color
clarity

I'm considering (finally) learning how to text

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1444088828|3935178 said:
Maria D|1444088238|3935174 said:
Kenny, what type of phone do you have?

I have the ultimate phone, this awesome $19.99 Nokia.
Works like a champ and came with a free battery charger. :sun:
It even has a calculator and a flashlight. :o :appl:
I think it can send a text because I do get a text from the service provider when my pre-paid balance is low. Well, I know it can receive text, but I have never tried to send one.

It must be very very fine since everyone who sees it wants to show it to their friends and. coworkers
Their friends say things like, "OMG, I cannot BELIEVE your have THIS phone!".

BTW, Zanzapuss paid just shy of $1,000 for his phone ... the latest fanciest apple something.
When we're out and about nobody has ever asked to see HIS phone.
He pays over $100 a month.
I pay less than $15 monthly.
OMG I'd rather light myself on fire.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Kenny, My Kenny: Texting is the $h*t, you'll love it. Get a current phone, though. :lol: I just gave up my crappy old Virgin LG and went to Costco for my Samsung Galaxy 6 and pad charger :love: :love: :love:

Texting, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways: When my cleaning professional screwed me around for the last time, instead of having to phone her my decision, I texted it to her! Saved her feelings and me angst! (In my defense, every time she cancelled me it was via text, or in other words, she started it!!!)

Take the plunge!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
azstonie|1444095296|3935229 said:
Oh Kenny, My Kenny: Texting is the $h*t, you'll love it. Get a current phone, though. :lol: I just gave up my crappy old Virgin LG and went to Costco for my Samsung Galaxy 6 and pad charger :love: :love: :love:

Texting, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways: When my cleaning professional screwed me around for the last time, instead of having to phone her my decision, I texted it to her! Saved her feelings and me angst! (In my defense, every time she cancelled me it was via text, or in other words, she started it!!!)

Take the plunge!

Broke up with a crappy lawn service the same way - PLUS the bonus is that I had a record of all our communications because it was via text!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Great!
Dumping our domestic servants via text is more guilt-free. :appl:
No eye-contact.
Easy Peasy!
None of those pesky ... feelings.

Gee Whiz! I'm gonna learn texting right away. :rolleyes:
Oh wait ... I just remembered ... we have no domestic servants.

When I bought a lawn mower and edger and let my lawn service go 10 years ago I looked him in the eye, said thank you, shook his hand and gave him a nice gift for his family.

What a cold and ugly new world this new technology is brilliantly accommodating. :nono:
Come to think of it, maybe I should back away from the texting quicksand.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1444096620|3935236 said:
Oh Great!
No eye-contact.
Easy Peasy!

When I bought a lawn mower and edger and let my lawn service go 10 years ago I looked him in the eye, said thank you, shook his hand and gave him a nice gift for his family.

What a cold and ugly new world this new technology is brilliantly accommodating. :nono:

Well considering that it was a lawn service that was ripping me off, charging me for work when I found out via neighbors that they hadn't shown up in months, I really didn't feel that they deserved a gift nor a handshake.

I know it's your nature, but no need to be pious about your choice not to text when you came to ask for opinions on the benefits of it. Text or don't. If someone stops communicating with you because they'd prefer you text when you prefer to call then I suppose you can cross that bridge when you get there.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did I say your domestic deserved a gift or a handshake?

Just sounds like texting is so cold and impersonal.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it's definitely cold and impersonal.

Which is what makes it so good. :lol:

But in all seriousness - it does make it easier to do hard things especially for introverts :bigsmile: - easier to text "sorry I can't make your party :(( " than to have to call. ::) But I think most of us wouldn't use text for close friends or people or vendors we feel "deserve" a phone call...we suck it up and make the call. But in cases when they don't, yeah it's easier...and I see it as a little gift. :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, like you I never wanted to text and was pushed into it kicking and screaming (well not literally lol) a few years ago. I was so resistant to it and in fact I was also pushed into getting a mobile phone in 2003 as I had always refused that as well. My dh though came home one day in 2003 and said here's your mobile phone too bad. LOL so began my love and hate relationship with the mobile phone. Fast forward 10 plus years ahead (a few years ago) and that was around the time I started texting finally though I was quite reluctant all the way.

What happened is we got a new phone plan and texting was now included so it was *free*. Not free of course but we were no longer going to be charged by text (my dh had been texting for a while at this point with me being the lone holdout) so I just decided let me see what all this brouhaha is all about. LOL and I never (well sort of) looked back.

I love texting now but it is again a love hate relationship. It affords me easier communication with someone I cannot reach at that time due to time differences/scheduling differences etc. However it certainly can be a very passive aggressive way to communicate. For example if I don't want to talk with someone I can just text them and feel like I am keeping in touch. With my MIL, my BIL, my mother etc. Haha I am noticing a pattern here. Now that is sort of passive aggressive in my book but it works for me. I might not have called them anyway and this way at least I am keeping the lines of communication open.

But for the most part I use it more as a tool for when I cannot speak with someone because of time and scheduling differences but need to say something to them right then. So it is more useful than not for me. And I try not using it in a negative way because it is preferable to pick up the phone in many instances if one has something to say that is an important issue vs just a light side note.

I also love it for a scheduling tool when you are trying to get everyone together you just do a multiple text to all those in the group and voilà easy peasy. I love it for scheduling my cleaning people too and as someone wrote then you have a written record of when they are coming because my memory is so poor these days and I am so disorganized with scheduling that this really helps me. I know this is not your case but just adding it as an illustration of why texting is helpful for me and perhaps you can extrapolate how it could be helpful for you.

I will say I have been texting much more this last year than ever before thanks to some new friends who live in different time zones and we all have busy schedules. This way we get to "chat" more often than if we relied solely on the phone so I really love it for that.

Anyway texting is a good thing for many people for many different reasons but much like all technology texting has its bad aspects as well. It is really up to you to use it as you see fit or not use it at all. Like it or not it is here to stay and if you see it working into your life however that may be great but if you see no need or benefit to it then so be it. What is right for many does not mean it is right for you. And as others have said it works more easily with a smartphone. I could have never dealt with texting on an old school phone. That requires too much effort for me. Good luck with your decision.

kefira

Shiny_Rock
Kenny, you can consider just texting from your computer. I'm sure a bit of googling can point you in the right direction for your situation. For example, I use Google Hangouts for all for my IM, texting, and video chatting needs wrapped in one neat app that I can access through my Gmail, my tablet, or my phone. Apple has their own stuff they use. You won't have to pay anything (I don't think, anyway, I really don't know about Apple products). There are also many other providers of similar services online - free or otherwise, but I'm not familiar with them myself.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We can text to/from our email as well and that's nice. I left my phone at home the other day and I used my work email to text JD's phone to ask him something. I use it to text my lead teacher the times she is taking a class or doing whatever out of the room so I don't have to use my texts on my phone. We don't have unlimited texts.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Between posting on here and the amazing shots you take of your stones, I think you will be just fine with texting Kenny.

If you do learn just don't be like my mother, she learned how about a year ago and now we all get these crazy long essays every freakin' day :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1444083776|3935148 said:
I am an introvert and do hate long rambling phone conversations. I get to the point and say Bye.
Why would introverts prefer texting to phone or email? (you may push me over the edge, here)

The same with texting, which I prefer over the phone. Just type your short sentence and be done with it. You don't even need to say "Bye". And like the telephone, you don't have to answer every text. Just read it and ignore it if you like.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1444135873|3935331 said:
kenny|1444083776|3935148 said:
I am an introvert and do hate long rambling phone conversations. I get to the point and say Bye.
Why would introverts prefer texting to phone or email? (you may push me over the edge, here)

The same with texting, which I prefer over the phone. Just type your short sentence and be done with it. You don't even need to say "Bye". And like the telephone, you don't have to answer every text. Just read it and ignore it if you like.

I don't know proper texting etiquette but I will say in general, that if you ignore my text I will find it rude. JMO. Like with any other form of communication be it texting/phoning/emailing etc if you ignore my attempts to communicate with you then I will realize I am not a valued friend and take it for what it is worth. Friendship is as communication is a two way street so ignoring me will speak volumes. Though that is probably what you are intending it to do anyway.

I want to learn how to text from my computer. That is cool and sounds like an easy solution to Kenny's problem of using his old school phone to text. :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the way I am and my friends know this. This is also why I have a very small circle of friends. I also do not always respond to DH's texts and he understands why. I do not like to chit chat. An extrovert is different, may not understand how an introvert operates, and find this rude. DH is an extrovert yet never picks up the telephone. :think:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I partially agree with what everyone else has said. I hated the whole idea of texting for years. I don't even remember why I started texting but it was love at first text. I'm an extreme introvert and texting is great. No awkward silences. No trying to figure out the socially appropriate thing to say. No long, prolonged time on the phone while I wish I could go back to whatever I was doing before the phone rang. With texting, I can answer when it's convenient and I have a record of who said what since my memory isn't what it used to be.

I have an iPhone now but I think texting on the old phone was better. After a little practice, I could send a text with my hand in my pocket and I didn't need my reading glasses. With the new phone, I need reading glasses and autocorrect is not my friend.

I still prefer maps but the rest of the technology on my phone is great. My phone has replaced my alarm clock, stereo receiver, calculator, thermostat, camera and home computer. It sounds a lot cheaper when you think of it that way. It also entertains me when I'm stuck at a doctor's office which is nice because they don't have magazines in the waiting room like they used to.

Kenny, just try it and if you hate it, you can never do it again.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I'm very grateful for everyone's input.
So, texting is a good fit for introverts; I had no clue.

The social/cultural/etiquette aspects of using a phone vs. email vs. text intrigue me.
Sounds like saying the same thing in the same way on the phone, as you'd say in a text, would be rude.
It's hugely curious and illogical that certain customs got attached to certain technologies when they are all really the same thing, just communication tools.
You'd think if there was a better way to do it we'd all just do it that way on all tools.

My friends have iPhones with Siri.
For texting you just talk and 'she' translates into text.
That sounds like the ultimate in ease, no fumbling fingers but iPhone 6 pricing is lunacy! :roll:
Maybe I'll consider a new iPhone 5 or maybe 4 or a used one, but then there's the data contract I want to avoid.
To avoid a contract you have to buy an 'unlocked' phone which adds hundreds to the price. :angryfire:
Since my use is so low I love cheapo prepaid and I don't value internet access enough to pay for it on a phone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shut Siri off because she doesn't seem to be able to understand what I am saying. Guess she doesn't like my accent. :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My biggest fear is I will turn into one of THEM! :errrr:

I HHHHAAAATTTEEE that EVERYONE is now staring at their phones.
I hate it.
Did I say I hate it?

While driving is bad enough but even in restaurants many tables will have large groups of people or couples on a date and and every face at the table is lit up blue by a phone screen. :roll:

It's like invasion of the pod people.
I even notice some young people I encounter have a problem with eye contact ... and don't even try to strike up a conversation with them. :roll:
I resent how phones have fvked up our society while they charge many many times what they should for the service.
Profits are obscene, meanwhile we've become crackheads, heroin addicts walking around like zombies with needles stuck in our arms.

I guess I am pious about all this.
A pious grumpy old man, I am.

Rant over.
There, I feel much better now. :D

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1444149365|3935394 said:
I shut Siri off because she doesn't seem to be able to understand what I am saying. Guess she doesn't like my accent. :lol:

Siri-ously?
I'd sue! :D

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1444090698|3935199 said:
THEY OVERCHARGE, BUT EVERYONE JUST PAYS IT. :knockout: :knockout:

My plan - unlimited text, unlimited data including use from other countries, 300 minutes per month including roaming when I'm in other countries is £15 (about $23) per month. The phone was $150 and the last one I had lasted me over 3 years. Cheap!! I wouldn't say that's overcharging. I'm on the internet a lot and call my parents in the US for 3 cents per minute.

I do hate texting though. It's not very quick. Emailing it much quicker because I type with all 10 fingers. I do use text for very quick conversations and would recommend you do for that. It's much quicker to text "3pm Wed at yours good?" than to call someone and do the "you alright?" "yeah, fine, you?" "yeah, listen man, I wanted to practice this week" "me too, when's good for you?" "how about 3pm tomorrow?" "sure thing" "yours okay?" "that's cool" "great, see you then." "see you." "bye."

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhea|1444150404|3935403 said:
It's much quicker to text "3pm Wed at yours good?" than to call someone and do the "you alright?" "yeah, fine, you?" "yeah, listen man, I wanted to practice this week" "me too, when's good for you?" "how about 3pm tomorrow?" "sure thing" "yours okay?" "that's cool" "great, see you then." "see you." "bye."

That's the thing.
Why don't we just get our friends/family together and all agree to use the phone efficiently like we use text and agree that it is not rude.
All this stuff is just made up and agreed with anyway.

Why do we not feel free to do what is better?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't want to agree to not saying bye at the end of a phone conversation. If I started a conversation with "Wed 3pm good for you?" and the other person said "sounds great, see you then." and hung up that'd feel very odd to me. How does one know when the other person is done and that the next line wouldn't be "I was thinking of maybe trying this new chord out..."

Like much in life, there are different forms of communication for different circumstances. When phoning that does, by general agreement, mean properly ending the conversation rather than hanging up when one person decides their query has been answered. It's more formal than texting. You're welcome to do that it your own life but I don't think it'd catch on. If you want informal and quick, try texting and see what you think. With texting you aren't entering into a conversation with someone as such. If they are out, they aren't responding right away and you're not waiting around for them. Formality is less and ending a conversation isn't done by agreement in saying "bye" since it's not really a conversation in the same way.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know Kenny, you're talking about a gateway form of communicating. First a few texts a month, then maybe, a selfie. Then, cute pics of your dogs. It's a dangerous step, tread lightly.

I'm the kind of introvert who leaves their phone at home on my night stand. It almost never leaves the house with me. Don't even ask me why I have one. I only use it to text family members. To send grocery lists. I don't even have to ask where they are, I have an app that tracks their phones with GPS. Of course, mine always says I'm home, because that's where my phone stays. :bigsmile: I've actually used Google a few times lately, whoah, that was heavy stuff for me. I swear I can quit cold turkey any time I want.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra|1444152861|3935428 said:
I don't know Kenny, you're talking about a gateway form of communicating. First a few texts a month, then maybe, a selfie. Then, cute pics of your dogs. It's a dangerous step, tread lightly.

It's true. Happened to my 60 something year old MIL. Who knew finally insisting the woman have a phone because we got tired of losing her in shops could lead to so much and so quickly!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you will love it Kenny. It's easy efficient and convenient. I learned 3 years ago. Was against it. But have found it to be great way of communicating.

I also like that I can get a message across and don't have to do it on the phone and not have the guilt associated if I can't make something, or don't want to do something.. Makes like a lot easier.... ;))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh|1444153445|3935430 said:
I think you will love it Kenny. It's easy efficient and convenient. I learned 3 years ago. Was against it. But have found it to be great way of communicating.

May I ask, if you can recall, why were you against it and what got you to finally jump in?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1444096620|3935236 said:
Oh Great!
No eye-contact.
Easy Peasy!

I asked my cleaner to call me to communicate with me for cancellations, it was she who handled every communication with me via text. So after constant cancellation and doing a lousy job when she did deign to show up, yep, I fired her the same way---and it was impersonal, I did not comment on her reliability, work ethic or quality of work, just that I was handling it myself now. I like impersonal when it comes to how the general world interacts with me.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I recently picked up a new prepaid tracfone smartphone (not iPhone) on eBay. Includes service for a year and 1200 minutes, 1200 texts, maybe? More than I'll need anyway. It was $99.99. I just bought it as a family phone to be used by my boys in case of emergencies while at extracurricular activities. Whoever needs it uses it. Something to consider maybe. No contracts to worry about.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1444154148|3935432 said:
Kaleigh|1444153445|3935430 said:

May I ask, if you can recall, why were you against it and what got you to finally jump in?

I guess because I didn't get it?? I was satisfied with emails.. But my friends were like this is so easy, so efficient.. And of course my kids texted so I gave in to join them and my friends...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't have any sort of mobile phone at all until about a year ago. When I got one, I decided I might as well go all in and got an iphone5. I have to say that I use it much more than I thought I would, and I'd hate to give it up. I did not turn into one of "those" people though, and I doubt that I will. I grew up not needing spoon-fed entertainment and I still enjoy taking in the sights and sounds around me much of the time. So how do I use my smart phone?

• My brothers and SILs are all smart-phone enabled and prefer texting over email for most things. They're all more likely to respond to a text than an email in a timely manner. We've had some family emergencies, and we coordinate on checking in on my father, and texting makes it much easier.

• I've used the map function when traveling outside of my usual environs. Just a few weeks ago I was visiting a friend in Minnesota. I had the directions he'd given me over the phone by my side, but there were times when I used the phone to make sure I got that tricky interchange etc. right. The phone's mapping system also lets me know how far/long I have to go until I reach my destination, which allowed me to make a few stops on my return trip without worrying about arriving late to the airport.

• I dine out solo quite a bit and one of my pet peeves is having to listen in on other people's conversations... and some people seem determine to "share" their conversations with nearby tables. I-phone and noise-cancelling earphones to the rescue! (I often use music downloaded onto youtube - no planning ahead required!)

• camera, calculator, alarm clock...

• I knit. I keep track of my yarn inventory, patterns, etc. via an on-line site that I can check remotely on my iphone.

• I love reading magazines when I'm waiting in the doctor's office. If I see a recipe that looks good, I can just snap a picture of it!

• I've checked on-line reviews of products that caught my eye in the stores... I'm not an amazon devotee though, and will often buy in a B&M unless there's a really significant price difference.

I hear you on the cost and the potential for being sucked in... but I've found that my smart phone is a nifty little tool to have around.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results