shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help and Guidance for buying pear blue sapphire

skyline_77

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Been a long-time lurker and student of the many knowledgeable individuals on pricescope. Thank you in advanced for all your contributions and help! My SO and I have had many discussion over the ring and now I'm tasked to make it all become a reality.

I've read the sticky on this thread and many articles about coloured stones and have read many articles on the forum. Nonetheless, I still feel incredibly lost when looking for a stone. This is what I'm looking for:

i) ~2cts (though I know cts aren't really the best indicator of size)
ii) pear cut
iii) to be set on a setting like this (I will probably buy this setting, unless someone has a reason why I should go for another retailer) : http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-and-shank-diamond-engagement-ring-pear-center-item-17441
iv) budget for stone: max is 2.2k (live in Georgia, but have connections to Toronto in Canada if that helps)
v) colour of stone: this is where it gets a little tricky. She wants the color to POP and doesn't like a dark blue sapphire. Based on this colour chart: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-exactly-is-cornflower-blue-royal-blue.144776/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-exactly-is-cornflower-blue-royal-blue.144776/[/URL]
She would like it to be Camelot Blue.

I've looked at these following sites so far but I'm still at a lost for what is "good" and what is not. I would greatly appreciate some stone suggestions, I'm starting to feel the time pressure!
1) jamesallen
2) flawlessfacets
3) finewatergems
4) gemfix
5) mastercutgems

Thanks soooo much for your help!!!

S

SparkliesLuver

Hi, skyline. :wavey: I'm not sure if this is too dark, but I'd be remiss if I didn't list this 2.73ct pear. It's gorgeous, and I think it'd certainly pop if surrounded by white gold and diamonds. Jean is a great guy. If you're interested, I'd shoot him an email to find out the dimensions and price. I'd also mention your budget, since he might be able to work with you, especially considering the project. ;-) [email protected]

http://topnotchfaceting.com/artwork/3834599-496-Sapphire-Taraba-State-Nigeria.html

I'll keep an eye out! :)

_668.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really think you're going to need to contact some cutters as a pear isnot going to be easy to find.

I'd settle in for a bit of a search

So your budget I assume all in is 3k? My first place to check would be Joe escobar. He seems to be good at finding blue sapphires and he can do a halo for you too

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
First of all, congratulations!
Your hunt will be complicated by several things, first, the shape, as has been pointed out already. Pears are not that common.
Color. What your GF wants is the most desirable (and popular) color, and it will be priced accordingly. I would not compromise on this one however. You can work with other things, but give her the color she wants! :wink2:
Size. You say "around 2 carats" but if you can stay slightly under, the price should be better per carat than if you actually go up to or over 2 carats. For each gain in carat weight, you enter another price bracket.
If you have been following this board, you already know prices for nice blue sapphires have gone up as demand has increased faster than supply in the last few years. You can blame royal weddings or Chinese millionaires.
Stay flexible and be patient. Good luck!

skyline_77

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the options and help everyone!

I'll definitely reach out to escobar (watching Narco's on netflix right now too!) and topnotchfacets!

Question about the topnotchfacet stone though. It looks like a turquoise more than a blue to me? Is it just me or does anyone else see this?

And for the stone from multicolor; the price seems a little too good to be true. Is there any reason for such a lower price?

Thanks everyone!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
skyline_77|1443550459|3933194 said:
Thanks for all the options and help everyone!

I'll definitely reach out to escobar (watching Narco's on netflix right now too!) and topnotchfacets!

Question about the topnotchfacet stone though. It looks like a turquoise more than a blue to me? Is it just me or does anyone else see this?

And for the stone from multicolor; the price seems a little too good to be true. Is there any reason for such a lower price?

Thanks everyone!

The multicolor stone seems included I don't think it would be up toce ring standards

S

SparkliesLuver

Came across this and it seems like it has potential. You'd need to ask for additional pictures though. Let me know if you're at all interested and then I'll post the vendor.

_670.png

S

SparkliesLuver

They also have this. I realize it's a lot lighter, but thought it was worth mentioning.

_671.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1443642099|3933549 said:
Came across this and it seems like it has potential. You'd need to ask for additional pictures though. Let me know if you're at all interested and then I'll post the vendor.

IMHO this one is a great saturated color and seems to have potential to be great in person. Just depends on what color preferences you have.

Also I would look at ajs Gems as well, they have some nice pear shaped stones in your price/size range. Like this: http://www.ajsgem.com/sapphire/blue-
sapphire/blue-sapphire-1.52-carats.html

They have similar ones also, but this seemed like a good example.

Edited to add that I've heard great things about top notch faceting, and I love the one posted earlier in this thread. I've only emailed with them once (just to inquire about price of a stone), but they responded quickly and were very professional and kind. So for what it's worth I think they might have some good options.

skyline_77

Rough_Rock
That looks like a beautiful stone Sparklies and the colour really "pops"! If you don't mind posting the vendor or messaging me the vendor that would be great!!!

I just purchased a white sapphire (as this was one of the options she loves) and I should be getting it tomorrow evening in the mail to inspect it. If the stone is what her and I are expecting, then I'll definitely let you all know so that you won't need to continue to help me! In the mean time, I'm going to keep my options open and continue on the blue sapphire search!

Thanks for all your help everyone! I'll keep everyone posted!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1443657370|3933623 said:
Here you go, skyline. I think their search pulls from multiple vendors, but I'd definitely reach out tomorrow. :) Best of luck with the white sapphire. Can't wait to hear how it turns out!

http://www.abragem.com/gallery-colored-gemstones.php

I suggest buying it from pearlmans, not this site, just becuase pearlmans has that same vendor with lower prices.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?type=&shape=&color=&minct=&maxct=&min=&max=&sku=4709

Also, they sell settings, so you could get it all at one place

S

SparkliesLuver

haha Thanks, Niel. :) I was actually just about to check there!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1443657889|3933627 said:
haha Thanks, Niel. :) I was actually just about to check there!

Hah! I got you!

skyline_77

Rough_Rock
You guys are so friendly, helpful and overall pleasant!

I got the white sapphire from finewatergems. I think Gary still has it posted, but it says sold ;-)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
skyline_77|1443659379|3933635 said:
You guys are so friendly, helpful and overall pleasant!

I got the white sapphire from finewatergems. I think Gary still has it posted, but it says sold ;-)

Oh! I know the sapphire. Those are the things she wanted, white or blue sapphire? That's it? Any other gemstones?

skyline_77

Rough_Rock
@Niel,

she was considering either the white or blue. I'm super pleased with the white sapphire and I'm a little tired to post pictures right now, but will do it tomorrow! I think the hunt maybe finally over (been >3 months)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results