shape
carat
color
clarity

Esperanza Diamond- Must read for pricescopers!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MikeBotha|1444766273|3937908 said:
JDDN|1444763224|3937891 said:
Jim Summa|1444502257|3937020 said:
fullsizerender__3__4.jpg

Pictured are 3 views of the Esperanza, on the cutter's bench, in the early stages of cutting at Stanley Jewelers in Little Rock. I hope this helps people visualize the stone's final shape.

I was wondering how Mike determined the cut of Esperanza? I'm sure it's shape is in part determined by the rough, however, how does a cutter "design" the actual cut and faceting pattern? It's such a unique cut that my mind is curious how she was conceptualized. The drawing is so fascinating to me because of the detailed angles and lines.

The rough shape of the Esperanza looked like a sweet potato or one of those long mangos with one point jutting upwards slightly.When I saw the rough I noticed it was slightly flattened on one side and I figured that we need to go with I triangular configuration rather than the normal cylindrical profile of the briolette design- that's where the triolette design came into play. The design is like three emerald shapes in the centre with their tables and crowns visible, flanked on either side by 3 sets of trapezoids which taper to a point on either end. The result of the design is 7 sets of seven facets on each of the sides of the triolette for a total of 147 facets and two tiny culet like facets on the points to prevent chipping. The Esperanza is designed to be mounted in such a way that it is being held in position by the two points with one of the flat surfaces facing outward. :geek:
Mike- first congratulations on a historic and ultra challenging project!

Is the triolette something you have executed before or did you design the cut specifically for this rough? I don't think I have ever heard of it before.

Evert - nice video!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I met the lovely Esperanza last night at the Philadelphia-area AGS Guild meeting. Oh la la!

She is such unique and beautiful work. A labor of love, creativity, inspiration and extremely skillful polishing.

Sincere thanks to Mike Botha for introducing me and inviting comments on his presentation. Honored to be there. Humbled to participate. SO refreshing to hear uniform philosophies and values as it relates to this craft. "Quality is a more difficult path."

Appreciation to Meier Opalek, AGS Guild Coordinator, for organizing, and Lester Martin Jewelers for hosting. Fun and uplifting.

Bravo Evert, Mike and all involved. Brava, Lady Esperanza!

img_6668-800.jpg

Jim Summa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Produced by Arkansas Parks & Tourism about the Esperanza diamond and The Craters of Diamonds state park, where it was found.

https://youtu.be/afIlEy3Q5Hw

Evert P Botha

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hey Jim,

Please share some pics from your Esperanza event...

Jim Summa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This diamond must be seen in person. Evert do you have the tour schedule available yet?
anne___es_20151120_100729-1_0.jpg

Evert P Botha

Rough_Rock
Trade
She's at Summa Jewelers the rest of the week! The rest of the schedule...

December 9th - 28th Stanley Jewelers Gemologist, North Little Rock AR

January 13th -17th Black, Starr & Frost, Newport Beach CA (Meet the Cutter Event)

January 20th – 24th Black, Starr & Frost, Phoenix AZ (Meet the Cutter Event)

January 27th – 31st Molina Fine Jewelers, Phoenix AZ

February 3rd – 7th Whiteflash, Houston TX

February 10th – 14th Underwood’s San Marco, Jacksonville FL

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The folks in Boston would love to see it! Fly north! Great job and wonderful story! Congratulations to all.

Jim Summa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
jim_and_kid.jpg

Thanks Jeff! It sure has been fun showing this diamond. The mayor came by to see it today and while I was showing it to him this little boy walked up and said "Wow! You have COOL goggles!" He got to see the goggles and the Esperanza diamond. For the rest of you in St. Louis area we are open till 4, then off to her next stop (if I don't sell her first) Stanley Jeweler's in Little Rock, Arkansas.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My DD and I had a great time lusting over this diamond! Simply spectacular as we are still at a loss for words to describe its beauty.

_35325.jpg

_35326.jpg

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Awesome design. Very synergistic with the stone. Congrats to the Team!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

D_

Shiny_Rock
The pendant looks really great.

Pardon my ignorance.
As said above - the diamond must be seen in person. I'm assuming the pictures/videos my not fully capture its beauty.
Could someone please enlighten me (since I won't be able to see it in person) how/why this particular diamond/cut is special (besides its size and the process that goes into designing it)?
How does it perform compare to other types of cuts? (a point of reference may help e.g. it performs slightly like oval, on certain parts and emerald/step cut on another etc.)
And is it wholly symmetrical? or 1 side (from the pictures it seems) is supposed to be slightly "fatter/more protruding" than the opposite side? If there is a more protruding side, which side is that supposed to be? back side?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
D_|1450897807|3965377 said:
The pendant looks really great.

Pardon my ignorance.
As said above - the diamond must be seen in person. I'm assuming the pictures/videos my not fully capture its beauty.
Could someone please enlighten me (since I won't be able to see it in person) how/why this particular diamond/cut is special (besides its size and the process that goes into designing it)?
How does it perform compare to other types of cuts? (a point of reference may help e.g. it performs slightly like oval, on certain parts and emerald/step cut on another etc.)
And is it wholly symmetrical? or 1 side (from the pictures it seems) is supposed to be slightly "fatter/more protruding" than the opposite side? If there is a more protruding side, which side is that supposed to be? back side?
I don't want to speak for Evert or Mike but this particular diamond is about something other than strict light performance. I think if that was the goal, it would have been cut into a different shape.

Rather, this is a historic diamond - the most important diamond to ever come out of the earth in the USA. And it's entire journey from mine to finished piece is all-American.

The choice of shape and facet arrangement was clearly made to maximize the yeild from this unusually shaped crystal, and to emphasize the uniqueness of the find. Executing such a technically challenging cut is nothing short of extraordinary, which is also in keeping with the extremely special nature of this particular gem.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gosh, the diamond is exciting and beautiful. The pendant looks, to me, like a corporate logo.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, it’s completely symmetrical down the long axis.

The stone is designed to be bright from a wide range of angles, not just straight down the table like a traditional sort of design. In fact, there is no table. The result is a very different effect than what people are accustomed to with diamonds. There isn’t a ‘best’ direction that focuses all of the incoming light but the tradeoff is that it’s bright from nearly every direction. Even the back. Even the ends. It's a very different sort of performance than what's generally discussed here. That’s what leads nearly everyone who see it to move it around in their hand and play with it. People tend to visually dive into it and it’s like nothing they’ve ever seen before. That’s also why it’s so hard to photograph and to design a mounting. With a more traditional cut, it’s easy to decide what direction to photograph and, when mounting, which direction is the front. With Esperanza, it could be almost anything. For example, in negotiating the setting design, one of the options was holding it with a band around the center or a central prong arrangement so that the two culets would be exposed. It would have been a very different look from the tension mounting that was finally chosen.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tourmaline|1450899507|3965391 said:
Gosh, the diamond is exciting and beautiful. The pendant looks, to me, like a corporate logo.
The pieces on the side have the same cross section as the stone with a small diamond at the end of each. They're designed to mimic the light coming out of the stone from all directions. The pendant has a very 3-dimensional look to it as well.

(But it would be a very cool logo)

D_

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the explanation, Everyone!

denverappraiser|1450899731|3965396 said:
The pieces on the side have the same cross section as the stone with a small diamond at the end of each. They're designed to mimic the light coming out of the stone from all directions. The pendant has a very 3-dimensional look to it as well.

Ah I missed that aspect the first time around, knowing that makes it looks even more stunning.
Was there a CAD etc. of the other proposed settings somewhere?

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
How cool would it have been if it were possible to have the diamond able to spin freely in that mount....... :love: :love:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is stunning in her pendant...the whole piece is out of this world. Makes my heart pitter patter..... :love:

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Diamond beautiful - pendant not so much needs a re think

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am very pleased to announce that Whiteflash will have the honor of hosting Esperanza next month!

Press release here:
http://californianewswire.com/whiteflash-selected-to-host-historic-esperanza-diamond-on-cross-country-tour/

In conjunction with this historic event, Whiteflash plans to give away an expense paid trip for two to Houston to see Esperanza in person. This will be a pricescope exclusive, and limited to active pricescope members.

So be thinking about whether you are going to bring your SO or a fellow pricescope Bestie :think:

More details will be forthcoming soon - so stay tuned!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Texas Leaguer|1453242294|3978177 said:
I am very pleased to announce that Whiteflash will have the honor of hosting Esperanza next month!

Press release here:
http://californianewswire.com/whiteflash-selected-to-host-historic-esperanza-diamond-on-cross-country-tour/

In conjunction with this historic event, Whiteflash plans to give away an expense paid trip for two to Houston to see Esperanza in person. This will be a pricescope exclusive, and limited to active pricescope members.

So be thinking about whether you are going to bring your SO or a fellow pricescope Bestie :think:

Anxiously awaiting the details!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

Press release here:

Oh wow, I'm so in! :appl: :appl: :appl:

ponder

Brilliant_Rock

Press release here:

For us local to WF, will we need an appointment to view her or will we be able to just drop on by?

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Press release here:

Wow! What a generous offer Bryan. Someone is going to have a great trip and a very unique opportunity. Wish the diamond was making a trip up north... It sure is different!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I GOT TO SEE THE ESPERANZA! Scratch that. I GOT TO WEAR HER! and I got to cut a facet on a diamond!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results