shape
carat
color
clarity

It would be great if we can upload a 30 sec ..

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
video on SMTR. Would that be very difficult for the Admin to accomplish?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bandwidth ain't free.

We can't even upload one single high-resolution STILL picture onto PS, or any pic that appears any larger than 4 inches wide. :knockout:
Every pic is compressed down to a low-res blurry thing that can appear full size on a iPhone. :knockout:
Why cater to the lowest common denominator! :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Any video, even 10 seconds of very very crappy low resolution, would consume massively-more amounts of expensive memory for Andrey to pay for than a single high-resolution still picture.

I love PS but it seems way behind the times; many places allow full resolution still pics and even video, or at least links to videos.
I think PS should allow links to personal videos, but only after posters click on a thingie that releases PS of liability if a hacker uses their Youtube account to find their location, and steal their bling.
How in the world could any lawyer argue it's PS's fault!?!

Andrey, instead of spending all that money on the summer Vegas party perhaps consider giving us high-res still pic posting capability and video upload capability.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Dancing Fire|1449532968|3958767 said:
video on SMTR. Would that be very difficult for the Admin to accomplish?

Unfortunately, yes. We have been exploring alternatives as we know everyone would like video capability. But for now we don't have an easy solution that protects everyone's privacy.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Kenny, we are in the midst of trying to get higher resolution images. The current site can't support many of the capabilities, so we are in the process of moving the back end.

For videos. The problem is that even with a release of liability waiver, we can (and would) still be sued when inevitably someone was robbed. Defending even an inappropriate lawsuit costs thousands of dollars.

What happens is someone posts a PS video, that links to their personal youtube account. With videos of their children, sometimes the outside of their house, a tour of the interior of their house including electronics, etc. With the money thrown around here there is just no simple way to prevent that kind of privacy intrusion. Nor do we have the time to moderate it.

We are trying to find a solution that would allow uploading of one short video to PS, or some kind of outside hosting site we control. We are doing our best.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shouldn't the privacy concerns be of the poster, not of PS? Like, if I post my YouTube video, then I take responsibility over my privacy and safety?

I have created a YT account just for bling stuff, that isn't tied to my personal life.
I don't worry about my privacy.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1449539775|3958814 said:
Shouldn't the privacy concerns be of the poster, not of PS? Like, if I post my YouTube video, then I take responsibility over my privacy and safety?

I have created a YT account just for bling stuff, that isn't tied to my personal life.

I was wondering about this. If a person creates a separate YT account then is it still possible for people to get their info/location? :confused:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockinruby|1449540206|3958820 said:

I was wondering about this. If a person creates a separate YT account then is it still possible for people to get their info/location? :confused:

That account is all fake info. Like sparkles the frog or something.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a YouTube account but contains no pics or videos. I use it for listening to music and watch YT videos.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Ella. :wavey:

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Dancing Fire|1449540928|3958826 said:

I have a YouTube account but contains no pics or videos. I use it for listening to music and watch YT videos.

Sadly not everyone is that conscientious and we need to protect ourselves. There are many cases of forum owners being sued for less unfortunately. :sick:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ella|1449553591|3958884 said:

Sadly not everyone is that conscientious and we need to protect ourselves. There are many cases of forum owners being sued for less unfortunately. :sick:

Let's say someone posts the link to a YT video from their account that is already public; isn't that already a waive of the forum's responsibility since the link they are posting is also public?

I only bring this up as I was hoping to post a link to one of my YT vids of a fantastic sounding bass guitar amplifier in Kenny's musical bling thread, it's a public channel and I share the vids a lot.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1449566639|3958916 said:

Let's say someone posts the link to a YT video from their account that is already public; isn't that already a waive of the forum's responsibility since the link they are posting is also public?

I only bring this up as I was hoping to post a link to one of my YT vids of a fantastic sounding bass guitar amplifier in Kenny's musical bling thread, it's a public channel and I share the vids a lot.

Yeah, that's the user's fault not forum!

Jordy: technically, you can say, hey type in "xyz" on YT to find this superawesomebass! And that would be fine. It's just way easier to link the URL :/

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1449607756|3959088 said:
Jordy: technically, you can say, hey type in "xyz" on YT to find this superawesomebass!
And that would be fine.
It's just way easier to link the URL :/

Ella, is this true?
Is there actually a legal distinction between posting a link vs. directions to a YT video?

Is posting such directions, as madelise states, fine?
IOW, may we do this?

FWIW even if posting directions (instead of a link) prevents PS from losing a lawsuit it may not prevent the lawsuit itself.
We live very litigious times.
Many scumbags are looking for easy money that they don't have to work for.
PS knowing it would eventually win may not be too comforting since there's it still costs money and time for to PS to defend itself.
And couldn't a scumbag and an accomplice pretend to be robbed, just to sue?

Plus if the story (of the PS member being held up and robbed [or worse] because the crooks found her via a YT video she posted on PS) was horrid and juicy enough the media might pick it up.
This bad press this would harm PS.
It shouldn't, but it would because people are stupid.
But then again maybe the publicity would increase PS traffic and eyeballs are money.

So, Ella is it fine to post directions to a YT video?

(I've reported this post to get Ella's attention.)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I as a YT user, I can upload whatever video I want as long as it doesn't violate their policies.
And as far as I know, there's no policy here that says I can't say "search my username + "diamond" on YouTube!"

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1449621478|3959168 said:
I as a YT user, I can upload whatever video I want as long as it doesn't violate their policies.
And as far as I know, there's no policy here that says I can't say "search my username + "diamond" on YouTube!"

I'm thinking more of what posted (or yet-to-be-posted) policies would protect PS than what currently-posted policies protect me.

Instead of the protecting PS being priority 1, what you're doing is describing a technicality that gets around a PS policy.
Now that you've pointed out that work-around (of posting directions to a video instead of posting a link) let's let admin comment on it.

Now that they have been made aware of the work-around they may change policy to forbid that, or they may allow it.
Admin's call.

Actually, I do hope what you have suggested is allowed.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Sorry everyone, we consider that personal information and it will be removed. I know you all want videos, and we are working on it. But we will not allow links or directions to personal video hosting accounts.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
jordyonbass|1449566639|3958916 said:

No sorry against our policies.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results