shape
carat
color
clarity

Esperanza Diamond- Must read for pricescopers!

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Very cool! And the super high color and clarity just adds to the fun. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos of how it turned out! :appl:

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
What a fascinating story!

Evert P Botha

Rough_Rock
Trade
She's been resting for the last couple of days. I managed to squeeze a couple of pictures- but as you can imagine, she is no the easiest model to shoot. We will be getting some close-up shortly.

img_8487.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kathley|1444172127|3935559 said:
DH and I stopped by Jim Summa's today regarding an antique stone that we had (as Jim and his staff are the most knowledgeable in the area!) and happened to talk about the Esperanza diamond. This diamond will be coming to Jim's store for public viewing and we are so excited about this and look forward to seeing the Esperanza in person!!

Is she going on tour? Will she be making any stops in California?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
VRBeauty|1444260137|3936000 said:
kathley|1444172127|3935559 said:
DH and I stopped by Jim Summa's today regarding an antique stone that we had (as Jim and his staff are the most knowledgeable in the area!) and happened to talk about the Esperanza diamond. This diamond will be coming to Jim's store for public viewing and we are so excited about this and look forward to seeing the Esperanza in person!!

Is she going on tour? Will she be making any stops in California?
She's going to visit with AGS jewelers throughout the country. Ask your favorite jeweler if they're on the tour. If they're AGS members and they're not on the list, have them call up the office and see if they can get on the schedule. If they're not AGS members, maybe they should be. :D

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will there be a schedule of what stores it'll be at? Even if it's not near me, if it's on display somewhere in CO I imagine I can get there.

Evert P Botha

Rough_Rock
Trade
Esperanza's tour dates will be posted in coming weeks- but as mentioned earlier, she will be at Summa Jewelers in St. Louis, MO. She will also spend the month of December back home at Stanley Jewelers in North Little Rock, AR. February she will make stops in Texas and Florida- details to be announced soon.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would love to be able to see her. I hope they are careful with that point. Will it be specially protected as she moves from store to store?

Jim Summa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
[Post by denverappraiser » October 3rd, 2015, 8:11 am

One of the wild things about this particular stone is the difficulty of photographing it. Diamonds are tricky anyway but with this particular one a lot of the beauty is in the 3D component. There is no table and there is no direction that you would really describe as face up. When you see it, it very much draws in your attention and it leads viewers to want to play with it and look from all angles. It's like nothing they've ever seen before and people tend to 'experience' it rather than just take a peak from a distance and then move on. Unfortunately, none of that really comes through in a photograph. *]

Kenny-What would you think about photographing the Esperanza when it is back in St. Louis next month?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jim Summa|1444339088|3936410 said:
[Post by denverappraiser » October 3rd, 2015, 8:11 am

One of the wild things about this particular stone is the difficulty of photographing it. Diamonds are tricky anyway but with this particular one a lot of the beauty is in the 3D component. There is no table and there is no direction that you would really describe as face up. When you see it, it very much draws in your attention and it leads viewers to want to play with it and look from all angles. It's like nothing they've ever seen before and people tend to 'experience' it rather than just take a peak from a distance and then move on. Unfortunately, none of that really comes through in a photograph. *]

Kenny-What would you think about photographing the Esperanza when it is back in St. Louis next month?

Looks like the gem is not photogenic (I understand your difficulties).
I was hoping to see clearer images depicting the 3D craftsmanship of the facets. I bet Kenny would do wonders photographing this Diamond sculpture :angel:

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What an incredibly fascinating story for both Neil & Evert. If the stone is hard to photograph, why not set it under a set of jewelry store lights? Even frozen spit can sparkle. LOL In all seriousness however, its a beautiful & unique diamond. I hope the sale is a great success.

Judy :))

Evert P Botha

Rough_Rock
Trade
One of the many reasons I love my job is that I get to play around with the occasional historic diamond.
img_8729.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful!!! Forgive my geeky questions but does it have any fluorescence, the photo of the rough comes up with a slight blue tint to it that the cut stone doesn't have on my computer screen. The chemical composition of it sounds amazing!!! You should be marketing it as pure as they come too :sun:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Amazing stone and story! I wish we could see a video but the last pic was better than the previous ones, yes it would be cool if Kenny agreed to photograph it.

I bet that due to publicity it would fetch a much higher price if it was to go up for auction.

Jim Summa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
fullsizerender__3__4.jpg

Pictured are 3 views of the Esperanza, on the cutter's bench, in the early stages of cutting at Stanley Jewelers in Little Rock. I hope this helps people visualize the stone's final shape.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fascinating story and beautiful unique diamond. I hope it makes a visit to the Denver area; I'd go see it.

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is incredible! Absolutely mesmerizing! Thank you for sharing!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love the video!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!

Evert P Botha

Rough_Rock
Trade
So...the one thing Esperanza hasn't been put through is a presentation ASET. image_89.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So - was any of the material cut from the rough salvageable? Will the owner, or others who participated in the process, get a "baby diamond" cut from the Esperanza rough?

These photos are very cool, by the way!

Evert P Botha

Rough_Rock
Trade
Due to Esperanza's unique shape- every bit that was removed during the blocking and polishing process returned to it's non-crystallized carbon form...ashes to ashes, dust to dust. So there's but one Esperanza diamond! Esperanza's carbon molecules are floating around- in all likelihood, sticking to the walls of Stanley Jewelers Gemologist.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jim Summa|1444502257|3937020 said:
fullsizerender__3__4.jpg

Pictured are 3 views of the Esperanza, on the cutter's bench, in the early stages of cutting at Stanley Jewelers in Little Rock. I hope this helps people visualize the stone's final shape.

I was wondering how Mike determined the cut of Esperanza? I'm sure it's shape is in part determined by the rough, however, how does a cutter "design" the actual cut and faceting pattern? It's such a unique cut that my mind is curious how she was conceptualized. The drawing is so fascinating to me because of the detailed angles and lines.

MikeBotha

Rough_Rock
Trade
JDDN|1444763224|3937891 said:
fullsizerender__3__4.jpg

I was wondering how Mike determined the cut of Esperanza? I'm sure it's shape is in part determined by the rough, however, how does a cutter "design" the actual cut and faceting pattern? It's such a unique cut that my mind is curious how she was conceptualized. The drawing is so fascinating to me because of the detailed angles and lines.

The rough shape of the Esperanza looked like a sweet potato or one of those long mangos with one point jutting upwards slightly.When I saw the rough I noticed it was slightly flattened on one side and I figured that we need to go with I triangular configuration rather than the normal cylindrical profile of the briolette design- that's where the triolette design came into play. The design is like three emerald shapes in the centre with their tables and crowns visible, flanked on either side by 3 sets of trapezoids which taper to a point on either end. The result of the design is 7 sets of seven facets on each of the sides of the triolette for a total of 147 facets and two tiny culet like facets on the points to prevent chipping. The Esperanza is designed to be mounted in such a way that it is being held in position by the two points with one of the flat surfaces facing outward. :geek:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EmbeeDiamonds|1444762567|3937888 said:
Due to Esperanza's unique shape- every bit that was removed during the blocking and polishing process returned to it's non-crystallized carbon form...ashes to ashes, dust to dust. So there's but one Esperanza diamond! Esperanza's carbon molecules are floating around- in all likelihood, sticking to the walls of Stanley Jewelers Gemologist.

;(

Oh well.

Reading between the lines, are you saying that all of the surfaces were ground rather than cut?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MikeBotha|1444766273|3937908 said:
JDDN|1444763224|3937891 said:
fullsizerender__3__4.jpg

The rough shape of the Esperanza looked like a sweet potato or one of those long mangos with one point jutting upwards slightly.When I saw the rough I noticed it was slightly flattened on one side and I figured that we need to go with I triangular configuration rather than the normal cylindrical profile of the briolette design- that's where the triolette design came into play. The design is like three emerald shapes in the centre with their tables and crowns visible, flanked on either side by 3 sets of trapezoids which taper to a point on either end. The result of the design is 7 sets of seven facets on each of the sides of the triolette for a total of 147 facets and two tiny culet like facets on the points to prevent chipping. The Esperanza is designed to be mounted in such a way that it is being held in position by the two points with one of the flat surfaces facing outward. :geek:

I love the geek! So very, very, very cool. I would have LOVED to have seen her cut. Totally not boring, but fascinating!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results