shape
carat
color
clarity

Pre 1975 Platinum Oval Sapphire ring..any idea on age?

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm new here and would appreciate some help, recently I was very lucky to be given this beautiful RHR as a present and I'd love to know a bit more about it if anyone can help.
I do intend to get it professionally assessed but not yet as I can't bear to leave it with the jeweller as its new to me! I've read a lot on this site and I know it's not eye clean as it has what seems to be called a 'veil' ( doesn't diminish it's beauty) and that it has some 'extinction' but it's gorgeous to me and everyone who's seen it says it's stunning. The photo is taken indoors with diffused natural light but from an angle and not showing the ring at its best, the cut is symmetrical and the top table and culet are true, not misaligned...as I've got a thing about that! I don't know if the diamonds are rbc or something else.
According to the reputable jeweller its a 'pre-loved' Platinum ring with an approximately 3ct natural blue Sapphire and approx 0.25ct of natural diamonds set around it. They can only date it as pre 1975 as it doesn't have a Hallmark ( I was told and have read since that in the UK Platinum hallmarking wasn't legally required until 1975) but it has been 'thoroughly tested' by them as Platinum, sapphire and diamonds for them to be confident about what they're selling and writing on the documentation. I'm fascinated by its history and so I'd really appreciate any ideas about its age, style etc. I keep thinking Edwardian/Art Deco....1950's.....but maybe it's just ...1970's!

_463.jpeg

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looking at it outdoors today, I don't think it does have any 'extinction' now as the darker areas had completely disappeared and they only reappeared when I returned indoors to try and photograph it again in the same location...so I think it was either my window surround or my gadget/camera shadow causing it...foolish or what! Would love an opinion on age or setting style etc...

planet_jp

Rough_Rock
No idea of its age, but just wanted to say I think it's gorgeous!

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you planet_jp
I keep having to look at it as I really am amazed that it's mine!

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning stone and ring!

We'd need more and better pictures to begin to hazard a guess on the age. Do you have a macro lens? Cropping photos in order to fill the frame with the ring can help too, since Pricescope tends to reduce image quality.

Shots that would help:
A close up, head-on picture of one of the diamonds, so we can see the cut.
A profile view
A side view
An underside view
Really, as many views as possible.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Urseberry,
Thank you, I'll take more photos tomorrow as its night here now.
I don't believe I have a macro on my phone (these are phone photos), but my camera does and so I'll try that tomorrow. Here's a different view, I've cropped it to enlarge it, hope that helps.
I'd like the ring to be from a 'special' time period but 'sods law' might apply! I'll love it whatever age it turns out to be. Thank you for your help.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry..forgot to attach the photo! Please excuse my hand!

_475.jpeg

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry, issues with my laptop so I can't load the SD card photos, so here's a couple more phone images taken over the bath to try and get a white background, hope these help. It's a very simple ring, I like the fact it lets the sapphire do the talking :)

_476.jpeg

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here's the underneath, think it's possible to see the 'veil' in this one.

_477.jpeg

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
The diamonds look like single cuts, which were indeed commonly used as accent stones in the Art Deco era. Also, the back of it is fully azured, meaning that the maximum amount of metal was cut away to allow as much light and cleaning access to the back of the stones as possible. That is an expensive, labor-intensive process that is more common in antique pieces and less common in modern ones. Beyond that, it's pretty hard for a layperson like myself to say. You might get more attention if you message the administrator (use the "Report Concern" button) and have this moved to Rocky Talky. Nice ring! Enjoy it in good health.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's fascinating, thank you for all the information and your good wishes Urseberry, very kind of you. I'd be delighted if it was Art Deco.
I'll do a little bit of reading about single cuts now as I'm not sure what that means exactly, so I'm wondering if it's similar to the Rose cut and thank you for the explanation of 'azured', really interesting :)
When I've got a little more free time I'll follow the route you suggested re Rocky Talk.
I really do appreciate your help, thank you and best wishes.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I vote Edwardian or Art Deco as well, for all the excellent reasons that UrseBerry mentions, and one more besides. See those delicate circles supporting the shoulders? They're a very common marker for pieces from that period. Beautiful ring!

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you Circe, I do love it, and thank you for the new info. I didn't realise the little circles had any significance age wise, with the info from Urseberry and yourself this is getting better and better, very exciting, thank you for your help.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results