shape
carat
color
clarity

Beauty Products You Are Loving...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so... apparently I need hydration under my eyes. Who knew?

I'm not looking for a miracle. And couldn't afford one anyway. I don't need it to do anything fancy.

I'd like something that hydrates. That I can wear under concealer. That is gentle and won't bother my sensitive skin.

And that is affordable. So under 35 bucks, but ideally under 30.

Any recommendations? Just basic, isn't going to cause my skin to burn or peel or break out, eye cream.

TIA.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I've noticed that I've had a fair amount of hair breakage lately (for reference, my hair type is long and naturally straight). I'm not exactly sure of the cause - I don't pull my hair back or wear hair accessories that would break my hair, I sleep on a silk pillowcase, and I really don't do much anymore in terms of styling tools (I stopped using my flat iron and I use a heated styling brush, but mostly just on weekends). I think that I baby my hair. I know that I sometimes have an issue with product build-up, which can lead to breakage, but I've started using a clarifying shampoo a couple of times per week to avoid that. Does anyone have any suggestions for products that can strengthen hair and help to avoid breakage? I read that Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Keratin products are good (especially the Keratriplex Treatment) - has anyone used this?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy said:
I've noticed that I've had a fair amount of hair breakage lately (for reference, my hair type is long and naturally straight). I'm not exactly sure of the cause - I don't pull my hair back or wear hair accessories that would break my hair, I sleep on a silk pillowcase, and I really don't do much anymore in terms of styling tools (I stopped using my flat iron and I use a heated styling brush, but mostly just on weekends). I think that I baby my hair. I know that I sometimes have an issue with product build-up, which can lead to breakage, but I've started using a clarifying shampoo a couple of times per week to avoid that. Does anyone have any suggestions for products that can strengthen hair and help to avoid breakage? I read that Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Keratin products are good (especially the Keratriplex Treatment) - has anyone used this?

momhappy, have you tried hair vitamins? Specifically Viviscal can be quite good for some people and comes highly recommended by my derm. Otherwise silk pillowcase, gentle products and minimal handling/babying your hair/no heat styling sounds like you are doing everything right. You eat well and sleep well and take care of yourself so that is my next best guess. Hair vitamins. And Biotin is also recommended (in Viviscal too I believe). It could be hormonal changes causing the hair breakage but the hair vitamins might still help.

Gypsy said:

I'm not looking for a miracle. And couldn't afford one anyway. I don't need it to do anything fancy.

I'd like something that hydrates. That I can wear under concealer. That is gentle and won't bother my sensitive skin.

Any recommendations? Just basic, isn't going to cause my skin to burn or peel or break out, eye cream.

TIA.

Gypsy, I am far from a skin expert but I really love Cicalfate by Avene. It is super gentle, super hydrating and not expensive and my skin is incredibly hypersensitive to almost everything. It is on the thick side however and best for dry skin.

http://www.aveneusa.com/cicalfate-restorative-skin-cream

I don't remember your skin type so I am sorry if this isn't a good rec for you. If you have less dry skin I also love Toleriane Ultra by La Roche Posay.

http://www.laroche-posay.us/toleriane-ultra-3337872412486.html#cm_mmc=cpc-_-googleSearchBrand-_-Search+-+LRP+Products+-+ex_Toleriane-_-kw%3A+la+roche+posay+toleriane+ultra&gclid=Cj0KEQjwqNiwBRDnq93MioaqtKQBEiQAb7Ezn8jMWYWQ1t1OXM2iMEpAuE7K-kqTAYp0aJu-U_EgbecaAnTQ8P8HAQ&start=6&cgid=collection-toleriane

I recommend staying away from Vaseline and anything like it that is occlusive. You really don't need a special cream for under the eyes. Just make sure what you are using is hydrating and gentle and there is no need to spend big bucks on a special under the eye cream. I hope you find something good for you.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can anyone recommend an eye makeup remover that is effective and yet doesn't cost too much? My friend's daughter is a stage actress on Broadway and goes through truckloads of the stuff. She says she can't keep buying Clinique at $20 per bottle (she's young and doesn't earn much) but has tried the L'Oreal stuff at $5 per bottle and it stings a little, and also doesn't do a great job.

If anyone knows of an effective eye makeup remover between the $5 and the $20 range, please let us know! I said I'd ask the PS Ladies. :wavey:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've done some research and Neutrogena Oil-Free Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover is popular, as is Sephora's own-brand oil-free eye makeup remover.

Has anyone used either of these?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1444306136|3936218 said:
Gypsy, I am far from a skin expert but I really love Cicalfate by Avene. It is super gentle, super hydrating and not expensive and my skin is incredibly hypersensitive to almost everything. It is on the thick side however and best for dry skin.

I don't remember your skin type so I am sorry if this isn't a good rec for you. If you have less dry skin I also love Toleriane Ultra by La Roche Posay.

http://www.laroche-posay.us/toleriane-ultra-3337872412486.html#cm_mmc=cpc-_-googleSearchBrand-_-Search+-+LRP+Products+-+ex_Toleriane-_-kw%3A+la+roche+posay+toleriane+ultra&gclid=Cj0KEQjwqNiwBRDnq93MioaqtKQBEiQAb7Ezn8jMWYWQ1t1OXM2iMEpAuE7K-kqTAYp0aJu-U_EgbecaAnTQ8P8HAQ&start=6&cgid=collection-toleriane

I recommend staying away from Vaseline and anything like it that is occlusive. You really don't need a special cream for under the eyes. Just make sure what you are using is hydrating and gentle and there is no need to spend big bucks on a special under the eye cream. I hope you find something good for you.

Thank you Missy! I have combination skin and am prone to blackheads and milia. I am happy to check out your recommendations. My biggest concern is making sure that nothing I use is going to irritate my sensitive skin.

Thank you!!

jess719

Shiny_Rock
Jambalaya|1444321319|3936307 said:
Can anyone recommend an eye makeup remover that is effective and yet doesn't cost too much? My friend's daughter is a stage actress on Broadway and goes through truckloads of the stuff. She says she can't keep buying Clinique at $20 per bottle (she's young and doesn't earn much) but has tried the L'Oreal stuff at $5 per bottle and it stings a little, and also doesn't do a great job.

If anyone knows of an effective eye makeup remover between the $5 and the $20 range, please let us know! I said I'd ask the PS Ladies. :wavey:

DHC Deep Cleansing Oil. It takes EVERYTHING off. One pump will take off a full face of makeup. Also recommended by my esthetician. You put it on dry skin and then rinse off. Doesn't leave anything behind and works on waterproof makeup as well. They have it on amazon.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1444323898|3936320 said:
I've done some research and Neutrogena Oil-Free Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover is popular, as is Sephora's own-brand oil-free eye makeup remover.

Has anyone used either of these?

I was just writing a comment to recommend the Sephora one. Haven't used the Neutrogena one but I've been using the Sephora one for years and have gone through several bottles of it.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
re: Living Proof - I have converted to entirely Living Proof styling products. I don't use their shampoo/conditioner because my scalp is very sensitive and the shampoo I'm using now is working and I'm afraid to change, lol, but their styling products work very well with my hair.

packrat|1443991859|3934804 said:
One of my friends is having a Jamberry party on FB and I happened to be toodling around on the party page and saw Jamberry has a gel nails system called Trushine. https://kojamms.jamberry.com/trushine/

I've not looked for other gel systems, I just was curious when I saw it if others use anything, not specifically this one necessarily.

I have a gel nail thing. I got it at Walgreens and I've also seen it at CVS. "Sensationail." It's LED light rather than UV. It's really good - the only problem is my nails are super thin and brittle and while they are GORGEOUS with the gel polish on them, soaking them in acetone to remove it destroyyyyys them. So now I just use it before I go on vacation basically.

Chrono|1444138368|3935342 said:
I gave the hyaluronic acid serum a go but unfortunately, I'm still breaking out with very deep rooted bumps that takes weeks to resolve. I saw a Wilma Schumann sensitive skin serum and am giving it a try. It supposedly removes the redness over time, in addition to providing some moisture for dry skin.

That sucks. Hopefully the new thing will help!

Gypsy|1444297747|3936179 said:

I don't use any special eyecream - I just use my regular lotions, just sometimes something different or in addition to whatever is on the rest of my face. Also, I am not shy with slathering the chemical exfoliants in the eye area. You're probably not supposed to but it definitely makes makeup go on better, lol.

I don't really see the point in an extra eyecream - especially since most of them come in little pots which is insanely unsanitary. I'm going to dip my finger in the little pot night after night, leaving dirt and bacteria in it night after night, where it will grow and I will then smear it on my EYE AREA? No thanks. I'm going to stick with giant pump bottles.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
momhappy said:

momhappy, have you tried hair vitamins? Specifically Viviscal can be quite good for some people and comes highly recommended by my derm. Otherwise silk pillowcase, gentle products and minimal handling/babying your hair/no heat styling sounds like you are doing everything right. You eat well and sleep well and take care of yourself so that is my next best guess. Hair vitamins. And Biotin is also recommended (in Viviscal too I believe). It could be hormonal changes causing the hair breakage but the hair vitamins might still help.

Gypsy said:

TIA.

Thanks missy! I have hair vitamins, but I've not been taking them lately. Life has been crazy-stressful, so much so that I have developed an itchy rash on my face, neck, and chest. It's possible that maybe my stress/anxiety is contributing to the condition of my hair. I started taking my hair vitamins again last night, so hopefully, that will help.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jess719 and distracts- thank you very much for your replies xxx

Distracts - I had a sample of a Living Proof product and I was very impressed by it. But I go through quite a lot of hair product and I find LP expensive, so I often use Garnier instead! The Garnier products - you know, the ones in the bright green containers - are not quite as good as LP or as good as the other hair products I like such as Aveda, but for the price I find them reasonably close. I know the LP products are not expensive on their own but once you add in all the other products that you use each day, it all adds up! I'm not surprised the LP products are good - Jennifer Aniston has put her name to them!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Distracts. I saw a slight increase in breakouts the first day, but as of today (3rd day), everything is receding with signs of healing. :dance: Their eye cream comes in a tube (which you can squeeze a dab out onto your finger) and is very light so it is absorbed completely and immediately. The colour is a gross brownish yellow though.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock

Rimmel Eye Make Up Remover is the best for me. Its inexpensive {about $6. a bottle}, leaves absolutely no residue and removes make up with two or three swipes. My drugstore always lets me know when they receive a shipment, because I buy 4 or 5 bottles at a time.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can anyone recommend a good root-lift spray? I have the pancake-flat hair, and I'm looking for something a little better than the Garnier root lift, which does work but leaves your hair stiff. Thanks!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Amber St Clare! :wavey:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1444400030|3936607 said:
Can anyone recommend a good root-lift spray? I have the pancake-flat hair, and I'm looking for something a little better than the Garnier root lift, which does work but leaves your hair stiff. Thanks!
Sometimes dry shampoo is better for volume because it provides really soft lift. You can google "dry shampoo for volume" and see all kinds of advice for how to use it.

There are also volumizing powders that work REALLY well and might be more economical.

Batiste makes both. I haven't tried their volumizing powder, but I use their dry shampoo religiously.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh, good advice, House Cat! I never thought of dry shampoo. I'm attempting to get my hair-washing down to twice a week instead of every other day, because styling takes so long, so perhaps the dry shampoo will help. Twice a week means there is one period where you go four days and I'm not sure if I'll be able to stand the fourth day!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1444399718|3936600 said:
Thanks, Distracts. I saw a slight increase in breakouts the first day, but as of today (3rd day), everything is receding with signs of healing. :dance: Their eye cream comes in a tube (which you can squeeze a dab out onto your finger) and is very light so it is absorbed completely and immediately. The colour is a gross brownish yellow though.

Glad to hear the new product seems to be helping. As an aside related to the color - I once had an Avene product that was yellow and I am so pale that when I put it on it turned my face yellow! It seemed to work well but THE COLOR omg. I don't know why they couldn't have made it clear like other lotions.

Jambalaya|1444399175|3936591 said:

re: makeup removal I also recommend a microfiber cloth to help remove it. Everyone goes nuts about this "makeup eraser" cloth but pretty much any microfiber cloth will do, and you can buy a package of several for the price of one makeup eraser.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1444407576|3936642 said:
Chrono|1444399718|3936600 said:

Glad to hear the new product seems to be helping. As an aside related to the color - I once had an Avene product that was yellow and I am so pale that when I put it on it turned my face yellow! It seemed to work well but THE COLOR omg. I don't know why they couldn't have made it clear like other lotions.

Jambalaya|1444399175|3936591 said:

re: makeup removal I also recommend a microfiber cloth to help remove it. Everyone goes nuts about this "makeup eraser" cloth but pretty much any microfiber cloth will do, and you can buy a package of several for the price of one makeup eraser.
You can get microfiber cloths at the dollar store. This was a little trick some ladies I knew talked about when they first figured out how great microfiber was for exfoliating the body.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.amazon.com/Salux-Nylon-Japanese-Beauty-Cloth/dp/B000CSDDDG

ok, here is my favorite thing in the whole world for body exfoliation. This was recommended to me by an esthetician. She had THE BEST skin!! She told me to use it every day to get rid of the dead skin on my body. I love it because it isn't too soft and isn't too rough AND they are long enough to use across your back. They dry out in between uses. I can't say enough good things about these little towels. They are cheap too! Just read the reviews! Everyone loves them.

There are plenty of knock offs around. I have tried them. They don't compare.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the new Kat Von D lipstick colors, especially the green one.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
momhappy said:

If you don't want to try Viviscal you can try the Hairfinity or the "It Works" Hair Skin Nails versions. Both are very effective (I've used all three for extensive testing) and the latter are vegetarian friendly. Viviscal has shark something in it, which was not appealing to me. I found it and the It Works versions to be most effective though. The It Works is the best priced but it requires to to be signed up with someone involved in that giant pyramid scheme nonsense. So that's a huge tradeoff. Viviscal you can get I think at Ulta and walgreens but it costs way more.

jess719|1444352798|3936471 said:

DHC Deep Cleansing Oil. It takes EVERYTHING off. One pump will take off a full face of makeup. Also recommended by my esthetician. You put it on dry skin and then rinse off. Doesn't leave anything behind and works on waterproof makeup as well. They have it on amazon.
THIS THIS THIS THIS.

I buy it directly from DHC, a few times a year it will go on special for a few bucks off. That bottle will last a while. I have been using it for like more than a decade. One-two pumps on DRY SKIN, around the eyes obviously, work it around for about 30 seconds, count to ten letting it sit, then add a little water and it will start breaking down. Then rinse. I usually do that as I am getting into the shower (I wear a "whore's eye" with 10lbs of waterproof liner and mascara) and then at the end of my shower using a foaming face wash to rewash my face so I can get conditioner residue and any leftover whatever off my skin. My skin is in great shape from doing this.

Since I've been using it so long, I have earned a ton of points and cash them in and by now have like 10 of the little tiny travel ones, and I basically keep one of those in a ziploc in my travel liquids bag, I use it til it runs out, toss it and replace it. I also bought the "small" pump one that is like 2oz or something. I keep that on the ledge by my shower, and refill from the full size ones. I only buy when the fullsize ones are on sale. I buy two or three at a time. My sister also uses it. My mom nor my MIL wear much makeup but both are converts. My MIL has made the mini pump one last for like a year and a half. My mom has made a full size last two years plus. My SIL uses one from another brand but only tried doing the double cleanse based on learning about it from me.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

This is good.

http://www.bioderma.com/en/our-products/sensibio/h2o

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Jambalaya|1444407241|3936641 said:
Oooh, good advice, House Cat! I never thought of dry shampoo. I'm attempting to get my hair-washing down to twice a week instead of every other day, because styling takes so long, so perhaps the dry shampoo will help. Twice a week means there is one period where you go four days and I'm not sure if I'll be able to stand the fourth day!

I've tested a handful of dry shampoo brands for my daughter's hair. The best one we've found so far is Batiste Dry Shampoo. We use original, but I think they make one for light-colored hair and one for dark-colored hair.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madam Bijoux|1444504258|3937034 said:
I love the new Kat Von D lipstick colors, especially the green one.
I am trying to get her liquid lipstick in Lolita. It is ALWAYS sold out. It MUST be amazing if everyone is buying it off the shelves each time it comes into stock!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy said:

TIA.

I adore the the Sebamed line. It's formulated for sensitive skin (which I have), and I have had no trouble whatsoever using it, and I've used the night cream every night for several years. It's inexpensive and I get mine from Amazon. If you've got sensitive skin it could be worth investigating!

http://www.sebamed.com

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Jambalaya said:

I know this sounds crazy, but I completely stopped shampooing my hair and it has been the BEST THING EVER! I only use conditioner--I use it on my whole head and massage it into my scalp really well like I am shampooing and then rinse it out. My hair looks clean, smells clean and feels clean. Shampoo, it turns out, is totally unnecessary for me. I have less breakage, my hair texture is better and I have more volume. Plus now it takes about 3-4 days before my hair begins to look dirty/greasy, whereas it used to look oily after a day or two.

One of my close friends has brittle, baby fine hair and she used to wash her hair every day, but has started doing the "conditioner method" and now only shampoos 1-2x a week, and she's seen an improvement too so it's not just me. Can't hurt to try it, as you don't need to buy anything special!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuffyluvr|1444526381|3937112 said:
Jambalaya said:

I know this sounds crazy, but I completely stopped shampooing my hair and it has been the BEST THING EVER! I only use conditioner--I use it on my whole head and massage it into my scalp really well like I am shampooing and then rinse it out. My hair looks clean, smells clean and feels clean. Shampoo, it turns out, is totally unnecessary for me. I have less breakage, my hair texture is better and I have more volume. Plus now it takes about 3-4 days before my hair begins to look dirty/greasy, whereas it used to look oily after a day or two.

One of my close friends has brittle, baby fine hair and she used to wash her hair every day, but has started doing the "conditioner method" and now only shampoos 1-2x a week, and she's seen an improvement too so it's not just me. Can't hurt to try it, as you don't need to buy anything special!
Tuffy, I do this too, but I DO end up shampooing once a week. Any other day, I co-wash. I just have to make sure I really get the conditioner mixed in with the oilier spots in my hair, let it sit for a minute or two, then add a little water and sort of lather it...then rinse and I am good to go! My hair has grown SO LONG because of this!

I just use whatever conditioner I am loving at the time. I actually found that products like WEN were way too drying.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm..I might try this conditioner washing sometime. Interesting. Do you guys use product in your hair? If you do, does it build up by not using shampoo to clean it off? What about when you get sweaty? Does just using conditioner still work?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've done the no-wash thing before. I think I went two weeks longest, but I work at home. I couldn't have gone to the office like that - too greasy, and obviously over time the styling falls out and it looked a frizzy mess from halfway down through to the ends. I looked up about the trend for not washing, and experts say you do need to wash the dirt and oil out or your scalp will suffer. They seemed to recommend a couple of times a week. I'm attempting to wash my hair Sundays and Thursdays only, whereas it used to be every other day.

Regarding washing with conditioner, I think I tried that when I was doing the no-wash thing, but I can't remember the result. I think it did leave my hair soft and fresher, but not as cleansed as with shampoo. Given that conditioner isn't a cleanser, I wonder if never using shampoo but only conditioner would lead to skin problems on your scalp from not getting rid of the dirt and oil. (Edit: tuffyluvr, just seen your response and that co-wash works well for you. Cool!)

I'm not sure why shampoo has gotten such a bad rap in recent years. Maybe because dermatologists and hairdressers were seeing too many people with dried-out hair and flaky scalps from over-washing. The experts seem to agree that very few people need to wash their hair every day, but I know many who do.

I couldn't go any real length of time without shampooing and I didn't really enjoy the no-wash thing, which I did for a few weeks. (Washing every two weeks.) I had to wear a baseball cap when I went out after 4-5 days - but it's true that I had much, much more time!

Washing my hair only twice a week will be a challenge enough! IMO, shampooing is necessary for myself and OK as long as it's not overdone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results