shape
carat
color
clarity

iPhone or Samsung... which should I get?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1443087408|3931189 said:
ame, I appreciate your help, thank you.

I will only use Apple approved chargers with my Apple products. So if that's the case I am rethinking who to purchase the phone with and perhaps Apple is our best bet in that case. I am not penny wise dollar foolish and it isn't worth saving a little bit of money if it will mean more heartache in the long run.

Sorry you had that bad experience with Best Buy. So far I have only had good experiences with Costco and phone purchases and never had any non approved fees/extras from them but I will be thinking about my best plan of action based on what you wrote and appreciate you sharing your experience.
If you're comfortable with them, that's fine, just don't get snookered by the "freebies" thinking they're a big perk. I also don't want anyone "overspending" for the sake of spending. I am maybe overly cautious, but I've also been burned. So a lot of my "mandates" are from personal experience.

My desire for the newest every year is because I prefer the unit that has the native OS running on it and the best camera. I don't give a crap about the "live photos", and I hate SIRI and never use it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I liked this review:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/nicolenguyen/iphone-6s-review#.cnlzGRZ7Z

...and lol'd at this part since I am SO GUILTY of this:
Here is a screenshot of the images in Preview, shown at actual size. The new iPhone 6S is on the left, and the iPhone 6 is on the right. See how the succulent on the left is bigger? Because of the 12-megapixel camera, the 6s image is 1.5 times the resolution of the previous iPhone generation.
That means being able to print higher-quality photos for cards or your new gallery wall or whatever. It also means significantly better zoom for photo and video (which can now be shot in 4K), so you can creepshot whoever’s outfit you’re lusting after on the subway in high-res.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much ame! You have been a huge help with this decision. You're the best!!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My pleasure!!

I am sitting at the Apple Store now buying mine. I got a reservation for today. I'm also going to have my 6 checked out for my mom since I'm letting her use this for a while vs sell it right away bec they are debating if they want to upgrade and her 5s is in bad shape.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update:

ame, I took your advice and ordered the phones from the apple store. iPhone 6S plus in silver (64 gb) for me and 6S in silver (128gb) for my dh. Not expected to receive them until mid November (for me) and in about a week for my dh. I decided I did not care for the rose gold color and liked the silver with the white face best. I thought the price was actually reasonable too!

Thanks again for all your help. Looking forward to getting it and learning how to use it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1445343889|3940188 said:
Update:

ame, I took your advice and ordered the phones from the apple store. iPhone 6S plus in silver (64 gb) for me and 6S in silver (128gb) for my dh. Not expected to receive them until mid November (for me) and in about a week for my dh. I decided I did not care for the rose gold color and liked the silver with the white face best. I thought the price was actually reasonable too!

Thanks again for all your help. Looking forward to getting it and learning how to use it.
Certainly!!!

Look forward to hearing what you think, and hopefully you'll actually get yours sooner than that. Obviously, post if you have questions. Me/someone can answer. I gave my mom my 6 last week and she's adapted very well. I am quite used to my 6S as well ;-)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ame, Greg received his iPhone last night and so far he loves it! He misses the actual keyboard of the blackberry but loves the ease with which he can download all his apps including his music. Very pleased with the iPhone right now. I have to be patient for my iPhone but that's ok because this way he can become totally at ease with his and then show me how to use mine. Lol.

I'm glad your mom is loving your previous iPhone. :appl:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on making the step missy! I know you will love your phone. If you are looking for a good solid case, Speck makes really durable ones. If dropped mine on stone floors and no problems. I also bought the thicker fiberglass cover. I shattered my last phone. :lol:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
AWESOME!!!

I am also a Speck lover. They have a 15% off code right now on their site: TRICKORTREAT I buy them only from their site, from Best Buy or from Target, Apple store, ATT store. They have a clear one that's nice, if you want to see the phone.

Don't get it from Amazon. Usually fake, and the warranties aren't honored. I rarely buy things from Amazon or Ebay for this specific reason.

I also use screen protectors. TruProtection, PowerSupport or Spigen. I don't like the glass ones, but that's just me.

Hopefully yours is soon to follow!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks LLJsmom and Ame! I bookmarked your recommendations and sent the link to Greg. Love the 15% off coupon code too. Thank you!

OMG Greg just showed me a feature that is so awesome I am in love. The pic taking that captures a few moments before and after. Each pic is like a little video. He took a few pics of Tommy last night and they came out amazing. Wow, the movements captured right before and after the photo are incredible. Best thing ever!!! I am loving the phone so far and mine hasn't even arrived yet LOL. Last night Greg downloaded (not sure that is the correct term) all my previous Samsung stuff into a cloud for easier set up when my iPhone arrives. Yay!

Wish I could figure out how to share the Tommy pics with you. So cool what the iPhone does with them. :appl:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1445595303|3941277 said:
Thanks LLJsmom and Ame! I bookmarked your recommendations and sent the link to Greg. Love the 15% off coupon code too. Thank you!

OMG Greg just showed me a feature that is so awesome I am in love. The pic taking that captures a few moments before and after. Each pic is like a little video. He took a few pics of Tommy last night and they came out amazing. Wow, the movements captured right before and after the photo are incredible. Best thing ever!!! I am loving the phone so far and mine hasn't even arrived yet LOL. Last night Greg downloaded (not sure that is the correct term) all my previous Samsung stuff into a cloud for easier set up when my iPhone arrives. Yay!

Wish I could figure out how to share the Tommy pics with you. So cool what the iPhone does with them. :appl:
Now keep in mind, those live photos take up space, so if you have anything smaller than a 64G phone, that will burn through your space quick!

Set up a Dropbox account (they have a free one) and you can do a camera upload and back those up, then delete them off your phone to save space. I have a pay Dropbox (from my business), that I pay about $100 a year for, and do Camera backup stuff on as well, and then I have a paid larger iCloud account. I have a lot of backup storage because of the business. I value redundancy in that area. (I have no less than 4 hard drives for my computer, I keep three rotating at all times, and one solid that is my time machine, plus offsite storage.) Lots to back up!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received it yesterday woohoo! I love the phone and so far so good. My dh set it up for me and now I am just working through the learning curve with certain features I have to learn/get used to despite already having an iPad and mac air and macbook pro etc.

Haha when my dh first got home last night and was handing it to me he dropped it. LOLOL. It did not break thank goodness despite not having a case to protect it at that time. OMG that would have been a little bit aggravating. Good news it is hardier than I thought. :cheeky:

My next issue is the darn case. I don't love the one I got- the urban armor gear folio case but I got it because I was searching and searching for a protective case that could also hold cards and had a cover to protect the phone from my keys etc. But I am still searching and this one will have to do for now. The reason I did not go with a Speck case is that they are heavy and they did not have a wallet case I liked. I have been exhaustively searching articles etc for best iPhone 6s Plus cases and not loving the options.

Love the size. Not too big at all. Perfect.

Thank you again ame and LLJsmom for your recommendations. I am enjoying my iPhone so far. :appl:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My pleasure. Excuse me while I get myself back together after fainting from hearing you dropped it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha, you and me both! :shock:
Lol I was impressed by how calm I remained when he dropped it but I credit Callie for that as I was chatting with her on the landline when my dh came home from work and dropped it as he was getting ready to hand the phone to me. Whew. That was a close call. :!:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We ended up w/iphones a couple weeks ago. They're pretty fun, I gotta admit. I won't tell you how long I dorked around, playing w/the sounds to decide what I wanted. We got Otter Box cases-I don't know where they are in range of ok/good/better/best to have..but mine is navy w/white polka dots and it's cute. My dad pooh pooh'd the phones like crazy--until we got them and now mom has a new phone and their two friends also got new ones..not iphones, dad insists it's a bunch of malarky to spend that much, so I don't remember what they got.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi packrat! Glad you are enjoying your new iPhones. They are pretty sweet I have to say.

My mom has an Otter box case too and likes it. They are good cases. I just was looking for something that can hold cards and also that has a close cover option so my iPhone face doesn't get scratched by my keys etc. I don't trust the screen protectors (though I am still waiting on that delivery for some reason it got held up though I overnighted it). I wish I could find a wallet case that is protective too.

So far the Urban Armour Guard folio case I bought will have to do until I can find one I like better.

Enjoy your new phones!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
There's nothing that's going to 100% guarantee a full on protected screen. I've seen phones shatter INSIDE otterboxes. Everyone in my office is on like their third phone that were all INSIDE otterboxes. I have never shattered a single phone, and I use film protectors with Speck cases. I am also a PSYCHO about how I treat them, and most people are not.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame said:
There's nothing that's going to 100% guarantee a full on protected screen. I've seen phones shatter INSIDE otterboxes. Everyone in my office is on like their third phone that were all INSIDE otterboxes. I have never shattered a single phone, and I use film protectors with Speck cases. I am also a PSYCHO about how I treat them, and most people are not.

Agree completely. I know it doesn't seem like it but I am super careful with my things too and it was my dh who dropped the phone LOL. When things like that happen I remind myself it is just money and not to get too upset because it is just not worth it (for me).

I have decided on no screen protector for now. Case only. Because after doing more research I have a headache since there are so many options and none of them perfect enough. The drawbacks don't outweigh the positives IMO and we are getting AppleCare plus anyway which will cover a broken screen I believe. Plus, the jury is out on whether the protectors actually protect the screen from breaking anyway.

I have a folio case (UAG Folio case) so the screen is protected in my pocketbook from anything that might scratch it so I think I am good. Good news is my case is growing on me. I don't like that stupid attachment of the cover to the back of the case (and I don't like the back of the case and the huge lettering of UAG on the front of the case is annoying) but it is still better than all the other cases I researched as of now so until I find something I prefer this is the case I am using.

image-13-11-15-08-16-1.jpeg

image-13-11-15-08-16-2.jpeg

image-13-11-15-08-16.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results