shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone else take Synthroid for an underactive thyroid?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Re: Does anyone else take Synthroid for an underactive thyro

ame|1447187985|3947924 said:
sonnyjane|1446837138|3946361 said:
ame|1446829661|3946324 said:
Yea weight loss is a fiasco when you have low/no thyroid. My endo is a huge proponent of keto/low carb partly for weightloss reasons and partly because it tends to help hormonally with the absorption of the medication. Avoid soy at all costs. Little or no in your diet because your body cannot absorb the meds right--soy and thyroid issues are big.

This is what I'm struggling with. I don't eat meat and obviously one of the main substitutes is soy. I talked to my doc about it (she also specializes in weight loss and nutrition) and she said as long as I wait several hours after my pill and don't eat tofu every day or something crazy like that, it shouldn't be a problem. Who knows.
Soy is a huge issue. I was put on "Medifast" for a while--and guess what the main base ingredient is in all that--Soy. My levels were a DISASTER. I was a disaster. I had to quit it, because it was basically killing me. It took me almost 3 months to get it all out of my system and to get my levels stable again.

Oh yikes! No luckily my levels have been stable for the last two years on my dose despite eating the soy. Like I said I just wait at least 4-6 hours to eat it. We are talking about some edamame in a stir fry or a fake sausage patty now and then, nothing too crazy.

Ittybittykittykat

Shiny_Rock

Circe|1447022886|3947140 said:
I used to take Synthroid, but it just plain didn't work for me ... and when I tried adding Cytomel, it gave me splitting headaches. After doing a lot of research, I decided I wanted to try Armour thyroid (natural thyroid hormone, animal-based), and ... boom. I felt like myself again.

The thing I like best about my endocrinologist (happy to give you his name if you're in NYC) is that he actually *listens* to me when I describe my symptoms. If your doctor is brushing you off, s/he's not doing the job right. I remember starting a thread about this in the Family forum, ages ago, and I remember if getting some great tips from others who were hypo ... but the most important one seemed to be finding a good doc who would listen and give you the time and advice you needed until you were well. YMMV.

I would like to try Armour but my current endo will not give me any other prescription since my levels are fine. I travel between upstate and Queens. I'm willing to make a trip into the city to try a great doctor. I would appreciate his name if you don't mind sharing.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Ittybittykittykat said:
I used to take Synthroid, but it just plain didn't work for me ... and when I tried adding Cytomel, it gave me splitting headaches. After doing a lot of research, I decided I wanted to try Armour thyroid (natural thyroid hormone, animal-based), and ... boom. I felt like myself again.

The thing I like best about my endocrinologist (happy to give you his name if you're in NYC) is that he actually *listens* to me when I describe my symptoms. If your doctor is brushing you off, s/he's not doing the job right. I remember starting a thread about this in the Family forum, ages ago, and I remember if getting some great tips from others who were hypo ... but the most important one seemed to be finding a good doc who would listen and give you the time and advice you needed until you were well. YMMV.

I would like to try Armour but my current endo will not give me any other prescription since my levels are fine. I travel between upstate and Queens. I'm willing to make a trip into the city to try a great doctor. I would appreciate his name if you don't mind sharing.

My pleasure - he falls into the very limited category of doctors whom I've met in my lifetime who really deserve to be praised to the sky and back (seriously, it's three, total, and I've seen ... way more than I would have liked). Andrew Martorella, located on 68th St between 2nd and 3rd Avenues in Manhattan.

FWIW, my levels were "fine" the last time I saw him, but when I told him how things had been after I lowered my dosage post-pregnancy, he looked intrigued, and then told me about the handful of patients whom he'd had over the years who just thrived on what were bizarrely high levels according to received wisdom (and almost all of them, he said, also post-partum). I appreciate a doctor who's willing to pay enough attention to his patients to take their individual circumstances into account, not to mention one who's willing to remember previous patients and to consider their patterns of success in treatment.

Since I cautiously went back up a little? I feel loads better. It's a tricky science: our thyroid needs change alongside our bodies. So, gain weight: lose weight; age; breed; all of those will need to be factored in. I'd rather have a doctor who's willing to consider the overall picture, given the complexity.

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock

Hi Ittybittykittykat, sorry you are going through this. I am hypothyroid and take Synthroid and Cytomel. These supply both T3 and T4 which is what the body normally makes. I have a wonderful Doctor who is a holistic MD so she treats more than just the labs. Even though my blood work was borderline she treated my symptoms and prescribed the meds. Perhaps you could find a holistic M.D. who would be more willing to work with you until you feel yourself again. Good Luck.

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock

Just saw Circe answer, she is spot on.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I feel better when my dose is slightly high. You don't want it too high or you can become anemic though.

Ittybittykittykat

Shiny_Rock

Circe|1447365512|3948938 said:
Ittybittykittykat said:

My pleasure - he falls into the very limited category of doctors whom I've met in my lifetime who really deserve to be praised to the sky and back (seriously, it's three, total, and I've seen ... way more than I would have liked). Andrew Martorella, located on 68th St between 2nd and 3rd Avenues in Manhattan.

FWIW, my levels were "fine" the last time I saw him, but when I told him how things had been after I lowered my dosage post-pregnancy, he looked intrigued, and then told me about the handful of patients whom he'd had over the years who just thrived on what were bizarrely high levels according to received wisdom (and almost all of them, he said, also post-partum). I appreciate a doctor who's willing to pay enough attention to his patients to take their individual circumstances into account, not to mention one who's willing to remember previous patients and to consider their patterns of success in treatment.

Since I cautiously went back up a little? I feel loads better. It's a tricky science: our thyroid needs change alongside our bodies. So, gain weight: lose weight; age; breed; all of those will need to be factored in. I'd rather have a doctor who's willing to consider the overall picture, given the complexity.

Thank you so much!! I agree with everything you have said and will look into him this weekend!! It would be amazing to finally find someone that listens!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results