clarity

What do you think of Caitlyn Jenner as ‘Woman Of The Year’

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: What do you think of Caitlyn Jenner as ‘Woman Of The Yea

autumngems|1448305853|3953206 said:
Mind-less

As my southern aunt would say: A cat can give birth to kittens in an oven, but that don't make them biscuits.

That's a very insensitive way of describing ones opinion on gender identity.

Opinion, as I said, so you're free to have it. But anyone struggling with these issues would find it a tad callus

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lyra|1448332805|3953388 said:
Well, I see it as a magazine that wants publicity, good or bad, is getting just what it wants. The award doesn't actually mean anything. Good for Caitlyn Jenner bringing awareness, but other than that I have no time for celebrities. I don't usually put them on pedestals. They get paid well for what they do, that should be enough recognition.

I'm pretty sure its just who was the most relevant pop culture female of 2015. You could make the argument she was; I would argue Amy Shumer.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I sincerely doubt she would give it back or decline it, a family of people who are media driven and lets face it make an entire fortune from living off the media aren't going to say no to more attention.

It's Glamour magazine, so does it matter? When she wins sexiest female of the year or a noble prize for something THEN we definitely have something to worry about.... :bigsmile:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

When I read about the award I didn't give it much thought, but then - didn't the Mom of a cop return her daughter's award as a result?
Is Ms.Jenner actually a woman? I thought she was still in process? If she is still in process it seems even stranger because technically she is still a man. But, yes, a tempest in a teapot to be sure.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jimmianne|1448447611|3953967 said:
When I read about the award I didn't give it much thought, but then - didn't the Mom of a cop return her daughter's award as a result?
Is Ms.Jenner actually a woman? I thought she was still in process? If she is still in process it seems even stranger because technically she is still a man. But, yes, a tempest in a teapot to be sure.

A transgendered individual doesn't answer that question based on what "parts" they have. So whether or not she has boy parts or lady parts isn't relevant, at least in her eyes. Their gender is determined by their mental state rather than their genitalia. Just like off of us, their private parts are no ones business lol

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

^I would agree with the fact that one's private parts are no one's business - except we are talking about the Kardashian family here, who's empire is driven almost entirely by shoving their private lives in the public eye..... Not to mention the fact that if you're being called "woman of the year" some folks might care if your anatomy matches the description (even if Caitlyn doesn't thinks that's irrelevant).
I think that in the grand scheme of things, Glamour's Woman of the Year ranks pretty low on the list of honors, so I doubt most people care. Much like People's "sexiest" titles, I think that much of this comes down to publicists, money, etc. Naming Caitlyn was likely a strategic marketing plan to cause controversy, which leads to increased exposure (and potentially increased magazine sales & more money).

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1448460652|3954010 said:
^I would agree with the fact that one's private parts are no one's business - except we are talking about the Kardashian family here, who's empire is driven almost entirely by shoving their private lives in the public eye..... Not to mention the fact that if you're being called "woman of the year" some folks might care if your anatomy matches the description (even if Caitlyn doesn't thinks that's irrelevant).
I think that in the grand scheme of things, Glamour's Woman of the Year ranks pretty low on the list of honors, so I doubt most people care. Much like People's "sexiest" titles, I think that much of this comes down to publicists, money, etc. Naming Caitlyn was likely a strategic marketing plan to cause controversy, which leads to increased exposure (and potentially increased magazine sales & more money).

This. I suspect the folks at Glamour were feeling the heat to do something drastic. Conde Nast mags aren't doing so well these days: http://www.racked.com/2015/11/19/9764406/glamour-layoffs-accessories-design-director

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just my opinion, but I think it's ungracious to decline an award, unless you're making a political statement against the awarding body or against the issues surrounding the award. Generally, to be offered an award is a positive thing, acknowledging that you've done something really good in some way. Obviously this doesn't describe every award or every recipient, but mostly if I was offered an award for something I'd done and it was offered in a spirit of generosity for no other reason than people thought I'd done something worthy, I'd feel a little mean to decline it. Just my opinion.

Regarding the magazine wanting attention etc, and the celebs wanting attention - well, yes. It's the world of celebrity and fashion!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I do not care whether they are he, she or it. My meaning is that you don't give someone an award for Woman of the Year because they had a sex change and put it in the public. That doesn't make them special over the ladies out there risking their lives and dying.
Police, military, fire department, etc........

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

autumngems|1448476359|3954098 said:
I do not care whether they are he, she or it. My meaning is that you don't give someone an award for Woman of the Year because they had a sex change and put it in the public. That doesn't make them special over the ladies out there risking their lives and dying.
Police, military, fire department, etc........

Ignoring the fact the "kittens in the oven " and "he she or it", is very insensitive... I'm perfectly fine if their definishion of woman of the year is " pop culture woman of the year" or something in that vein, because there is a place for that in society just as much as there is for heroic awards for valor or bravery. I wouldn't expect the Pulitzer prize winner to necessary win a glamor magaze award, and vice versa

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Basically, I can't think of any reason why Caitlyn should have declined this award. It was offered to her - she didn't make them give it - and for me at least there is no clear reason why she shouldn't take it. Most people who are offered awards take them.

Just my opinion.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jambalaya|1448480464|3954126 said:
Basically, I can't think of any reason why Caitlyn should have declined this award. It was offered to her - she didn't make them give it - and for me at least there is no clear reason why she shouldn't take it. Most people who are offered awards take them.

Just my opinion.

I agree the onus shouldn't fall on the recipient to decide who gets an award.

Q

Queenie60

I don't care one way or the other. IMO it's just more Kardashian/Jenner publicity.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

It doesn't really matter if she accepted or declined - heck, from the responses here, it doesn't really matter who gets the darn award in the first place.... I think that declining was only mentioned because there are probably tons of actual women who were perhaps more deserving of such an award (as opposed to Caitlyn, who was probably selected mostly due to her current place in the spotlight).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I had never even heard of this award. LOL. Like others have said it is not a weighty award and one should just take it for what it is. Good for Caitlyn for finally feeling free enough to embrace who she really is and for doing good for the transgender community by coming out publicly with her struggle and overcoming obstacles to get to where she is now.

As Niel wrote there are many other awards that honor bravery and courage. Not all awards have to represent everything.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I give up

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results