shape
carat
color
clarity

Are boy short bathing suits appropriate for 40+ women?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys are so awesome I don't know what I'd do without PS!

I'm going to try the 2 boyshort bathings suits I own (but never worn) again today and OWN what I think I look like, focus on the positives, and wear them with confidence, even though my body is far from perfect.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1426881529|3850249 said:
CJ2008|1426876103|3850172 said:
missy|1426876003|3850169 said:
But from the back...that same highness that looks good in the front pinches my flabby butt cheeks.

I think a short skirt can be very flattering for covering back of leg and butt issues. :oops:

You'd think so, Missy, it's the logical thing...but on me I don't think it looks good...

It could be that I just hate skirts...

Shorts are more athletic/edgy feeling to me...maybe that's why I feel more comfortable in them?

But yes, I do agree with you.

I tend to agree and I don't care for the swim skirts either.
I think that the boy shorts look fine and I don't think that they are meant specifically for a younger crowd. We al have different styles that work for us and the key is knowing what works and what doesn't. I'm in my mid-40's and haven't given up the bikini yet, although I am debating about whether or not to buy a stylish one-piece for our trip to Sea World over Spring Break.
We have a pool. Whenever I swim with kids, I wear a rash guard. There are some really beautiful choices out there. I love the fact that I can wear fewer chemicals on my skin too because most of them are spf 50 - spf 100.

I find it more difficult to look good in a one piece than a two piece. I have no idea what that is all about, but I think it is because there is less structure in the one piece swimsuits.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1426883923|3850269 said:
missy|1426882183|3850257 said:
In a water amusement park I would definitely opt for the one piece momhappy. I think it would be more comfortable and better all around if you kwim.

Yup - agreed! =) We have made a reservation at Discovery Cove, which means that we will be doing water activities pretty much all day (including swimming with dolphins). I just think that a one-piece would be more appropriate. I'm not having much luck so far finding one though - I've already ordered 5 and sent them all back. I've got 3 more on the way and I might try to get to the mall next week to try some on in person.

MH:

I know swimwear is very personal--but this one is a knockout. In pink. Looks fabu and fits like a glove. A Speedo. Who knew?

http://www.speedousa.com/product/index.jsp?productId=19432896&view=all&cp=3124324.3128417.11859606.3131375

cheers--Sharon

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone know of any good and reasonably price boyshorts for swim (either the swim shorts alone, or as a one-piece) please do tell!
I had a one piece with boyshorts (newport news?) that I loved and wore until it wore out, haven't found a replacement.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I think Lands End has some options.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
"Are boy short bathing suits appropriate for 40+ women"- absolutely!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
16ocean|1427170302|3851640 said:
"Are boy short bathing suits appropriate for 40+ women"- absolutely!

+10000

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm usually VERY uncomfortable in a swimsuit, but this year I bought a flattering tankini top and paired it with 8" board shorts and LOVE IT! It's very tomboyish, which suits me (see what I did there?) just fine. The shorts are like guys' swim trunks (loose) only cute and more girly and not as long.

The more I go out and really pay attention, the more I find that confidence is the key to looking good and comfortable in your clothes. So I say go for it!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like board shorts and tankini top too--when I got my set a couple years ago it really made a difference in how I felt. Not to say it's inappropriate or anything, I'm just more comfortable around other people, little kids I don't know, and adults I don't know, more covered.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I finally found a suitable one-piece - after trying on about a dozen :shock: It's not exactly a one-piece (more like a mono-kini) and even though my DH initially said "no way!" to a one-piece, he approves of the mono-kini. I also found a really cute Tommy Bahama cover-up.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Athleta has some options too. I just ordered a pair - very, very flattering except for one thing: inside the short/bathing suit there's a panty-type material that is cut like panty - meaning it cuts right through your butt and gives you panty lines.

It's like, what are they thinking? Why wouldn't they make the panty either the same shape as the short or even a thong (although I realize that may be a harder sell, as not everyone likes thongs).

I like them so much I'm actually considering cutting that material out...not sure...they're $58 so it's bugging me a little bit to have to do that.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, I got a pair of shorts with the panty part like your talking about and I did cut it out. Turned out to be a bad move -- the shorts move around a lot, especially in the water, and you might end up showing a bit more than you planned, especially if you're going to be at all active in the water. Maybe you could cut it out and wear your own thong underneath if you found one in quick drying material?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1427387108|3852743 said:
CJ, I got a pair of shorts with the panty part like your talking about and I did cut it out. Turned out to be a bad move -- the shorts move around a lot, especially in the water, and you might end up showing a bit more than you planned, especially if you're going to be at all active in the water. Maybe you could cut it out and wear your own thong underneath if you found one in quick drying material?

Thanks for the warning Dee*Jay.

Guess they do serve a purpose then, huh?

But damn why not make them so they don't create a line?

One difference with me I hardly ever go in the water at all...so if I'm just lounging around and maybe go in the water but for like a quick dip, think it'd be OK? I could also take them to the tailors and see if they could turn into a thong?

Heck I hardly every go to the beach haha I just want to flattering options for the 2x a year I MIGHT go ::) I hate getting caught last minute and wearing the same unflattering bathing suit from 2 years ago.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1427387353|3852745 said:

One difference with me I hardly ever go in the water at all...so if I'm just lounging around and maybe go in the water but for like a quick dip, think it'd be OK? I could also take them to the tailors and see if they could turn into a thong?

Heck I hardly every go to the beach haha I just want to flattering options for the 2x a year I MIGHT go ::) I hate getting caught last minute and wearing the same unflattering bathing suit from 2 years ago.

I found that the shorts would float up while I was getting in the pool (just walking down the stairs) and also while I was just standing around in the water. Depending on how the elastic is maybe your tailor can just take it out so you still have full coverage but it's not cutting in?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1427389785|3852764 said:
CJ2008|1427387353|3852745 said:

I found that the shorts would float up while I was getting in the pool (just walking down the stairs) and also while I was just standing around in the water. Depending on how the elastic is maybe your tailor can just take it out so you still have full coverage but it's not cutting in?

Dee*Jay just to make sure we're talking about the same kinds of shorts...these are the ones I'm talking about

shorts.jpg

The way they fit around my thighs I can't see how they'd float up...but there IS a little bit of fabric that could ride up just a bit I guess. I just wanted you to see that it's not a short like this

shorts2.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine are these (but navy) and they don't float up when I get in the water. They're really soft/silky fabric and dry super fast. They don't have a bottom inside, but they don't expose anything either. I don't wear anything under and they don't ride up. The *only* thing I am not thrilled w/is the fly part-where the zipper would be on a pair of pants, it's fabric that folds/accordians over, and then there is a drawstring--but that "zipper" area sticks out sometimes-the fabric is attached on both sides so nothing could ever show, it just looks dorky. My tankini top floats more-ha it looks like I have balloons inside my top when I'm swimming.

115601a.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ and Packrat, OK, those shorts are not at loose as the ones I was thinking of. Mine have a bit of a flared flowy leg (more like some styles of running shorts -- if that makes any sense) but the ones in these pics look look they would definitely stay put much better.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay, yes, I thought maybe your shorts were a little loose/flared around the leg...mine are somewhat tight on the thigh...so I think even if they did flare up a little it would not raise too much

Thanks though for pointing that out because I would not have realized the potential of that happening.

Packrat I think you're in no danger of those shorts coming up too much...the leg is quite long.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah, I know they don't float up-I've worn them many times. I was just showing what I have to show that they don't float up and they're not real wide in the leg.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got it, thanks Packrat! :wavey:

BTW for anyone else who's interested, JC Penney has some boy short options too, that fully cover the butt.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Some of the surfing companies, like Rip Curl and O'Neil make board shorts that don't float up.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks iluvcarats

Believe or not, board shorts are not flattering on me. Even though my legs are not great, they look better if I show more of them rather than less. Plus I'm somewhat "hippy" so board shorts don't lay quite right on me.

But thanks, I know these look great on many people - and if you're really active in the water, they're the way to go...

maryanderson

Rough_Rock
Yes...It will cool and casual for them. But to find right swimsuit is not so easy so I’m here to help and have selected some of the best bathing suits.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I think that anything that looks flattering is age-appropriate. Just because you're over 40 doesn't mean you should cover your tummy. If it looks good, be proud and show it off! I think a big part of looking good in a bathing suit is confidence.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boy short bathing suits are only appropriate for the 40+ women who want to go topless.

I've never seen a short boy bathing suit with a top ... well not since the 1910s.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, if your best feature is your tummy and you look better showing more leg than less, I'm thinking you can rock a low rise bikini! If you've got it, show it OFF. We ain't got that many years left. Life is too short. So I guess you know my answer is an emphatic YES if you like how it looks on you. I'm thinking go less material even.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results