shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it wrong to bring a beer while your kids trick or treat?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Is it wrong to bring a beer while your kids trick or tre

The question of this thread was do you think it is wrong to bring a beer with you while trick or treating with your children. I still think it *is* poor judgment. Not the drinking in front of one's children part. No, that is not wrong at all. I agree drinking secretly (i.e. hiding it from the kids) sets a horrible example and drinking alcohol in moderation is not something that is bad or wrong so why would you hide having a cocktail or 2?

What I am reacting to re this question is walking around outside with alcohol while one is supervising their children. That is what I think is poor judgment. First of all drinking outside while walking around from house to house in the neighborhood is IMO low class. IMO OK? You don't have to agree. Just sharing my thoughts. And drinking while supervising small children while they are going door to door just adds to the poor judgment. IMO.

Halloween trick or treating *is* for the kids IMO and I think it is great for their parents to join in the fun i.e. dressing up and enjoying the fun and excitement their kids are having. Then you can go home and enjoy adult company and a few drinks with your friends while the kids are going through their loot. In the safety of the home.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The OP's specific question was "is it wrong to bring a beer while your kids trick-or-treat?" - this to me translates to situations where a parent is carrying an alcoholic beverage in one hand while walking with their costumed child(ren) on public streets/sidewalks as they go door-to-door trick-or-treating.

Some of the comments made seem to be referring to situations such as Halloween parties/neighborhood block parties/garage get-togethers, which by definition would be outside of OP's question (?) - perhaps I misunderstand OP's query.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

^^And I have no issue if someone thought that carrying around a beer while trick or treating was in poor judgement. What some of us were reacting to is that it was mentioned more than once that an individual must have a drinking problem if they can't put the booze down long enough to go trick or treating. I'm all about expressing opinions, but labeling people as alcoholics based on the limited bits of information here is pretty sad IMO.
Oh well, another Halloween has come and gone.... I hope that everyone had stayed safe and had fun =)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

marymm|1446407888|3944564 said:
The OP's specific question was "is it wrong to bring a beer while your kids trick-or-treat?" - this to me translates to situations where a parent is carrying an alcoholic beverage in one hand while walking with their costumed child(ren) on public streets/sidewalks as they go door-to-door trick-or-treating.

Some of the comments made seem to be referring to situations such as Halloween parties/neighborhood block parties/garage get-togethers, which by definition would be outside of OP's question (?) - perhaps I misunderstand OP's query.

I think the original question was about actually trick or treating (carrying around a beer while walking door-to-door with kids). Some neighborhoods have gatherings, etc. before/during/after trick or treating, but I'm assuming that kids & trick or treating is still involved. Either way, I think some folks think that if trick or treating is involved, drinking is in poor judgement period - because really, if you're drinking before or during, it might still be considered poor judgement. We trick or treat in my neighborhood, but we stop in at certain houses for food, drink, etc., so I guess that it's a little of both.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

random_thought|1446220307|3943837 said:
I've noticed here in Colorado that a lot of dads will carry a bottle of beer while they socialize with the other parents or the moms will have a plastic cup of wine or something. Do you think that's awful? I've had a glass of wine before we went out but never carried one with me. What are your thoughts? Ok or not?

Obviously late to the Halloween party, but yes, I think this is very wrong. Wouldn't be wrong in most parts of the country mind you, but Colorado???? If lived there I'd be packing the vape with some Jack Herer and really enjoying trick or treating. :twisted:

Demon

Brilliant_Rock

Maria D|1446411094|3944575 said:
random_thought|1446220307|3943837 said:
I've noticed here in Colorado that a lot of dads will carry a bottle of beer while they socialize with the other parents or the moms will have a plastic cup of wine or something. Do you think that's awful? I've had a glass of wine before we went out but never carried one with me. What are your thoughts? Ok or not?

Obviously late to the Halloween party, but yes, I think this is very wrong. Wouldn't be wrong in most parts of the country mind you, but Colorado???? If lived there I'd be packing the vape with some Jack Herer and really enjoying trick or treating. :twisted:

Well, you do have two hands. So vape in one, beer in the other. ;-)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy|1446407563|3944561 said:
The question of this thread was do you think it is wrong to bring a beer with you while trick or treating with your children. I still think it *is* poor judgment. Not the drinking in front of one's children part. No, that is not wrong at all. I agree drinking secretly (i.e. hiding it from the kids) sets a horrible example and drinking alcohol in moderation is not something that is bad or wrong so why would you hide having a cocktail or 2?

What I am reacting to re this question is walking around outside with alcohol while one is supervising their children. That is what I think is poor judgment. First of all drinking outside while walking around from house to house in the neighborhood is IMO low class. IMO OK? You don't have to agree. Just sharing my thoughts. And drinking while supervising small children while they are going door to door just adds to the poor judgment. IMO.

Halloween trick or treating *is* for the kids IMO and I think it is great for their parents to join in the fun i.e. dressing up and enjoying the fun and excitement their kids are having. Then you can go home and enjoy adult company and a few drinks with your friends while the kids are going through their loot. In the safety of the home.

I couldn't agree more with your thoughts Missy. In my opinion trick or treating is an activity for children. To compare trick or treating to having a drink at a wedding reception is kind of crazy to me. In my opinion it would be no different than drinking at your child's soccer or little league baseball game. I've seen it done when my nieces and nephews were young. I also found that tacky and not appropriate. Just my opinion.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I just wanted to clarify - I wasn't comparing having a drink at a wedding reception to having a drink while trick or treating.
Obviously, I understand the differences between the two events - among other things, one is an event primarily for children (trick or treating) and the other is not, but children may still be present (wedding reception). I was asking a question about what events (where children are present) are considered to be appropriate times when one might enjoy a drink and what events are not (because some comments were made about how if you are watching children then no amount of alcohol is okay).

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

ksinger|1446382973|3944457 said:
Tacori E-ring|1446346440|3944383 said:
ksinger|1446328596|3944304 said:
Tacori E-ring|1446325868|3944288 said:
I have seen intoxicated parents TOT with their children. If you need a cooler...probably not a great sign. I work with addicts so I am sure my POV is highly influenced by my career. Socially drinking in front of your children is not a problem IMHO. The problem is not everyone can socially drink. It is interesting because I just had a patient break up with her long-term boyfriend. Alcohol is not her main issue but she was in tears saying her ex has their little girls get beer for him out of the fridge. She explained she had the same job in her home and her father was an alcoholic. I don't see substance abuse as a moral issue. I see it as a disease. This said, I have other ways to teach my child about drinking in moderation (if that is something she is able to do). I don't think teaching her to be comfortable with the bartender is the social modeling approach I will take. Ireland is also known for its deep rooted alcoholism...so yea...that story makes me sad.

She wasn't toting pints, she was paying a bill. For all I know, the family had just finished an entire meal since this was a pub not a BAR - we were not in line to see the table she came from - it was around the corner a bit from us. The amusing bit was her checking the bill (at 6). The ironic part was the fact that she was trusted to walk across the room by herself, let alone climb onto a high stool and talk to an evil bartender - who was the only person working at that point in the late afternoon. I'm just having a hard time extrapolating from this that she would be "comfortable with a bartender" and thus progress inexorably to alcoholism.

For the record, my uncle was an alcoholic. My mom knew it, as I got older I knew it. We even talked about it, she and I. It was sad, but what could you do? He was a WWII vet, and who was I to be a prissy little chit to him and lecture him on drinking? So, at his request, I occasionally and graciously got a beer for him as a kid, when I would go down to his garage fridge to get a Pepsi for myself. I loved my uncle and knew that I could not change him and would only strain our relationship. Besides, I was only a kid - kids don't lecture adults, or at least they didn't where I was from. In any case, I did not become an alcoholic. I know this is your area of expertise, but there really ARE a lot of us out here who had exposures to alcohol that you would consider just horrible, and yet had zero desire to go there. It happens.

I misread your story about the little girl but don't think I ever referred to the bartender as "evil." :confused: The second part of my story has been a common thing I have heard among patients as addiction usually (NOT ALWAYS) runs in families. A child is 4 times more likely to have addiction issues (process addictions/eating disorders included) if a parent suffers from addiction. I am not suggesting a child lecture an adult. *I* don't even lecture them as they are adults. So maybe our communication is unclear on both our parts.

I likely was unclear.

No, you did not say "evil". But much of the tenor of this thread from the right/wrong, good/bad dichotomy and nothing good/poor judgement/bad parenting/you may even be a danger to kids who don't belong to you angle, makes the use of the word "evil" not much of stretch at all. Since there IS such a judgmental tone here, is it any wonder that some of the people who might actually have an occasional drink in front of their kids might get their hackles up at being so labeled? I have no dog in this fight since I don't have kids, but I find the whole thing a bit overblown. But Momhappy is not wrong in understanding quite well that those here who do not know her personally, would see her having a drink in front of kids and harshly judge her - they have said as much right in here. As in so many other areas, we all have a tendency to see one tiny slice of life and extrapolate an entire backstory, make assumptions, and pass judgment. And as in any snapshot, appearances can be very deceiving.

The example with my uncle was to point out that simply being exposed to drinking adults - sometimes even in rather larger proportions than seeing mom and dad have a drink occasionally - is probably not enough to throw a kid into addiction. Hand-wringing about a drink in front of kids on Halloween, seems a tempest in a teapot to me. If every parent on the street was blotto, that would be a different matter of course, but again, one can hardly tell that from walking by someone for 10 seconds in the dark.

More sad from my POV, is the fact that around here at least, the evangelicals have waged a decades-long PR campaign casting Halloween as a satanic holiday, and have pretty much put paid to anything resembling a festive walking of the streets by tiny ghouls, with or without alcohol. I found this out by going trick-or-treating with my nephew and niece last night ( a Starwars storm trooper and Doc McStuffins - too cute). They were the only kids on the street.

I feel like we are having two different conversations. I prefer people not try to mind read or interpret my comments for their own gain. I do not believe I stated anything judgement but about my own experiences. You seem to be making all the assumptions. If you have *direct* thought/question on anything I posted feel free to state it.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Calliecake|1446411623|3944578 said:
I couldn't agree more with your thoughts Missy. In my opinion trick or treating is an activity for children. To compare trick or treating to having a drink at a wedding reception is kind of crazy to me. In my opinion it would be no different than drinking at your child's soccer or little league baseball game. I've seen it done when my nieces and nephews were young. I also found that tacky and not appropriate. Just my opinion.

You're right, it's an activity for children. So why are parents following their children around in the first place? If your child is so young that a parent is needed, then yes, don't drink at the same time you are walking your 4 year old around the block. But if your kids are school age, I say let them go out trick-or-treating and stay home and sit back with your glass of wine. They don't need you hovering around. There are watchful adult eyes all over the neighborhood as people are giving out candy. (And apparently they are watching YOU with that beer in your hand, lol.)

Your kid knows his way around the block. If s/he doesn't, and is over the age of 6, you've been helicoptering too long. If your neighborhood is so unsafe that a person age 7 or above can't walk around on a festive night like Halloween, you need to move or give up on trick-or-treating (have a house party for the kids instead).

Of course I'm referring to universal "you," not directed at Calliecake.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Maria D|1446419960|3944596 said:

You're right, it's an activity for children. So why are parents following their children around in the first place? If your child is so young that a parent is needed, then yes, don't drink at the same time you are walking your 4 year old around the block. But if your kids are school age, I say let them go out trick-or-treating and stay home and sit back with your glass of wine. They don't need you hovering around. There are watchful adult eyes all over the neighborhood as people are giving out candy. (And apparently they are watching YOU with that beer in your hand, lol.)

Your kid knows his way around the block. If s/he doesn't, and is over the age of 6, you've been helicoptering too long. If your neighborhood is so unsafe that a person age 7 or above can't walk around on a festive night like Halloween, you need to move or give up on trick-or-treating (have a house party for the kids instead).

This is an entirely different discussion IMO (and I'm guessing that the responses would vary about as widely as they have here). My kids are well over 6 and I'm not sending them out to trick or treat alone :shock: I don't care how "safe" my neighborhood is or how well my kids know their way around. For us, trick or treating is a fun family event and therefore, we go as a family as do most people in my neighborhood. Call me a helicopter parent if you'd like - I'm fine with that ;-)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

part gypsy|1446401615|3944533 said:
So how do people feel about THAT, people having a beer while !gasp! in the presence of kids! While handing out candy??? Halloween was based on harvest festivals, where yes, there was drinking (maybe not excessive, but it was part of it).

I do wonder why some people associate 1 beer=inebriated/irresponsible.

No one said any of these things.

1. We said that having a drinks wandering the streets while supervising children children too young to be on their own is irresponsible. Not having drinks around kids. That's perfectly fine. And in fact it was specifically mentioned that this teaches kids that drinking can be done responsibly.

2. The person handing out candy is not responsible for the well being of children. Just the distribution of candy. They can have a couple shots of tequila for all I care. What I don't want them to be is sick and handing out germs with the candy. But drinking? Couldn't care less.

3. No one said 1 beer is irresponsible on its own. We said it is about context. Drinking alcohol while you are supervising children in a potentially dangerous situation is counterproductive.

But thanks for inserting hyperbole and intentionally misconstruing everything we said with the worst possible interpretation. That's lovely.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tacori E-ring|1446419815|3944595 said:
ksinger|1446382973|3944457 said:
Tacori E-ring|1446346440|3944383 said:
ksinger|1446328596|3944304 said:
Tacori E-ring|1446325868|3944288 said:
I have seen intoxicated parents TOT with their children. If you need a cooler...probably not a great sign. I work with addicts so I am sure my POV is highly influenced by my career. Socially drinking in front of your children is not a problem IMHO. The problem is not everyone can socially drink. It is interesting because I just had a patient break up with her long-term boyfriend. Alcohol is not her main issue but she was in tears saying her ex has their little girls get beer for him out of the fridge. She explained she had the same job in her home and her father was an alcoholic. I don't see substance abuse as a moral issue. I see it as a disease. This said, I have other ways to teach my child about drinking in moderation (if that is something she is able to do). I don't think teaching her to be comfortable with the bartender is the social modeling approach I will take. Ireland is also known for its deep rooted alcoholism...so yea...that story makes me sad.

She wasn't toting pints, she was paying a bill. For all I know, the family had just finished an entire meal since this was a pub not a BAR - we were not in line to see the table she came from - it was around the corner a bit from us. The amusing bit was her checking the bill (at 6). The ironic part was the fact that she was trusted to walk across the room by herself, let alone climb onto a high stool and talk to an evil bartender - who was the only person working at that point in the late afternoon. I'm just having a hard time extrapolating from this that she would be "comfortable with a bartender" and thus progress inexorably to alcoholism.

For the record, my uncle was an alcoholic. My mom knew it, as I got older I knew it. We even talked about it, she and I. It was sad, but what could you do? He was a WWII vet, and who was I to be a prissy little chit to him and lecture him on drinking? So, at his request, I occasionally and graciously got a beer for him as a kid, when I would go down to his garage fridge to get a Pepsi for myself. I loved my uncle and knew that I could not change him and would only strain our relationship. Besides, I was only a kid - kids don't lecture adults, or at least they didn't where I was from. In any case, I did not become an alcoholic. I know this is your area of expertise, but there really ARE a lot of us out here who had exposures to alcohol that you would consider just horrible, and yet had zero desire to go there. It happens.

I misread your story about the little girl but don't think I ever referred to the bartender as "evil." :confused: The second part of my story has been a common thing I have heard among patients as addiction usually (NOT ALWAYS) runs in families. A child is 4 times more likely to have addiction issues (process addictions/eating disorders included) if a parent suffers from addiction. I am not suggesting a child lecture an adult. *I* don't even lecture them as they are adults. So maybe our communication is unclear on both our parts.

I likely was unclear.

No, you did not say "evil". But much of the tenor of this thread from the right/wrong, good/bad dichotomy and nothing good/poor judgement/bad parenting/you may even be a danger to kids who don't belong to you angle, makes the use of the word "evil" not much of stretch at all. Since there IS such a judgmental tone here, is it any wonder that some of the people who might actually have an occasional drink in front of their kids might get their hackles up at being so labeled? I have no dog in this fight since I don't have kids, but I find the whole thing a bit overblown. But Momhappy is not wrong in understanding quite well that those here who do not know her personally, would see her having a drink in front of kids and harshly judge her - they have said as much right in here. As in so many other areas, we all have a tendency to see one tiny slice of life and extrapolate an entire backstory, make assumptions, and pass judgment. And as in any snapshot, appearances can be very deceiving.

The example with my uncle was to point out that simply being exposed to drinking adults - sometimes even in rather larger proportions than seeing mom and dad have a drink occasionally - is probably not enough to throw a kid into addiction. Hand-wringing about a drink in front of kids on Halloween, seems a tempest in a teapot to me. If every parent on the street was blotto, that would be a different matter of course, but again, one can hardly tell that from walking by someone for 10 seconds in the dark.

More sad from my POV, is the fact that around here at least, the evangelicals have waged a decades-long PR campaign casting Halloween as a satanic holiday, and have pretty much put paid to anything resembling a festive walking of the streets by tiny ghouls, with or without alcohol. I found this out by going trick-or-treating with my nephew and niece last night ( a Starwars storm trooper and Doc McStuffins - too cute). They were the only kids on the street.

I feel like we are having two different conversations. I prefer people not try to mind read or interpret my comments for their own gain. I do not believe I stated anything judgement but about my own experiences. You seem to be making all the assumptions. If you have *direct* thought/question on anything I posted feel free to state it.

We very likely are, and the fault for that is mine. I apologize for replying to you when I clearly should have posted in a more general way and not TO you. I started with something to you, and then went general without notice. Reading back, I can see how you would wonder what the heck....? So, the tone of this thread - again, not really you, who did make it clear that you think of alcoholism as a disease - has been judgmental in the extreme. I was reacting to that really, and not so much you personally. Again, apologies for my lack of clarity.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I agree with this, with one exception. I personally think 7 is too young in most places I've lived-- at least after dark. For me, I think trick or treating alone, if the kid is responsible, is fine above 10 at least after dark, but before 9pm.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

ksinger|1446423169|3944605 said:
We very likely are, and the fault for that is mine. I apologize for replying to you when I clearly should have posted in a more general way and not TO you. I started with something to you, and then went general without notice. Reading back, I can see how you would wonder what the heck....? So, the tone of this thread - again, not really you, who did make it clear that you think of alcoholism as a disease - has been judgmental in the extreme. I was reacting to that really, and not so much you personally. Again, apologies for my lack of clarity.

Thank you, I appreciate that. People have STRONG opinions on parenting in general so I am not surprised people have strong views on this.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1446420810|3944599 said:

This is an entirely different discussion IMO (and I'm guessing that the responses would vary about as widely as they have here). My kids are well over 6 and I'm not sending them out to trick or treat alone :shock: I don't care how "safe" my neighborhood is or how well my kids know their way around. For us, trick or treating is a fun family event and therefore, we go as a family as do most people in my neighborhood. Call me a helicopter parent if you'd like - I'm fine with that ;-)

Yep, you're right, it is a different discussion. In my area, kids are walking to school without parental supervision from 2nd grade on. There's a bus for kindergarteners and first graders but since the school is less than a mile away, no bus for older kids. So that's why I picked 7 - because in this neighborhood you're already walking to school everyday at that age, and the school is further away than trick-or-treating range. On a regular day, kids around here are playing outside beyond their backyards. They might be playing street hockey, biking or just generally roaming around the 'hood. In the summer they like to play "Manhunt" which is basically hide-go-seek after dark with a flashlight. They're already doing all this without parental hovering. On Halloween night there are actually MORE adult eyes out than is normal.

But it looks like for you trick-or-treating is not a "children's activity," it's a family event.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There is only one correct way to raise children.

Everyone else is doing it wrong.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

^ :lol:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Maria D|1446425726|3944618 said:
momhappy|1446420810|3944599 said:

Yep, you're right, it is a different discussion. In my area, kids are walking to school without parental supervision from 2nd grade on. There's a bus for kindergarteners and first graders but since the school is less than a mile away, no bus for older kids. So that's why I picked 7 - because in this neighborhood you're already walking to school everyday at that age, and the school is further away than trick-or-treating range. On a regular day, kids around here are playing outside beyond their backyards. They might be playing street hockey, biking or just generally roaming around the 'hood. In the summer they like to play "Manhunt" which is basically hide-go-seek after dark with a flashlight. They're already doing all this without parental hovering. On Halloween night there are actually MORE adult eyes out than is normal.

But it looks like for you trick-or-treating is not a "children's activity," it's a family event.

It is a children's activity - we just choose to go as a family....

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

There are a lot of children's activities that parents attend/chaperone-I'd not let London have a birthday party w/out us there. I'd not let Trapper go to a children's party w/out that child's parents there. I'd not let my kids go to the circus alone. I let them ride their bikes in a certain area. I'd not let my kids go to an amusement park and ride the rides while I was off doing adultish things there. When we took Trapper out last night, we had to throw away one of the pieces of candy b/c JD knew the person passing it out and that person was not the type of person one would like to have candy from. We have steered clear of houses where the light was on and ohh goodness the nicest person you ever did see was handing out candy--and that person had had dealings where one might not want one's children to be around that person, but it's not illegal for that person to be around small children...buuut we steer clear. Not allowing a 6 year old to go off in the neighborhood when it's full of cars and a ton of other people does not make one a helicopter parent. Are we all 100% sure our children will *never* go into someone else's home? Are we all 100% sure our children will *never* get into someone's vehicle? "Gosh, it sure is cold outside, why don't you hop in and I'll drive you down the street?" "Hi honey, look! I've got a puppy! Take a candy bar and come see my puppy"

We drink in our house. We drink in front of our kids. We drink in front of other people's kids. Other people drink in front of our kids. I don't drink when I'm responsible for other people's kids and their parents are not here/around. That doesn't mean I'm some sort of judgemental self righteous jerk who thinks everyone who drinks is a drunkard. That just happens to be how *I* do it. Some think it's ok to drink in certain situations, some don't. Big deal. Let's each just do or don't do and quit picking at each other. You go ahead and drink and then I won't, and then that's the end of it, it's pretty easy. I'm certainly not going to start raining down the Wrath of the Differing Opinion if I saw someone w/a beer walking w/the kids trick or treating and I'm pretty sure nobody else is either.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it's tacky and inappropriate. Just my opinion.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We have our Halloween party on the front lawn, with a fire pit, and a cooler full of beer and wine. Hey if the parents want one, I don't see why not, we certainly offer it and some parents say sure, some don't. My neighborhood is very family friendly, lots of kids having a great time, but IMO there's nothing wrong with a parent having an adult beverage if they're walking around. I'm in Massachusetts and my neighborhood is Halloween central, so we we see it all the time. None of them appear hammered or drunk, the kids are sweet and having a great time (even the older ones!!), and plenty of people do like we do now and bring the party to the front lawn (why not frankly??? lol)

Heck this year and last, we got a big yellow bus full of kids from some other neighborhood. Who knows from where but hey, they had fun it was safe and thats what matters.

I can't make any judgements based off of someone walking with one beer or glass of wine, so ain't gonna.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LOL to the 'Halloween is a children's holiday!'

Tell that to all the slutty nurses/pikachus/everything that roam the streets past bed time!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

telephone89|1446481922|3944761 said:

Tell that to all the slutty nurses/pikachus/everything that roam the streets past bed time!

I don't believe anyone in this thread stated that Halloween was a children's holiday. Some of the people responding felt when taking young children trick or treating it should be all about the children. Some responding didn't agee. If you read thru the thread I don't feel anyone said Halloween was strictly a children's holiday.

I LOL when I read your comment about some of the "adult costumes" telephone!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok, so I need make sure I have this information straight...

Parents who want to walk around with beer or wine or pot vaping devices (or all three) while taking their kids out trick or treating are fine.

Parents who want to stay at home and tie one on while their seven-year-olds trick or treat by themselves are fine too.

But the parents who choose to stay sober and go trick or treating with their kids...they are helicopter parents.

This is how I have read the information on this thread...

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

House Cat|1446486514|3944786 said:

Parents who want to walk around with beer or wine or pot vaping devices (or all three) while taking their kids out trick or treating are fine.

Parents who want to stay at home and tie one on while their seven-year-olds trick or treat by themselves are fine too.

But the parents who choose to stay sober and go trick or treating with their kids...they are helicopter parents.

Wow, then you're either in a hurry or have poor reading comprehension skills. Or maybe need to put down that beer! :naughty:

telephone89: Slutty Pikachu??? Say it ain't so!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maria D|1446486951|3944788 said:
House Cat|1446486514|3944786 said:

Wow, then you're either in a hurry or have poor reading comprehension skills. Or maybe need to put down that beer! :naughty:

telephone89: Slutty Pikachu??? Say it ain't so!
Hmmm. Maybe you're just too stoned to see how you're coming off.

I don't drink. I don't need an escape from my life. I love it just the way it is, Thanks!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Calliecake|1446483851|3944772 said:
telephone89|1446481922|3944761 said:

I don't believe anyone in this thread stated that Halloween was a children's holiday. Some of the people responding felt when taking young children trick or treating it should be all about the children. Some responding didn't agee. If you read thru the thread I don't feel anyone said Halloween was strictly a children's holiday.

I LOL when I read your comment about some of the "adult costumes" telephone!
At least one person specifically said that, pg 2.

I've been to the bar on Halloween before and man, some of those costumes are crazy haha.

Maria D - I'm at work right now, so I won't be googling slutty Pikachu - but believe me, it exists!!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just to be clear...(I'm on page 2, so just in case :D ) (even though I don't think anyone is referring to my post)

I don't think Halloween is a children's holiday - I think Trick or Treating is an activity for children though. And that's what this thread was asking about.

I cannot conjure up an image of slutty pikachu - I remember pikachu being like a yellow round type of thing. wasn't it like an animal? I'm wracking my brain trying to think about what a slutty one could look like yet I don't want to google it I want to come up with it on my own :lol:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Due to this thread, I was on mental booze patrol while I took my daughter TOT'ing Saturday night! I did not bring a beverage with me, first of all. So many reasons, but nothing really to do with appropriateness. Anyway, the only people I saw drinking were a few adults dressed up and handing out candy. They were all actually people without kids. The weather was nice, the neighborhood atmosphere was very festive, with people having parties in their front yards like Arcadien and passing out grilled hot dogs along with candy (and I'm sure the coolers housed some beer.) It was all very nice, with no incidents of inappropriate behavior as far as I could see!

I don't have a strong opinion one way or another on this topic. I don't think it's wrong to bring a beer, but I think it's unnecessary.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results