shape
carat
color
clarity

Tahitian pearls - Vendor vs. IRL pictures

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
katbran|1425973730|3844767 said:
Yingh - b e a u t I f u l !! That strand is drop dead gorgeous!! Lucky You !! Great photos too !!

Ops, pardon my poor quote attempt - posted from iPad. That stunning strand was not mine (although I wish!). I was just admiring it. It was posted by dmz. I am sure he can appreciate your compliments.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
lol I did get confused !!

DMZ - YOU are the lucky duck that has those fabulous multi-coloured pearls !!!! I'm sure you lovely wife was over the moon when she saw them !! :love:

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Here's my strand. Description from PP: "This versatile necklace features drop Tahitian pearls with intense color variation. The pearls are multicolor and graduate in size from 8.4 to 10.9 mm. The AA+/AAA quality pearls have light blemishes, smooth surfaces, and sharp luster. The finished strand is approximately 18 inches in length, knotted on color-matching silk and finished with a 14-karat white gold matte ball clasp." and glamour photo, followed by a couple of IRL shots.

Here's a link to the thread with more photos sent by PP when I was choosing my strand:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-do-you-think-of-this-tahitian-strand.211096/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-do-you-think-of-this-tahitian-strand.211096/[/URL]

mar_02_2015.jpg

2015-03-11_2.jpg

2015-03-11_3.jpg

2015-03-11_4.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tucs,

They are beautiful!!! Are you happy??? I have to admit that your strand almost pulled me out of Tahitian sobriety. Mmmmmm....Tahitians! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks CMD! Yes, I love them. I thought maybe the blemishes would bother me they are really very minor. They don't detract from their beauty. It's the colours and luster that I see.

mapo

Shiny_Rock
I'm adding a new purchase!

8-11mm AA+ silver baroque Tahitians with blue, green and pink overtones

vender picture
light_silver_tahitian_2.jpg

my pictures
baroque_silver_tahitians_1.jpg
baroque_silver_tahitians_5.jpg

and for fun, a comparison shot with blue akoyas and dark baroque Tahitians
baroque_silver_tahitians_3.jpg

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful Mapo, loving the barrel and acorn shapes. That silvery gloss is super! This is a great thread to revisit.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Love them and they look fabulous on you, mapo!

mapo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Frost Me and Tucs! I'm really enjoying the circled look on the silver t's. It adds a lot of textural interest.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I really, really like the picture of the strand around your neck much more than the pp listing photo. Those are beautiful pearls :appl: :appl: :appl:

juliebeth

Shiny_Rock
oh those are SO lovely! did you expect them to be quite so...SILVER? that vendor photo certainly doesn't do them justice!

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Mapo, WOW! Those pearls look like molten silver ... just beautiful!

mapo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks juliebeth and CRDKeshi.

I thought that the pearls would be softer in luster based on the pics...more of a steel look. But I really like how the pearls look like liquid silver.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They do! They look metallic. My silver ones look much more dove grey with a more satin luster to them. I think they're fantastic and look beautiful on you!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ooooh lucky duck!! I looked at that silver strand and thought it was a beauty ! :love:

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Mapo, that silver strand looks stunning on your neck. I love the liquid silver effect. I like it better on you than in the glamour shot.

Tucs, I have admired your strand before on other threads. It just glows on your neck. It looks so much more lively on you than in the listing photo.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Kay, for your kind words. I have to say I didn't buy it based on the glamour photo -- rather, I asked for I wanted and at the end of the process I requested a glamour photo, which they kindly took for me at PP.

I couldn't be happier with my strand (which is one of the reasons I'm not getting any other strand this sale!). It's so colourful. But it's so hard to tell about Tahitians from photos. Requesting additional photos from the vendor really helped, and so did this thread.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For reference, here is strand TRN 100-1578, comparing the vendor photo, the same strand in the shade outdoors, and on my daughter's neck:

strand_trn_0.jpg

trn_100-1578_in_outdor_shade.jpg

strand_trn_100-1578_on_my_daughter_s_neck_in_light_shade.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my new strand (previously posted on the Tahitians thread):

Description: This unique Tahitian pearl necklace features oval pearls that look round from a distance. The pearls are different shades of green with multicolor overtones, have sharp luster, and gracefully graduates in size from 8.4 to 10.8 mm.

Website picture:

Diffuse natural light:

Direct light neck shots:

oval_tahitians_0.jpg

ovals_direct_light_short_0.jpg

oval_strand_direct_light_short_3.jpg

oval_strand_diffuse_direct_light.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be great if this thread were stickied. Please?

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1415897002|3782685 said:
One of the things I have really appreciated about this thread is the comparison between different light conditions for Tahitians. It made me realize that while colours really pop under certain light conditions (like in a light box, or in indirect light), they often don't show to the same advantage under other lighting. It's why I've loved the shots that people put of their strands under both indirect (ideal) light conditions, and direct natural light. It helped me get a more realistic view of what to expect from my own strands.

As an example of my strands:

In my makeshift light box

In more direct light (IIRC, this was through a blind in my office):

Still beautiful, but not showing all the peacock overtones that you see in the light box. I think it helps us newbies to see the direct light shots so that we don't think that something terribly wrong has happened to our strands (or strand choices) when they arrive and we don't see all the colours that other people's strands seem to have.

hi cmd2014, can i ask what size pearls these are, and how the vendor described the color? thanks!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Heres some pics of my faux harvest, which has different colors and shapes, the glamour shot that PP took which is similar to their vendor pics, and pics with me wearing it in various light

111myharveststrand.jpg

fullsizerender-117.jpg

fullsizerender_126.jpg

fullsizerender_1_38.jpg

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
ckrickett, that strand makes me smile every time I see it! And I love your tattoo...is that an owl?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Pirard|1452702430|3975433 said:
ckrickett, that strand makes me smile every time I see it! And I love your tattoo...is that an owl?

yes, its a barn owl! I had it tattooed off of a painting I did of one several years ago

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Adding my latest acquisition - a strand of cherry Tahitian from PP. Site description called it the most cherry strand they have seen. I'm madly in love.

_1587.jpeg

_1588.jpeg

_1590.jpeg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yingh, I admired those on the website and wondered what they looked like IRL. They really are cherry!

Congratulations! (And how about a neck shot?)

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, i remember those! Congrats yingh!

Please post a neck shot.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yingh,

I'm so glad someone in the family so to speak got those! I've been dying to see them in person! +3 on the neck shot!!!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous cherry pearls, please post more photos!

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
I'd love to see a neckshot of those glorious cherry pearls. Skin tone and just hanging vertical really changes how pearls look.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results