shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl drop with diamond hoops, like Kate Middleton!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
YC|1445698174|3941613 said:
Bweaves, can you share with me where you got the eye pins (which are attached to your drop pearls from)? And what is the inner diameter of the ring? By the way, your white FW drop pearls have the perfect drop shape.

YC, the workshop I go to can customise eye pins I think. Pm me on the other place if you are interested.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
UPDATE: I'm home now, and I've measured the holes in my eye pins. They are about 3.5 mm internal holes.

Here's what I sent to the vendors.

Front, back and side of the huggies.

img_2162.jpg
img_2159.jpg
img_2163.jpg

Front and side of the oval hoops.

img_2166.jpg

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Bweaves, thank you for the info. Your eye pins look very sturdy hence, my interest. But since it was done for you by the vendors whom you bought the pearls from, I will have to look elsewhere.
Icy Jade, I will message you at the other forum.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
I know that Pearl Paradise sells small and large eyepins on their website. You'd have to contact them to find out what the actual size of the holes are.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Bweaves. I will check out these options.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Another option for pearl drops. These are my Mikimoto huggies. I liked them so much that I got them in both white and yellow gold. The white gold ones have very white pearls, while the yellow gold ones have pinked pearls.

img_2262_0.jpg

Here's the white gold version on the left above my natural white Hanadamas.
And the yellow gold version on the right next to my late Aunt Love's pinked Blue Lagoons.
The Blue Lagoon strand looks white in real life.

img_2267.jpg

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Bweaves for your suggestions. You must love the earrings so much to buy two pairs in the same design. I am looking for eye pins to basically extend the use of my stud earrings. I rummaged through my older jewellery recently and found a few pearl jackets. I think I will play with these for the coming months and then decide on the eye pins later.

20151028_204036-1.jpg

20151028_192718-1.jpg

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
OOOOOOO, LOVE! Both looks are gorgeous, but that long dangly one is to die for.

What size of the pearls?

And your studs are gorgeous, too.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Bweaves, thank you. Both sets of pearls are approximately 11-12mm. The long one is quite interesting- at the shorter chain is a tiny diamond. But I prefer the pearl on the shorter jacket - it is more white IRL and the luster metallic.

pencilcase

Rough_Rock
Here are my pearl drops. Bought from PP during Halloween 2014. They are two loose 7-8 mm freshwater drop pearls on the mini pendant cups. The opening is pretty small. I don't think i will find any diamond huggies thin enough lol.
But I enjoy wearing them on 18kt gold hoops.

img_3763.jpg
img_3760.jpg

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I like that look of the hoop with the pearl dangle. I like the texture of your gold hoops, too.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My PP metallic drops arrived. I love them, but there is one small problem. I accidentally ordered them on YG eye pins instead of WG. Totally my own fault. I know PP will be happy to fix them for me, but I'm paying for international shipping so this will run me a minimum of $50. What would you guys do? Wear them as two tone or bite the shipping bullet?

_772.jpeg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
cmd2014|1447529576|3949666 said:
My PP metallic drops arrived. I love them, but there is one small problem. I accidentally ordered them on YG eye pins instead of WG. Totally my own fault. I know PP will be happy to fix them for me, but I'm paying for international shipping so this will run me a minimum of $50. What would you guys do? Wear them as two tone or bite the shipping bullet?

Those are stunning drops. Love, love, love the shape and the luster. Two tones don't bother me a bit, so I would put that $50 towards my next pair of earrings. No one in your daily life will notice or care.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Fly Girl,

I have to admit, my first thought was this might be an excuse to buy some yellow gold huggies. I'm so bad! My husband said he couldn't tell when they were on, but given that he doesn't see the problem in wearing brown shoes with black pants I wasn't trusting his judgement.

I love the drops too. They worked out beautifully except for my mental lapse about the gold tone.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a quick ear shot. These are hard to photograph because of their luster.

_773.jpeg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning drops, cmd. My advice would be to live with them for awhile. You may not notice the difference in gold color. If you do, then it's worth it to have it changed.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful drops, CMD! If the difference in gold colour bothers you, you can always get the eye pins exchanged at your local jewelry.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Love those drops, CMD.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
I love your drops. I wear a lot of two and three toned metals, so the mix of white and yellow gold doesn't bother me at all. Trust me. Nobody will notice. And if they do, they'll think it's on purpose.

Besides, it is a great excuse to buy yellow gold hoops or huggies.

What size are the pearls, and did PP get them for you special, or were they on their website?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone. I'm wearing them today and on the ear you can't really see the 2 tone so I think I will leave them and use them as an excuse to buy a pair of gold huggies at some point. When my CC forgives me for my recent splurges that is.

Beweaves, they were 10-11mm loose drops from PP that were pre-matched to be sold as stock earrings, but I bought them as loose pearls along with the large eye pins from the findings section, and they made them up for me. I used the chat function to see what was available and saw a picture of them first though. I figured the 20% sale was a good time to do it.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous. But I'm a sucker for large pearl drops.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Take them to your local jeweler and have them plated with rhodium. They will look wonderful...or wear them as is...I always mix my metals. FYI, I had ordered a pair of Tahitian drops from PP set onto large eye pins that were supposed to be white gold...totally their mistake, but I loved them so much, I just kept them in yellow and wear them with my huggie hoops.

img_6007.jpg img_6008.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that combo Pirard! I covet your huggies!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
This is an entertaining thread. I may have to wear fashion pearls once in a while, so that I, too, can be like the common people. :lol:

What did you decide about your drops, cmd? Did you keep the yellow gold? I love your drops, they are gorgeous.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ennui,

I kept the yellow gold. It's not really noticeable on the ear and I find I don't mind them being two toned. I have also spent some time perusing gold huggies. I haven't bought any yet, but some day....

Q

Queenie60

Jambalaya|1444777303|3938006 said:
I've been admiring Kate Middleton's collection of drops on diamond hoops - I love her style - including her white pearl drops. I already had the hoops, and then I realized I had two loose Tahitian pearls from a former strand that I'd had shortened. I sent the pearls to Pearl Paradise and they fitted two gold hoops which are the perfect size. I love them and think they go so well with the hoops. Good old Pearl Paradise!

Pearls are baroque Tahitian, about 8.5mm, and I don't know how to describe the color. Silver? The top photo is more representative of the color.

The hoops are 12mm, 14k yellow gold, 1mm wide, from A.Link with a total carat weight of 0.12.

Hi Jambalaya: I am considering this same type of earring ( hope you don't mind) - It looks as though the hole is drilled all the way through the pearl? Also, can you describe the gold hoops fitted into the pearls? Or, how would I describe to Pearl Paradise so they get it right? This is a great look!!!

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Ideally, you want your pearl drops to be half drilled, so the drop just has a loop on top and the bottom is smooth.

But you may come across drops that you love that are already drilled to be strung on a necklace. Then you need an eye pin to cover the hole at the bottom. Or you could plan on having something else dangle below the bottom of the pearl.

Q

Queenie60

BWeaves|1451949379|3970674 said:
Ideally, you want your pearl drops to be half drilled, so the drop just has a loop on top and the bottom is smooth.

But you may come across drops that you love that are already drilled to be strung on a necklace. Then you need an eye pin to cover the hole at the bottom. Or you could plan on having something else dangle below the bottom of the pearl.

Thank you very much!

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and the little hoop at the top of the pearl are called an eyepin. Eyepins come in small and large sizes. If you know what sort of huggie or earring you are going to wear the drops on, take a photo next to a ruler so they can judge what size eyepins to use.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Queenie60, sorry, I've only just seen this. Yeah, the only reason my pearls are full-drilled with a little gold bit on the bottom is that they came from a strand that I had shortened. The eyepins are 3mm. Hope this helps! (NB: My hoops are very thin indeed, barely 1mm, so the eyepin probably looks larger in comparison.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results