carat
color
clarity

Holiday Menu suggestions...

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Holiday Cranberries

2 Cups Apple Juice
1/2 Cup Apple Jack (apple-flavored brandy)
1 Cinnamon Stick
3 Whole Cloves
2 Cups Dried Berries or Chopped Dried Mixed Fruit
1 Cup Sugar
12 oz Package Fresh Cranberries

In large saucepan, combine apple juice, apple jack and spices; bring to simmer.
Lower heat; add dried fruit.
Let stand 8 to 10 minutes.
Stir in sugar; add cranberries.
Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until cranberries burst, about 15 minutes.
Let cool; cover and chill.
Keeps for 4 days refrigerated.

*Family members and friends always request this dish. Even my father, who typically only likes the gelled cranberry sauce with no real cranberry bits, loves it :lickout: I have made this dish without the apple jack and it tastes super great. When this dish is made with the apple jack it is spectacular!

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
I made a test-version, in anticipation of it being a side dish for Thanksgiving, of this brussel sprouts dish tonight and it was pretty tasty:

Made up recipe so I haven't any exact measurements - I just eyeballed it.

3 pieces thick cut bacon, sliced into 1/2 pieces
8-10 oz sliced mushrooms
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 cups sliced or shredded brussel sprouts
1-2 cloves chopped garlic
Black pepper
Salt optional since you have th bacon already

In a large sauté pan, fry bacon until almost crispy, do not remove bacon nor the fat from the pan. Add mushrooms, onions, brussel sprouts and saute until onions are clear. Add garlic and pepper to taste. Continue sautéing until onions are a bit carmelized. Add salt at the end if you feel it's needed.

Paz

Rough_Rock
Bumping for the 2015 Holiday Season :dance:

What does everyone have planned for Thanksgiving this year? Any new recipes to try out?

I'm waitting to hear back from my SIL, as she is hosting for our family this year and has final say on what we're making. DH and I will *probably* make the greenbean casserole, glazed carrots, deviled eggs, apple pie, chocolate cream pie, and the yorkshire pudding. :lickout:

There were a few new recipes I had wanted to try for pecan pie, gnocci with squash puree, and homemade cranberry chutney, but they'll have to wait for another time. My brother's family are not adventerous eaters, and cling to tradition, especially during the holidays! :roll:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We switched to a low carb lifestyle so that's going to be our challenge for the holiday.

We do cheat meals (not entire days just meals) so I am thinking this may be a cheat meal. At least in part. But I am still going to try to make it as low carb as possible.

We are also having a very small holiday.

Small 8lb Turkey. Cooked just like the Ina Garten's Perfect Chicken recipe. Stuffed with Garlic, Lemon, Thyme
Carrots, Brussel Sprouts, Onions under the bird (no fennel or potatoes).

Candied sweet potatoes and butternut squash: Erythritol, maple flavoring, butter, dried ginger nutmeg and cinnamon. SALT (replacing half the sweet potatoes with butternut squash and replacing the sweetner cuts this down to managable as long as it's eaten in moderation). I would have left these out entirely, but they are my MIL's favorite part.

Traditional Stuffing—Bread cubes, celery, onion, butter, sage, chicken broth, chicken apple sausage, pecans, dried cranberries, and ground flax seeds. (can't low carb this but the flax seeds will cut down on the amount of bread and will raise the fiber in the dish making it healthier. Also I will be using half sourdough bread cubes as sourdough is much better than regular white bread in terms of the glycemic index).

Cranberry Sauce (one bag) made with Erythritol and orange zest instead of orange juice and sugar (cuts the carbs in half)

Gravy thickened with regular flour rue, there are 6 grams of carbohydrate per tablespoon of regular flour and I only need 2 TBS for all the gravy. It is negligible and acceptable.

We are doing a fantastic low carb cheesecake for dessert. Almond flour shortbread crust with orange zest. And Erythritol for the sweetener.

That's our Thanksgiving.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a pretty traditional Thanksgiving meal...it's usually the same year after year....turkey, ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potato souffle (this is very yummy), stuffing, corn, green bean casserole and bread, followed up by pumpkin pie with whipped topping :lickout:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1447574604|3949858 said:
We switched to a low carb lifestyle so that's going to be our challenge for the holiday.

We do cheat meals (not entire days just meals) so I am thinking this may be a cheat meal. At least in part. But I am still going to try to make it as low carb as possible.

Small 8lb Turkey. Cooked just like the Ina Garten's Perfect Chicken recipe. Stuffed with Garlic, Lemon, Thyme

Candied sweet potatoes and butternut squash: Erythritol, maple flavoring, butter, dried ginger nutmeg and cinnamon. SALT (replacing half the sweet potatoes with butternut squash and replacing the sweetner cuts this down to managable as long as it's eaten in moderation). I would have left these out entirely, but they are my MIL's favorite part.

Traditional Stuffing—Bread cubes, celery, onion, butter, sage, chicken broth, chicken apple sausage, pecans, dried cranberries, and ground flax seeds. (can't low carb this but the flax seeds will cut down on the amount of bread and will raise the fiber in the dish making it healthier. Also I will be using half sourdough bread cubes as sourdough is much better than regular white bread in terms of the glycemic index).

Cranberry Sauce (one bag) made with Erythritol and orange zest instead of orange juice and sugar (cuts the carbs in half)

Gravy thickened with regular flour rue, there are 6 grams of carbohydrate per tablespoon of regular flour and I only need 2 TBS for all the gravy. It is negligible and acceptable.

We are doing a fantastic low carb cheesecake for dessert. Almond flour shortbread crust with orange zest. And Erythritol for the sweetener.

That's our Thanksgiving.

Ooh I love this Gypsy. I wish I could convince my dh to switch to a low carb thanksgiving. He can be so stubborn at times and when it comes to his cooking he won't bend on these things. Once many years ago he tried a whole wheat flour crust for his apple pie and he hated the way it came out and that was the last of his being flexible to my healthier ideas for the holiday meals LOL.
Just in case could I ask you for the recipe link to the low carb cheesecake? If he has time to experiment before the actual holiday he will be more open to trying the recipe. He just doesn't want to serve our guests anything before he tries it first. Thanks!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
We eat fairly low-carb too (on a regular basis), but not on Thanksgiving because that's not a meal that I'm willing to compromise :D I do the same thing menu every year: turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy, stuffing, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes (for my DH since he's the only one who likes them), and rolls. The only thing that varies is the dessert, which I haven't figured out yet.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband love corn souffle/corn pudding. The problem is that his mother's recipe is disgusting and rare cooks up evenly. Which means it is usually raw in the middle (gag.) Do any of you make this? Any good recipes to share?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1447600511|3949929 said:
My husband love corn souffle/corn pudding. The problem is that his mother's recipe is disgusting and rare cooks up evenly. Which means it is usually raw in the middle (gag.) Do any of you make this? Any good recipes to share?

I make a traditional corn meal soufflé (Nachynka). I can share the recipe if you like.

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's our Thanksgiving.

Have you tried these dishes before with your low carb version (flax and sweetener?) or is it your first try?

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Brine your turkey before roasting for a juicy, flavorful bird.

Add an onion and a couple cloves of garlic to the pot when you're boiling your potatoes for mashed potatoes. It adds subtle flavor without added fat (the meal is already so heavy!). Just mash them into the potatoes. You hardly know they're there, but give the mash a little bit more 'oomph'. I also add Parmesan to my mash, because it gives a delicious buttery flavor and some saltiness!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy said:
So we roasted the brussel sprouts tonight. I used Ina Garten's recipe and didn't like how they turned out. I like my brussel sprouts still a bit crunchy. So I am wondering if I have to roast them for less time at a higher heat maybe?

I want them not mushy or cooked in the center. Also I prefer them halved not whole. They get more seasoning.

Recommendations appreciated.

I love blanching Brussels sprouts to keep them crisp (I despise mushy veg, too). Then I cut them in half and give them a quick pan sear with a bit of butter, garlic, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper to give them some color and flavor.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
tuffyluvr|1447738967|3950654 said:

Add an onion and a couple cloves of garlic to the pot when you're boiling your potatoes for mashed potatoes. It adds subtle flavor without added fat (the meal is already so heavy!). Just mash them into the potatoes. You hardly know they're there, but give the mash a little bit more 'oomph'. I also add Parmesan to my mash, because it gives a delicious buttery flavor and some saltiness!

Great tips! :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1447690382|3950302 said:

That's our Thanksgiving.

Have you tried these dishes before with your low carb version (flax and sweetener?) or is it your first try?

First try on the cranberry sauce and sweet potatoes. But I've been using the sweetner for months and have figured out the conversions with it.
I've made the cheesecake. It's YUMMY.
The turkey is my standard turkey recipe. Just not using potatoes under it this year and using butternut squash instead under the Turkey. So very small deviation. The recipe itself is low carb.
Stuffing is my standard stuffing. I've used sourdough before. I like only 1/2 sourdough, 1/2 white generally. And I've been using the flax seed a lot over the last few months, but this will be my first time adding it to the stuffing. It's super versatile though and undetectable. We use it instead of breadcrumbs in meatballs and meatloaf, etc.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1447594767|3949907 said:
Just in case could I ask you for the recipe link to the low carb cheesecake? If he has time to experiment before the actual holiday he will be more open to trying the recipe. He just doesn't want to serve our guests anything before he tries it first. Thanks!

I'm not a fan the low carbohydrate cheesecake recipes I've tried. So I decided to adapt my favorite standard cheesecake recipe. And it worked out great.

This is the basic recipe:
http://www.food.com/recipe/new-york-style-cheesecake-on-shortbread-crust-14561

The changes I make are as follows:

I substitute this for the crust: http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2013/03/lemon-almond-shortbread-cookies-low-carb-gluten-free.html One batch of it works great. I use orange zest personally instead of lemon though. You bake it before adding cheesecake mixture in.

And then to the cheesecake filling recipe I make only one modification: I substitute the Erythritol in a 1:1 ratio for the sugar. So I use 1 3/4 cups Erythritol instead of the same amount of sugar.

You have to careful with the Erythritol. Read the reviews on it. For some people (like me) it leaves a cooling sensation in your mouth that can be unpleasant. I found that when I use it in a 1:1 ratio it doesn't happen as much. But most recipes will use more Erythritol as it is not as sweet (in their opinion) as sugar.

It's a complicated recipe, but worth it.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think if you are buying a regular (read: non heritage, non stuffed, grocery store bird) turkey, this is the single best thing you can do! I am an Alton Brown fan(atic?) but any brine recipe is still good.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe.html

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
The Costco ham link from the first post doesn't work anymore- is it just a Kirkland brand ham? I maybe would give Costco ham a try with those kind of reviews. I always do honeybaked.

Does anyone have an updated green bean recipe that is a hit? I have done them with toasted almonds and a homemade crème sauce, but, I dunno, I think my family like the cambells French onion one just as much, so low return on my efforts, lol.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
apacherose|1447784803|3950840 said:
The Costco ham link from the first post doesn't work anymore- is it just a Kirkland brand ham? I maybe would give Costco ham a try with those kind of reviews. I always do honeybaked.

Does anyone have an updated green bean recipe that is a hit? I have done them with toasted almonds and a homemade crème sauce, but, I dunno, I think my family like the cambells French onion one just as much, so low return on my efforts, lol.

No, it's their Kirklan Master Carve Ham. BEST HAM EVER.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=7005.0
http://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/*Kirkland-Signature-Master-Carve-Boneless-Ham,-10-lb-avg-wt.product.11896920.html

My Costco does half hams now. We just found out we are having additional guests so... I may be adding a half ham to the menu.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Rockinruby said:

Great tips! :wavey:

Thank you!!! [emoji4]

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
telephone89 said:

I think if you are buying a regular (read: non heritage, non stuffed, grocery store bird) turkey, this is the single best thing you can do! I am an Alton Brown fan(atic?) but any brine recipe is still good.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe.html

I love Alton too!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
tuffyluvr|1447821792|3951126 said:
telephone89 said:

I love Alton too!

Me too.
We brine our birds. It's a PITA. But worth it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1447743180|3950666 said:
missy|1447594767|3949907 said:

I'm not a fan the low carbohydrate cheesecake recipes I've tried. So I decided to adapt my favorite standard cheesecake recipe. And it worked out great.

This is the basic recipe:
http://www.food.com/recipe/new-york-style-cheesecake-on-shortbread-crust-14561

The changes I make are as follows:

I substitute this for the crust: http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2013/03/lemon-almond-shortbread-cookies-low-carb-gluten-free.html One batch of it works great. I use orange zest personally instead of lemon though. You bake it before adding cheesecake mixture in.

And then to the cheesecake filling recipe I make only one modification: I substitute the Erythritol in a 1:1 ratio for the sugar. So I use 1 3/4 cups Erythritol instead of the same amount of sugar.

You have to careful with the Erythritol. Read the reviews on it. For some people (like me) it leaves a cooling sensation in your mouth that can be unpleasant. I found that when I use it in a 1:1 ratio it doesn't happen as much. But most recipes will use more Erythritol as it is not as sweet (in their opinion) as sugar.

It's a complicated recipe, but worth it.

Thank you Gypsy! Sharing this recipe with Greg and if he makes it I will share the results here. Thanks so much!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1447690288|3950300 said:

I make a traditional corn meal soufflé (Nachynka). I can share the recipe if you like.

cheers--Sharon
Hi Sharon,

Yes please! I would really appreciate it!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1447856741|3951253 said:

cheers--Sharon
Hi Sharon,

Yes please! I would really appreciate it!

No problem I will find it and post. Just to let you know--it is made with cornmeal with no added canned corn--so no big "bits". :bigsmile: Don't want to you be disappointed when you read the recipe. But it is "my" season favorite!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I make a traditional corn meal soufflé (Nachynka). I can share the recipe if you like.cheers--Sharon
Hi Sharon, Yes please! I would really appreciate it!

House Cat: here you are. It is rich but delicious. Keep well in the fridge.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). I use a soufflé dish (casserole dish) that is 3.75 inches deep and 6.5 inches wide.

1/2 cup butter
1 cup (dry) cornmeal
3 1/2 cups whole milk. Heated but not scalding.
1 white onion, diced
1 c whipping cream
3 eggs. Beaten.
salt and pepper to taste.

-Beat eggs and whipping cream together in a separate bowl and set aside.
-In a medium saucepan (pot), melt butter and sauté onions. Add the cornmeal and using a whisk, stir app. 5 minutes. It appears crumbly.
-Then add pre-heated milk to this cornmeal onion mixture in the saucepan and whisk until smooth. It should feel a bit thick to stir. Medium heat.
-Retrieve the egg/whipping crème mixture you've set aside. You have to add the egg/whipping crème mixture slowly to the heated cornmeal product, otherwise the egg will curdle. To prevent this, I get another bowl and using a measuring cup I scoop out app. one cup of the egg mixture and put it into the bowl. Then I scoop out app. 1 cup of the heated cornmeal mixture from the saucepan, and whisk them together in the separate bowl. Once combined, then dump it all back into the saucepan. Repeat with a fresh cup of egg mixture.....until you are finished. One everything is amalgamated increase the heat just a little and stir continuously until the Kolasha is very thick. Take off heat immediately and place in a greased soufflé or casserole dish. Bake one hour.

I've never had a soupy soufflé--hope you don't either!! :lickout: :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1447878090|3951412 said:

I make a traditional corn meal soufflé (Nachynka). I can share the recipe if you like.cheers--Sharon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). I use a soufflé dish (casserole dish) that is 3.75 inches deep and 6.5 inches wide.

1/2 cup butter
1 cup (dry) cornmeal
1 white onion, diced
1 c whipping cream
3 eggs. Beaten.

-In a medium saucepan (pot), melt butter and sauté onions. Add the cornmeal and using a whisk, stir app. 5 minutes. It appears crumbly.
-Then add pre-heated milk to this cornmeal onion mixture in the saucepan and whisk until smooth. It should feel a bit thick to stir. Medium heat.
-Retrieve the egg/whipping crème mixture you've set aside. You have to add the egg/whipping crème mixture slowly to the heated cornmeal product, otherwise the egg will curdle. To prevent this, I get another bowl and using a measuring cup I scoop out app. one cup of the egg mixture and put it into the bowl. Then I scoop out app. 1 cup of the heated cornmeal mixture from the saucepan, and whisk them together in the separate bowl. Once combined, then dump it all back into the saucepan. Repeat with a fresh cup of egg mixture.....until you are finished. One everything is amalgamated increase the heat just a little and stir continuously until the Kolasha is very thick. Take off heat immediately and place in a greased soufflé or casserole dish. Bake one hour.

cheers--Sharon
Thank you Sharon!! This sounds delicious! I think DH will love it!!! :appl: :lickout:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I love the idea of adding the onion & garlic to the potato water - I don't know why I didn't think of that before :D
Thanks for sharing:)

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
canuk-gal said:

1/2 cup butter
1 cup (dry) cornmeal
1 white onion, diced
1 c whipping cream
3 eggs. Beaten.

cheers--Sharon

Oh my gosh, this sounds delicious!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
momhappy said:

I love the idea of adding the onion & garlic to the potato water - I don't know why I didn't think of that before :D
Thanks for sharing:)

Thanks! It really does make wonderful, subtly flavorful potatoes--even better than using broth. It's my mom's trick, and growing up I never knew why her potatoes tasted soooo much better than any of the others I tried.

Just make sure you peel the tough outer layer (or two) off the onion and cut the little woody bits off the bottom of the garlic. If you do that then everything will mash right in and the potatoes will be totally smooth. I do one medium to large onion and 2-3 cloves of garlic per 2-3lbs of potatoes, just for reference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results