shape
carat
color
clarity

Beauty Products You Are Loving...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just tried Wen, on recommendation from my neighbor, a retired hairdresser.
I have healthy, thick hair that isn't processed at all. I've been using Pantene for years and years.
However, Wen left my hair feeling really great, soft and voluminous.
Now, if I could only justify spending $30 a bottle..............

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I know a lot of people that Like Wen, but it was terrible for my hair. I made the mistake of trying it for the first time by taking a sample bottle on a big trip. It made my hair feel heavy & greasy and I was stuck using it or the resort products.
While on the topic of hair products, if anyone wants/needs a good drug store conditioner - Neutrogena Triple Moisture mask and Deep Daily Conditioner are fabulous.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1443850990|3934354 said:
Madam Bijoux|1443832214|3934280 said:
Kat Von D has a line of fabulous lipsticks. Much better colors than the $90.00 ChristianLouboutin ones.

Do they stay on? I need lipstick that is like glue. Just looked it up. Looks like the liquid is longlasting. Going to give it a shot next time I'm in the store (I refuse to buy lipstick online).

I don't have any of the liquid ones but I have several of the regular KVD lipsticks and they last much longer on me than any other lipstick I own.

ming

Shiny_Rock
House Cat|1437234502|3904468 said:
Does anyone have a good nude lipstick? Nudes tend to turn orange on my skin. I have tried a bunch of nudes! Does anyone else have this problem?

Have you tried Bobbi Brown? Her nudes are great. I like Brown and have gone through a few tubes.

ming

Shiny_Rock
House Cat|1437234502|3904468 said:
Does anyone have a good nude lipstick? Nudes tend to turn orange on my skin. I have tried a bunch of nudes! Does anyone else have this problem?

Have you tried Bobbi Brown? Her nudes are great. I like Brown and have gone through a few tubes.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wen is seriously one of the worst things I've ever put near my hair. It ranks with Pureology shampoo and conditioner, and anything from Matrix. Worst. Ever.

Destroys my color, makes my hair feel like straw.

Gypsy|1443851105|3934357 said:
Didn't do anything for me. It had NO coverage, wouldn't "set" and even with powder, migrated all over the place.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are there other shampoos that don't have the..what is it in shampoos that is not good for you hair? Sulfates? What other shampoos are "good" for your hair? I'm using something from the salon now-after this last time I got my hair colored my hair is pretty damaged.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sulfates don't do damage to my hair, ime. I've actually had more damage done to my hair and color by the sulfate free ones. Something has to replace that stuff and it's not like everything they replace it with is any better.

I feel like this is the next big "trend" that's just spiraled out of control.

teklit

Rough_Rock
My DH has rosacea (pink cheeks), his dermatologist figured out that SLS was aggravating his condition.

The hubs started buying Nature's Gate shampoo and body wash... I really like it!!
Not only is it a nice shampoo, it's cheap, like suave cheap (If you buy it online and not at the organic grocery store- it was twice the price there).

It also makes an excellent bubble bath!!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1443905725|3934546 said:
Are there other shampoos that don't have the..what is it in shampoos that is not good for you hair? Sulfates? What other shampoos are "good" for your hair? I'm using something from the salon now-after this last time I got my hair colored my hair is pretty damaged.

It's not necessarily that sulfates aren't good for your hair (although they can make hair dry, brittle, frizzy, etc.) - they can be irritants/cause allergies too. They are added because they work well to cut through dirt/grime/oils and they make the product lather/foam better. Another reason why some people don't like sulfates is because they are not sustainable. Sulfates are synthetic ingredients partially based on sulfur, which is derived from petrolatum or other sources (making them a non-renewable resource).
I like Alterna Caviar shampoos/conditioners/styling products (no sulfates).

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1443922806|3934623 said:

It's not necessarily that sulfates aren't good for your hair (although they can make hair dry, brittle, frizzy, etc.) - they can be irritants/cause allergies too. They are added because they work well to cut through dirt/grime/oils and they make the product lather/foam better. Another reason why some people don't like sulfates is because they are not sustainable. Sulfates are synthetic ingredients partially based on sulfur, which is derived from petrolatum or other sources (making them a non-renewable resource).
When they took the sulfates out is when that line started to suck for me lol. The Caviar line was SO GREAT, til then!

I am allergic to SO MUCH and am so sensitive, and the stuff that replaces sulfates does more harm to me than good. Just sayin.

dontaskme

Rough_Rock
Never posted here before but I'm a beauty product whore.

I'll start by saying that my skin is very oily, so what works for me probably wouldn't work for someone with dry skin.

After using smashbox primer for years I got a sample of the hourglass primer and it's amazing! It is pretty pricey so might not be worth it for some people.

I love Tarte creaseless concealer and when I really want a flawless face I " bake "it with Ben Nye powder.

I bought two faced Vegas Nay Stardust palette and I think it's amazing, I have green eyes and the colors are amazing, reddish browns and purples that make my eyes pop.

I love makeup forever true matte makeup and their HD powder. I find nothing else gives me that airbrushed perfect face look. It is not a natural look by any means but looks great in pictures.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last two products I purchased from MAC and Nars were completely fabulous.

MAC's Russian Red lipstick was the exact on-the-nose red I have been searching for since oh, age 15 or so! It pulls my entire look together (I wear mostly black and Converse sneakers, so the red lips give my look a nice feminine pop of color). Every other lipstick was too pink, orange, or purple. To find a color that works this well is awesome.

The MAC Strobe Cream is also A+. My skin feels sooooo soft and good, plus it has minerals in it which brighten and bounce light off my skin. My makeup looks like it was airbrushed on.

Last but not least, I purchased a Nars lip crayon in Cruella for a fancy schmancy brunch, and it makes me look like a porcelain doll in a good way. I have fair skin which can border on sallow and this is a darker shade that lets me work the pale.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got a sample pack of the Dinair airbrush foundations. I saw on a make up blog, the woman uses just a brush to apply them instead of the actual airbrush. I got the light pack but I've not tried them yet-the last few times I've tried foundations light enough to match my neck, my face looks funny. Ashy or something.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
ame|1443923344|3934626 said:
momhappy|1443922806|3934623 said:

When they took the sulfates out is when that line started to suck for me lol. The Caviar line was SO GREAT, til then!

I am allergic to SO MUCH and am so sensitive, and the stuff that replaces sulfates does more harm to me than good. Just sayin.

And that may be the case for you - everyone reacts differently to different ingredients. I've only used the sulfate-free Caviar line, which works really well for me, so I don't have anything to compare it to. It lathers well and doesn't seem to have any "negatives" (like dry, brittle hair). I have lots of products with sulfates too. In fact, I don't seek out sulfate-free specifically. However, if I find good products, and they happen to be sulfate-free, I consider that a bonus.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Regarding shampoo. I use exclusively sulfite free. And I have no issue paying for hair products.

I personally have used Pureology for years. But recently they changed their formulations and discontinued both their best products, IMO.

I tried the Nano Works shampoo and conditioner from them, which is what replaced those products. And I found them very drying. And I have virgin hair that is unprocessed. And I don't wear product. All I do to my hair is blow dry it twice a week. So seriously drying if it can effect my hair and make it crispy. And for the price it was just completely dissappointing. Their shampoo is 50 bucks for 8 ounces! It goes a lot way (very concentrated) but NOT worth it at all.

I HATE changing hair products because my hair is my one feature I really feel is part of my identity. When my hair looks bad nothing can make me feel good about my looks. And I also am allergic to a LOT of shampoos as they make my scalp break out in nasty welts. :knockout:

So...with a lot of anxiety I tried new conditioners. Found one hair mask I really like: Wella Luxe Oil. A small amount goes really far and my hair sucks it in and I can tell after I use it that it's been effective. But even with that added to my routine once a week the Nano Works was too drying. So...

One night I decided to give this Shampoo and conditioner a try: http://www.livingproof.com/buy/restore-shampoo?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-b2wBRDcrKerwe-S5c4BEiQABprW-KAhndjP80coKgkumnh7gu2_I3eLd4maX61F6gDbB9oaAu4s8P8HAQ

I was pleasantly surprised. Two weeks now and no allergies. And it has improved my hair condition noticeably. It's softer and more manageable already. The only issue is that my scalp is oily and I can tell I'll need a clarifier occasionally even with regular shampooing. They also gave me a bunch of samples of their other products that I plan to try when we are on vacation next month, so I'll tell you how it goes.

And the price is really reasonable, IM0 (especially compared to the Pureology).

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^ :dance: Yay! I'm glad that you found a brand that seems to be working, gypsy. I might give that Wella conditioner a try.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've tried every beauty product I could find.
This is the only one that has improved my appearance ...

screen_shot_2015-10-04_at_8.png

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wasn't sure if this was worth a separate thread--does anyone do their own nails regularly? London and I had three mani/pedi treats over the summer..and while I'm sure it's cheaper here than in bigger cities, it's still expensive in my eyes-it's about $100 for the two of us. Even if we only go monthly, that's 1200/year! (plus the place we go is 45 miles away b/c in our town nails are done at salon's by the stylists, so we can't get ours done at the same time and good heavens 3+ hours at the salon for nails is mind numbing)

One of my friends is having a Jamberry party on FB and I happened to be toodling around on the party page and saw Jamberry has a gel nails system called Trushine. https://kojamms.jamberry.com/trushine/

I've not looked for other gel systems, I just was curious when I saw it if others use anything, not specifically this one necessarily.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
teklit said:
My DH has rosacea (pink cheeks), his dermatologist figured out that SLS was aggravating his condition.

The hubs started buying Nature's Gate shampoo and body wash... I really like it!!
Not only is it a nice shampoo, it's cheap, like suave cheap (If you buy it online and not at the organic grocery store- it was twice the price there).

It also makes an excellent bubble bath!!

I love Nature's Gate products too! Their natural roll-on deodorant is far and away the best I've ever used (like, it actually DOES work). Spring Fresh is the best fragrance, IMO.

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
Packrat, I have never used jamberry products, but I have been doing my own gel polish for almost a year and I love it. I have quite a few different brands of color, but my base and top coats are Gelish brand. There is a little bit of a learning curve to application, and it definitely takes more time than applying regular polish, but once you're done there's no waiting for it to dry.

I consistently get 2+ weeks of wear, and it gives my nails a lot of extra strength so they don't break. It might be worth noting that people's individual chemistry can work with some brands better than others, so if you try some gel polish and it doesn't stay on as it should, try out some different brands before giving up completely. Hope that helps!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shampoo and conditioner recommendations:

I also use sulfate free because of my skin and allergy issues. I love Giovanni tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner and also their smooth as silk shampoo and conditioner. I alternate b/w the 2. My hair is fine (thin) and curly and this works for me.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1443940809|3934671 said:
One night I decided to give this Shampoo and conditioner a try: http://www.livingproof.com/buy/restore-shampoo?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-b2wBRDcrKerwe-S5c4BEiQABprW-KAhndjP80coKgkumnh7gu2_I3eLd4maX61F6gDbB9oaAu4s8P8HAQ

I was pleasantly surprised. Two weeks now and no allergies. And it has improved my hair condition noticeably. It's softer and more manageable already. The only issue is that my scalp is oily and I can tell I'll need a clarifier occasionally even with regular shampooing. They also gave me a bunch of samples of their other products that I plan to try when we are on vacation next month, so I'll tell you how it goes.

I like LIving Proof's dry shampoo they just put out, as well as the "PRIME" tube of styling cream stuff. I use the Prime every time I wash my hair, right out of the shower. It is the only legit styling product I use.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding shampoo. I use exclusively sulfite free. And I have no issue paying for hair products.

So...with a lot of anxiety I tried new conditioners. Found one hair mask I really like: Wella Luxe Oil. A small amount goes really far and my hair sucks it in and I can tell after I use it that it's been effective. But even with that added to my routine once a week the Nano Works was too drying. So...

One night I decided to give this Shampoo and conditioner a try: http://www..livingproof.com/buy/restore-shampoo?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-b2wBRDcrKerwe-S5c4BEiQABprW-KAhndjP80coKgkumnh7gu2_I3eLd4maX61F6gDbB9oaAu4s8P8HAQ

I was also pleasantly surprised how nice my (colored treated) was after using these products. And their "volume" mousse is one of the few products that works well with my hair type. I'm lovin it!

cheers--Sharon

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1444091336|3935207 said:

One night I decided to give this Shampoo and conditioner a try: http://www...livingproof.com/buy/restore-shampoo?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-b2wBRDcrKerwe-S5c4BEiQABprW-KAhndjP80coKgkumnh7gu2_I3eLd4maX61F6gDbB9oaAu4s8P8HAQ

I was also pleasantly surprised how nice my (colored treated) was after using these products. And their "volume" mousse is one of the few products that works well with my hair type. I'm lovin it!

cheers--Sharon

Happy to hear another success story with their products. I'm glad you found a mouse that works for you!

I'm really looking forward to trying their "perfect hair day" product. We will be in LV and my hair always looks like hell there, so... it's a good trial.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gave the hyaluronic acid serum a go but unfortunately, I'm still breaking out with very deep rooted bumps that takes weeks to resolve. I saw a Wilma Schumann sensitive skin serum and am giving it a try. It supposedly removes the redness over time, in addition to providing some moisture for dry skin.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this thread.

I was going to write about Nars eyeliner pencil in Kaliste, but it seems it's been discontinued and Nars now only does the pencil in two colors!! Kaliste was a beautiful deep sea-green, dark enough not to look disco-Eighties but green enough to make a nice change from brown and black.

I also think very highly of Clinique's Quickliner Intense For Eyes. It goes on well without dragging the skin at all. I've tried Nars and Lancome eyeliners, and this probably goes on the easiest - and there are 14 shades, too! Many other brands only have a few shades in the eyeliners.

I also love Clinique's lipstick, so many colors and textures, and much cheaper than many other brands. The shade Apple Brandy in the Buttershine lipsticks is the most gorgeous fall deep red/coral.

The Bobbi Brown lipstick in Peachy is a wonderful peach color with a beautiful sheen.

To illustrate my point about Clinique being good value, the Clinique lipstick I mentioned above is $17 while the Bobbi Brown is $27, and I don't see any difference in choice or quality.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1443905438|3934544 said:
Wen is seriously one of the worst things I've ever put near my hair. It ranks with Pureology shampoo and conditioner, and anything from Matrix. Worst. Ever.

Destroys my color, makes my hair feel like straw.

Gypsy|1443851105|3934357 said:
Didn't do anything for me. It had NO coverage, wouldn't "set" and even with powder, migrated all over the place.

Good to know. I am trying it out tomorrow. Nordstroms near me didn't have it in store, so I found it at Neiman's and I'll stop by tomorrow to give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results