shape
carat
color
clarity

Do some states have stricter standards for kids' products?

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
I've been shopping for furniture to organize my daughter's toys, and I noticed that a table can't be shipped to CA and a bookcase can't be shipped to Maine or Washington. I know CA has stricter VOC standards than other states, but I don't know why the bookcase can't be shipped to Maine or Washington. Does anyone have any ideas?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Do some states have stricter standards for kids' product

The bookcase is probably made of a wood laminate that emits more formaldehyde than is allowed under California's 2007 Composite Wood Products law. Formaldehyde is a toxic compound - you might recall when FEMA came under fire some of the temporary shelters it made available post-Katrina had formaldehyde levels that made people ill.

Maine bans products that emit high levels of formaldehyde under its "Regulation of Chemical Use in Children's Products" law. The State of Washington similarly has identified formaldehyde as a "chemical of concern for children." I don't know whether these states' regulations piggy-backed on California's regulation (most likely) or if they established their own standards. U.S. EPA proposed wood laminate regulations in 2013 that will probably be finalized later this year or in 2016.

Lorired5

Rough_Rock
Re: Do some states have stricter standards for kids' product

VRBeauty|1444495772|3936972 said:
The bookcase is probably made of a wood laminate that emits more formaldehyde than is allowed under California's 2007 Composite Wood Products law. Formaldehyde is a toxic compound - you might recall when FEMA came under fire some of the temporary shelters it made available post-Katrina had formaldehyde levels that made people ill.

Maine bans products that emit high levels of formaldehyde under its "Regulation of Chemical Use in Children's Products" law. The State of Washington similarly has identified formaldehyde as a "chemical of concern for children." I don't know whether these states' regulations piggy-backed on California's regulation (most likely) or if they established their own standards. U.S. EPA proposed wood laminate regulations in 2013 that will probably be finalized later this year or in 2016.

Thanks for that information. I've always been cautious of furniture every since the lumber liquidators had incredibly high levels of chemicals in their products.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results