shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique pin-is deconstructing it a bad idea?

rimjaja

Rough_Rock
While I love the pin, people don't wear pins much. You could have a jeweler take all of the stones laid out in the exact same format and made a gorgeous bypass ring

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Earrings out of the ends and a shorter pendant with the centre and a few diamonds each side. I would not change the design as you would never find one the same again.

DonnaH

Rough_Rock
What about a lengthwise bar type necklace? Here's a pic of a silver one.

_34840.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and comments! I found out some other information on the possible provenance on the pin, so am going to take some time and try and do a little more research on it. In the meantime, I will be wearing the pin as a pendant :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering if anyone has a good referance for antique makers marks? Markings are worn-so tough to photograph.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the referance!

I have looked through so many makers marks and so far nothing matches :(

This one is vertical(and on the stick pin portion, along with the eagles head stamp for 18k) with what looks like a c with a v attached to the top of it, then a lyre/ harp with three petals at the bottom of it. There is also another mark on a disc inside the pin that i am having a tough time interpreting-this portion is platinum, but it is looking like more than just the purity mark.

More searching I guess. There used to be a blog that you could ask the members for help with the marks, but I am not finding that any more.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Is the C more like a half moon under the V and is it in an hexagonal box

or does it look like the V may have once been an M but the side legs are warn away

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
Great looking pin. They look really nice on winter coats.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Sphene|1445075365|3939184 said:
Is the C more like a half moon under the V and is it in an hexagonal box

or does it look like the V may have once been an M but the side legs are warn away
Sorry this took so long to get back to you-I dropped my loupe and broke it, so am waiting for a new one to arrive so I can take another look at the maker's mark.

The box the maker's mark is in, is on the rounded surface of the stick pin and edges are worn, so I am not sure I can tell what shape box it is. I will take a closer look at your other questions when my new loupe arrives and get back to you- thank you for your interst in helping. I find maker's marks fascinating and frustrating at the same time!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
FancyIntense|1445151631|3939485 said:
Great looking pin. They look really nice on winter coats.
Thank you!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
DiaGem|1444380981|3936555 said:
stepcutnut|1444272588|3936095 said:
The pin in question!

I don't think it would survive bangling it, a long pendant maybe.

Beautiful pin, are the borders set with sapphires and emeralds or enamel?
Btw, pins are making a comeback IMO but reconstructing new wearable art is always exiting and allowable..., no?

Enjoy it, it's beatifull.
Thank you-the borders are set with sapphires and emeralds.

fioratura

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The pin in question!

I don't think it would survive bangling it, a long pendant maybe.

_468.jpeg

This pin is so amazing. I think taking it apart is a big mistake! It’s perfect!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results