shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW It's Electric... and Blue! - Electric Blue Topaz stories

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got another electric blue stone from JD, an oval zircon, 5.71ct, 9.14 x 7.20 x 7.53 mm:

jdbluezircon5.jpg

DK :))

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK I love that zircon! Such a deeply saturated "ocean blue". Wonderful!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1443562964|3933263 said:
I got another electric blue stone from JD, an oval zircon, 5.71ct, 9.14 x 7.20 x 7.53 mm:

jdbluezircon5.jpg

DK :))
Oooh! It's gorgeous DK!! Wonderful choice.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone DK. How are all your projects going?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK That is quite the beauty. I'd love to see more pictures. :love:

arabella

Shiny_Rock
I just realized I didn't post these pictures here! I got this topaz from Barry fairly recently. I'll be setting it in a preloved setting I got off of DB soon.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1443824881.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1443824897.jpg

CtrlAltElite

Rough_Rock
^ very nice. How big is it?

arabella

Shiny_Rock
CtrlAltElite: Thank you!! It's 2.3 ct, 7.6mm

CtrlAltElite

Rough_Rock
Thanks. from Davies?

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
650,000.00. Seems some are collectible.

_34724.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arabella: LOVE your stone! Its beautiful and it looks like it might be untreated? Either way, the best rounds in the world are Barry's. Great size too.

arabella

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1443838908|3934314 said:
Arabella: LOVE your stone! Its beautiful and it looks like it might be untreated? Either way, the best rounds in the world are Barry's. Great size too.

Thank you!! :bigsmile: It's treated, but I LOVE the more subdued blue color it has. This is my first stone from Barry and I just love it. I've seen plenty of pictures of his rounds around here so I'm happy to have one of my own. It's such a bright, sparkly stone.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooooo I'd like to see more pics of that Barry topaz Arabella. Not what I would expect from a blue topaz. And a profile shot of the stone too. It looks great on you. Congrats. I have a Barry round I got from another PS'er and I really want another

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Sungura|1443846790|3934345 said:
Ooooooo I'd like to see more pics of that Barry topaz Arabella. Not what I would expect from a blue topaz. And a profile shot of the stone too. It looks great on you. Congrats. I have a Barry round I got from another PS'er and I really want another

It's nighttime where I am but I can definitely take more pictures tomorrow for you! :))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone arabella! It's such a great find! Looking forward to see more pics of your stone. Do you also have a photo of the setting?

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Sungura: Here are some more pictures! It gets very bright outdoors and is softer inside.

Acinom: No pictures yet, it's currently on it's way to me! It's a very simple, 4 claw prong solitaire setting in white gold. I'll post some pictures once it's set if you'd like :))

ebtopaz1.jpg

ebtopaz2.jpg

ebtopaz3.jpg

side_view_5.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arabella that stone is stunning! Wow! I can't get over the subtle yet bright/sparkling nature of the stone, and how perfect the round is. I feel like it's so unique even though I've seen a million round stones. I never knew that Barry had such breathtaking stones! Will have to look at his site more often (it's one I check every once and a while but never have purchased anything).

Please post tons more pics when you have it set! Congrats on such a beauty!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great to see more pics of your beautiful stone arabella. It will look stunning in a simple elegant setting: the stone has enough oomph to stand in it's own.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Arabella I just realized I never responded to your additional pictures. The cut with high crown is superb as is to be expected from Barry Bridgestock. I really love all the colors moods this stone has. I could just look at it all day. Looking forward to seeing it set!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Loving this thread right now. I recently got myself some rough stones as I have been wanting to learn how to cut gems and one of them is a 50 carat sky blue topaz. I am hoping to get a couple nice gems from it for my ill grandmother so I may end up having someone cut it or go to a lapidary club to tutor me and cut it ASAP. It's got a lovely sky blue colour, I know it's not eletric blue but once they are cut I may have to drop a couple pics in here if the colour is nice :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! 50 cts 8-)
Any pics of the rough to share Jordyonbass?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Acinom,

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, if you've been in the Hangout in the last 24 hours then you may have noticed I've had a personal event that has left me a little pre-occupied. I forgot to mention that I also got an 8 ct London blue topaz rough stone at the same time which EVERYONE seems to love. It's the only treated stone I got in my package of topaz and garnets, yet it's the stone everyone loves and wants. So all up I have just under 60 cts of topaz and about 35 carats of garnets to play with.

Both rough probably won't be cut for a little while though as I have a few other things going on in my life as well that I have to take care of however as I stated I want to cut the big chunk for my ill grandmother so I need to get that done before I can't if you understand what I mean. I'll try remember to drop in with pics once it's all done

sky_topaz.jpg

london_topaz.jpg

both_topaz.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are amazing pieces of rough Jordyonbass! Looking forward to see how you will cut them in the (near) future.

Just went over to Hangout and I am so sorry to hear about your loss... It's hard to pick up signs of depression sometimes and if you do there is not much you can do if someone does not want to be helped. I lost a friend as well to depression years ago...

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Acinom,

Thanks for the kind words, this week and it's events have been a bit rough - not just my personal ones but what's happened in Paris as well. I'm kinda just wanting it to stop and things go back to the normal boring drudgery where firemen rescuing kittens in a tree is front page news.

I've been trying to think of what shapes I want for the big chunk, a couple big asschers like Doug Menadue did were my first thought but I'm not sure I'd get as much back as I would for another shape.

I'm probably going to get the work done on the rough early next year, with the holiday season coming closer and wild summer weather on it's way I'm picking I'll be very very busy with emergencies at work and very very broke with the pressies I have to buy :lol:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has your stone been set arabella?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel has acquired a stunning 7.19 ct electric blue Topaz from Brazil.
Looking forward to see your pics Niel!

_1491.jpeg

_1492.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1452622010|3974823 said:

Ooooh Neil, congrats! I was wondering who bought that one--I adore his electric blues, and as always his cutting is superb! Cant wait to see what you do with it! :appl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1452622685|3974826 said:
Acinom|1452622010|3974823 said:

Ooooh Neil, congrats! I was wondering who bought that one--I adore his electric blues, and as always his cutting is superb! Cant wait to see what you do with it! :appl:

Yes I'm very excited. And of course I'll keep you posted, like always :lol:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jordyonbass|1447490602|3949551 said:
Hi Acinom,

Thanks for the kind words, this week and it's events have been a bit rough - not just my personal ones but what's happened in Paris as well. I'm kinda just wanting it to stop and things go back to the normal boring drudgery where firemen rescuing kittens in a tree is front page news.

I've been trying to think of what shapes I want for the big chunk, a couple big asschers like Doug Menadue did were my first thought but I'm not sure I'd get as much back as I would for another shape.

I'm probably going to get the work done on the rough early next year, with the holiday season coming closer and wild summer weather on it's way I'm picking I'll be very very busy with emergencies at work and very very broke with the pressies I have to buy :lol:

New cutters, once they get past cutting marbles, often buy blue topaz and Quartz, as the rough is pretty cheap, especially in the lighter colors. The problem is, these two stone can often be the more difficult stones to polish. The extra time to work on a topaz, vs the low selling price often makes it not really viable to cut, unless you work with very large stones, but then the problems of polishing are even more magnified. Light blue topaz often sells for less than $10 per carat cut, so you really need to cut a large stone to make any sense in cutting the material. If you are going to cut topaz, then go for the London Blue or the Electric blue colors, as the selling price on these is higher.
Quartz is the same thing, it can be problematic to polish, and while deep colors can go for $30 to $60 per cut, stones under 2 or 3 cuts makes no sense. Unless of course you are cutting for the fun of it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results