shape
carat
color
clarity

Mirror Cut Diamond? Is that what I have in my eternity band?

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Hi cut aficionado PSers! :wavey:

I bought this band a while back and have tried researching the cut, and think that this is considered a mirror cut? Am I right? If not, then what is it? My inquisitive mind needs an answer. You can see the "x" when looking at the diamonds and the table is flat and huge...pretty much the entire size of the tiny diamond from what I can tell. It is hard to keep the diamonds from smudging, but I do love how different it is from any other cuts that I own. One area has been replaced with a baguette cut one at some point in the life of this band.

Thanks in advance for any help!

img_20151110_205406.jpg

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Mirror Cut Diamond? Is that what I have in my eternity b

Very interesting stones!
They remind me of table cut, but I am no expert at all.
Would be interesting to hear what the experts have to say!
//aca :wavey:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

They remind me very much of the french cuts in my first french cut eternity band. It's hard to tell from the pictures ... are the tables rounded at the corners, or flatly squared off?

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Circe, it was very hard for me to photograph the ring and this was the best pic that I could manage. The table is flatly squared off.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for your input, aca! My readings have told me that the mirror cut is a type of table cut and can also be called the spread table cut. It has a look that reminds me of a french cut, but the crown/table doesn't fit what I believe to be considered one. So there lies the confusion I have. Is this a type of table cut or some super early french cut prototype?

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Well, google found me this http://university.langantiques.com/index.php/Table_Cut
It's really difficult to see from your picture, but it seems very likely to be mirror cut as you say. :read:
Really cool anyhow, I love seeing different cuts and especially old ones. I have only seen drawings and fuzzy pictures of table cuts in my old diamond book so this makes me happy. :)) Should probably get a new book I guess.
Where did you find this ring? Is it an antique? Doesn't look very old, but I am a novice in this area. :saint: :))

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Oh and btw, love the ring too!

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock

Yes, that is one of the references that I found when researching too, aca. Maybe I could try and do a 10X loupe pic. If it turns out then I will post. I bought this ring off of LT and it was listed as french cut, but even in the pics of the listing, it didn't quite look like them from the ones I have seen pics of because of the very flat table, but the price and ring size was right for me so I bought it. It is a platinum/10% iridium blend. Your old diamond book sounds interesting. :) Old cuts fascinate me as well, even if they are tiny.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock

Ok, here is two 10x loupe pics that I was able to take. One of them shows the flat table.

img_20151112_172913.jpg

img_20151112_173001.jpg

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Interesting! Perhaps the only way we can truly know is by unmounting them, but that really seems like a huge waste in such a beautiful ring. Thanks for sharing!

Yes, it's a really nice book filled with lots of information, pictures and drawings. It is rather old, from the seventies I think, and describes diamond history and legends up until "modern" times as well as history of mining, different cutting techniques, how they have evolved and well, pretty much anything re diamonds. It isn't in English though and since it's this old I assume it can only be found in second hand book stores. I would like to get Al Gilbertson's book on diamonds or some other book maybe with history on other cutting techniques, but I think my husband thinks I am crazy enough. Ok, I'll stop rambling on about this. :saint:

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock

I don't mind the rambling at all. I completely understand. :) Thanks for showing your interest. And no, I will not be unmounting them just to find out. I like to keep preloved, vintage/antique jewelry as is and only repair in order to wear them without worry. I would only redo ones that are severely damaged setting wise and salvage the stones.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thanks! And I agree, it is best to keep as is. Doesn't keep you from wondering though! :)) I still hope someone with more knowledge will say something, but maybe this is all we are going to find out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results