUTIFUL pearls!!!!!!!! And Justin seems like such a nice guy, too. Still hoping to visit his pearl farm someday! Have you entered the CPAA drawing, yet? :shhh: :Up_to_something: :bigsmile:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
pinkjewel|1447069948|3947235 said:
Lovinggems|1447032849|3947161 said:

thanks, LG!!!! I've posted on that thread a couple of times-such BEAUTIFUL pearls!!!!!!!! And Justin seems like such a nice guy, too. Still hoping to visit his pearl farm someday! Have you entered the CPAA drawing, yet? :shhh: :Up_to_something: :bigsmile:

I see your posts now and that trip looks amazing! :devil: I need to get some tickets!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Cad renderings from David Klass for my chocolate keshi, David suggested light pink sapphires will look great with the pearl and 18k rose gold.

_1092.jpeg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE this!!!!! It will be gorgeous! Are you thinking of going with bright pink or soft pink sapphires?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Hi PinkJewel :wavey:
David suggested light pink sapphires, what are your thoughts? I also entertained the idea of white or cognac diamonds.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1450176994|3961619 said:
Cad renderings from David Klass for my chocolate keshi, David suggested light pink sapphires will look great with the pearl and 18k rose gold.

I think it will be lovely with the pearl but do you generally like rose gold? Personally it is an awful color against my skin tone so I stay away from it. But if rg is great on you go for it cos I think it'll be a great combi with the pink sapphires and pearl.

I prefer a softer shade of pink for the sapphire. It sorta goes with rg n your keshi better imo.

So excited for you. Pls keep us posted!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1450178961|3961625 said:
David suggested light pink sapphires, what are your thoughts? I also entertained the idea of white or cognac diamonds.

I would also suggest light pink sapphires to not overshadow the more delicate nature of the pearl. But, I'm also a diamond halo lover for the sparkle. The colorless diamonds should take on a very soft pink hue reflecting from the rose gold. Cognac diamonds would give a more "earthy" look to the ring. All would look good- it kind of depends on the look you want. what size melee is David planning on using?

ok- I just looked back at the CADs. I'm a tiny bit confused -Is the whole ring being covered in melee?

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Lovinggems, the design looks really pretty! I think the colour combination (gemstones, metal colour) sounds very good.

Exciting project!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
icy_jade|1450186629|3961653 said:
Lovinggems|1450176994|3961619 said:

I think it will be lovely with the pearl but do you generally like rose gold? Personally it is an awful color against my skin tone so I stay away from it. But if rg is great on you go for it cos I think it'll be a great combi with the pink sapphires and pearl.

I prefer a softer shade of pink for the sapphire. It sorta goes with rg n your keshi better imo.

So excited for you. Pls keep us posted!

Thank you IcyJade, I think I look ok in pink gold, my skin is pretty neutral so it doesn't clash with the pink tinge.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
pinkjewel|1450190670|3961675 said:

I would also suggest light pink sapphires to not overshadow the more delicate nature of the pearl. But, I'm also a diamond halo lover for the sparkle. The colorless diamonds should take on a very soft pink hue reflecting from the rose gold. Cognac diamonds would give a more "earthy" look to the ring. All would look good- it kind of depends on the look you want. what size melee is David planning on using?

ok- I just looked back at the CADs. I'm a tiny bit confused -Is the whole ring being covered in melee?

Hi PinkJewel I am not sure of the melee size I didn't ask, he will be placing sapphire all over the ring, I just realised my inspiration ring is fully encrusted in gems not just the top half. Do you think I should leave the bottom of he shank gem free?
Here's a photo o my inspiration ring.

_1105.jpeg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Tucs|1450193454|3961692 said:
Lovinggems, the design looks really pretty! I think the colour combination (gemstones, metal colour) sounds very good.

Exciting project!

Hi Tucs thank you! Since everyone approves of light pink sapphires I will go forward in this direction. I am not going to think too much about it since it's Christmas time and David Klass must be extremely busy, I am pleasantly surprised that I received a cad already.

Purranha

Rough_Rock
OMG Lovinggems I LUV the conch pearl inspiration ring!!! Would you please share which designer is that ring from? And perhaps share the link? Thanks so much!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Purranha|1450234975|3962100 said:
OMG Lovinggems I LUV the conch pearl inspiration ring!!! Would you please share which designer is that ring from? And perhaps share the link? Thanks so much!

Hi Purranha, I searched google images - conch pearl pave ring and it linked back to Pinterest. The caption was Mikimoto conch pearl ring. :wavey:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1450234237|3962094 said:

Hi PinkJewel I am not sure of the melee size I didn't ask, he will be placing sapphire all over the ring, I just realised my inspiration ring is fully encrusted in gems not just the top half. Do you think I should leave the bottom of he shank gem free?

I have that same photo saved-LOVE that ring!!!!! Of course, if I remember right it's pink and colorless diamonds used on it and I'm always a sucker for pink diamonds! :love:

OK- going back to your CAD-now I understand David's numbers on it. He's using half pointers (.8mm) up to 1.3mm (1 pointers) for the melee. Are you OK with the feel of that much diamond pave between your fingers? I know they bother me, so I will usually stop pave at the sides because of it. Something like where the pave stops on the shank in this photo. It isn't really seen anyway at the back. Even if you opt for all pave I'd still leave a small section in the back in case you ever needed to resize it.

_35627.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
pinkjewel|1450269522|3962210 said:

I have that same photo saved-LOVE that ring!!!!! Of course, if I remember right it's pink and colorless diamonds used on it and I'm always a sucker for pink diamonds! :love:

OK- going back to your CAD-now I understand David's numbers on it. He's using half pointers (.8mm) up to 1.3mm (1 pointers) for the melee. Are you OK with the feel of that much diamond pave between your fingers? I know they bother me, so I will usually stop pave at the sides because of it. Something like where the pave stops on the shank in this photo. It isn't really seen anyway at the back. Even if you opt for all pave I'd still leave a small section in the back in case you ever needed to resize it.

PinkJewel great analysis, thanks for deciphering those numbers for me, I thought they were related to the ring's dimensions! I like the idea of leaving a section at the back without pave, when David email me again I'll let him know.
Yes the conch ring is fabulous, naturally they'll use pink and white diamonds as accents, I also love the graduation of pinks so it's more interesting.
Your last ring photo is gorgeous, perhaps you can recreate it with a beautiful large Fiji pearl? :bigsmile:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1450334739|3962569 said:
pinkjewel|1450269522|3962210 said:

PinkJewel great analysis, thanks for deciphering those numbers for me, I thought they were related to the ring's dimensions! I like the idea of leaving a section at the back without pave, when David email me again I'll let him know.
Yes the conch ring is fabulous, naturally they'll use pink and white diamonds as accents, I also love the graduation of pinks so it's more interesting.
Your last ring photo is gorgeous, perhaps you can recreate it with a beautiful large Fiji pearl? :bigsmile:

yes- after I win that great Fiji trip!! ;)) :Up_to_something: :dance:

Purranha

Rough_Rock
Thank you for sharing Lovinggems!!! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results