shape
carat
color
clarity

Social circles: what size stone would you feel weird about?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Social circles: what size stone would you feel weird abo

pearaffair|1445914336|3942424 said:
Laila619 said:
I wear whatever I like and whatever makes me happy. I don't worry about what other people in my social circle have or don't have. That said, my comfort zone is around .75 to 1 carat or so.

Is this due to visual balance on your hand? Just curious which other factors are at play here; if not social circles, what creates your comfort zone? Practicality? I imagine a 3 carat ring might get in the way! ;-)

Hi,

Practicality, expense, easy to wear without catching on things, insurance costs, not too showy, etc.

I had an almost 1 carat diamond, but I sold it, and now i wear just a simple band. Very happy with it!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am pretty sure I would feel weird starting at over 4 carats. From 3-4 carats,nI would probably feel that it was big for a couple of days and then I would be over it. I see all sizes, just depending on the neighborhood or restaurant I am in. .5 to 8 carats. I have a 2.59 that usually looks small to me.

Nardil

Rough_Rock

I live in Sweden and here I think the standard size of a diamond in a solitaire setting is 0.4ct. It is also very common to just have an eternity band and a plain wedding band.

I have a 0.37ct diamond that I love but I think I would feel comfortable with any diamond size between 0.35ct-0.70ct.

It is also quite common to have a plain band as an engagement ring and the solitaire as a wedding ring. I don't know if it is a Swedish/European thing or if it is common everywhere?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm not influenced usually by what is the "norm" and what others around me are doing but I will say I have not yet found a size I would not be comfortable wearing. Will definitely post here when/if I ever do. ;))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

kenny|1445914660|3942428 said:
pearaffair|1445914110|3942423 said:
momhappy|1445879659|3942257 said:
To be honest, as much as I like diamonds, I don't go around inspecting everyone's rings, so I don't really know how big their rocks are.

To be honest... I do! I go around and inspect everyone's rings! Haha ok not inspect, but I definitely notice. I just love jewellery and so I really pay attention.

OMG!
You and momhappy vary!

:D

:lol:
If someone wants me to inspect their ring (they want to show it off, talk about it, etc.) then by all means, I have no problem inspecting it ;-) , but I guess I hardly notice otherwise. I tend to notice earrings and necklaces (likely due to the fact that they are more eye-level). On men, I tend to notice watches - especially large, nice, shiny ones :D

adom

Rough_Rock

Great discussion.I have enjoyed reading other's thoughts.

Our household went the non-diamond route - .75 center 3 stone 1.11 total with two anniversary channel set bands at a later date.

Instead we retired early and have multiple properties and things with engines - cars, boats, snowmobiles.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

adom|1445949578|3942517 said:

Our household went the non-diamond route - .75 center 3 stone 1.11 total with two anniversary channel set bands at a later date.

Instead we retired early and have multiple properties and things with engines - cars, boats, snowmobiles.

As long as she loves engines, that sounds like a deal for you! Thankfully, my hubby collects cars and I collect jewelry!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

diamondseeker2006|1445963231|3942593 said:
Our household went the non-diamond route...Instead we retired early and have multiple properties and things with engines - cars, boats, snowmobiles.

As long as she loves engines, that sounds like a deal for you! Thankfully, my hubby collects cars and I collect jewelry!

+1 :lol: Haha!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm a 8.25 on a slim day so nothing is too big for my ring finger!!!

I'm all about work and frankly when I worked with a lot of papers, I gave up on wearing any rings at work. Now Im either home in sweats or at an office lugging a big bag and a laptop bag and I'm frankly afraid of decapitating my rings as I'm awfully clumsy. And I don't like to wear bling at work since I had a crazy boss two companies ago who judged me based on my stuff... Ring, bag, etc.

The rate ocassion where I see friends I don't really notice their bling and when I do I note that they need a good cleaning. This may be why their bling doesn't pop out at me...

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I check out everyone's rings. My worst driving habit is checking out the left hand of anyone I encounter. It doesn't matter if it's big or small - I check it out! I try to be discrete though.

I live in Texas and I'm surprised the average size is that big. Where I live, there's a little bit of everything. In my social circle there's everything from 1/3 carat to two carats. Mine is slightly above average (1.65 ct) but almost never the biggest in the room. Solitaires with eternity bands stacked on top and bottom rule around here. 1 ct is probably the size I see most often.

I'd probably start feeling weird with anything over 4 carats, but I could get over that.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearaffair|1445814607|3942078 said:
AprilBaby|1445811690|3942070 said:
I think sometimes it comes down to stage in life. What I would wear now is not what I would have worn 30 years ago. Buy your big diamond now because what you want in 30 years might be twice the price. Who cares what others wear? Chicago area: 1-2 ct
Rock what you love!

What would you have worn thirty years ago? Smaller?

Thirty years ago I would have worn a .50. I actually had a .35.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm afraid that not having diamonds wouldn't do that for us. My engagement ring ring is less than we currently spend on 1 month's rent. My entire jewellery collection (and I use that word very loosely) is possibly 3 months rent. I'd happily sell them to retire early and own a boat, but it wouldn't even begin to cover the costs.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Great thread! I live in a small-ish city in New England. People here run the gamut from quite impoverished to wealthy, so it's hard to say what is typical. I would say the majority I have seen are solitaires, three stone, and halos (especially lately). Usual size is anywhere from 0.5-1 carat center. I have a 1.7 carat OEC, and as you might expect I definitely get some looks and comments from my social circle. However, I have some friends with bigger rings who live in NYC and the like, so I don't feel weird for the most part. I don't mind people commenting/asking about my ring as long as I am not in a dangerous area. I am hoping to upgrade eventually and would like around a 3 ct. This would definitely be very large for my social circle and area that I live in, but I don't really care what others will say. Most people in my life know how into jewelry I am, so I feel like it wouldn't be a surprise.

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I live in the southeast and I see all kinds of rings. I notice everyone's rings. I have noticed in the last 3-5 years, a lot of women in my age group have reset or upgraded. In my family, my 1.5 carat round is average. In a round, I think 2.5 carats would be my limit. In a fancy shape like an emerald, I think 3.5 would be my limit. In a halo, my 1.5 carat is about my limit.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock

It really varies in my group of friends. Anywhere from no diamond (me) to 2+ ct.

I'm in Canada as well, GTA.

We're sort of all over the map. Same goes for housing. Some of my friends still live with their parents and some have million dollar homes.

I am finding that newly engaged people are averaging larger diamonds. My little cousin just got engaged with a ring that looks over 2 cts and they just graduated!

The people with larger rings seem to abandon them once they have kids so that's something to think about (if you're planning to). I wouldn't feel self conscious about having something different than the other people in your social circle. Make yourself happy.

nycspring

Shiny_Rock

I live in NYC, and the carat sizes I see vary greatly. My husband's friends' wives have center stones that range from 2ct to 4ct. Most of my friends are unmarried and the married ones have rings in the 1-1.5ct range. On the subway (where I get a chance to look around and see the most diamonds in public), the average sizes seem to be about 1-2ct. Most of my coworkers have 1-2ct as well, with a couple people that have larger (2.5-3ct) stones. I'm pretty content with my 2ct center stone, but I would be comfortable up to 2.5ct. While I wouldn't want to downsize my solitaire, recently I've been daydreaming about selling my e-ring and replacing it with a lovely understated (but blingy!) u prong eternity band- which probably won't happen (my husband would not be happy with that at all!)

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Tourmaline|1445964360|3942603 said:
diamondseeker2006|1445963231|3942593 said:
Our household went the non-diamond route...Instead we retired early and have multiple properties and things with engines - cars, boats, snowmobiles.

+1 :lol: Haha!

Ditto!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

nycspring|1446002690|3942857 said:
I live in NYC, and the carat sizes I see vary greatly. My husband's friends' wives have center stones that range from 2ct to 4ct. Most of my friends are unmarried and the married ones have rings in the 1-1.5ct range. On the subway (where I get a chance to look around and see the most diamonds in public), the average sizes seem to be about 1-2ct. Most of my coworkers have 1-2ct as well, with a couple people that have larger (2.5-3ct) stones. I'm pretty content with my 2ct center stone, but I would be comfortable up to 2.5ct. While I wouldn't want to downsize my solitaire, recently I've been daydreaming about selling my e-ring and replacing it with a lovely understated (but blingy!) u prong eternity band- which probably won't happen (my husband would not be happy with that at all!)

Why not have both............?

nycspring

Shiny_Rock

Snowdrop13, I feel that if I were to get a u prong eternity, my e-ring would end up sitting in a drawer most of the time.. and the nerdy, practical side of me daydreams about putting that money in retirement savings. :roll:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chemgirl|1446001009|3942853 said:
I wouldn't feel self conscious about having something different than the other people in your social circle. Make yourself happy.

I agree that making yourself happy is the goal.

I'm very independent.
But I also try to accept (instead of change) that what makes some people happy is being similar to others in their social circles.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock

Dancing Fire|1445842761|3942177 said:
Avg E-ring center stone.

avg in the U.S. is....1ct
avg here on PS is....1.27ct
avg NYC is....2.63ct
avg No.Cal & So.Cal is.....2.31ct
avg in Florida & Texas is... 2.47ct
avg in the midwest is....68.ct

I'm curious what your source is. While I'm certain that in certain urban circles of Florida/Texas the average is over 2 ct, I have a hard time believing that the average is anywhere near that high. Perhaps this is tongue-in-cheek and my sarcasm meter is malfunctioning, though.

I live in the mid-Atlantic and in my city it varies from tiny diamonds and cluster/quad rings to 2+ carats in the more affluent neighborhoods and suburbs. I ran into the realtor who listed my house and his fiancée at an event recently and I swear her solitaire was close to 3, which was the largest I've seen amongst the younger set here. My SO lives in a nice suburb and I'll frequently see 2 ct solitaires/center stones paired with blingy eternity bands at the grocery store or gym. My SO's mom lives about 40 minutes away and her (obviously upgraded) e-ring has to be at least a 3 ct RB and I swear her diamond studs are probably close to 2 each! While that's not quite the norm in that area, I don't think it's out of place.

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I also live in an upscale suburb of the Bay Area and the ladies around her sport 2cts and up. I like looking at people's sparklies when I'm out to dinner in the area - some of these women wear the whole gamut: earrings, pendant, tennis bracelet, and ring(s). For me I'm comfortable with a 2 ct, but for traveling I'll definitely wear something smaller.

TrakHack

Rough_Rock

I live in Nebraska in a medium-sized city, and I am guessing the average size is probably .75 carat. I have a 2.4 carat Emerald cut I inherited that I do feel a little self-conscious wearing, so I'm just selective about where I wear it. I have an inherited ring that is three rows of round brilliants, ctw somewhere around 3, and this ring is what attracts the most attention wherever I go.

My social-circle is in the horse world, and most women I know who actually work with horses don't wear rings or wear a simple band; the question for that group would be "what size horse trailer would you feel weird about?".

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

TrakHack|1446062010|3943115 said:
I live in Nebraska in a medium-sized city, and I am guessing the average size is probably .75 carat. I have a 2.4 carat Emerald cut I inherited that I do feel a little self-conscious wearing, so I'm just selective about where I wear it. I have an inherited ring that is three rows of round brilliants, ctw somewhere around 3, and this ring is what attracts the most attention wherever I go.

My social-circle is in the horse world, and most women I know who actually work with horses don't wear rings or wear a simple band; the question for that group would be "what size horse trailer would you feel weird about?".

I can answer that! Traded down from a 28' deck 4 horse head to head to a 14' bumper pull and I looooove being able to park wherever I want!!

Now, saddles... Still would rather have a really drool worthy saddle than a ring...

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I owned a 5.2ct (I think - it could have been 5.1ct) OEC for about 15 seconds. I wore it as a solitaire and returned it pretty promptly because it just didn't look real to me. So on some level, as regards what I'm wearing, I have a subconscious limit as to what looks real. I definitely don't have that issue with other people's jewelry - just mine. I went back to something in the 3ct range and am happy with that size or thereabouts. Up to 10mm works for me; 11.5mm was way too much.

In my neighborhood most people have something in the .75 - 1.5ct range. A number of women have 3 stone rings. But most of those people have vacation homes or boats - all of which cost considerably more than my ring! Everybody uses their money differently and jewelry is just not an interest for a lot of people. And a lot of people travel extensively, of course, creating memories, which seems like a great use of money, too.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

wildcat03|1446054274|3943063 said:
Dancing Fire|1445842761|3942177 said:
Avg E-ring center stone.

avg in the U.S. is....1ct
avg here on PS is....1.27ct
avg NYC is....2.63ct
avg No.Cal & So.Cal is.....2.31ct
avg in Florida & Texas is... 2.47ct
avg in the midwest is....68.ct

I'm curious what your source is.

Others have asked before.
I think DF thunk this up.

Whadya say DF?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I realized I never mentioned my social circle. Some friends go from 2-4 carats plus blingy five stone rings on the same finger. Bling fest. My own family 1-5 carats. But usually the older members. Work varies. So I guess same answer. But I think I get more attention bc I keep my ring clean for max sparkle. ;-)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mrs-blop said:
I owned a 5.2ct (I think - it could have been 5.1ct) OEC for about 15 seconds. I wore it as a solitaire and returned it pretty promptly because it just didn't look real to me. So on some level, as regards what I'm wearing, I have a subconscious limit as to what looks real. I definitely don't have that issue with other people's jewelry - just mine. I went back to something in the 3ct range and am happy with that size or thereabouts. Up to 10mm works for me; 11.5mm was way too much.

In my neighborhood most people have something in the .75 - 1.5ct range. A number of women have 3 stone rings. But most of those people have vacation homes or boats - all of which cost considerably more than my ring! Everybody uses their money differently and jewelry is just not an interest for a lot of people. And a lot of people travel extensively, of course, creating memories, which seems like a great use of money, too.

When I meet women who don't care about jewellery, I'm all: o_O say what?

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock

I'm in London.

Until the last 4 or 5 years, it was pretty unusual to see even a 1 carat engagement ring in the UK, even in affluent areas of London (though super wealthy neighbourhoods such as Knightsbridge, Mayfair and Kensington have always been an exception).

This is partly to do with prices, we pay more for diamonds than you lucky Americans. Also we are don't do big bling really, many find it 'vulgar' or a 'waste of money' or 'showing off'. Not me however :naughty: :lol:

But it is changing slightly - I'm sure that is to do with embracing celebrity culture and seeing (mainly American!) women such as Kim K or Beyonce with massive rocks and UK celebs seem to be following suit. And of course we mere mortals tend to follow celebrity trends, like it or not!

Among my friends, I'd say a few of us have 1carat rocks and 2/3 carat eternities, we are mid to late 40s. Plus now a few have inherited rocks from sadly deceased mothers.

In general though (and I look A LOT!) most women wear 0.5 - 0.8 ct engagement rings I'd say. A 1 carat still stands out and catches my eye.

Another point, slightly off topic, but it seems from reading this site that RB rocks are the norm in America. In the UK I see way more emerald and square cuts than rounds.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Some people around here really sport some "honkers." I guess if I were getting all dressed up and going out (black tie) I'd be comfortable with 3 CTW- ish (I'm size 4.25) , but for day-to-day I like to switch between my 1 CTW solitaire ER and my 20th anniversary 3-stone (2 ct with the 1 ct sapphires on each side). For ME, people thinking I was wearing costume jewelry might bother me (not sure how I'd glean this)..... Honestly, I've been with some people with REALLY large rings and they seem to distract me too much. It's one thing to admire a ring, but I don't want to be hypnotized and unable to even concentrate on what a person's saying (ha ha); I guess I'd be uncomfortable if I saw people constantly sneaking a peek - either bc a ring was just SO big, or they maybe thought it was gaudy. Bottomline: I wear wedding rings (some combination) 24:7 - If I'm going too far out of my regular geographic area, it probably does occur to me that I want to go up or down with my 2- choices, otherwise I just wear what suits my mood. I dress uber casual, but do wear studs, pendant and tennis bracelet too - never take off except to clean.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results